Ever shoot less calibers/guns because of reloading?

PDA

dandean316
August 19, 2003, 04:49 PM
Ok, let me say I am a newbie to reloading. Let’s get that out of the way.

Have any of you ever reduced the number of calibers you shoot because of reloading? My guess is people actually add more calibers because of reloading – the .41 mag comes to mind – way too expensive for factory ammo.

The reason I ask is because of reloading I can now shoot full house +P .45’s at 1100 fps, yet at the same time go real light to get that 9mm feel that my wife has no problem shooting.

I'm just kind of curious since I am starting to see no need for my 2 9mm’s. Looking for thoughts on this.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ever shoot less calibers/guns because of reloading?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Bacchus
August 19, 2003, 05:07 PM
What I have found is that I tend to shoot the calibers for which I reload, probably due to the cost savings. For example, I shoot a lot of 38s since I can reload them easily and cheaply. I hardly shoot the calibers for which I don't reload.

C.R.Sam
August 19, 2003, 08:34 PM
Ever shoot less calibers/guns because of reloading?
Nope...just need more space for presses n dies n componants n stuff.

Sam

HankL
August 19, 2003, 08:55 PM
40 or so sets of dies around here boss. I do have more than on set of dies for the same caliber on a few though. I have found it to be easier to gear up and load several hundred rounds at the time for my less fired guns. I have found that when I load up several hundred rounds of 7x61 S&H, the neglected old Winchester 70 that Harry McGowen built up becomes one of my most fired guns. ;) Go figure.

Phil in Seattle
August 19, 2003, 09:15 PM
I wouldn't have a 444 Marlin if I didn't reload, probably no 41 magnums either. 45Colt would probably be out too.

larryw
August 19, 2003, 10:04 PM
Yes and no. I quit shooting 9MM because 45 was so cheap to load. But I did pick up a bunch of different rifles because I load...

Art Eatman
August 19, 2003, 10:22 PM
Samseddit.

Art

Standing Wolf
August 19, 2003, 11:09 PM
I find I'm more inclined to look favorably on guns in calibers I already load for than those I'd have to start loading for: it typically takes me between five and fifteen batches of ammunition to find the best load for a given caliber. If I'm already loading the caliber, I can usually reduce the number of batches by half to two thirds.

dandean316
August 20, 2003, 09:09 AM
I quit shooting 9MM because 45 was so cheap to load.

That's kind of what I've been thinking. At least for handguns it seems if you reload you don't "need" as many calibers. I am thinking of dumping a few 9's and 40's because I can do a lot of the same thing by reloading a .45. Sure I can't push a superlight bullet real fast out of a .45 but who cares? Rifles I would guess are another question.

Just my thoughts. Straighten my thinking out if I am off base here.

ChristopherG
August 20, 2003, 01:43 PM
I've quit shooting anything but revolver calibers, cause they're so great to reload for, and just a couple calibers give me so much range--.38/357 and .41 mag. There's not a whole lot I can't get out of those two, from pussycat loads for my son & wife to shoot, to IDPA, to IPSC major, to hard-flat-&-heavy silouhette (or hunting, eventually), to customized snubby loads, to easy-going cowboy or hot-dang loads for my .357 carbine. .38's so reasonable to load for I hardly shoot .22 anymore. And 9mm? What's the point of that?

Anyone want a great deal on a Glock 17?

CG

Neal Bloom
August 20, 2003, 01:52 PM
I reload for every caliber (rifle and handgun) I shoot except for 9x18 Makarov.

dandean316
August 20, 2003, 01:53 PM
And 9mm? What's the point of that?

Oh boy, here we go! :D

I was about to say the same thing, but resisted!

Poodleshooter
August 20, 2003, 05:13 PM
I stopped buying additional guns in different calibers because I don't have the time to reload for all of them. As it is, I always have huge backlogs of dirty brass, clean brass, and primed brass waiting for attention. I shoot less because I reload more, but I still shoot a LOT more than if I didn't reload.
I need a progressive... :)
I still have guns that I don't reload much for (my AK for example). It's actually somewhat of a relief to know that I won't spend 10 minutes afterward picking up brass.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ever shoot less calibers/guns because of reloading?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!