Wax Bullets

PDA

sm
May 20, 2008, 03:18 AM
I would really appreciate it if you folks would post the process in making wax bullets please.

I never got into metallic reloading, instead shotgun shells.

I have some folks interested in making up these Wax bullets for .38spl.
They have used the Speer Plastic Training Bullets, just with ammo prices and other factors, these Wax Bullets offer a great alternative for them.

Respectfully,

Steve

If you enjoyed reading about "Wax Bullets" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Okiecruffler
May 20, 2008, 05:03 AM
Steve, I never played with wax bullets, but I have loaded those little foam earplugs into 38sp brass with just a primer to push them. Got the idea from a fella in Florida who uses them to shoot rubber duckies in his swimming pool.

Sport45
May 20, 2008, 05:10 AM
Fond this with a quick search...

Then I came across a link that introduced me to wax bullets:
http://yarchive.net/gun/ammo/waxbullet.html
I immediately fixed up 50 cartridges with homemade wax bullets, went out to the back yard
and discovered a cheap and very effective way to practice point shooting. If you reload your
own ammo, wax bullets are are an alternative to expensive ammo and save on gas money by
not having to drive to the range. You don't really have to be a reloader to create your own wax
bullets. The only thing necessary is a hand loader for inserting the primers into the cartridge.
Everything else can be done with hand tools that you probably already have in your tool box.

The sound of a wax bullet being fired is no louder than a cap pistol and you can practice in your
garage if your neighbors live too close for shooting outside. If you shoot indoors, make sure you
have adequate ventilation. Because there is no recoil, your shots will hit low but you can compensate
for this with two targets, one for your sight picture, the other for actual target hits. I was very
surprised at how accurate these wax bullets are.

BE CAREFUL. These wax bullets can penetrate 1/2" wallboard at close range.

plexreticle
May 20, 2008, 05:57 AM
I've made wax bullets using a method similar to the one listed in the above link except I didn't drill out the primer pockets and I didn't push the wax rounds in.

I decapped a bunch of 38/357 cases, melted some wax in a pan about 1/2 in, let it cool. Pushed the shells in the wax like a cookie cutter. Pressed in new primers. Good to go.

Shot well over 100 of these and haven't any problems with primers setting back. No problems with accuracy at short distance. They can be loud and they make some smoke.

Afy
May 20, 2008, 07:22 AM
How do you get the wax fouling out? Hotwater?

Walkalong
May 20, 2008, 08:57 AM
I have never shot wax bullets, but I have made wax gas checks the same way. Make them thin and seat a bullet over them. They will eliminate, and even blow out, lead fouling, but are somewhat of a pain.

I would not think water, hot or not, would get out wax, but someone here will know how.

Grandpa Shooter
May 20, 2008, 11:30 AM
Bill Jordan used wax bullets all the time. Drill out the flash hole to 1/8". Melt wax and pour into a flat tray to 3/8". Use the mouth of the case like a donut hole cutter, or biscuit cutter. Press in a primer and shoot. Used them in my single action pistols when practicing in my garage. Got pretty handy with those pistols.

Punch out the spent primers and repeat.

trickyasafox
May 20, 2008, 11:35 AM
Over on castboolits they have a whole thread dedicated to 'hot glue' bullets, or 'glulets'

I've made them and they shoot well, and are re-usable. I still would NEVER EVER point them at something I did not intend to destroy- but they are great as a gallery load. no recoil.

open up the flash hole in the primer pocket and mark the brass so you don't put it in with regular brass. if you do your life will get interesting.

opening the flash hole keeps the primer from backing out and locking up a revolver.

I use standard primers.

PotatoJudge
May 20, 2008, 11:43 AM
I've done the same as plexreticle. A couple of the primers backed out somewhat but only enough to change the feel of the action, never enough to lock up the gun. Accuracy was poor even at 7 yards and I could see the bullets flitting around on the way to the target. I think next time I'll try different bullet lengths (mine were probably 5/8 of an inch long) and maybe add something to soften the wax some.

rcmodel
May 20, 2008, 12:10 PM
if you do your life will get interesting.No it won't.

You need to drill the flash holes out to 1/8" for use with wax bullets.

Many versions of the new "Clean" and "Lead-Free" factory ammo come already drilled that big.

You can reload them with normal power loads just like any other brass.

BTW: Most revolvers will bind up on backed-out primers if you don't drill the cases. It is very hard on DA revolver lock-work to force them to overcome the resistance.

rcmodel

feets
May 20, 2008, 02:26 PM
We drilled the cases to take 209 primers and loaded wax. They definately have some velocity and would put a hurtin' on any innocent victims.

30Cal
May 20, 2008, 02:30 PM
I've shot hot glue slugs. I don't know if they come in a size close to .38 caliber.
The .45" sticks work nicly in a .45 though.

fletcher
May 20, 2008, 02:30 PM

Some Goo-Gone would probably make quick work of it.

rcmodel
May 20, 2008, 02:38 PM
The wax you use is paraffin canning wax.

Any gun oil or solvent will take it out in one pass.

Or just leave it in.
It's a pretty good rust proofing lube, and has been used as a base or additive for homemade bullet lube in the past.

Liquid paraffin is Mineral Oil.

rcmodel

highorder
May 20, 2008, 03:58 PM
Over on castboolits they have a whole thread dedicated to 'hot glue' bullets, or 'glulets'

can we have a link to that thread please? :)

sm
May 20, 2008, 04:04 PM
I appreciate the replies, I really do.
I am forwarding this thread with replies to those that asked me.

They think you folks are the best, and appreciate your sharing.

*smile*

Steve

tomh1426
May 20, 2008, 04:14 PM
I wanna shoot hot glue bullets, how big are the hot glue glue sticks .45"

learn2shoot
May 20, 2008, 04:25 PM
Steve, I never played with wax bullets, but I have loaded those little foam earplugs into 38sp brass with just a primer to push them. Got the idea from a fella in Florida who uses them to shoot rubber duckies in his swimming pool.

I am just picturing my grandfather sitting pool side in his swim suit doing this....

That was the funniest thing I have heard all day.

30Cal
May 20, 2008, 05:09 PM
I wanna shoot hot glue bullets, how big are the hot glue glue sticks .45"

They're around .430" ish if I remember correctly. I brought a mic to the store and got the biggest ones. They vary quite a bit from one bag to the next. At 5 paces, they shoot into a tight wad out of my 1911.

Drill the flashhole out to 1/8", stuff a glue stick down the neck and cut it off, prime and fire. I've seen that some people use the hot glue gun and use a real bullet mold to make glue bullets.

mr.72
May 20, 2008, 06:17 PM
how do you get them to load in your 1911? Do you put them in the magazine and then rack the slide each time or do you manually load through the ejection port?

30Cal
May 20, 2008, 07:08 PM
It's been a couple months and I don't recall. I probably tried to load from the magazine since it's bad to chamber and drop the slide.

trickyasafox
May 20, 2008, 09:27 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=17577&highlight=glue+boolit

.38 Special
May 20, 2008, 11:37 PM
I shoot wax every day, and to be perfectly honest, I've never had any home made bullets -- made with a number of different published techniques including the ones mentioned here -- that worked as well as the ready-made ones from C&R. (http://www.gunfighter.com/waxbullets/) At $25 per thousand including shipping, these actually cost less than buying bulk wax.

They also offer shells drilled for shotshell primers, which really do make things easy. Unfortunately they are a lot louder than standard primers, so might not be appropriate for an urban garage.

I don't clean the guns though C&R recommends it -- warming up the barrel with hot water then brushing. They do get cleaned before shooting "real" cartridges, as I worry a bit about increased pressures caused by a bullet running into a bunch of wax in the bore. This may or may not be a legitimate concern, but there you go.

HTH!

plexreticle
May 20, 2008, 11:44 PM

wd-40 or hoppes cleans out the wax.

Encoreman
May 20, 2008, 11:57 PM
I too am a wax bullet shooter, yes the primers will back out to a degree. Ya'll are going to laugh, but a friend and I were speculating as to the speed of the wax bullet. So being the redneck that I am, I chrono'd them and was surprised at avg. speed of over 300fps with a Fed primer. I know I should have saved them and used a cci or win. Mac

tomh1426
May 21, 2008, 12:07 AM
Im making a wax bullet right now!
I alredy drilled out the flash hole and melted the wax into a small pan so its a little over 1/2" deep.
Im waiting for it to cool so i can press the case into it, Im using a .38 case with a cci magnum primer (all I have).
I dont see how it could hurt me or the gun but im still kinda chicken.
I let yous know what happens.

Soybomb
May 21, 2008, 12:59 AM
The hot glue bullets are kind of a neat take on the old idea. I wonder if revolver shooters could just squirt the glue right into the case...

Of course a reminder: primers make lead contamination, shooting inside your house is probably unwise

tomh1426
May 21, 2008, 01:32 AM
OK I shot it, wasnt very loud and shot to poa.
shot at 10' into a stack of magazines,
didnt make a big mess but their was some black crap left in the barrel.
Primer didnt push back at all.
I makin another one :)

birdshot8's
May 21, 2008, 09:09 AM
hot glue. now this is going to be fun. thanks.

pbearperry
May 21, 2008, 09:34 AM
Whatever you do,make sure you still show respect for the wax bullet. I shot some out of my .38 spl and they went through both sides of an empty cardboard box.I would venture to say at close range they would break the skin.

mr.72
June 11, 2008, 04:54 PM
so any more word on how they load in an autoloader?

I presume you just rack the slide to eject the shell and load the new one... but given there is no nose on the bullet I wonder if they will feed...

rcmodel
June 11, 2008, 05:14 PM
I wouldn't recommend them for auto-loaders.

They almost certainly won't feed out of the magazine and slip up under the extractor hook like a normal round.

And it's very hard on the extractor in a lot of guns to drop them in the chamber and force the extractor to snap over the rims.

rcmodel

Griz44
June 11, 2008, 09:10 PM
RANGE REPORT: HOT GLUE AUTOLOADER

You guys are a bad influence on me. I would have NEVER done anything like this before you "shudder" reloaders corrupted me...

The load:
45 ACP
Winchester brass
WLP primer
no powder
hot glue stick.

The hot glue stick microed at .447 - pretty close to .451
I primed the case, cut a chunk of stick .66 long (same as my cast stuff)
it went in the case really nice, just tight.
It was crimped using the Lee FCD. Made a good tight fit.
Loaded it in the magazine
Loaded the magazine into the gun.
Put on my safety glasses.
Range 10'
Target - two cardboard boxes, one inside the other.
Slingshot the slide. Loaded flawlessly into my COLT GOVERNMENT SS 5"
BANG!
The dog ran upstairs to hide, the wife downstairs (to see if I had finally killed myself.)
The round went through both layers of cardboard, bounced off the wall and landed at my feet. (Wall is sheeted with plywood)

YEEEEEEEEHAWWWWWW....

I did the slingshot, and the next round loaded flawlessly as well. Wife made me stop. She just cannot accept the fact that I was enjoying myself.

Pictures attached!

http://www.burntpowder.com/hotgluegun/2.jpg
http://www.burntpowder.com/hotgluegun/1.jpg
http://www.burntpowder.com/hotgluegun/3.jpg
http://www.burntpowder.com/hotgluegun/4.jpg
http://www.burntpowder.com/hotgluegun/5.jpg

Griz44
June 11, 2008, 09:14 PM
Footnote,
The used projectile is reloadable.... Did not deform at all.

Grandpa Shooter
June 12, 2008, 01:46 AM
Wife made me stop. She just cannot accept the fact that I was enjoying myself.

Best (and most honest) line I have heard in a long time:D

JeepGeek
June 12, 2008, 12:43 PM
I'm gonna have to start following this Griz fellow around-- he knows how to spin a yarn. :)

HiWayMan
June 12, 2008, 03:45 PM
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=2954316&highlight=wax+bullets#post2954316

Griz44
June 12, 2008, 06:04 PM
Some autumn night, we are going to have to get all of us together and camp out somewhere and tell our tales in front of a warm fire ring and a cold growler of brew. In my short 57 years, I have had too many narrow escapes from the Darwin Awards short list. Life was intended to be lived, not just endured.

Barr
September 27, 2009, 10:11 PM
The wife made me stop when she found out the wax bullet penetrated 2 layers of cardboard, both sides of a rubbermaid trashcan, and dented a metal door scraping off the paint in the process.

Our ideas of fun were very different.

Randy1911
September 27, 2009, 11:40 PM
When I was a teenager I use to take a pair of pliers and pull the bullet off of 22 LR and then without spilling the powder I would shove them into a large candle. I would then load them into my revolver. They made great indoor target loads.

Kernel
September 28, 2009, 12:22 AM
Liquid paraffin is Mineral Oil.

Why that's just silly talk.

Paraffin and Mineral Oil are two entirely different things. They must be, I can tell, because they're spelled differently and everything.

Don't even get me started on Kerosene and WD40.

:neener:

Venado
September 30, 2009, 06:02 PM
I have made the hot glue bullets, but did it differently. Take one of the super-hot glue guns with super-hot glue sticks. This might sound scarry but works. Take your bullet mold and squeeze the hot glue into the mold. It will not glue it together, and will readily come out. If you want to get real inventive, put some graphite on it and it will look like the real thing. I used a gas-check mold, and put a gas-check on the glue-bullet, and put it over about 2.0 grains of bullseye. It shot into a phone book about 2+ inches.

sonier
October 3, 2009, 10:25 PM
ok now im gona have to try somin, reload my own primers and use them with wax bullets, ill be shooting for nothin!! no cost nearly

Maj Dad
October 4, 2009, 02:19 AM
Be very careful with them. I used to punch 44 mag cases on paraffin blocks and prime afterwards with Magnum primers (flash holes drilled out - don't recall size, but larger than standard hole for sure). From my back porch I shot a weathered shed and the wax slug dented it about 1/8" deep from about 30-40 feet. It smacked the crap out of a stray cur that was hanging around & growling & sent him packing. Lots of strays out in the woods of Georgia, dropped off by lazy a-holes who didn't want to care for them or take them to humane society, and I used wax bullets to help them keep moving without killing them. But I will add, drill the cases - my Ruger SBH locked up tighter'n Dick's Hat Band and I thought I was going to have to take it to a smith. Finally removed the center pin and disassembled it, but it was a pain... :cuss:

rfwobbly
October 4, 2009, 10:22 AM
It smacked the crap out of a stray cur that was hanging around & growling & sent him packing.

Then it probably works on IRS agents too. :D

nitetrane98
October 4, 2009, 11:29 AM
I can tell everybody is wondering what would happen if one were to be shot with a wax projectile. Back in the day when the Hogan's Alley training began to flourish, some buddies and I decided we wanted to up the ante a little and use live BGs. Since I was the only reloader I was tasked with figuring something out. To make a long story short, I made up some .38 spls with whatever size the blocks of parrafin are, 1/2" ?? and had the wife plug me with one from across the room. I don't know about the other calibers and LP mag primers you others are using but the .38 came nowhere close to penetrating anything so I felt brave/stupid enough to give it a try. Funny though, now that I recall, my now ex-wife never batted an eye at the opportunity.

We never made it to Hogan's Alley with these things for shooting each other. Gentlemen, they HURT!!!!! Starts out as a little sting and the welt starts raising and the pain starts radiating. A lot like a bee sting. They were surprisingly accurate, however.

Bwana John
October 5, 2009, 05:12 PM
We used to have "wax wars" in the days before paintball.

We used .22's with the projectile pulled, but keeping the full powder charge.

Projectiles were birthday candles stuffed into the case and cut off so they didnt protrude thru the cylinder.

They DID hurt!

The favorite pistol was a 9 shot break open H&R.

Roccobro
October 5, 2009, 06:15 PM

Projectiles were birthday candles stuffed into the case and cut off so they didnt protrude thru the cylinder.

They DID hurt!

The favorite pistol was a 9 shot break open H&R.

Oh no...

I have some old B-day candles in the cupboard.

I'll go get my .22's. :D

Justin

mdemetz
October 5, 2009, 06:44 PM
Pre-made here;
http://www.gunfighter.com/

Maj Dad
October 5, 2009, 08:05 PM
Bwana John,

YOU'LL SHOOT YOUR EYE OUT, KID!

;-)

Starter52
October 5, 2009, 08:24 PM
An interesting thread on wax bullets. I must have missed it earlier. Thanks for the update, Barr.

Walkalong
October 5, 2009, 08:46 PM

We used to make clay BB's for our BB guns and shoot each other. Not the brightest thing we ever did. Unfortunately not the worst either.

Bwana John,

YOU'LL SHOOT YOUR EYE OUT, KID! Yep... ;)

Bwana John
October 5, 2009, 10:39 PM
Bwana John,

YOU'LL SHOOT YOUR EYE OUT, KID!

We wore safety goggles,....but

I will never forget the grazing shot to Bill Bottles forehead, his safety goggles filled up with blood in about 5 seconds. :uhoh: We tryed to hide the injury from his mom, but she found out anyway (kinda hard to hide a 4 inch slash across yer forehead ;) )

Remo-99
October 6, 2009, 04:01 AM
don't know about the other calibers and LP mag primers you others are using but the .38 came nowhere close to penetrating anything so I felt brave/stupid enough to give it a try. Funny though, now that I recall, my now ex-wife never batted an eye at the opportunity.

That should have told you something, right there and then. ;)

I can't fully recall, but I may have been using mag primers with the wax loads I was using years ago, would punch clean through an empty aluminium soda can from my .45acp 1911 at about 7-10yrds.

coloradokevin
October 6, 2009, 06:51 AM
We used to make clay BB's for our BB guns and shoot each other. Not the brightest thing we ever did. Unfortunately not the worst either.

We weren't quite as creative, but were at least as stupid. Our methodology for BB gun wars involved using normal BB's in a 10-pump Crossman BB gun, but only pumping the gun twice. Of course, there would always be that one "friend" who thought it was cute to pump the pellet gun just a couple of extra times, just for good measure... bastards!

You would think we'd learn from our youth... nearly twenty years later I became a cop, and now my peers and I shoot at each other with Simunitions (I think I prefered the BB's, honestly)

Gadzooks Mike
October 6, 2009, 11:32 AM
You guys are reminding me of my youth. I grew up in a neighborhood with 7 cousins. One was our designated "guinea pig" as we could talk him into doing just about anything. So if we wanted to test something semi-dangerous, i.e. something that would cause us pain, injury, or problems with our parents, we called on Benny! I miss Benny, and wish he would move near me again, as there are still several things I'd like to find out. I still don't know why he moved to Australia....

Seedtick
October 6, 2009, 01:01 PM
It's a wonder some of us ever made it to 'adult-hood'.
:evil:

ST

aftCG
October 6, 2009, 02:48 PM
I'd caution that these are a piece louder than one might think. About 10 years ago I made up a batch in .45ACP as described (drilled and notched old brass, hand poured wax sheet). I was in the kitchen and took aim at a light switch about 15' away. Blew the switch plate all to hell and it was quite loud.

Yes, already divorced at the time.

duck911
October 6, 2009, 07:35 PM
think you could get enough trailboss in a .38 spl case to prevent the primer from backing out? :D

Navy_Guns
October 7, 2009, 10:04 AM
I just ordered some .45 LC cases and 1,000 wax bullets from gunfighter.com (I can blame you guys, thanks). Do you think their wax bullets can be melted back down and re-poured into a sheet for re-use? Not like $25 for 1,000 (delivered) is going to break the bank...

800+ fps for a .45 caliber wax pill has GOT to be hazardous! A .68 caliber paint ball at 300 fps hurts. I drilled and countersunk a 12 ga. A-Zoom snap cap to shoot 6mm airsoft pellets with 12 gauge primers, you get better than 1,850 fps with those but they only weigh .2 grams.

roo_ster
April 22, 2010, 06:03 PM
Howdy, All:

I just learned yet another technique. I cannot take credit, I learned it from a (presently anonymous) co-worker.

It is a little more wax-hungry than other techniques, but pretty simple, and does not require drilling out the primer holes any.

Materials:
Cases: fired, cleaned, de-primed, but not sized
Magnum primers of size appropriate for the cases
Paraffin slabs
Brownie or loaf pan
Black powder lube: petroleum-based

1. Gather up some fired, cleaned, de-primed but not sized cases.

2. Grab a new, dedicated brownie or loaf pan. Do NOT snatch your wife's from under the cupboard.

3. For every slab of paraffin, include an amount of petroleum-based black powder lube equal in size to your thumb up to the first joint. This will make the wax less brittle when cold & hard and less likely to shatter. I think it also helps the bullet hold the rifling.

4. Fill pan up to the height of the cartridge case you are using, while melting the paraffin/lube in a double-boiler or some other safe means of heating the mix. Stir it up to mix lube & paraffin.

5. When melted & mixed, take off the burner and allow to set up a bit, but not completely cool off.

6. While wax still a little malleable, push case straight down into it, completely filling the case. A twist at the end helps to break it off. Smooth over top with a finger to get it even with case mouth and to generally clean off the whole case.

7. Allow to cool to room temp.

8. Using a hand-primer, prime the cases with an appropriately-sized magnum primer.

That's it.

The increased weight of the larger/longer wax plug, filling the case completely with the wax plug, and the use of magnum primers increases the pressure enough to keep the primers from backing out. The bullets usually survive being shot at hard surfaces. Examination shows that the base of the wax bullet gets a little (not quite hemispherical) indentation from the primer's pressure and obdurates the base. The bullets show that they take the rifling very well.

They usually shoot low. On plain paper or cardboard, I will shoot one, then use that hole for the rest. There will be a 5-shot group below that is one ragged hole, usually, at ranges of 7-10 yards.

I have shot these in my SW629 .44mag, SW686 .357mag, and my Taurus 651 .357mag snubbie. My buddy has shot them in his .357mags & .44mags by the thousands with no backed out primers.

dc.fireman
April 22, 2010, 07:25 PM
OMGYOUGUYSAREGOINGTOGETMEINSOOOOMUCHTROUBLE...

I will probably be divorced by the end of the month doing this. But this is one of those
"Mento's in a bottle of Diet Coke" moments that I just cannot resist.

And for the record, I'm stayin' away from Griz, and Benny's cousin.

-tc

roo_ster
April 22, 2010, 10:12 PM
Meh, just do your wax load shooting in the garage. I like a large cardboard box with a piece of plywood behind it. Sounds like a loud cap going off.

Now, if you shoot them at your wife, yeah, it'll be divorce-a-rama soon.

dc.fireman
April 23, 2010, 12:01 AM
I'm now wondering...

Having two kids under the age of 8, means I have a lot of old, paperless broken crayons laying around in the drawer... do you suppose these could be melted down and made into a wax bullet?

roo_ster
April 23, 2010, 09:07 PM
I am kind of persnickety about what get forced down my weapons' bores at velocity. The possibility of sand or grit seem too great to risk, IMO.

If you enjoyed reading about "Wax Bullets" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!