Let's Do A Colorado THR Get Together

PDA

Justin
August 19, 2003, 09:11 AM
To any THR members in the big square state of Colorado, some of us have been tossing the idea around of doing a get-together sometime in the near future (possibly sometime in September.)

I just thought I'd toss a thread up to see who might be interested, and where/when/how we could get together and hang out.

It seems like we've got a pretty decent number of Colorado members, so I think it'd make for a good time. We did do something similar once before with TFL members, and it was a good time.

So, who's in?

If you enjoyed reading about "Let's Do A Colorado THR Get Together" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Steve Smith
August 19, 2003, 09:20 AM
Me.

LOL, read Thumper's post under mine and laughed. I will not be around in late September. Just schedule the get together when you can, and who ever makes it makes it.

Thumper
August 19, 2003, 09:23 AM
I'll be near Salida for a couple of weeks in late September. I might be able to make it.

MoNsTeR
August 19, 2003, 10:03 AM
Count me in!

Ian
August 19, 2003, 10:24 AM
I would love to attend, but I'll only be in Colorado for another week...

Thumper
August 19, 2003, 10:29 AM
Don't change on my account...work's flexible and I'm driving up. My parent's have a summer cabin there. I can probably go up anytime after the third.

Where in Co.?

Edward429451
August 19, 2003, 10:44 AM
I'm in. Sounds :cool: .

Where though?

Larry Ashcraft
August 19, 2003, 11:03 AM
Justin and Zundfolge and I have exchanged a few PM's about this. If you guys don't mind the drive, I've got a 35 acre place east of Pueblo where we have hosted several large gatherings (88 people last Sat. for MIL's 80th Birthday, fr'instance). I have a small pistol range out back, 40 yard berm and I belong to 2 ranges if anyone wants to do any serious shooting.

Anyway, I've already cleared it with the wife. We would be happy to host this get-together. We had one a couple of years ago for 1911forum.com and it worked out well. You can get a glimpse of my place in the hunting forum. Look for my thread "My New Tree Stand".

Let me know what you think, but I'm in wherever it's going to be. BTW, Thumper, it's about 2 hours from Salida.

Sisco
August 19, 2003, 11:20 AM
If you do it in Pueblo, I'd be able to make the drive out. If you don't mind a flat lander joining in. :D

Zak Smith
August 19, 2003, 12:19 PM
Hey, I'm up here in Fort Collins.

I'd try to make a CO THR get-together. I remember we tried to get something together back in the TFL days.

I would prefer a range longer than 40 yards, though!

-z

Dr.Rob
August 19, 2003, 12:35 PM
Count me in, just remember to drop an e-mail or PM.

Justin
August 19, 2003, 01:03 PM
What kind of get-together does everyone have in mind?

Maybe an informal bbq type of thing, bring a gun and one side dish?

I'm cool with a 40 yard range if we're just doing informal plinking-type stuff, but a longer range would be fine, too.

Larry Ashcraft
August 19, 2003, 02:04 PM
Maybe an informal bbq type of thing, bring a gun and one side dish?
That's kind of what I was thinking. But maybe we could meet at PWSA north of Pueblo, my son and I are both members and we can take 3 guests each. It's one of the better ranges in the state. Or there's a smaller range about 10 minutes from my house that I also belong to.

Then we could come over here, maybe shoot pistols for a while, have a picnic and maybe some adult beverages after the guns are cased. :D

Also, we have a couple spare bedrooms and plenty of space for camping if somebody doesn't want to drive all the way back home that day.

SodaPop
August 19, 2003, 03:05 PM
If you host one in late Sept or early October I may be able to make it. As long as its not too far from Denver.

Gonna visit my bro sometime.

I may show up unarmed since I can't bring my FAL on the plane.;)

I'll pitch in for ammo!:D

eerw
August 19, 2003, 03:24 PM
Sounds fun...given the right time...can be there...

JGReed
August 19, 2003, 04:08 PM
If it's in early Sept then I can make it. I'm packin' up and headin' to Maine next month.

-Jason

Larry Ashcraft
August 19, 2003, 04:09 PM
Uh-oh... eerw's coming.

You guys are gonna see some fast and fancy shootin'. :D

vitiaz
August 19, 2003, 04:36 PM
Count me in...

Isn't the 'Great American Beer Festival' coming up soon??? :D

scottgun
August 19, 2003, 04:49 PM
I might be interested, keep us posted on the date and location.

Obiwan
August 19, 2003, 04:57 PM
It....could....work!!!!!!!

TaxPhd
August 19, 2003, 05:30 PM
I'm up for it. Pueblo sounds good.

Scott

Zundfolge
August 19, 2003, 06:27 PM
You know I'll be there :)

just let me know when it is and gimme a map to get there :)

Thumper
August 19, 2003, 06:32 PM
I may show up unarmed since I can't bring my FAL on the plane.

How come?

Larry Ashcraft
August 19, 2003, 07:02 PM
One last thought. I could easily build a berm down in our meadow and we could do some 100-150 yard shooting, if that's what you guys would rather do. There are about 16 head of cattle on the place, but the owner is cool, if I ask him, he'll move them out for a day.

I'm going to sign off until tomorrow morning. I don't have a computer at home at this time. I will check tomorrow and see if there is any kind of consensus on dates and place, then I can send maps out.

Any time between Labor Day and early October would work, the weather gets iffy after that.

Also, we have a few doves flying around, any hunters bring your shotguns.

Stetson_CO
August 19, 2003, 08:19 PM
Im going to Pearland TX for a week(Sept 3rd - 10th) to do some job interviews and visit family but am available anytime after.

I like the bring a gun or some guns and side dish idea. I'll be there if I can. I would be bringing my g/f too if thats okay(and she wants to come)

c):{

Standing Wolf
August 19, 2003, 08:41 PM
Count me in!

Dan Morris
August 19, 2003, 09:33 PM
Keep me informed...I'm ok til mid October...Elk season
Dan:)

MoNsTeR
August 20, 2003, 11:20 AM
Isn't the 'Great American Beer Festival' coming up soon???
Yes it is! September 25-27 at the Convention Center

Larry Ashcraft
August 20, 2003, 12:28 PM
How about September 20th or 27th? Opinions?
Yes it is! September 25-27 at the Convention Center
Denver?

Trisha
August 20, 2003, 02:05 PM
Sure!

I'll do my best to attend, just drop me a pm when the details are settled, OK?

I'm up to my eyebrows getting the novel finished right now. . .

Susan and I could share the driving (no way I could manage Pueblo on my own) - so some would depend on her Rescue schedule.

Trisha

CMcDermott
August 20, 2003, 03:30 PM
I'd like to join the crew at any get together, just post when and where.

Justin
August 20, 2003, 04:55 PM
Ok, howzabout this for a schedule:

Around maybe 1pm we go to the local range and do some blasting.
Hang out there for a couple of hours.
Then we could head over to Larry's to do some general plinking with pistols and such.
After that, we bust out the coolers chock full of food/drinks, and fire up the grill.

Steve Smith
August 20, 2003, 05:26 PM
When should I do my "Party Boy" impression?

Larry Ashcraft
August 20, 2003, 05:33 PM
Justin, that sounds good to me. Now let me nail down a date or two. I just remembered we have 7 (count 'em) nieces and nephews staying with us for 3 days in Sept. so let me find out when tonight and I'll post a couple possible dates tomorrow.

I'll also see what I can do about the range (3 guests per member rule). My son and I are members and possibly eerw, I'll ask him.

I'll PM directions to everybody who responded to this thread and anybody else who wants them. (I probably shouldn't put directions to my house on a public forum)

Larry Ashcraft
August 20, 2003, 06:08 PM
OK, any date is alright, the nieces and nephews are going to be here on Thursday and Friday.

memorex
August 20, 2003, 06:39 PM
I'm in if I can make the date

Bob R
August 20, 2003, 06:54 PM
Sorry to miss this. Have been in CoSprgs for almost 6 months on a traveling assignment. Will be leaving the state about a week prior to the 21st. At least I will get back to where I can carry and go shooting on a regular basis.

You guys have fun.

bob

Sisco
August 20, 2003, 06:58 PM
Hope to make it, have to work the first two weekends in Sept., with enough notice I could get time off.

Justin
August 21, 2003, 02:22 AM
Howsabout we figure on the second, or maybe third weekend in September? Would that give everyone enough time to make sure they can get the days off and so forth?

Steve Smith
August 21, 2003, 08:47 AM
Late in September? Ya'll have fun.

WYO
August 21, 2003, 10:28 AM
If you wouldn't mind an invader from north of the border, I would be interested in attending. My hunting season starts 9/27, though.

Larry Ashcraft
August 21, 2003, 11:13 AM
How about Sept. 20th (the 13th would also work).

I'm still working on the range thing. Let's plan on my place in the afternoon, shoot some pistols and have a bbq. Sandy and I will provide the meat, burgers and brats probably. If everyone brings a (small) side dish or chips or drinks that would be great. I'll also provide sweet corn unless we get a hailstorm or something. If you've never tasted fresh sweet corn you will be spoiled after this. :D

I'll PM everybody that replied to this thread with directions to our place. Most everyone is coming from the north except sisco, so I'll provide directions according to that. If anyone is coming from the west or south let me know.

Steve, if you can't come we'll miss you, but I bet we do this again.

Its going to be a blast!

Trisha
August 21, 2003, 02:42 PM
There's a good chance Susan and I could make either date - count us in!

Trisha

Bob R
August 21, 2003, 04:20 PM
The 13th would work. My wife will be out here to join me for the ride home. We plan on leaving around the 16th to go back to WA.

bob

SodaPop
August 21, 2003, 06:07 PM
I don't think I'll be out there until early October.

Larry Ashcraft
August 21, 2003, 06:56 PM
Looks like the date is tentatively Sept. 13th. The only two to have a preference so far have been Sisco and Bob R. Anybody else have preferences?

Also forgot to mention, if anybody likes green chile, we are right in the middle of roasting season here. It will continue until first freeze (October 15).

And there ain't no chile better than Vineland chile. :cool:

eerw
August 21, 2003, 10:36 PM
Number6

you bringing some of your cool SVs???:D

Billll
August 21, 2003, 11:45 PM
Might be able to get out of town then. Our next Bike-N-Shoot is Oct 4, E of Brighton.

Sisco
August 22, 2003, 12:17 AM
Kinda funny;
I was detailing this planned trip to Co. to my wife at dinner this evening. Our daughter (19) reminded me of the time when we first had the internet in our home and I warned her and her brother about people they might meet on the internet and how it was a good idea to never arrange a face-to-face meeting because you never know who you might be dealing with.
Now here I was, telling them I was driving out of state to meet people I met on the 'net and everyone was bringing guns! :rolleyes:
Sounds like fun, can't wait!

JohnDog
August 22, 2003, 11:15 AM
Put me on the list!

I'll probably be down by Westcliffe (trying to get Bambi's grandpa to jump in front of an arrow) so stopping in on the way back to the Springs would make it a super weekend.

JohnDog

Larry Ashcraft
August 22, 2003, 02:45 PM
Looks like we are pretty much settled on the 13th of Sept.

Anybody got any problems with that?

labgrade
August 24, 2003, 01:54 PM
9/13 will work, I betcha.

Might have to bring the smoker & work up some salmon filets .... & I'd guess an antelope roast wouldn't be turned down.

Larry, what's the story on bringing a pal (my dog) down? (good w/folks/other critters & looks for dead stuff when the guns go off ;-) BTW, thanks for the PM steering me in & add me to the furthes list)

Zak Smith
August 25, 2003, 12:03 PM
9/13 sounds good. I'll plan on being there and bringing my SO ("Imago").

So the plan is a BBQ and some pistol shooting?

-z

Larry Ashcraft
August 25, 2003, 12:38 PM
So the plan is a BBQ and some pistol shooting?
That's pretty much it, but we could put in some range time early if anyone wants to, just PM me and let me know.

Anybody that doesn't have directions or if you have any other questions, feel free to PM me.

Bob R
August 25, 2003, 12:41 PM
Sounds like a plan. Just ordered 500rds of ammo for my CZ52, so I will bring it along and throw some flames downrange. May need some help, don't want to haul the weight back to WA....any takers?

bob

Sisco
August 25, 2003, 01:18 PM
May need some help, don't want to haul the weight back to WA....any takers?

Maybe, if you twist my arm. :D

Justin
August 26, 2003, 02:27 AM
Ok, so it looks like we've got a date and a place.
So all we need to do is peg down a general time, and figure out who's bringing what as far as side dishes/plates/drinks.

As far as that goes, here are the things we need for sure:

Non-food items:

Paper/plastic plates
Plastic cups
Plastic spoons/knives (forks are covered)
Napkins

Food Items:

Chips
Dip
Salsa
Hummus
Baked beans
Salad
Pasta salad
Bread
Corn bread
Other sorts of bread
Other sorts of food

Dessert stuff:

Cookies
Cake
Brownies
Etc.

Beverages:
Pretty self-explanatory

If there is something that you know for sure you can bring because you have it definately on hand, please send either an email or PM to Larry, or post it in this thread.

Larry Ashcraft
August 26, 2003, 06:59 PM
Might have to bring the smoker & work up some salmon filets .... & I'd guess an antelope roast wouldn't be turned down.
Man, that sounds good!

I'll have:

Burgers and accoutrements.
tubs of ice for beverages.
some tables.
dining canopies.
homemade dill pickles.
fresh tomatoes (limited to garden).
fresh sweet corn.

Michelob. :D

labgrade
August 26, 2003, 07:12 PM
Larry,

You are too kind. Will make sure we've brought enough to make the welocome you intended to make worthwhile.

Suffice it to say, we'll bring enough "stuff" for "a few extra," & if everybody else does similar, we'll all be set. No sense being "too much into planning." Let's just see how Colorado takes care of Colorado, huh? ;)

Bring yer stuff & we'll be all set. 'Change a PM or so w/Larry to make sure & A Big Whoop!

The Wife & I (+ dog) will need only enough space to mingle, smoke some food for attendees, & at the end of the day pitch a backpacker's tent to sway the dastardly 'squitoes that so ravarge this state. ;)

Might bring a coupla 20 ga SGs to lay low the local dove population, but other Than The Wife showin' y'all up at DA pistolsmithing, can't thing of a single shooter we'd need bring .... ;)

labgrade
August 26, 2003, 07:13 PM
BTW, after trying for 3+ years, looks like we may have an actual CO TFL gettogether.

Wa-Hoo!

& high damned time, too boot.

Larry. Thanks.

Sisco
August 26, 2003, 09:08 PM
Doves? What's an out of state license cost?
Sixteen year old son is considering coming along, Father / Son get away sorta thing. He's reasonably house broken and well versed in the rules of shooting safety.
Will there be any other people his age or would he be stuck with a buch of old fogies?

Zak Smith
August 26, 2003, 09:17 PM
You don't qualify for an old fogie card until 30. I think my SO and I have a few years left.

-z

Sisco
August 26, 2003, 09:26 PM
I used to live by the expression "Don't trust anyone over thirty".
Guess I haven't trusted myself for about twenty years now. :D

Standing Wolf
August 26, 2003, 11:21 PM
I'll bring along paper towels and cookies—probably store-bought rather than home-made, sad to say—and whatever else catches my eye.

Steve Smith
August 26, 2003, 11:28 PM
I'll bring some liverwurst dip.

KarlG
August 27, 2003, 12:26 AM
Larry,

Thank you for the generous offer. I will speak to the MRS and see if we can do this.

Stetson_CO
August 27, 2003, 01:43 AM
I will be there but Im not sure who wil be coming with me. Could be 2 others. I will try to get my g/f to make her au-gratin potatos, good stuff.

i'll be out of town from the 2nd to the 11th but you can still email me if there is something that you need me to bring.

c):{

labgrade
August 27, 2003, 05:59 AM
Oh Ceees-ko,

You may be surprised at some of us "old fogies." ;)

Bring The Young Lad.

Deepdiver
August 27, 2003, 09:10 AM
I am plugging in kinda late - but you can count me in. I am in Monument, so the location is real workable to me. I will bring my missus.

I'd be happy to work up a batch of my world famous "barking beans", as well as some other stuff in quantities sufficient for several others.

...maybe even a cartridge or two.

Is the plan to send out maps, etc. via PM??

Let me know.

WYO
August 27, 2003, 09:25 AM
Sisco, we're bringing our son, who is just shy of 11. He is salivating over the beginning of small game and blue grouse season on Monday. He gets along pretty well with older kids.

Larry Ashcraft
August 27, 2003, 10:08 AM
Sandy and I are getting more excited every day. We love entertaining, we had almost 100 people on Aug. 16th for my MIL's 80th birthday, including about 15 kids. Everybody had a blast.

What we've found is that everybody usually brings too much food, and then we have to divvy it up to take home. Some salads, deviled eggs, desserts, deviled eggs, baked beans, deviled eggs and some deviled eggs should do. The only thing we usually run short of is drinks, so if you just grab a 12 pack of soda, that would be fine.

If you're hunting doves, bring some rubber gloves to clean them. The health dept. has warned that West Nile seems to be crossing to other species of birds besides the crow family. I may just pass them up this year, but you are welcome to shoot them. Sisco, I wouldn't pay for a license just for this place, our hunting just isn't good enough to warrant it.

Will send directions to those who don't have them.

Larry Ashcraft
August 27, 2003, 10:53 AM
Oh, and about the time. We talked about 1:00, which is fine, but I'll need a little help with tables, canopies etc. If anybody wants to show up early, that's fine. Labgrade, if you need time to get your smoker going, feel free to show up any time.

Anybody that show up before 10:00 may end up bucking hay or picking green beans though. ;)

Edward429451
August 27, 2003, 12:22 PM
I've been talkin to the wife to try and get her to come with me. Maybe I can talk her into making some of her famous pierogi's to bring! (they're a pita to make):p

She said 'what? you're gonna go meet people you met on the internet and they'll all be armed??!!'

Bwahahaha! I told her Steve Smith was one and she met him. I guess he vouchin for all the rest of you, LOL.:D

Steve Smith
August 27, 2003, 12:26 PM
Weeeeeel, I just found out I'll be on a plane to Arlington, on the 13th. Sorry folks.

SodaPop
August 27, 2003, 12:43 PM
Weeeeeel, I just found out I'll be on a plane to Arlington, on the 13th. Sorry folks.

VA????

I won't be in Colorado until Octember.:o

Steve Smith
August 27, 2003, 12:45 PM
Nevermind....the boss made a mistake, I can make the 13th, I'll be on the plane the 14th.

Soda, what the h*** is Octember????

Jon Coppenbarger
August 27, 2003, 01:39 PM
I happen to be a member of pueblo west also if that helps.could also throw in a few targets also. has anybody checked the range dates to see if anything is going on out at pueblo west that day? jon

SodaPop
August 27, 2003, 08:02 PM
Soda, what the h*** is Octember????

I guess you never saw that Three Stooges episode................

Sisco
August 27, 2003, 09:13 PM
Just drug out the ammo boxes and took inventory.
I gotta spend some quality time at the reloading bench!

Zak Smith
August 28, 2003, 04:58 PM
So if I understand correctly, there is a pistol-range "on site"?

Larry,

Do you have any steel plates? We would need some 1/4"-3/8" mild steel plates for pistol calibers, and AR500 steel plates for rifle calibers. The mild steel plates should be only about $10 per plate. The AR500 plates are harder to find and more expensive.

-z

Larry Ashcraft
August 28, 2003, 05:27 PM
Zak, glad you brought that up. I have 4 pepper poppers and a swinging "silhouette" chicken. The chicken is 1" armor plate, but rifle ammo will dent it. I also have a couple homemade IPSC stands. My berm is small (the result of digging out a pond) but I'm going to try to work on a little with the loader.

BTW, everybody else: Scratch plates/utensils off the list, they're taken care of. Also salsa, we're spending the weekend putting a bunch up, and I think you'll prefer the fresh homemade stuff. :)

Zak Smith
August 28, 2003, 05:36 PM
Poppers are great. If possible, a rope to reset them from the firing line is desirable.

If we need them, I can probably acquire and bring several 10" square AR500 plates in time, if I know soon. All we'd need is a couple posts to hold them up.

I do have a whole case of IPSC targets and a roll of patch tape.

-z

Larry Ashcraft
August 28, 2003, 05:47 PM
A few of the IPSC targets would be great, we've been using plain cardboard for practice.

I do have a couple of tie-down plates from switch ties I've been meaning to weld on stands, and also a bunch of scrap iron laying around. Heck, I even have a brand-new welder. You're givin' me ideas. :D

Zundfolge
August 28, 2003, 06:07 PM
So how many people we got so far?

I need to know how much of whatever I bring to bring :p

Larry Ashcraft
August 28, 2003, 06:36 PM
About 20 so far, plus spouses (spise?) and kids. We're thinking about 50 total. I think we should do a RSVP thread on Monday the 8th.

I'll be mostly offline until Tuesday, 4 day weekend, but I'll drive to the shop and check in probably once a day (no computer at home).

Steve Smith
August 28, 2003, 06:45 PM
Turns out I will be on a plane that day, headed to Arlington. Got ticketed today. Ya'll have fun.

J-Man
August 28, 2003, 11:10 PM
Well, I'm in unless some Fire Dept. thing comes up. Sounds like a blast (literally)!

Obiwan
August 29, 2003, 07:03 AM
I am not going to make it ...Sigh!

But if you need IPSC trargets, PM me a shipping address and I will send a box down!

Justin
August 30, 2003, 04:37 PM
Later today or this evening I'll get a list up of all the people who've confirmed with me that they are coming.

MoNsTeR
August 30, 2003, 06:47 PM
Would it be inappropriate to bring guns to the meet solely for the purpose of trying to sell them? I've got a few things lying about that I don't need, and I'd rather sell them to another High Roader than consign them or drag them to gun shows. I know that should normally be confined to the For Sale forums, but this is a special event and I thought an exception might be made for it, especially if anyone else has anything to sell.

Kalvan
August 30, 2003, 11:45 PM
Just remember, 25 guns for sale or 3 vendors and it's a gun show! :cuss:

TheFrontRange
August 31, 2003, 01:44 AM
Also salsa, we're spending the weekend putting a bunch up, and I think you'll prefer the fresh homemade stuff.

Hi, Larry, I'm a member in Alabama with family in Colorado...absolutely love your neck of the woods out there...this may be terribly OT, but would you be willing to share your salsa recipe? I'm a salsa addict!!! :)

Justin
August 31, 2003, 03:03 AM
Here's a list I've thrown together of who has said they can definately make it, and those who have said maybe, depending on date/time/other stuff.

Definate:
stetson_co
labgrade
sisco
MoNsTeR
Edward429451
vitiaz
TaxPhd
Zundfolge
Standing Wolf
Dan Morris
Bob R
JohnDog
Deepdiver
Justin

Maybe:
Thumper
Zak Smith
Dr.Rob
JGReed
scottgun
Trisha
CMcDermott
memorex
WYO
Billll
KarlG
jc121
J-Man

If your status has changed, because either you can make it, or because you can't, please either post in this thread or let Larry or I know via PM/email.
If you're on the 'maybe' list, please confirm whether you can make it or not.

If you aren't on any of the above lists, then get on one of them! :)
Again, either post in this thread, or send an email.

That way it'll be easier from a planning viewpoint.
Also, let it be known if you plan to bring significant others/spouses/kids, etc.

If you don't have directions, please ask! :)

Zundfolge
August 31, 2003, 03:16 AM
It might be a good idea for those of us who will be attending to list the number of others that will be coming with them.

So in that list Justin posted, I would be listed as; Zundfolge +1 :)

and at this point it looks like we'll be bringing some sort of desert ... probably chocolate based :)

Larry Ashcraft
August 31, 2003, 11:54 AM
but would you be willing to share your salsa recipe? I'm a salsa addict!!!
Absolutely! I'll get it and PM you. You'll need lots of chiles, though.
Would it be inappropriate to bring guns to the meet solely for the purpose of trying to sell them?
Fine with me. ;)

Sisco
August 31, 2003, 12:18 PM
I'm ready to go!!
Got permission from the wife to drive three hours and meet a bunch of total strangers, all packing guns. :D
Gave all the guns a bath so they'd make a good first impression (shoot straight they might, look good they must!)
Ammo supply inventoried and supplemented.

Would've packed my underwear too but I might need both pair before then.
http://www.emotipad.com/emoticons/Drop%20Gob.gif

Zak Smith
September 2, 2003, 12:39 AM
I will definitely make it. My S.O. Sasha ("imago") will be coming too.

-z

labgrade
September 2, 2003, 11:40 AM
Me, The Wife & the dog (yup, got prior permission for the latter, & I might add that you may want contact Larry re that latest - a courtesy, I'd think).

Bells on & really can't wait to meet some more of y'all.

In all the time on TFL+, I think I've actually got to personally meet perhaps 4-5 of you face-to-face.

Way too few, & other than a couple (thanks you two for stopping by!) here at the house, I am reall looking forward to this.

Been a long time comin'.

Funny though.

I've had some conversations on-line with some (a few) & know you all as your screen-name & (many) not as what your real name is. Somewhat of a rconfiguration to call you by your real name.

Net-stuff seems silly face-to-face, huh?

</ramblings> ;)

Larry Ashcraft
September 2, 2003, 01:31 PM
Well, you guys forced me to do something I've been putting off for several years. I CLEANED UP THE BACK YARD! We're gonna have a pretty neat little stage with safe shooting for almost 90 degrees. I didn't find much for steel plates though, so if anyone has a few (Zak?) bring them along.

Sandy and my daughter put up 36 pints of salsa yesterday, so everyone should get a good sampling. Tomatoes should be very abundant also. I have a 16x22 canopy lined up but tables might be a little makeshift. We also have a 16x24 cement pad with a 16x16 deck on top, so there will be plenty of room for everyone.

Oh, and one addition to the directions. I'll put up a poster board that says "THR" at the end of the drive. Just follow the drive all the way to the end.

Zak Smith
September 2, 2003, 02:54 PM
Larry,

I am about 90% sure I'll have five 10" square AR500 plates by the 13th. (There is a slim chance the guy I get them from won't have time to cut them in time.)

These are good for basically anything that's not "AP" and hits at less than 3000fps. (So 223 is ok past 100 yards.)

I don't have any target stands for them, though. Do you have any T-posts (light fenceposts) we can drive into the ground?

-z

Larry Ashcraft
September 2, 2003, 03:37 PM
Zak,

I have lots of t-posts, pipe, angle iron and all sorts of junk in my scrap pile, just didn't have anything thick enough to make plates out of.

Also, I was thinking that we would need a few people to RO. eerw could, I'm sure, along with my son. Any other experienced competition shooters to help would keep safety first and foremost.

jade
September 2, 2003, 09:50 PM
i'll be there. my husband (MoNsTeR) is already in the list.

HeavyHaul
September 2, 2003, 10:17 PM
Wish I could make it, but I have to work that day. Big rental contract that will require several trips in the tractor-trailer. And Guess who the only driver is? Maybe next time. Y'all have a good time.

Bill

Edward429451
September 2, 2003, 11:19 PM
Edward429451 (+1)

:)

Standing Wolf
September 2, 2003, 11:59 PM
I haven't done range officer duty in quite a few years, but will be glad to pitch in, although I'll expect someone to yell, "Hey, which one's Will?"

Zundfolge
September 3, 2003, 01:36 AM
Maybe I missed it somewhere in this long thread, but what is the schedule going to be like?

What time should we be there?
What time does Larry want everyone cleared out?
Where there going to be times for specific events?

Larry Ashcraft
September 3, 2003, 10:53 AM
1. Thought we'd start around 1:00, do some shooting and then BBQ, eat and socialize. You're more than welcome to show up early.

2. Stay as long as you want.

3. No specific times, we'll make it up as we go.

MoNsTeR
September 3, 2003, 12:05 PM
In case anyone is interested, it seems the Pueblo area IPSC club is having a safety course the following day (Sep 14), maybe with a match afterwards, I've gotten mixed signals. Completing such a course is required to shoot IPSC in the Eastern Colorado section (www.ecouspsa.com). Anyway, I'm going to take it, and I think it'd be great if THR made a big showing.

I'll be bringing my SAR-2 package for sale:
http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32043
which interested buyers are welcome to inspect and shoot.

Also I have a BHP Practical (ie: 2-tone) 9mm with two factory 13rd mags, a C&S trigger, and C&S springs that needs a new home. I'm thinking $500ish.

Larry Ashcraft
September 3, 2003, 12:59 PM
Yes, there is a match on the 14th. Go here for details: http://www.limitedgun.com/ppps.htm

If you want to take the safety course, show up early and look up Tom Freeman. It wouldn't hurt to e-mail him first. My son, Jim and I will probably shoot that match.

Zak Smith
September 3, 2003, 01:55 PM
If people want to sell stuff, they should be subtle to avoid creating a "gun show."

-z

Zak Smith
September 3, 2003, 01:58 PM
There's also an IPSC match at Boulder on the 14th.

-z

Steve Smith
September 3, 2003, 02:11 PM
Ok, looks like everyone here (me, boss, travel lady) got the dates screwed up. I'm travelling on the 14th, so I'll be at the get-together.

I'll bring the liverwurst dip.

Larry Ashcraft
September 4, 2003, 06:57 PM
Just reviewed my directions and I told everybody to take exit 100B.

THAT IS WRONG, TAKE EXIT 100A - Highway 50 East - La Junta.

Actually 100B will get you there, but 100A is easier. Justin or I will try to PM everybody with the change.

Sorry about that, my wife told me I'd screw up the directions. :rolleyes:

Dr.Rob
September 4, 2003, 07:02 PM
I'm looking forward to it, now as I understand, handguns only, check the list to see what I need to bring. How's the lodging in Pueblo?

Edward429451
September 5, 2003, 12:43 AM
now as I understand, handguns only,

Is that right? Handguns only?:uhoh:

I've been down there loading the wrong ammo then!:D

Larry Ashcraft
September 5, 2003, 10:38 AM
I would prefer handguns (or handgun calibers) only for safety reasons. We could *carefully* fire some .223 or such. 30 Carbine would be OK.

Dr.Rob, plenty of hotels on the north edge of town.

Actually 100B will get you there, but 100A is easier.
I was wrong as usual. 100B takes you west on 29th street. Use 100A.

labgrade
September 5, 2003, 04:43 PM
So I'm to assume the Contender in .309 JDJ is still way OK? ;)

It's only a 14" barrel ....

Larry Ashcraft
September 5, 2003, 05:11 PM
So I'm to assume the Contender in .309 JDJ is still way OK?
Sure. ;) I had a 14" Condender in 30-30, wish I'd never sold it. :(

Forgot to mention this morning, the dove hunting is better than usual, not great, but better than usual. We can go down to the river and maybe get a few shots.

labgrade
September 5, 2003, 06:15 PM
I'll bring the TC, if nothing else, so ya'll can feel the trigger (got a traget at just 1/2" off left & at 3X .640" at 200 yards - it IS a sweety ... ) - & if we get to bang a round or two, all the better. If not, well - there's always up here.

Doves sound sweet. Been watchin' 'em fly all over the place here & have just not had the time ..... couple wrapped up & done right would not be a bad thing all told ....

MoNsTeR
September 6, 2003, 10:05 PM
Just my luck, I just broke my reloading press! Here's hoping I can get the part and get it fixed by friday. Failing that, thank heavens for Walmart value packs!

Sisco
September 8, 2003, 06:09 AM
http://www.weather.com/weather/detail/USCO0323?dayNum=5

Larry Ashcraft
September 8, 2003, 06:17 PM
OK we're just about ready. Spent most of the weekend working on the back yard with my loader. Built 6 target stands, Zak's bringing a couple steel plates, and Sisco's working on some plates also. Got the "World's Largest Barbeque" ready, lined up chairs. I think its gonna work.
It's only a 14" barrel ....
May have to drag out the old Wichita. ;)

jade
September 9, 2003, 01:44 PM
what is everyone bringing food wise? i was thinking about apple pie myself but i thought i'd check to see what other people were bringing.

Larry Ashcraft
September 9, 2003, 03:32 PM
So far looks like we've got some potato salad, beans, pasta salad, labgrade's salmon, chocolate dessert. Apple pie sounds great.

We will need chips for the salsa. Also extra drinks, pop or beer or wine coolers, whatever you want.
Some salads, deviled eggs, desserts, deviled eggs, baked beans, deviled eggs and some deviled eggs should do.
Thought I'd post that again in case no one saw it. ;)

Dr.Rob
September 9, 2003, 04:28 PM
A rainbow of chips, a crock pot of chili and .. anyone want to fire a .357 maximum?

Dad might just let me borrow it.

Hoser
September 9, 2003, 04:40 PM
I will see if I can scam Uncle Sam into a weekend off. I begged for Sunday as I am running the IPSC match the following day. Maybe if I come in to work early and pack a few extra parachutes, I will make it down in time. I will bring some toys...

I should really just move to Pueblo. I spend so much time there anyway.

Tom

Sisco
September 9, 2003, 05:08 PM
anyone want to fire a .357 maximum?
I do! I do!

Zak Smith
September 10, 2003, 12:42 AM
Trying to figure out my schedule for the day. Is this going to be a "grazing" affair, or have a more organized feeding schedule?

-z

Larry Ashcraft
September 10, 2003, 11:20 AM
Is this going to be a "grazing" affair, or have a more organized feeding schedule?
I'm gonna have to play that one by ear for now. I thought maybe we'd shoot/visit for a while, then fire up the big BBQ about 2:30 or 3:00 or so (it takes 3 bags of briquets). If someone is absolutely starving, we could fire up one of the gas grills or the George Foreman. So food will be available all afternoon.

My wife has a guest book she'll ask everybody to sign, we use it for all these occasions, so we can look at it once in a while and prove to ourselves that, yes, we are indeed crazy.

Larry Ashcraft
September 10, 2003, 05:54 PM
Hoser, eerw, Zak Smith, Steve Smith - we've got some serious shooters coming. Hope you guys all make it. :)

I've got about 60 burgers ordered, and sweet corn lined up. I didn't realize it was so late in the season, but one of my neighbors is still picking. My tomatoes are just about in thier prime, and I might have a watermelon or two ripe by Saturday.

Anybody have questions on directions?

Steve Smith
September 10, 2003, 05:58 PM
Might be a serious shooter, but I have nothing but rifle ammo and very little of that. Wondering what I'm gonna bring, if anything at all.

Larry, you need to tell us how much to pitch in to cover your costs.

Larry Ashcraft
September 10, 2003, 06:22 PM
Really, these little shindigs are somewhat of a hobby of ours. We like having friends, new and old, over a few times a year. Besides, hamburgers are cheap and sweet corn is practically free, I get it wholesale from the farmers.

And you don't need to bring any guns. I'm looking forward more to meeting and visiting than to shooting. I can go to the range anytime.

Deepdiver
September 10, 2003, 06:29 PM

..I'll second that. Just providing the venue is a big contribution - you shouldn't carry the rest of the load as well.

and, Steve, I will have 2 or 3 45's with me, as well as some extra ammo, so you are welcome to help me dirty them up.

Just look me up. It's the least I can do after your assistance in getting me info on the Frontier Sportsman Club. I am now a member, so I will probably see you at the range someday.

eerw
September 10, 2003, 06:45 PM
Hoping to make it too..yes...Larry..put out a tip can and let us contribute to your generosity..

This sounds like a great time..I am hoping that work allows me a little freedom this weekend..

I'll throw in a 45, 9 and 9x23..some IPSC racers too..see ya all

Sisco
September 10, 2003, 07:46 PM
Figured on bringing a .45, couple of .357's & maybe a .30 carbine.
Put me in the "Casual recreational shooter" bracket.

labgrade
September 11, 2003, 01:31 AM
Figure on bringing a couple S&W .357/.38s & a can of target loads just so some can play with 'em if they like. The Contender - so if we get a chance.

I'll have a 20lber of propane for the smoker w/a coupla hoses to hook up anything extra-wise. I'll bring a bag of briquettes + some other stuff - chest o' ice, etc.

Larry, do stick out a can for any who feel the need to stuff a coupla bucks in, K?

Me too though. If we get to shoot = fun enough. Just looking forward to putting some faces to names.

Zak Smith
September 11, 2003, 02:37 AM
Well, guys, here's what I'm bringing my S.O. Sasha,
10-15 IPSC targets (no stands/frames), patching tape, and a timer,
two 10" square armor steel plates, some mounting hardware,
TA11 ACOG on ARMS #19S for eerw to play with,
guns - Dan Wesson Patriot 1911, Ted Yost BHP, CZ-75B-SA, CZ-85 Combat "Championized", CZ-75 Compact SA Custom (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=39459), and a Glock 19, 27 (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=39755), and 23/32 (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38913), maybe SW #629 if I can load some ammo,
ammo - about 500 rounds each of .45 and 9x19, few boxes of .40. Just enough for some shooting, not a real blastfest.
food - not certain. What is needed?
camera & film.

-z

PS. Oh, I'll also bring the Benelli. It's good for steel.

labgrade
September 11, 2003, 03:09 AM
"camera & film."

NO, No, no.

That would violate all aspects of the witness protecti .... never mind. We're supposed to be secretive ....

:eek:

:neener:

Mods: Please delete this post.

AHAhaaaaaaa ....

Seriously though .....

Larry Ashcraft
September 11, 2003, 11:38 AM
OK OK. I'll put a can out if everybody promises not to put more than 5 bucks in. I would feel bad making a profit.

I'll probably mainly shoot my 1911. Thought it might be fun to set some paintballs on golf tees and let people have a go with my .17. I also have a set of rimfire swinging silhouettes I can drag out.

Pictures? Of course we need to post some afterwards. If anyone doesn't want their picture posted, we'll respect that.

Sisco
September 11, 2003, 11:40 AM
Need some paint balls? I seem to have a thousand or so lying around.
Good excuse to bring the 10/22 I just built!

Bob R
September 11, 2003, 11:48 AM
It looks like I will be bringing my wife, Sue, about 6 lbs of shrimp, a couple hundred rounds of .45 and 500 rounds of 7.62x25 (CZ-52).

See you guys after the tour of the McAllister house on sat.

bob

Larry Ashcraft
September 11, 2003, 11:52 AM
Got a big jar of paintballs, but bring more if you want.

Larry Ashcraft
September 11, 2003, 12:05 PM
Here's my ugly mug so you can get used to it.
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=481099
Hint: I'm the bigger one.

Trisha
September 11, 2003, 12:27 PM
Larry;

Regretfully, Susan and I will not be able to attend. I had hoped I would be up for such a long road trip, but no.

At least Preacherman has met both of us. . .

Trisha

Larry Ashcraft
September 11, 2003, 01:49 PM
Regretfully, Susan and I will not be able to attend.
I KNEW I shouldn't post that picture. :D

Seriously, Trisha, we'll miss you. :(

Standing Wolf
September 11, 2003, 09:00 PM
I'll bring along a camera, plus enough respect not to take pictures of people who'd rather not have their pictures taken.

Larry Ashcraft
September 12, 2003, 11:58 AM
Looks like the weather's not going to cooperate. Low to mid 60's, breezy, and some showers.

Bring a jacket!

eerw
September 12, 2003, 04:46 PM
Heres the forecast...see ya all there...

7 AM Partly Cloudy 50° 45° 44° 10% 78% From the North at 14 mph
8 AM Partly Cloudy 50° 45° 44° 30% 78% From the North Northeast at 14 mph
9 AM Partly Cloudy 51° 46° 44° 30% 77% From the Northeast at 14 mph
10 AM Partly Cloudy 52° 48° 44° 30% 74% From the Northeast at 13 mph
11 AM Mostly Cloudy 53° 49° 44° 20% 70% From the East Northeast at 13 mph
12 PM Mostly Cloudy 55° 51° 43° 20% 65% From the East Northeast at 13 mph
1 PM Partly Cloudy 57° 54° 42° 20% 58% From the East Northeast at 15 mph
2 PM Showers 59° 56° 42° 40% 53% From the East Northeast at 16 mph
3 PM Showers 59° 56° 41° 40% 51% From the East Northeast at 17 mph
4 PM Showers 58° 54° 41° 40% 53% From the East Northeast at 16 mph
5 PM Few Showers 55° 52° 40° 30% 58% From the East Northeast at 14 mph
6 PM Few Showers 53° 49° 40° 30% 63% From the Northeast at 12 mph
7 PM Few Showers 51° 47° 41° 30% 68% From the Northeast at 11 mph
8 PM Showers 50° 46° 41° 40% 72% From the Northeast at 11 mph
9 PM Showers 49° 45° 42° 40% 76% From the Northeast at 10 mph
10 PM Showers 48° 44° 42° 40% 79% From the North Northeast at 10 mph

Larry Ashcraft
September 12, 2003, 06:16 PM
I probably won't be online from 5:00 today until after the get together. If anyone has questions, my phone nos. are at the bottom of the directions I sent you.

I'll be online for the next 45 minutes, then I gotta go pick up hamburger.

Larry

Steve Smith
September 14, 2003, 10:32 AM
Hey, Larry, thanks for a great time. The turnout was awesome, and I enjoyed meeting everyone.

Larry Ashcraft
September 14, 2003, 11:20 AM
Everybody seemed to have a great time. Thanks to all for coming. Total people, including us:

FOURTY-TWO! :D :D :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Let's Do A Colorado THR Get Together" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!