Kahr practice regimen

PDA

mountaindrew
May 19, 2008, 02:52 PM
I just aquried a Kahr PM9 through a trade with another forum member and I wish to become proficient in its use.
The Kahr is goint to replace my KT P3at that I was never able to shoot very well.:uhoh:
I need suggestions regarding effective and efficient practice routines. I am not rich, (Owning a Kahr is living outside of my means:D) and cannot afford to put thousands of rounds downrange every month, But I am willing to budget some practice ammo and range time. I just want to make sure I am not wasting time and money by inefective practice techniques.
I would love any suggestions from other Kahr owners, or other pocket guns.

If you enjoyed reading about "Kahr practice regimen" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Picknlittle
May 19, 2008, 04:32 PM
One thing you might consider is dry practice. You can do it in the house (if it doesn't wig out family members.

Pick a very small aim spot, maybe a bright dot on something. Practice getting a good sight picture, then smoothly squeeze the trigger making sure not to disturb the picture. I don't think dry fire will hurt it, but the exercise will tell you lots about trigger control. YMMV

buenhec
May 19, 2008, 08:44 PM
I also traded my KelTec for a MK9 and have never regretted it. These guns are pretty accurate. The trigger takes a little getting used to but its easier to shoot than the Keltec.

Glock4good
May 19, 2008, 08:58 PM
Practice makes almost perfect :-). I shoot mine fairly often. I feel comfortable with it out to about 20 feet. I only carry it if I am wearing a fanny pack without an over-shirt. I wear a Great Western pack and I use it for my wallet and other personal articles. I keep the center section open for the PM9.I fits just fine and I have quick access to it.

ak-kev
May 19, 2008, 09:14 PM
"I also traded my KelTec for a MK9 and have never regretted it. These guns are pretty accurate. The trigger takes a little getting used to but its easier to shoot than the Keltec."

Wow, I did the same thing. Im loving my MK9!! Although I think the trigger is fantastic!

Vonderek
May 19, 2008, 09:46 PM
+1 on dry fire practice. I found that the Kahr trigger did take some time to acclimate to. It's not long or heavy by any means but just different than what I was used to. Once figured out, the trigger is terrific and my little MK9 is capable of astounding accuracy. When practicing live fire I usually start out with some slow deliberate aimed fire for a few mags. Then a few mags-worth of double taps and Mozambiques. Then I finish up with some one-handed point shooting at close range. I usually do most of my practice at 7 yards or closer since this is the distance I would most likely engage in reality. If any ammo is left over I put the target out to 15-25 yards for fun to see what size groups I can shoot.

jocko
May 20, 2008, 05:12 AM
indeed if you trade a kel-tec for a kahr, you indeed think you died and went to heaven. apples and oranges between the two in quality, trigger pull, accuracry. Love my pm9, 12,150 flawless rounds through it. I think it is now good to carry:neener:

JDGray
May 20, 2008, 09:09 AM
The hardest thing to be proficiant at with pocket size guns, is drawing the darn things. Alot of draw, dryfire drills, is free:)

Vonderek
May 20, 2008, 09:57 AM
The hardest thing to be proficiant at with pocket size guns, is drawing the darn things.
I agree. I bought the Kahr to be a pocket gun but because of its square contour it is difficult to draw from a jeans pocket w/o snagging. Therefore, I almost always carry it in a IWB holster and the J-Frame is still my pocket gun.

jocko
May 20, 2008, 10:05 AM
Hell I had issues drawing my kt 380 out of my jeans pocket, but it was just the tight fit of jeans , certainly not the guns fault. Not sure any pocket gun is a "quick draw" event. My J frames printed more than my kahr pm9 does in my front pocket and I can't say it was any faster to get out either. Pullling "any" gun out of your pocket to me is not a "quick draw" event, I opt for more safety than speed. FWIW

mainmech48
May 20, 2008, 11:44 AM
To supplement your dry fire exercises on a tight budget I'd recommend the sequence of drills that Clint Smith described in his "Reality Check" column in the Jan/Feb 2006 issue of "American Handgunner". You can get a CD of the whole year for about $6 from their website.

It consists of a combination of exercises totaling 100 rds. He designed it to develop and maintain proficiency in the basic skill sets of defensive shooting with a semiauto.

I've found that using them regularly has rendered the use of my limited practice time more effective by making sure that every session has the same systematic and disciplined framework. This allows me to quickly and positively identify where my strong points are and where improvement is needed. This it allows me to concentrate any additional practice rounds where they're really needed and that also makes it much more efficient, IMO.

If you enjoyed reading about "Kahr practice regimen" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!