Norinco Model 99 Coach Gun

PDA

The Janitor
May 13, 2008, 07:27 PM
I just purchased one of these. Used, $140, with a crack in the stock. I had a need for a reliable, simple, cheap, semi-compact shotgun. This seemed to fit the bill. Upon fixing the stock and cleaning it, I fired it a bit. Right away, some things I noticed:

The rear trigger is way too light, sometimes discharging when the first barrel is fired.
This gun needs a good recoil pad
The safety switch is a bit flaky
This gun would benefit from a fiber-optic sight
The craftsmanship is sub-par

As far as long-term reliability, I couldn't say as I haven't owned it long enough. :scrutiny: I've put a box of birdshot through it. The craftsmanship on the wood work is rather sloppy, and the machining isn't high-precision.

It isn't a particularly comfortable gun to shoot. The triggers are rough and the hard recoil pad is almost torturous after a half a box. In one instance, the firing pin didn't set off the primer. It hit the primer, just not very hard. I don't know the cause of this, so if anyone has insight on this, I would appreciate it.

I wouldn't expect much more than a $140 Chinese gun. Given I get the firing pin issue fixed, it will probably stay next to the nightstand or behind the seat for the occasional usage. I've read that some people use these guns for cowboy action shooting, so they must hold up decently after you work out the initial bugs. It is a nice gun to keep in your vehicle or house if you live in a place where you wouldn't want to keep a higher-quality gun out in the open.

If you enjoyed reading about "Norinco Model 99 Coach Gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
VirgilCaine
May 14, 2008, 01:26 AM
The rear trigger is way too light, sometimes discharging when the first barrel is fired.

So you need to fire the rear trigger's barrel first or both barrels will discharge?

The Janitor
May 14, 2008, 04:00 AM
So you need to fire the rear trigger's barrel first or both barrels will discharge?

Or cock the left hammer(rearward trigger) after I've already fired the front. Either way, it irks me. I know it wasn't designed that way. The trigger is a very light pull. It has a slight travel in it without any spring resistance, and once you get to a certain point, it takes about 1-3 lbs of force and very little additional trigger travel to set it off.

VirgilCaine
May 14, 2008, 06:42 AM
Wow, just cock the hammer and that pulls the trigger?

Sounds like a defective model. I'd see a smith about it. Maybe the previous owner screwed something up?

Knotthead
May 14, 2008, 11:40 AM

Sounds like you have an unregistered fully automatic weapon. Expect a visit from the BATFE soon.

MAX100
May 14, 2008, 12:08 PM
Sounds like someone has tinkered with it that didn't know what they were doing. The Norinco model 99 hammer coach shotguns are not of the best quality. If you really want a nice hammer coach get one of the TTN, Cimarron or the EMF Co all are the same gun. They are made in China and are high quality.

GC

The Janitor
May 16, 2008, 06:31 PM
Sounds like you have an unregistered fully automatic weapon. Expect a visit from the BATFE soon.

More like an unregistered chiropractic tool. :barf:

Max is right I think. It looks like someone without much filing skill tried to file down the trigger a little bit, and did a sloppy job.

Moonclip
May 17, 2008, 03:50 AM
I liked my 12ga version, unfortunately I cracked the buttstock after firing both barrels at same time many times! I ordered replacement but it's beyond my skills to fit it and I think I lost a couple of small parts:(

Brett Dixon
May 21, 2008, 09:42 AM
I just recieved a ttn and it is very nice, not a lot of stampings all over the frame or receiver and decent finish. Hammer and trigger pull are great and action breaks very well. I think I can get used to this little shotgun.

Brett

rocinante
May 22, 2008, 02:52 PM
I just got a JW-2000 for 200 NIB. So far no problem but I haven't shot it much. I like it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Norinco Model 99 Coach Gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!