indestructible bullet puller?

PDA

mr_dove
May 16, 2008, 05:25 PM
About every 100 rounds or so I inevitably swing my bullet puller the wrong way and strike the cap on the brick that I use as a solid surface destroying the cap and ruining my bullet puller. I've gone through 3 of them so far and its getting frustrating.

Does any company make a bullet puller that doesn't explode when you strike the cap on a brick? All it really needs is a sturdy cap that can withstand some blows.

If you enjoyed reading about "indestructible bullet puller?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jlficken
May 16, 2008, 05:33 PM
I would just spend the money on the collet type bullet puller for your single stage press. I know it isn't the answer you were probably looking for but that is what I am going to do. The RCBS, Hornady, and Wilson all seem to be good choices from what I have seen/read.

Griz44
May 16, 2008, 06:03 PM
I ran across a Hornady collet puller on sale at cabelas. I bought a second turrent plate from Lee seconds stock for a quick change puller setup and use it to pull with. Wonderful tool.

rcmodel
May 16, 2008, 06:28 PM
Perhaps a better question would be:
Why are you pulling so many bullets?

If you are pulling down old mil-sup for the components, a collet puller is well worth the money, and the only way to fly.

But if you are making that much bad ammo?
Well to put it bluntly:
You need to review what you are doing wrong and stop doing it.

rcmodel

Funderb
May 16, 2008, 06:30 PM
answer: gigantic yellow arrow attached in the direction of swing.

highlander 5
May 16, 2008, 06:38 PM
The brick may be the problem,try using a piece of 4x4 or 6x6 post you may have better luck. I've had a Midway kinetic puller for 20 plus years and have had to replace the rubber o ring in the collets.

Encoreman
May 16, 2008, 06:48 PM
+1 Highlander, the hammer will last indefinetly if struck on the end grain of a piece of firewood or 4x4. I pick-up and pull lots of rounds that I don't have any idea who loaded them. Pull my mistakes also have a frankford arsenal from Midway probably pulled close to 500 no problems. Mac

Funderb
May 16, 2008, 06:55 PM
he's saying that he hits on the cap and not on the proper end. Only a pillow will save the cap.

rcmodel
May 16, 2008, 07:04 PM
Might cut a piece of auto heater hose the right size and put it on over the cap.

Cut it long enough it won't let the cap impact the brick, even if you do swing it the wrong way.

It also might give you a visual CLUE which end to beat on.

rcmodel

MMCSRET
May 16, 2008, 10:43 PM
25 yrs ago I filled a tuna can with molten lead. Let it cool, peeled the can away and use it for my impact puller to strike against, work like a deadblow mallet.

ranger335v
May 16, 2008, 10:47 PM
"25 yrs ago I filled a tuna can with molten lead. Let it cool, peeled the can away and use it for my impact puller to strike against, work like a deadblow mallet."

That will work fine. But it won't save an impact puller pounded with the wrong end down. After breaking three already, I don't think I can find a solution to this one.

lordgroom
May 16, 2008, 11:17 PM
Just tonight I broke my dillon kinetic puller. I called them and they will replace for free minus my shipping to return the broken one to them. As for me, I have a number to pull for 2 different reasons, perhaps someone might know what is going wrong. Some of my recently loaded .223's have bullets seated dramatically farther into the case. I am assuming the bullet was misaligned when I placed it into the case and it stretched the case mouth. Is this possible?

I also have some pulls because I was trying to be very careful and I had 2 rounds which weighed 1 grain more after loaded and all comeponents were the same. My apprehension is due to this being greater than max loads listed in numerous manuals. For the .223 many of my manuals list 26 grains of IMR-4895 as the max, but Ken Waters in Pet Loads lists 26.5. I loaded 3 at 26.3 and another 3 at 26.5.

scrat
May 16, 2008, 11:26 PM
+3 what highlander said.

Sheldon
May 16, 2008, 11:26 PM
The cap just isn't made to be hit with the force the other end of the hammer is. How the heck are you holding the puller that the cap is getting hit??? No offense, but it sounds like a coordination issue. Or am I alone in never having had an issue with this??

Mt Shooter
May 16, 2008, 11:55 PM
I have had a RCBS one for over Thirty years without an issue. Had to change the O ring once or twice and that is all. Perhaps large lettering on the side....... This End UP

eliphalet
May 17, 2008, 02:00 AM
Qinetics (SP) bullet puller is what i use. I strike it against a short piece of rail road rail, it hasn't broke in the 20 some years I have had it. Brownell's has em.

The Bushmaster
May 17, 2008, 11:06 AM
Stop watching TV and pay attention to what you are doing and I bet the problem will go away. If it's a memory problem...Stop reloading before you really do something wrong...

eliphalet...I have the same one and have had it for 20 years too. Only wear I see on it is that the handle is not straight anymore...

Jim Watson
May 17, 2008, 11:10 AM
I lean over and whack mine on the concrete floor of the shop. I have had it for maybe 15 years, it hasn't broken from that - thankfully occasional - intended use and I haven't hit the wrong end yet.

All it needs is a little attention to keep the cap side up.

LotI
May 17, 2008, 11:21 AM
^^^What Jim said.

Hit the hammer on a smooth surface. The ragged surface of a brick is causing localized stress on the plastic. I use mine on concrete.

.223 bullets are too light to be pulled with a hammer. Get a collet puller... Here (http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=680804&t=11082005), and here (http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=128601).

AndyC
May 17, 2008, 11:33 AM
Don't hit the wrong end on the brick - is it too much trouble to look at what you're doing? Geez... :rolleyes:

BigJakeJ1s
May 17, 2008, 04:59 PM
Hornady collet puller. Just don't put it in the press upside down...

Andy

MinnMooney
May 17, 2008, 05:07 PM
Like many others on this thread, I apologize for not sticking to your question but posts No. 2 & 3 have the best answer by far. I switched to a hornady bullet puller that screws into my single stage press (I actually use a bushing for the Hornady L-N-L series so it pops in and out in about 1 second each.) and I've never looked back. It beats my kenetic bullet puller all to heck.

Bullet
May 18, 2008, 02:22 AM
Iíll have to agree with hit it on the correct end/pay attention.
You guys that use a collet puller - does it mark the bullets?

RustyFN
May 18, 2008, 01:55 PM
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b8db39b3127ccea8d39a6c0d4a00000015100DZOGblm4Yo

lordgroom
May 18, 2008, 02:36 PM
That's funny

tasco 74
May 18, 2008, 04:00 PM
:d:d:d:d:d^^^^

Odd Job
May 18, 2008, 04:31 PM
Just weld an L-shaped piece of metal to the handle, in the position I have indicated here in yellow:

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g154/Odd_Job/IMG_3615.jpg

You will not be able to hold the handle the wrong way after that.

ForneyRider
May 18, 2008, 04:44 PM
My cheapie 14$ Frankford Arsenal has held up well.

I use a 2x4 scrap long enough to were I don't have to bend over much. Works great.

The Bushmaster
May 18, 2008, 05:40 PM
ForneyRider...Trade that 2 X 4 in for a 4 x 4--12 inches long or more. works better and is a bigger target...

BigJakeJ1s
May 18, 2008, 10:05 PM
Maybe ForneyRider makes accurate enough ammo that even his rejects don't need a bigger target? ;^)

Andy

SR_
May 21, 2008, 04:44 PM
Consider replacing your brick with a bench block

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=24254&title=EXTRA-LARGE%20BENCH%20BLOCKS

rcmodel
May 21, 2008, 04:50 PM
A plastic bench block is not near heavy enough!

A section of 4" x 4" deck post, or a chunk of railroad rail, or the flat surface on a bench vice, or a cheap Chinese anvil from Harbor Freight all work very well.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=3999

Whatever you use, it needs to weigh several pounds so inertia keeps it from moving when you hit it.

If it moves, the bullet won't!

rcmodel

JNewell
May 21, 2008, 09:38 PM
RCBS. I've whacked it on concrete hundreds of times with no issues.

And, I KNOW that if it ever croaks, RCBS will replace it for free, no questions asked. But I'm pretty sure that won't be necessary...

lgbloader
May 21, 2008, 10:15 PM
Mr Dove,

I can see you are sincere about the question you asked and only a few actually answered your question, even fewer politely, Bravo Gentlemen!!!

You also got some verbal attitude and that is a shame. Don't worry, though, Mate. People recognise the patterns of these people and it reflects on them constantly.

Hornady makes a cool collet style puller but RCBS kenetic is only 15 bucks so hopefully, you can budget 30 bucks a year to feed your bullet puller smashing habbit.

Cheers...

K3
May 22, 2008, 10:29 AM
Mr Dove,

I can see you are sincere about the question you asked and only a few actually answered your question, even fewer politely, Bravo Gentlemen!!!

You also got some verbal attitude and that is a shame. Don't worry, though, Mate. People recognise the patterns of these people and it reflects on them constantly.

Hornady makes a cool collet style puller but RCBS kenetic is only 15 bucks so hopefully, you can budget 30 bucks a year to feed your bullet puller smashing habbit.

Cheers...

Erm,

Is it not good advice to pay attention to what one is doing when reloading?

lgbloader
May 22, 2008, 09:38 PM
Good advise is one thing, heckling a fellow is another.

K3
May 23, 2008, 08:02 AM

Maybe. Perhaps thicker skin is in order as well....

geocole
May 23, 2008, 10:07 AM
Use a shell holder in the hammer.
My O ring wore out and I did not want to wait to get a replacment and read where a shell holder will work.

rcmodel
May 23, 2008, 12:52 PM
A shell holder will work, but will prevent a case from blowing out of the hammer should one light off.

That will result in an explosion on the end of your handle.

The collet will deform the plastic lock nut enough to release the case in the event of a "pressure excursion" inside the hammer head.

A shell holder will not.

rcmodel

TEDDY
May 23, 2008, 01:02 PM
I use the hornady lever puller.I do have two impact hammers but only use them on wadcutter pistol.
put cartridge in press and seat bullet top break seal[crimp].them pull.
pistol cartridges"lead" run in sizing die length of bullet.then pull bullet.
:uhoh::rolleyes::confused::D

feets
May 23, 2008, 02:07 PM
Get a can of spray paint.

Paint the twisty end of the puller some HOLY COW THAT'S BRIGHT color. It'll be a BIG visual indication which end is the smashy end and which is the twisty end.

At least you haven't smashed a primer yet.

Tell us something... Has your method helped to pull primers? :D

eliphalet
May 23, 2008, 04:04 PM
My O ring wore out and I did not want to wait to get a replacment and read where a shell holder will work.Any hardware store, Ace, True Value Etc. should have O-rings that will do fine.

The Bushmaster
May 23, 2008, 05:26 PM
L O L I would think that it would drive the bullet in farther before it would pull the primer...:D

Sorry guys, but I wish that Mr Dove (such a nice name) would live a bit longer with all his body parts functioning. So PAY ATTENTION!!:)

dirtman
May 23, 2008, 07:22 PM
+5 for rusty

RustyFN
May 23, 2008, 09:25 PM
Quote:

It just makes me wonder that if somebody can't operate a hammer puller correctly, especially after the large amount of bullets they pulled then they should be thinking very serious about having enough concentration to load ammo safely. If you screw up loading ammo you will have a lot worse things happen other than just breaking a plastic cap. I think the people that are being hard on Mr Dove are doing it more out of concern for his safety than for fun.
Rusty

lgbloader
May 23, 2008, 09:59 PM
I think the people that are being hard on Mr Dove are doing it more out of concern for his safety than for fun.

B.S.!!

lgbloader
May 23, 2008, 10:05 PM
Maybe. Perhaps thicker skin is in order as well....

Look who's talking...

I wish I could meet a few fellow members in person so that we could have an entertaining time:) You guys seem like alot of fun to be around.

RustyFN
May 24, 2008, 12:35 AM
B.S.!!
Hey now there's an intelligent answer. I glad you know what everybody was thinking and what their intent was when they wrote their post.
Rusty

lgbloader
May 24, 2008, 01:17 AM
Just what were your intentions with post #24? Trying to make a helpful caption and then post "I don't remember... blah blah blah". I can see your sincere concern for Mr. Dove.

Some of us members don't appreciate how some of the other members belittle people on this forum. This is supposed to be helpful, not target practive for being the butt of a joke. If you don't understand the difference by now, I don't think you'll ever get it.

End of discussion.

RustyFN
May 24, 2008, 01:45 PM
Just what were your intentions with post #24? Trying to make a helpful caption and then post "I don't remember... blah blah blah". I can see your sincere concern for Mr. Dove.
The OP obviously doesn't know what end to hit if he keeps breaking the cap off when he hits it. What better way to explain than a picture. If you don't like it you don't have to read it.
Rusty

rcmodel
May 24, 2008, 01:58 PM
Guys!
Play nice!

It seems Mr. Dove has left the building, so we can't get his opinion if he felt mistreated or not.

It did strike me odd (no pun intended) that the guy has so far broken three hammers by whacking them backward.

That right there just ain't right!
I mean, one maybe, but three?

And I am also of the opinion that if he can't operate a bullet puller, you got to wonder about some of the more complex reloading operations.

With that said, we have offered several good solutions to his problem, and he can pick one that best works for him.

Now lets take THR let it rest!

rcmodel

RustyFN
May 24, 2008, 07:50 PM
It seems Mr. Dove has left the building, so we can't get his opinion if he felt mistreated or not.

It did strike me odd (no pun intended) that the guy has so far broken three hammers by whacking them backward.

That right there just ain't right!
I mean, one maybe, but three?

And I am also of the opinion that if he can't operate a bullet puller, you got to wonder about some of the more complex reloading operations.

With that said, we have offered several good solutions to his problem, and he can pick one that best works for him.

Now lets take THR let it rest!

rcmodel

Sounds good to me RC. Just like to wish Mr Dove safe reloading. I don't want to see anybody get hurt.
Rusty

762 shooter
May 25, 2008, 09:33 AM
You guys are too funny!!!!

ranger335v
May 25, 2008, 09:50 AM
lg - "Some of us members don't appreciate how some of the other members belittle people on this forum. "

Lg, some of us really don't quite know what to tell someone who has broken three impact pullers by swinging it wrong-side down!

At first I thought he had to be kidding, no one should be asking US how to keep HIM from doing that repeatedly! But, since he appears to have been serious, the photo does NOT seem to be a bad answer. In fact, it may be the only one that would work to "solve" his problem.

Tell us again, what was your solution?

lgbloader
May 25, 2008, 12:59 PM
Lg, some of us really don't quite know what to tell someone who has broken three impact pullers by swinging it wrong-side down!

Then maybe you shouldn't say anything at all...

I had my opinions as well but I didn't voice them because I believe when someone is asking for help, that you don't shoot them down. That's something I learned by being a parent and trying to be a good person. At the end of the day, we all have to look at ourselves in the mirror. It really starts there. and I will say this again...
"Some of us members don't appreciate how some of the other members belittle people on this forum. "

I have nothing else to say and for me, this is the end of the discussion.

Cheers Everybody and have a Happy Memorial day weekend.

Bullet
May 25, 2008, 02:45 PM
lgbloader

Then maybe you shouldn't say anything at all...

I had my opinions as well but I didn't voice them because I believe when someone is asking for help, that you don't shoot them down. That's something I learned by being a parent and trying to be a good person. At the end of the day, we all have to look at ourselves in the mirror. It really starts there. and I will say this again...
Quote:
"Some of us members don't appreciate how some of the other members belittle people on this forum. "

I have nothing else to say and for me, this is the end of the discussion.

I believe the above is good advice and I will try to keep this in mind when I post.

If you enjoyed reading about "indestructible bullet puller?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!