Truck Gun Racks

PDA

littlmak
May 13, 2008, 01:48 AM
I hear the polititions and the media talking about them a lot. But, I haven't seen one in use for years. are they even legal anymore?

If you enjoyed reading about "Truck Gun Racks" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Match14
May 13, 2008, 01:52 AM
I think that would depend on your state's laws. Here in Indiana there isn't a law against it, but I never actually seen one, although I've heard of others having one.

Steve in PA
May 13, 2008, 02:11 AM
Legal here in PA. You see lots of people with guns in the racks during hunting season.

cassandrasdaddy
May 13, 2008, 03:42 AM
the preffered storage metod for a 54 inch level and an umbrellla

Bob R
May 13, 2008, 03:54 AM
I actually saw a pickup with a gun in the gun rack parked at an apartment complex the other day. I was driving by and it was pretty obvious.

bob

Thernlund
May 13, 2008, 03:57 AM
Hmmm... seems irresponsible to just leave a gun in a gun rack, visible and unattended.

I guess your location also factors in. Rural town of 200 people who all know each other, ok. Downtown Dallas, maybe not.

-T.

Gunsby_Blazen
May 13, 2008, 04:39 AM
The reason you don't see that much anymore is because you cant trust anyone. It will get stolen. I live out in rural Illinois and I don't see them around much but every now and then I see one on a country beater. I don't know if they are illegal here, my state is rather strict. I don't think it is illegal though... but I do know that I wouldn't leave it sitting there in my truck, wouldn't want to risk loosing it.

Perhaps there are limitations for individual cities...

p2000sk
May 13, 2008, 04:51 AM
The 1980's and 1990's happened.
Here in my state of Connecticut in about 1984 as a wee little one, I clearly recall that it was common for pickup trucks to legally have rifles/shotguns on the rear window gunrack. It was also common for a used pickup in the classified ad to have options like: New tires, gunrack, winch, plow.
By about 1986 the option "gunrack" was rarely mentioned because you couldn't use it anyway. Feelgood (to who) legislation hard at work.

Here in CT, open carry went away at about the same time as the rifles on a trucks gunrack. Feel +and- about that. If your truck were to be considered an extension of home property, it's your gunrack and I feel you should be able to display whatever you like there.
Here in CT that's a good way to get warned about a charge, at the very least.

p2000sk
May 13, 2008, 04:58 AM
I would reccomend watching a movie called "Wrong turn",
then "Wrong turn 2". Part 2 is a bit cheesy, but there is a truck in
that movie with a gunrack. I think it is a registered short barrel shotgun
or maybe an AOW, anyhow, if you wanna see a gunrack being used,
rent the movies.

jrfoxx
May 13, 2008, 05:37 AM
I've seen it on occasion here. Most racks looked empty, some had something in it. Hard to tell while just driving around though. Perfectly legal here, even if the gun is loaded. I'd love to have a rack with a loaded rifle in it, but as was mentioned, unless you live in serious BFE, in a tiny town, then sadly, the days of the gun being there when you come back, are pretty much over due to scumbag thieves. If I was going out to hunt or target shoot, and knew I wasnt going to be stopping anywhere, I'd do it, but thats it. too risky anymore, at least anywhere around this area IMHO.

If it works for you though, more power too you. Enjoy, and know that I'm envious.

Owens
May 13, 2008, 08:53 AM
Time was when they were used for rifles/shotguns, and in students pickups on school parking lots! GASP! Didn't have problems with it.

Now I see them used more for 4' levels, hot-shots (AKA electric cattle prods), ropes and an occasional gun (in the country) storage spot.

It ain't the rack thats the problem these days. It's whats in it.
I miss seeing the guns on display.

TexasRifleman
May 13, 2008, 08:56 AM
are they even legal anymore?

Prolly still a required option in parts of Texas..... we have NO long gun laws here as a practical matter.

Politicians and the media talk about a LOT of things that don't matter.

The only reason people are not using them to hold guns as much is because theft has gone through the roof.

When I was in high school my varmint rifle hung in the window of my truck in the school parking lot every day for 2 years and never killed anyone.

Gingerbreadman
May 13, 2008, 08:58 AM
In minnesota firearms are required to be secured in a gun case when moving them (I don't think CCW applies). Even if they were legal to use them the way they are intended, I wouldn't, unless I was always in attendance.

I saw a pickup with a gun rack that had a baseball bat in it.

aguyindallas
May 13, 2008, 09:14 AM
Last deer season I saw a truck in north dallas with an SKS hanging from a rack. Almost brought a tear to my eye.

csmkersh
May 13, 2008, 09:18 AM
The last gun rack I mounted to store a rifle was down behind the seat so it couldn't be seen. The one up in the rear window held a lariat.

ashtxsniper
May 13, 2008, 09:22 AM
Had one years ago but you cant trust people nowdays.

TallPine
May 13, 2008, 11:16 AM
There's a bolt action 22 in the window gun rack of my pickup most of the time. It's only in town every couple months or so, to fill with gas and take garbage to the county dump.

It's not that common anymore, but certainly not unseen. I don't think that most of the newer pickups (mostly extended cabs) work that well with a window rack.

3pairs12
May 13, 2008, 11:25 AM
I want a decent one. I bought one of the Wally World jobbers and calapses under weight. It seems as if it doesn't quit extend tall enough for my window. It is a nice way to keep the kid and/or dog of the gun in the back seat of the truck.

TexasRifleman
May 13, 2008, 11:30 AM
I don't think that most of the newer pickups (mostly extended cabs) work that well with a window rack.

I think you hit it there. Regular cab pickups are almost unseen these days and a gun rack that you can't reach from the drivers seat isn't exactly practical and those vertical "cop car" kind of deals just get in the way.

I've seen a couple of overhead "shelf" things that mount up to the headliner but I don't know if they work well or not.

jimmyraythomason
May 13, 2008, 11:36 AM
Time was,here in Alabama the Beautiful, every young man had to have a well equipped pick-up complete with rear window gunrack. A .22 and a chopped mil-surp constantly on display. Not anymore! No law,just common sense.

jimbob86
May 13, 2008, 11:37 AM
...disappeared due to theft risks.

In the mid-80's, my dad and uncle started "Outa-site" gunracks...... a single or double gun rack that mounted above the sun visors, upholstered to match the interior of the vehichle. They worked great, and sold well, but dad and uncle had some kind of falling out, and dad got his money back, and the uncle sold the idea......

I still have one....

As with Texas, our Concealed weapon laws don't apply to long guns........

cracked junior
May 13, 2008, 11:46 AM
i have 2 reasons for not seeing gun racks anymore.

number 1- you cant trust people to leave it in the window.

and number 2. more and more trucks now days are extended cab or crew cab. its just to hard to get out of the truck then open another door, or reach all the over the front seat to reach it.

brighamr
May 13, 2008, 12:31 PM
Yes they are legal in some states. They are for sale at Wal Mart ($12.99).

I use mine primarily if I'm going hunting or camping. If I'm going to town or anywhere else away from my truck, the guns do not stay in the rack.

rdalrymple
May 13, 2008, 12:55 PM
http://www.bigskyracks.com/index.html

Sniper X
May 13, 2008, 01:01 PM
everyonce in a while you see them here with guns in them but never unattended. Allways being driven, never parked. But, almost every older than 80s model truck has one, but usually there isn't anything in it but maybe a long carpenters level.

Prince Yamato
May 13, 2008, 01:06 PM
I think it'd be cool to put one in a smart car (http://www.smartusa.com/). :)

Treo
May 13, 2008, 01:13 PM
Every time I see one it has a level in it

41magsnub
May 13, 2008, 01:18 PM
Is till see them all the time around Montana. I think the back window kind are sort of asking for somebody to steal your gun though, at least around town. I have a headliner mounted one that is not obvious from the outside and works great. It does not fit a lot of my guns, but my main deer rifle and upland game shotgun fit so it works for me.

RangerHAAF
May 14, 2008, 10:41 PM
I carry my rifle in a gun rack in my pick up truck and I live in a metro Atlanta suburb. Of course my windows are heavily tinted(2%) and they obscure all outside observation of my gun rack and the interior of my truck.

I'm from Alabama and I grew up seeing gun racks loaded with rifles. We've abrogated a lot of the legal customs and traditions that we took for granted as children growing up but I do what I can to keep them going in my world.

TallPine
May 14, 2008, 11:13 PM
Another issue is that the plastic covered truck gun rack will mar your guns' stock finish and bluing.

My wife made some little felt "socks" to fit over the U-hooks of my gun rack.

moooose102
May 14, 2008, 11:31 PM
they are NOT in michigan! my nephew got lost and was exhausted when i found him, during rifle deer season many years ago. the truck i had bought had one in when i bought it. we had NOTHING to put the gun in to transport it, and he really needed a ride home. the D.N.R. spotted us and pulled us over. we told him we knew it was not the right way, but really didnt have any other way of transporting it besides hiding the gun behind the seat, and i wanted no part of that (it was a flat bed truck). he let us off, but my nephew had to go to the dnr station the next day to re claim his gun.

publiuss
May 14, 2008, 11:34 PM
I would't have one in my rear window. someone could smash and grab in 5 seconds. The ones that mount to the roof would be much better. Got one in one of my trucks.

Ditto_95
May 15, 2008, 05:19 AM
I saw one the other day. It had a Winchester 94 and a single shot shotgun in it.
I was only a little surprised. I used to see them all the time.
Not so much any more.

Hanzerik
May 15, 2008, 10:29 AM
I've seen a few around here, even out of deer/elk season.

XDKingslayer
May 15, 2008, 02:46 PM
There are quite a few reasons you don't see them anymore.

1. It's hard to install them in most new trucks with the new rear window designs and power rear windows.

2. It's passe. Face it, it's the redneck calling card.

3. People suck and will break into your truck and steal your favorite deer rifle.

pyle
May 15, 2008, 04:04 PM
When I was in high school in the mid 80's here in Oklahoma - we carried our guns to school in gun racks. Of course we had to leave them in the truck in the gun rack. Most of us would go hunting right after school. It's amazing to me just how much times have changed. Doing that today would probably make the news.

luckylogger6
May 15, 2008, 04:37 PM
Up in northern CA I still see them with a rifle or shotgun in them. During hunting season it is not uncommon to see people riding their quad down the county road to “their buddy’s ranch” with a gun in the rack. Last year I saw an early teenage boy walking down the road with a rifle on a sling over his shoulder. Things like this make me laugh at the differences between different parts of this state.

brighamr
May 15, 2008, 05:02 PM
"My wife made some little felt "socks" to fit over the U-hooks of my gun rack." - awesome idea. i've been using regular children's socks... kind of perpetuating the "redneck calling card" :D

Frog48
May 15, 2008, 07:22 PM
I picked up one of these from Cabelas for about $25.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a244/SigEpGrant/Outdoors/TruckRack.jpg

Skofnung
May 15, 2008, 09:11 PM
I've not seen one in use (outside of the National Forest during hunting season) since the mid-90s.

It's one of those sights I sort-of miss.

Can anyone tell me where my America went?

3pairs12
May 15, 2008, 09:23 PM
Grant48 how well does that work?

moooose102
May 15, 2008, 09:35 PM
Can anyone tell me where my America went?
down the toilet! it is being sold out from under our feet at an alarming rate. our fathers and grandfathers would roll over in their graves if they knew what was going on now. very, very, sad!

paintballdude902
May 15, 2008, 09:47 PM
my cousin is switzerland has a smart car its pretty cool......but i love my truck so i win

i got a cheap o gun reack at walmart and it doesnt fit my truck window well dang dakota

Leanwolf
May 15, 2008, 11:02 PM
A gun in a gun rack in the window of a vehicle is nothing more than a large sign reading "STEAL ME!" :what:

L.W.

Frog48
May 16, 2008, 12:36 AM
Grant48 how well does that work?

It works great. Guns slide in and out easily, yet keeps them securely in place while driving. I'm very happy with it.

I also like that it isnt as conspicuous as the window gun racks, hopefully lessening the likelyhood of stuff being stolen. *Knock on wood*

jaeppy74
October 16, 2008, 09:07 PM
Jumbob86, I have read your blog about your dad and uncle and the outa-site gunrack. I bought one about ten years ago in central Nebraska. I have been really looking hard for another one, as I sold that pick-up and the buyer talked me into leaving the gun rack. If you could help me out to get another one or anybody else that knows about one, that would be great.My email is jaeppy74@yahoo.comThanks

cat9x
October 17, 2008, 10:57 AM
when I was a kid growing up in the late 80's early 90's my father had a gun rack in his Chevy Silverado. Anytime we went to the deer lease it had 1 or 2 rifles. No big deal back then.

Liberals get upset and now, and has been for many years, is considered a "rude display of firearm" and you can be ticketed. Here at least.

kurtmax
October 17, 2008, 06:48 PM
I saw a gun rack a few months back. It had a shovel in it.

It's not illegal to have long guns (loaded even) in your vehicle here, but you'd have it stolen the first time you left your truck for more than 30 seconds.

zoom6zoom
October 18, 2008, 12:26 AM
Times sure have changed. Back when I lived in Kansas, we always had a couple of rifles on the rack in the pickup, windows open and truck unlocked. I sure miss living in a small rural town.

moooose102
October 18, 2008, 06:57 AM
well, i havent seen one in years either. but the rack itself is legal here in michigan. however, putting a gun in it is not. so unless you have something specific that you need to haul around in plain sight. there is no reason to have one hear.

U.S.SFC_RET
October 18, 2008, 07:42 AM
Gunracks? I have used them in my teens. Every hunter had them. Redneck calling card? I am a redneck and proud of it. That is my heritge and makes me stick out like a sore thumb to those who don't know the meaning of good southern out in the country values.

CajunBass
October 18, 2008, 08:03 AM
I've got one, but it's laying in the floorboard.

The reason you don't see them anymore is they don't work anymore. There was a time when you could SCREW a gun rack to the cab. You can't sink a screw into plastic and think it's going to stay there to hold the rack up, much less a rifle/shotgun. The ones that slip into the window channel, like the one I've got now, work "ok" as long as you don't have a sliding window. If you do, the double window channel is too wide to hold the rack securly. Extended cabs don't help. I never worried about anyone stealing a gun. I didn't store them there. I carried them where I was going and back home.

Now, back in the day, when I drove Jeep CJ's (Yes, they were actually called "CJ"s back then.) I'd carry my old Sears/Roebuck 12 ga. pump, standing up straight, strapped to the rollbar with a bunjee cord. Talk about Redneck. WHEEEEEEE Doggies, I was. Shoot. I still am, I just don't dip anymore. :D

RangerHAAF
October 19, 2008, 08:33 PM
The new models have suction cups on them to accommodate the window designs of modern trucks. I look forward to the day when open carry becomes the norm here in Georgia.

f4t9r
October 19, 2008, 09:05 PM
back years ago I use to see them. The last several years I do not remember seeing any.

Seafarer12
October 19, 2008, 09:58 PM
The are legal in Texas but you are stupid to use them for anything other than an umbrella. You will leave your truck and come back to find a broken window and no gun. I think that is the main reason nobody uses them anymore.

rondog
October 19, 2008, 10:44 PM
Ha! Reminds me of a guy I worked with once. He was deer hunting and had a loaded Hawken .50 BP rifle in the truck's gun rack. Bouncing down a dirt road, with a cap on the nipple and the hammer down, and it went off right behind his head! Blew a big hole in the cab, filled it with smoke, and he nearly wrecked the truck. Probably STILL can't hear right.

Gingerbreadman
October 19, 2008, 11:27 PM
A friend of mine who just moved from North Dakota has a gun rack anchored to the ceiling of his hunting truck. He was disappointed when we told him he couldn't use it in Minnesota.

RioShooter
October 20, 2008, 07:21 PM
I saw one in South Texas last year. It caught my attention because they are so rare nowadays.

Akalvarez
July 12, 2009, 04:03 PM
Gun Racks are coming back!
http://www.theakforum.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=103390

Dominus
July 12, 2009, 04:51 PM
The only thing more American other then apple pie is a pick-up with a gun rack.
:D

hawmanai
July 12, 2009, 10:15 PM
Me and my buddy were just talking about this.

Where he lives most of the police are transplants from LA or other CA cities, and they treat anybody with a gun like a potential gang member. They left the city and brought thier big city attitudes to what once was a cowtown.

wrs840
July 12, 2009, 10:31 PM
My 1985 Ford F150 (300ci straight-six, manual granny-low 4-speed) pasture truck wouldn't be right without a rear-window gun rack. There's a 30-30 lever and a machete (but no level) hanging in there right now. It's unlocked, and parked about 100 yards from the gravel-road out front, in case anyone wants to come steal it.

Have Fun, Good Luck!
Les

bigalexe
July 12, 2009, 11:04 PM
Here in Michigan i believe the law states the firearm must be in a locked case inaccessible from the driver, ammo cannot be stored in the same case and its preferred not even in the same compartment (ie: if the gun case is in the passenger compartment of a car the ammo should be in the trunk). If you have a CCW the law is a little different but displaying a long-gun will still get you pulled over as will having one visible should another traffic stop occur (so dont put a roof rack in and store a shotgun above your head).

On another note:
I would reccomend watching a movie called "Wrong turn",
then "Wrong turn 2". Part 2 is a bit cheesy, but there is a truck in
that movie with a gunrack. I think it is a registered short barrel shotgun
or maybe an AOW, anyhow, if you wanna see a gunrack being used,
rent the movies.

Cant believe they made a part 2.

razorback2003
July 13, 2009, 11:16 PM
I have seen them used during hunting season in parts of the South. It is legal to have a long gun loaded without any goofy license in the rack back home in Arkansas and many people do in the country. In Tennessee, if you have a permit, you can have the magazine loaded, but not chamber. I wouldn't have a rifle/shotgun in the window of a truck in a populated area because someone will bust the glass and try to steal it.

It is sad that some parts of the country make it ILLEGAL to have a long gun in a rack.....that's almost UnAmerican sounding...but then again I do live in the South where most people own some sort of gun and a lot have 'car guns' (legally or not).

DELTAJOHN
July 15, 2009, 06:31 AM
The 1980's and 1990's happened.
Here in my state of Connecticut in about 1984 as a wee little one, I clearly recall that it was common for pickup trucks to legally have rifles/shotguns on the rear window gunrack. It was also common for a used pickup in the classified ad to have options like: New tires, gunrack, winch, plow.
By about 1986 the option "gunrack" was rarely mentioned because you couldn't use it anyway. Feelgood (to who) legislation hard at work.

Ah yes, that would be me during hunting season back in the 1970's in CT. My shotgun was proudly displayed in my pickup ON SCHOOL GROUNDS, much like everyone else who raced to the woods after school! So happy to be in Virginia where this time honored tradition continues out in the rural counties.

And BTW, where I live, I see them so frequently, racked up with a firearm, that it is commonplace! Yes, my 4X4 '97 F-250 has it's rack filled with an old Montgomery Ward single shot shotgun, that piece, and my diesel tank and dispensing pump, complete my truck as a classic piece of farm equipment!

John

MT GUNNY
July 15, 2009, 01:44 PM
Every truck Ive ever owned, had a Gun rack.

jhco
July 15, 2009, 03:56 PM
people around here use them but mostly in the hunting woods

If you enjoyed reading about "Truck Gun Racks" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!