Shoot or Handload?

PDA

lgbloader
May 14, 2008, 12:12 AM
I you could only do one...what would it be?

SHOOT

If you enjoyed reading about "Shoot or Handload?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MetalMan52
May 14, 2008, 01:16 AM
If you can't shoot what's the point of handloading?
Pat

lgbloader
May 14, 2008, 02:07 AM
Hey Metalman,

I have read in a few threads that people like reloading as much as shooting and I couldn't understand that statement so I wanted to see if people are really out there that feel that way.

You obviously feel the same way I do but I still would like to hear from the masses. Maybe see another man's insight. Learn something.

By the way, so we don't misunderstand eachother.. your answer was???

socaldan
May 14, 2008, 02:48 AM
I agree with MetalMan52..also...
If you can't handload it takes most of the fun out of SHOOTING!!
Shooting nothing but FACTORY ammunition is like eating the same cerial every morning for breakfast.

Grandpa Shooter
May 14, 2008, 03:57 AM
I am one of the people who has stated that reloading is sometimes more fun than shooting. When I was younger I greatly enjoyed shooting and was far better than average at it. As I have aged and suffer with arthritis among other things, I find that building loads, trying them out, innovating in the process of reloading has become much more enjoyable than beating my hands up like I used to.

Would I shoot if I had to pay for factory ammo? Not very likely on a fixed income.

luis7
May 14, 2008, 03:59 AM
HI.
First reload your anmunition and then shoot it :), When you see that your bullet go to where you want you feel very very well (like to make love :D)
REload anmunition itīs good hobby than shoot it.
Greetings.

Afy
May 14, 2008, 05:15 AM
Shoot... reloading in engaging though.
If shooting is sex, then reloading is akin to a date with rosy plam and her five sisters...

jhansman
May 14, 2008, 05:19 AM
Actually, this is a good question. Since I have begun making my own ammo, the only factory ammo I've bought is .22LR, and using my handloads has brought shooting to a new level for me. So, would I shoot if I only had factory? Probably, but not nearly as much.

ricciardelli
May 14, 2008, 06:39 AM
I like shooting...

Reloading lets me shoot more and better.

I would probably use factory ammo if it was given to me, and was of good quality.

CBS220
May 14, 2008, 08:03 AM
I enjoy both a lot.

If you just shoot, and don't reload, then you're missing out on the best possible ammunition, as well as the experimentation process that will make you a better shooter.

One is important to the other.

But serious shooters reload. And if someone is reloading just to make cheap blasting ammo, then they are missing the finer points of reloading.

qajaq59
May 14, 2008, 08:09 AM
There are times when the loading is more fun as the shooting. Especially if you finally get a load that just absolutely works in a new rifle. However I can't work up loads unless I can shoot them.

mallc
May 14, 2008, 08:52 AM
Shooting and reloading are like steak and potatoes. They go together.

My last three new rifles have never tasted store bought loads. I'm please to say they've only eaten pure, organic, home grown ammo; .223, 30-06, and 7.62x54R and none has ever had a hiccup.

Scott

FLORIDA KEVIN
May 14, 2008, 09:01 AM
For me reloading is a part of shooting ! I enjoy all of it ! I started reloading so I could afford to shoot more . It has taken a lot of time and practice to both make consistant ammunition and shoot consisant groups with it !

tbtrout
May 14, 2008, 09:07 AM
For me reloading is very relaxing. I would rather shoot more then reload though.

ATAShooter
May 14, 2008, 09:28 AM
I love to load. I'd do it for a living if it wasn't for all the legaleze that goes with it. :D

Doug b
May 14, 2008, 09:57 AM
Lgbloader gotta agree with Scott,they go together.The only thing you know about the factory crap is which general direction it's going when you drop the hammer.

Sport45
May 14, 2008, 11:56 AM
I generally reload when it's dark or raining. I wouldn't be shooting then anyway.

dagger dog
May 14, 2008, 06:27 PM
What no fries with that burger?

Could you watch Lou Costello do the Who's on First routine with out Bud Abbot?

You should have you NRA memberhip revoked for pondering such a thought!

They can't be seperated, they are like the conjoined twins sharing the same heart, one could not live with out the other if seperated:D

socaldan
May 15, 2008, 01:30 AM
"I DO NOT WEAR GLASSES TO SEE...
I WEAR GLASSES TO SEE [MORE].
chun- (movie) REMO WILLIAMS.

I don't reload to shoot...(well you get it)!!!

lgbloader
May 15, 2008, 01:37 AM
Wow, Thanks for the response and I agree with the majority. handloading and shooting is like the perfect circle of life and you can't (or shouldn't) have one without the other. Thank you all for your time and responses, sincere responses, I might add...

Drinks all around....

Griz44
May 15, 2008, 02:03 AM
As I get older, I have enjoyed reloading a lot more. I spend a lot of time at the bench instead of staring at the worthless propaganda junkbox (called a TV). I find myself borrowing guns from friends to have a new gun to work up that ideal load for. I enjoy both immensely. Reloading gives me a reason to shoot, and shooting gives me a reason to reload. I don't shoot as much as I used to, and I spend a lot more time working on the "perfect load" which is of course, the perfect one until that next idea/combination/recipe surfaces. Then of course, the cycle starts all over again! It's all good, and nourishing to the soul.

HANDLOADER
June 8, 2008, 06:46 PM
Got to say if it ever came down to shooting or handloading I would have to go with handloading. I shoot alot and enjoy shooting don't get me wrong but with gas as high as it is I don't shoot as often as I when i shoot it's a war zone covered with brass.so it's the bench for me hands down.

plinky
June 8, 2008, 07:36 PM
If I had to make such a choice, of course I would shoot. But my shooting would suffer as I have never owned a gun that didn't shoot better with the right handload. Now I have read reviews where gun X shot very well with premium ammo Y, but they only found that ammo by shooting a whole bunch of expensive rounds. That in itself would take some of the fun of shooting away. And who can say that the next lot of premium ammo Y will be the same?

Handloading gives you FAR more control over what you're feeding your gun.

rcmodel
June 8, 2008, 07:40 PM
When it's -10 below, or 110+ outside, or blowing rain or snow, I much prefer reloading in the A/C & heated basement.

rcmodel

TexasSkyhawk
June 8, 2008, 08:07 PM
As I have aged and suffer with arthritis among other things, I find that building loads, trying them out, innovating in the process of reloading has become much more enjoyable than beating my hands up like I used to.

Agree.

But I still enjoy shooting the fruits of my labor--but I enjoy creating those fruits even more.

Jeff

DEDON45
June 8, 2008, 08:29 PM
Reloading is relaxing (at least to me) but the greatest part of reloading is blasting away at the range, with better accuracy, and for less $$ than the other folks there.... Hey, gotta have something to be proud of!

Chris Rhines
June 8, 2008, 09:32 PM
If I could build a conveyor belt from the Black Hills factory, to my garage, I'd never reload another round. :D

- Chris

The Bushmaster
June 9, 2008, 12:28 AM
Shoot or reload? What kinda question is that?? Reload of course...Why do you think I go to the range in the first place? To shoot? Hell no!! To empty some brass so I can go home and reload...:D

lgbloader
June 9, 2008, 12:37 AM
You know, Bushmaster... I kinda figured that with you!!! LOL

Cheers buddie.

Matt Dillon
June 9, 2008, 12:42 AM
For me, reloading is as fun as shooting! Except for today's component prices!

socaldan
June 9, 2008, 01:28 AM
QUOTE: AFY:
If shooting is sex, then reloading is akin to a date with rosy plam and her five sisters...
Incorrect!
Reloading would be like FOREPLAY!
Besides, Rosy knows what I like!

Dan

lgbloader
June 9, 2008, 02:11 AM
Oh dear,

What did I start.... LOL

shu
June 9, 2008, 04:18 AM
Leaving aside the cost (which is for most folks neutral - we formally or informally budget a certain amount of money for our activities) the point is, that reloading brings a new dimension, understanding, and control to shooting.

Presumedly few or none of us shoot just to make noise and experience recoil. Striking an object downrange with the projectile, repeatedly or predictably, is a major objective of the exercise.

Before I started reloading, I just went and bought some cartridges - usually at or near the least expensive of whatever the store was stocking. Not much point in trying to correlate accuracy to a particular brand or type of ammunition. Might or might not find the same on the next trip to the store.

With reloading comes a whole box of decisions: bullet weight, profile, and metalic composition; powder burn rate, charge weight, etc; bullet seating depth and crimp. What is appropriate for the intended target, barrel twist rate, etc? What works, what does not, and why?

Then, too, I have the means to build off-the-wall stuff like a pawn shop load (three round balls in a 38spl case) should the fancy strike.

-shu

evan price
June 9, 2008, 04:36 AM
I can't shoot without reloading. I can't reload if I am never going to shoot.

Still, as I sit in front of my press and watch the gelaming, freshly formed ammo tumble into the finished round box, and then gather them up and insert them in ammox boxes, I find myself sighing, with a smile on my face... and when it's time to shoot, it's like, no-no, these are my kids...
Then the feeling passes.

Matt Dillon
June 9, 2008, 08:52 AM
Don't forget the added fun of scrounging for your favorite brass!

Uncle Chan
June 9, 2008, 09:02 AM
I enjoy both, but I prefer to reload.

Shoney
June 9, 2008, 11:43 AM
The question is like asking, "Do you like to eat, or sit on the throne and eliminate it? You can only pick one."

If you enjoyed reading about "Shoot or Handload?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!