Browning Hi power serial number HELP

PDA

Curiousity
May 14, 2008, 05:59 PM
245NW82340

When was this hi power made?

please help thank you...i don't understand how to decipher it...thank you

http://www.browning.com/services/dategun/detail.asp?id=35

If you enjoyed reading about "Browning Hi power serial number HELP" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
belus
May 14, 2008, 06:12 PM

1976-1997
In 1975 Browning standardized its serial number identification which it followed until 1998.
1. Hi-Power Type: 245=9mm
2. Date of Manufacture is a two digit code
Z=1
Y=2
X=3
W=4
V=5
T=6
R=7
P=8
N=9
M=0
3. Serial Number beginning with 01001 at the start of each year.

245 NW 823xx
245 94 823xx

It's a Mark 3 with a cast frame. You should see grooves in the frame on the bottom of the magazine well.

BHPshooter
May 14, 2008, 07:02 PM
Yep, 1994.

My first gun was a '94 manufacture BHP. I love that gun.

Wes

bannockburn
May 14, 2008, 07:52 PM
I went out and bought my Hi-Power after reading an article about it in the September '85 issue of Combat Handguns. Finally I thought, FN had done something about the tiny sights, the hard to use safety, and the overly heavy trigger pull. Well they did, and I've been enjoying it ever since.
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc231/buckeroobanzai/DSC02362.jpgvvv[/IMG]

Badmaster
January 7, 2010, 01:00 AM
I am kind of new to this, I am a old retired Marine First Sergeant. Can anyone assist me in finding more about this weapon? It is a Browning HP and the serial number is L 39575 The weapon has matching serial numbers. I am interested in when it was made and where? Every time I look this up, I get confused. There are no serial numbers starting with L and it is driving me nuts. I am sure it is operator error on my part! My email address is billbadmaster@yaoo.com Any help would ge thankful.

Armed 24/7
January 7, 2010, 01:24 AM
Wow, my 9mm Practical is a '91. Older than I thought, and Belus, thanks for posting this...

dogtown tom
January 7, 2010, 02:24 AM
Badmaster I am kind of new to this, I am a old retired Marine First Sergeant. Can anyone assist me in finding more about this weapon? It is a Browning HP and the serial number is L 39575 The weapon has matching serial numbers. I am interested in when it was made and where? Every time I look this up, I get confused. There are no serial numbers starting with L and it is driving me nuts. I am sure it is operator error on my part! My email address is billbadmaster@yaoo.com Any help would ge thankful.

I think you may have an FEG Hi Power, that's why you can't find anything with the "L" serial number prefix. FEG was believed to have made unlicensed copies of the FN/Browning Hi Power that even included the rollmarks that genuine FN/Browning Hi Powers had.

The good news is FEG made some pretty good copies.

berettaprofessor
January 7, 2010, 12:13 PM
What dogtown tom said about your gun being an FEG...see the quoted link below for more info, or search the hipowertalk.com forum.

http://hipowertalk.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2152&SearchTerms=serial,number

also:

http://hipowertalk.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1675&SearchTerms=serial,number

AC45ACP
April 4, 2010, 02:54 PM
so if I have a Ser# 75C357XX than that would mean it was made in 1975 right?

dogtown tom
April 4, 2010, 04:41 PM
correct

Jim_D
January 17, 2011, 06:10 PM
Sorry to bump an old thread.

I just bought a hi-power.

S/N is T301xxx

I looked at Brownings page and can't really match it up...maybe I'm just doing it wrong. It does say Belgium made on it.

Any input?

Thanks,

Jim.

rellascout
January 17, 2011, 06:32 PM
T Series 64 to '69: T136568 to circa T261000

I would put it late in 69 early 70.

Mazudht
April 28, 2011, 09:57 PM
I seem to have a similar problem I have a BHP with a s/n T277xxx I inherited the firearm and don't know what it was originally chambered in. Presently it is .41 ae. The "T" series ended at T261000 according to Browning.

Any clarification would be appreciated.

chez323
April 28, 2011, 10:52 PM
Looks like my hi-power was made in 1990, nice post. Thanks!

Twiki357
April 29, 2011, 04:13 AM
The original was probably in 9mm. My BHP serial no. is T171xxx. I bought it new in 1965.... Damn, I'm gettin' old.

rellascout
April 29, 2011, 10:33 AM
I seem to have a similar problem I have a BHP with a s/n T277xxx I inherited the firearm and don't know what it was originally chambered in. Presently it is .41 ae. The "T" series ended at T261000 according to Browning.

Any clarification would be appreciated.

9mm

topshot46
August 31, 2011, 02:39 PM
I just got a FN Belgiun Hi-Power 9MM Pistol , has on left side of slide FN Belgium , on left frame PW Arms Redmond Wa Hi-Power 9 x 19 MM , on right side of barrel and frame S/N 81xx . The finish is parkerized , wooden grips , rounded hammer , fixed sites. Can anyone tell me what date it was made and anything else about the gun. thanks

KodiakBeer
August 31, 2011, 04:49 PM
That sounds like one of the Israeli surplus pistols that came in under PW Arms. They're a mixed bag from all eras. If it has an external extractor, it's post-1962, an internal extractor would indicate it was made before that date. No FN pistols were parkerized, so that would be something done in an Israeli armory to a worn pistol.

The serial numbers aren't much help because most FN pistols of that era are military contract and they didn't follow the date code rules of the Browning stamped commercial pistols.

Those early Israeli pistols came from all over the place. Some are commercial pistols, some captured from Syria, some purchased used in small batches from other countries military stocks, etc.

To get the whole story you'd have to produce pictures of all the various proof and acceptance stamps.

dogtown tom
August 31, 2011, 09:56 PM
KodiakBeer: ....No FN pistols were parkerized, so that would be something done in an Israeli armory to a worn pistol....

Nope.

FN regularly used parkerization on many contract runs as well as commercial models. Pretty much every MkII Hi Power was factory parkerized.

I own two MkII Hi Powers, one FN with a greenish gray park, the other a FN/Browning with a gray black park.

KodiakBeer
August 31, 2011, 10:29 PM
I stand corrected. Neither of my Mark II's are parkerized.

dogtown tom
August 31, 2011, 11:45 PM
KodiakBeer I stand corrected. Neither of my Mark II's are parkerized.
Really? Polished blue MkII's are pretty darn rare.

Could you post pics?

wrs840
September 1, 2011, 12:00 AM
Thanks for digging this thread up. Now I know for the first time that the Belgium made BHP that I bought new in May 1988 was actually manufactured in 1986.

KodiakBeer
September 1, 2011, 03:18 AM
Both of my Mark II's had the enamel finish. Both are police contract.

1986 Austrian Alloy frame: http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac164/kodiakbeer/alloy.jpg

1990 Israeli Police: http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac164/kodiakbeer/Izzy2.jpg

topshot46
September 1, 2011, 10:24 AM
Thanks for all the info. My gun has a internal extractor , the back strap has a slot for a stock . I actually bought three pistols from this elderly gentalman , the FN s/n 81xx , another BHP , gloss black , external extractor , left side Browning Arms Co. Morgan Utah , & Montreal P.Q. RW ARMS Redmond Wa , right side Made in Belgium assembled in Portugal , s/n 245NX682xx , the third is a CZ-83 Browning 32ACP . Shot all three last week , i was very impressed with the way they shot . thanks

dogtown tom
September 1, 2011, 11:11 AM
KodiakBeer Both of my Mark II's had the enamel finish. Both are police contract....

Who told you they were MkII's? The top picture shows a "half moon" sight that is typically soldered in place. Can't tell on the bottom pic.

MkII's have these features:
-"drain hole" at muzzle end of slide
-straight feed ramp
-"rib" running on top of the slide between front and rear sights
-front sight integral with slide rib
-typically the rear sight will have a flat rear surface.

(info from "The Browning Hi Power Automatic Pistol" by R. Blake Stevens and from the late Stephen Camps website http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/What%20are%20the%20differences%20between%20the%20Mk%20II%20and%20Mk%20III.htm )

here's a pic of my gray/green MkII:

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk274/dogtowntomstuff/pix1425530000.jpg

centurion94
September 1, 2011, 12:17 PM
Good morning, this discussion made me a little curious about an older HP, but even going to the Browning site didn't help much. The serial number on this one is 69C5XXX and the left side is marked "Made in Belgium" below "Browning Arms Company St. Louis and Quebec". Supposedly it was made prior to 1954, but what does the "C" mean?

Don

KodiakBeer
September 1, 2011, 01:14 PM
Who told you they were MkII's? The top picture shows a "half moon" sight that is typically soldered in place. Can't tell on the bottom pic.

The top picture is an alloy framed Austrian police pistol, made in 1986. A Mark II.

The bottom picture is an Israeli contract sometimes called the Mark II 1/2, because some of the features they demanded were later incorporated into the the Mark III - the sights in particular. The late contract Israeli's can be ID'd by the rib under the frame running forward from the trigger guard. The only HP's with that odd feature. They were made from about 1985 to 1992, mine was made in 1990.

The various FN police contract guns are a world unto themselves. The agencies dictated whatever they wanted in sights, finish and even (with this Austrian) the aluminum frame. They are still Mark II's.

KodiakBeer
September 1, 2011, 01:47 PM
The serial number on this one is 69C5XXX and the left side is marked "Made in Belgium" below "Browning Arms Company St. Louis and Quebec".

It's a C series made in 1969.

rellascout
September 1, 2011, 02:16 PM
It's a C series made in 1969.

Beat me to it... LOL

centurion94
September 1, 2011, 03:01 PM
Thanks, Guys! I gotta ask... C series?

Ala Dan
September 1, 2011, 03:54 PM
In conjunction with the OP's thread on BHP's, which came first?

a) the ring type hammer

or

b) the spur type hammer?

I have a '95 production BHP with the adjustable sights, and wood grips
that looks UNFIRED. It says made in Belgium, assembled in Portugal.
S/N is 245NVxxxxx. Many thanks for your help and response.

rellascout
September 1, 2011, 03:54 PM
http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/Hi%20Power%20Dates%20of%20Manufacture.htm

Earlier codes; 1954 to 1964 = 70000 to circa 115823, '64 to '69: T136568 to circa T261000, followed be the introduction of the 2-digit year code and "C". For example, a Hi Power made in 1973 would have a serial number starting "73C…" and so forth.

A 69C is an early C series gun. The guns prior to this were know as T series guns and are considered by many to the best of the best. I have a 72C and it is a great gun.

rellascout
September 1, 2011, 04:15 PM
IIRC the ring hammer came first. Spur hammers started with the C series guns.

Here is my pre-T series.

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t213/rellascout/pre-t.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t213/rellascout/pret-2.jpg

KodiakBeer
September 1, 2011, 04:21 PM
FN made changes throughout production. The "T" series is considered the high point of workmanship and command a premium - that would be early to late 60's. The craftsmanship, the finish, the fitting was at its highest point.

The "C" series is probably the second level as far as craftsmanship and design is concerned. Many people will argue that the C series is just as good as the T series, but the "T" just has a cache' that the market puts a premium on.

The earlier guns (prior to 62) have the internal extractor and poor sights, but are still very collectible. The internal extractor is slightly problematic - they break. They are more valued as collectibles than as shooters.

The later guns, after the "C" (the Mark II) don't have quite the finish and workmanship of the T and C series guns - production became more automated and less dependent on hand finishing.

All Hi Powers, even the latest ones, are superb firearms, but the T and to a slightly lesser extent, the C, were the high water mark of Hi Powers.

If your C is in good condition then it's one of the best firearms ever manufactured. Shoot it. Enjoy it.

KodiakBeer
September 1, 2011, 04:25 PM
I have a '95 production BHP with the adjustable sights, and wood grips
that looks UNFIRED. It says made in Belgium, assembled in Portugal.
S/N is 245NVxxxxx. Many thanks for your help and response.

It's indeed a 95. Shoot it. Enjoy it. Then shoot it some more.

centurion94
September 1, 2011, 05:06 PM
Nice to have facts. Thanks!

don

SFsc616171
September 1, 2011, 06:23 PM
Hi Sarge!

Your 'L' serial number is before the time of keeping records of serial numbers in 1954. If there are any distinguishing stamp markings on it, you might have 'an occupation model'. From what I have read, from the late Hi Power guru, Stephen Camp
(http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com)
you might do well to keep that as a handle-but-not-fire-model. Occupation models have been tinkered, by the factory (ahem) 'hired help ala Schindler', and might not be a good day for you if you charged and shot that particular piece.

Ala Dan
September 4, 2011, 06:37 PM
Many thanks guy's for your knowledge, and quick responses~! ;) :D

Timbirch9
November 19, 2011, 05:32 PM
Just picked up a HP with the serial number E 082xx. All numbers match and it has an internal extractor. Does anyone have any info on this series of HP's. Thanks

genstab
December 3, 2011, 09:42 PM
You guys think you have problems- I have a FN Hi-Power with serial # 42095. I think it's from the 1950s but can't find anything out about it as I'm told that large contracts in that era repeated serial numbers- what a way to run a railroad. It has to be from Europe as the US imported Brownings started with serial numbers in the high 50,000 range. It's definitely pre-1962 as it has the thumbprint on the right side of the slide and has the ring hammer of course. There are no extra markings to indicate German police use or anything like that and no stock slots in the back of the grip so it wasn't prewar. Even FN/Browning expert Anthony Vanderlinden couldn't hazard a guess without seeing it for hidden internal markings. Does anyone have a FN/Browning with a close serial number?

Best regards,
Bill in Cleveland

johnnydollar
December 4, 2011, 06:41 PM
You guys think you have problems- I have a FN Hi-Power with serial # 42095. I think it's from the 1950s but can't find anything out about it as I'm told that large contracts in that era repeated serial numbers- what a way to run a railroad. It has to be from Europe as the US imported Brownings started with serial numbers in the high 50,000 range. It's definitely pre-1962 as it has the thumbprint on the right side of the slide and has the ring hammer of course. There are no extra markings to indicate German police use or anything like that and no stock slots in the back of the grip so it wasn't prewar. Even FN/Browning expert Anthony Vanderlinden couldn't hazard a guess without seeing it for hidden internal markings. Does anyone have a FN/Browning with a close serial number?

Best regards,
Bill in Cleveland

Bill, post your question--with some good pics (required, really, for a difficult ID like this one) over on the "Hi Power Talk" web site. A guy whose user name is "gp35fn" can usually nail it down for you, even on the more obscure models of the BHP. Best,
JD

GlockArmorer
February 15, 2012, 02:24 AM
Hope someone can help with this. I have a Browning 9mm with serial #76C21xxx. According to Browning's site, they stopped using "C" to designate Hi-Power in 1976 and went to "245", and also changed the date of manufacture code. I would have guessed that I had a Browning Hi-Power manufactured in 1976. Also on the slide it says "Browning Arms Company Morgan, Utah & Montreal P.Q." Under that it says "Made In Belgium."
Can anyone give me some information on what I have? I also read that the "C" firearms were second in quality only to the "T" firearms. Any truth to that?
Thanks for the help!

rellascout
February 15, 2012, 09:40 AM
You have a 1976 Hi Power. It is a C series gun.

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/Hi%20Power%20Dates%20of%20Manufacture.htm

outlawWade
February 21, 2012, 06:23 PM
Gosh there are a lot of different versions. I am also looking for some one with knowledge of the FN Browning HP 9 mm It has Fabrique Nationale D'Armes De Guerre Herstal BelGique Brownings Pattend Depose W8a 140 very small and Nazi Eagles . The front of the triger guard has _ R 195154 with an A on the mag. I need to buy some grips for the gun and the screws to hold them on . Any help would be great.
Thank You Wade

KodiakBeer
February 21, 2012, 06:55 PM
It has Fabrique Nationale D'Armes De Guerre Herstal BelGique Brownings Pattend Depose W8a 140 very small and Nazi Eagles .

It's (of course) a Hi Power made under German occupation. The grips would be the same traditional wood as any other Hi Power, though late in the war they did make some bakelite grips. Ebay is actually a pretty good place to find vintage Hi Power grips and parts.

There are actually subdivisions of the German occupation Hi Powers. Early in the war, they are fairly nice and then the finish drops off and real late in the war they dropped the magazine disconnect and the finish becomes very rough. There are rumors that some Hi Powers were sabotaged by FN employees, but I've never heard of anyone actually coming across one. I suspect that story is a myth started after the war when FN employees were trying to justify working for the Germans.

jshrop6004
February 21, 2012, 07:27 PM
I acquired a T series Hi Power right before Christmas. The serial # is T1758XX. I am guessing mid 60's?

KodiakBeer
February 21, 2012, 07:38 PM
the serial # is t1758xx. I am guessing mid 60's?

jshrop6004
February 21, 2012, 07:41 PM
Thanks for the quick response KodiakBeer!:)

rellascout
February 21, 2012, 08:15 PM
Gosh there are a lot of different versions. I am also looking for some one with knowledge of the FN Browning HP 9 mm It has Fabrique Nationale D'Armes De Guerre Herstal BelGique Brownings Pattend Depose W8a 140 very small and Nazi Eagles . The front of the triger guard has _ R 195154 with an A on the mag. I need to buy some grips for the gun and the screws to hold them on . Any help would be great.
Thank You Wade

I think I have an extra pair of vintage BHP grips I would be willing to part with. PM sent.

If you enjoyed reading about "Browning Hi power serial number HELP" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!