Glock 30 vs Sprinfield Armory XD in 45acp

PDA

for_hire
May 20, 2008, 11:56 AM
I have been searching to find the best 45 to carry. I have had alot of handguns in different caliber but I honestly beleive that 45 is the way to go in a combat/self defence situation.

My only standards are this.

1. Must be simple
2. Must go bang 99.9-100.00% of the time

through alot of research and alot of thinking i have come down to this 2 firearms

The Glock 30
The Springfield XD

now its your turn to try to sell me on either of the particular firearms.

If you enjoyed reading about "Glock 30 vs Sprinfield Armory XD in 45acp" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Eightball
May 20, 2008, 12:52 PM
The XD fits my hand and has a decent trigger for a plastic gun, which is better than I can say for the Glocks. YMMV, but if I had to pick a .45 plastic pistol, it'd be an XD or nothing.

NGIB
May 20, 2008, 12:59 PM
Neither. A Sig or 1911 would be my picks...

ScottyT
May 20, 2008, 01:02 PM
XD fits my hand a thousand times better than a Glock does.

Bottom line is that they are both great guns. You should try to hold/shoot both before making a decision! Go with the one that is more comfortable for you.

TurboJeff
May 20, 2008, 01:15 PM
I've never shot an XD, but I carry a G30 on a regular basis.

The G30 I have has never, not even once, had any type of failure. The only bad thing I've experienced is that one aftermarket Glock mag would stick in the mag well. Upon closer inspection, I noticed that mag was made a little differently than the other 4 I have. I took it out of circulation.

I am one of those who actually like the grip angle, etc. of the Glocks. The grip is wide, which is the most challenging part of concealing the glock. I mostly carry in an IWB, but I do sometimes carry in a comfortable OWB holster. Both configurations are pretty easy to conceal, and very comfortable.

NGIB mentioned a SIG 1911. Although you weren't asking about a 1911, I can highly recommend that platform for carry. Even a full size 1911 is easy to conceal. If I'm not carrying the Glock, I will be carrying my Para SSP 1911. It's thinner, and a little easier to conceal than the Glock. It is longer, but that is more of a comfort issue than a concealment issue, especially when carrying IWB.

Futuristic
May 20, 2008, 02:23 PM
I think both are excellent choices. I had a 30 (and a 21) for a while, but here is what made me change to the XD 45 Compact:

The XD 45 Compact is the same size, in virtually every dimension, as a Glock 19. This is slightly smaller than the Glock 30 in every respect except height. It is SUBSTANTIALLY THINNER than the Glock 30, and has a vastly shorter circumference around the grip at every point, from the bottom to the top. The reach to the trigger is actually shorter than on the Glock 19.

I found it hard to justify the extra size for the Glock 30, to carry the same (or 1 fewer) rounds in the same caliber. Also, the Glock 30 spare mags are slightly larger and more difficult to carry than the XD 45 Compact spare mags. (Slightly.)

I also took both of my XD 45 Compacts to a Defensive Handgun Class last year where I put 980 rounds through one of them (I never needed the other...) in 2 days without a single unscripted hickup. (We induced plenty of malfunctions on purpose and every one of them cleared quickly and easily as expected.)

After that, I don't hesitate to carry the XD 45 Compact with confidence. Load it up with CorBon DPX 45 and feel well armed.

FYI, I don't see any reason in the world to get the full size XD 45 when the Compact is available. If you want the full length grip and greater magazine capacity, you just throw in one of the full length mags, same as using a Glock 21 Mag in a Glock 30. They even make (and include one when you buy it) the Mag Spacers to make the full length mag feel like a full length grip. Worked great in class.

Futuristic

for_hire
May 20, 2008, 03:57 PM
I own a 1911 thats why it wasnt mentioned. I love my 1911 and this purchase is sort of a back up to that. thanks keep it coming..

nraeaglescout
May 20, 2008, 04:37 PM
I have shot both the xd and the glock. It comes down to personal preference on the issue. They are both great guns. I love the xd, fits my hand great. Try finding a local range that will rent guns. Since both are very popular you'll probably find them there. Check out Smith and Wessons M&P too. Seems to me that as long as you steer clear of hi-points and crap like that you'll get a great gun. It comes down to what fits you best.

chauncey
May 20, 2008, 09:13 PM
I own and shoot both. I carry my G30 b/c my XD45 is a full size. don't buy the hype concerning these two, the advantages/disadvantages for the two aren't significant enough to discuss.

pick the one you can shoot easier; in my experience most new shooters I've introduced to these pistols shoot the XD a lot easier; the G30 in particular among Glocks seems to take more practice.

when looking at the G30, look at both the standard and slimframe.

buy a full size mag for either choice, sleeve it and carry it as your second mag.

imo, both are great guns.

Geno
May 20, 2008, 09:29 PM
XD is a nice pistol. I have a 21-SF. It's a nice pistol. My next purchase is the G30-SF.

possum
May 21, 2008, 12:16 AM
i am a huge fan of xd's, and i like glocks, but i like glocks in 9mm that is where they do there best work, i say go with the xd. if it was between the xd sc 9mm and a g26 then it would be neck and neck and even but here i am gonna recomend the xd.

Picknlittle
May 21, 2008, 12:57 AM
I just had to make that decision and came home with the Glock 30sf. My first two mags convinced me I'd made the right decision for me. It shoots like a 9mm,...a very smooth 9mm. Precious little recoil, and the balance (in my hands) returns dead on target IMMEDIATELY during rapid fire sequences. I'm very impressed.

As for the feel, I have large hands. I felt a little cramped and figured I'd need mag extensions on the XD compact. The sub-compact was completely out of the question. On the Glock 30, my pinky wraps perfectly into the relief formed by the mag to grip joint. I can't imagine a more comfortable fit for me. This impression come after shooting.

As for carry, I got a small leather Don Hume high ride belt holster that holds the gun tight to my body comfortably, just between my hip pocket and front pocket opening. In a half hour or so, I forget it's even there.

Of course, different hands, different grips, different hips,.....all I can say is that I'm very happy with the 30 SF.

Mac Attack
May 21, 2008, 12:58 AM
I don't have a XD but I have handled quite a few and do own a G30. My vote is for a G30 because there are more holster options, spare mags are readily available at most gun stores and you can use G21 mags for when you really need to put some extra holes in something.

I have owned my G30 since thye came out and quite a lot of rounds through it. I have only had 2 failures and that was with an early batch of wolf ammo.

Big Boomer
May 21, 2008, 01:22 AM
You simply MUST get the XD, love it! But I would like to have the one with the manual safety. There when i want it not when I don't.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l84/forestpriest/DailyCarryInsane-1.jpg

DevilDog0402
May 21, 2008, 10:01 AM
I voted XD because I have one and love it, but the Glock 30 is a very good choice. If I was looking for a .45 for CCW, I would be hard pressed to find a better option than the Glock 30.

Ala Dan
May 21, 2008, 11:08 AM
Like sooooo many others, I recommend the Springfield Armory XD~! :cool: :D

Khornet
May 21, 2008, 12:55 PM
I find the XD won't stay in place in my hand, but squirms around when firing. The glock just doesn't move. My hands aren't particularly big, either. And I find the Glock trigger is more to my taste than the XD.

XDKingslayer
May 21, 2008, 02:30 PM
I prefer the XD over the Glock but I wouldn't consider either one as the "best" for CCW. There are numerous other 9mm out there that are light years better than both for CCW.

Lobotomy Boy
May 21, 2008, 04:22 PM
I have a 21 and a 36, and my wife has a 30. We had a relative living with us for five months after he returned from Iraq, and he had an XD45. I prefered the XD45 to my 21, but even so, I'd recommend a 30 or 36 for a carry gun because the XD45 Compact is just too blocky for CCW duty. Springfield just doesn't make an XD that is directly comparable to the 30 or 36.

For what its worth, my wife, who has much smaller hands than I do, prefers the 21 to the XD45.

Travis McGee
May 21, 2008, 11:02 PM
Both are good choices, but since GLock decided they were "perfect" long ago, they can't put on important improvements. ("How can we improve perfection?")

For me, a loaded and a cocked indicator are "musts" after owning XDs. To be able to see and feel the gun's status at any time, even in the dark, is now a deal-breaker for me and Gaston.

10-Ring
May 21, 2008, 11:37 PM
I prefer Glock over the XD. Somehow Glock has set the bar and is always considered in a polygun purchase -- also, there are alot more accessories available and for me, just alot more consistent

GunNut
May 22, 2008, 12:59 AM
Glock for me, you've got to decide for yourself.

What works for me might not work for you.

guntotinguy
May 22, 2008, 02:49 AM
Like em both,but I prefer the XD-45 over the Glock 30.Its really up to the shooter though...

DHart
May 22, 2008, 04:17 AM
Glock 30 wins my vote, but I would have and confidently carry an XD Compact in .45.

The Glock 30 amazes me with it's reliability, accuracy, and soft shooting. I'm thrilled with the low bore axis and stone-solid capability of the G30.

The G30 has a STELLAR reputation for utmost reliability AND extremely fine accuracy.

Karate
May 22, 2008, 07:49 AM
+1 for What Dhart said.

Picknlittle
May 22, 2008, 08:07 AM
Aside from the sheer simplicity of the Glock another consideration is mag prices. I like to keep one set loaded with carry ammo, and have a couple or three additional for practice rounds. Glock mags are much cheaper than most others, though I'm not sure of springfield cost.

Semp
May 22, 2008, 12:42 PM
I have both. A XD45 service and a Glock 30 SF. I like the Glock better. It is much easier to conceal and is more accurate.

I've had several Glocks since the early 80's and never, not even once, had a failure to go bang when the trigger was pulled.

Northalius
May 22, 2008, 06:15 PM
He said simple as #1, and that'd be Glock. Glock is known for its simplicity, and thus less chance of things screwing up... thus also filling in your #2 requirement. :D

BTW: If you don't like the G30 grip, then try the Glock 30SF model. SF stands for "Short Frame" which is "shorter" than the regular models lengthwise, from front to back. You'll feel and see the grip is easier to handle on the SF model. Check it out! It's new, so might be a little hard to find, but keep trying, and eventually you'll get it. :)

BTW again: Glocks have way more aftermarket replacement and enhancement parts, as compared to XD. Oh, you can also do (or get from other companies) a grip reduction on your Glock, if it annoys you that much.

I'd definitely go Glock if I were you. :)

pgeleven
May 22, 2008, 06:17 PM
ive shot well over 7,000 rounds through my glock 30 and it has only failed to fire once, i personally blame the ammo...

DHart
May 22, 2008, 07:12 PM
One last point about Glock... aftermarket sources for parts and modifications are HUGE, and it's so easy to do much of your own work on a Glock... unlike the XD, which, I believe, Springfield will NOT sell parts for... you must send your gun to them for mods/repairs.

SAG0282
May 22, 2008, 07:26 PM
Of those I definitely prefer the XD.

Moccw
May 22, 2008, 09:19 PM
I have both the xd 45 and glock 30, I would rather shoot my xd anyday, than the 30.. Xd's are very nice.

Dan Crocker
February 15, 2009, 01:03 PM
Oddly enough, the Glock does have both a cocked indicator and a loaded chamber indicator. When cocked, the trigger is set in the forward position. When a round is chambered, the extractor sticks out. I own a Glock 19 and a Springfield XD 45 compact, and I do love them both. In a .45, I think the XD is the way to go (for me) because the Glock has a larger grip. In a compact 9mm, I think the dimensions of the 19 are pretty perfect. I also agree with the previous post on here stating that the two guns are so similar that comparing them is generally a moot point. You can't go wrong with either one, or with any quality firearm that fits your tastes.

If you enjoyed reading about "Glock 30 vs Sprinfield Armory XD in 45acp" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!