Activism question

PDA

jaytex1969
May 13, 2008, 03:10 AM
I read the post entitled "You wanna get pissed?" and noticed it was shut down rather quickly.

I concur that a more useful heading could have been chosen, but the OP did quickly steer into an activist minded dialog:

"but importantly, how do we counter fear mongering activism like this"

Was it strictly the heading in this case?

If you enjoyed reading about "Activism question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
p2000sk
May 13, 2008, 06:10 AM
Gee, maybe the OPs statement of this?
I really want the rounds that blow up houses.
As a general rule, certain inflamatory statements are not only
discouraged, but may be cause for thread closure.

While less bothersome, I won't say anything analogywise about the
.50 cal/eyes statement.
Here is the link.
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=362740

BullfrogKen
May 13, 2008, 06:36 AM
I think I was quite clear when I posted the reason for the closure:

Threads in Activism require more than just getting pissed. They must contain an action plan.

Activism is not a political venting or complaint forum.

And questions about moderating issues should be started in Tech Support, which is where I moved this to.

hso
May 13, 2008, 02:55 PM
jaytex1969,

A thread in Activism should have a specific course of action presented or proposed. Activism is for specific "I'm motivated to do this and here's how I'm going to do it and here is the contact info for the people I want to affect."

General is the place to post the unfocused "I'm concerned/annoyed/pissed, but what should I do?" threads.

jaytex1969
May 14, 2008, 04:21 AM
Thanks for clarifying. Just want to make sure I understand the expectations, as I had pretty much written off the "blowing up houses" remark as sarcasm pertaining to the media portrayal of exaggerated ammo capability and I was genuinely looking forward to the group discussion on the "countering fear mongering activism" part of the post. Maybe the more useful portion of the topic can be dissected out and revisited.

hso
May 14, 2008, 08:14 AM
Activism is a very serious subforum with a very narrow focus on getting things done. As such it has a very low threshhold for removing threads that don't clearly provide a useful tool that the members can use to effect change in support of RKBA.

We delete instead of close threads as the SOP in Activism because we don't want that "tool bin" cluttered with threads that aren't going to help the members go and do something right away in support of RKBA.

If you enjoyed reading about "Activism question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!