A new colt for the stable

PDA

capttom
May 20, 2008, 07:27 PM
I went to the big Houston show at Reliant Arena Sunday with the goal of buying a pistol. I had set myself two possible targets, a summer carry piece or a "classic." Texas Gulf Coast heat and humidity had me decided on a single stack nine, like a Smith 908. For a classic, I was searching for a Colt .22. Looking over my finances, I figured I could get a pretty nice Huntsman or Challenger. If I didn't find one at the show, I knew Collector's Firearms had a couple under $450. A Woodsman would have been great but I didn't think my finances would allow that. Imasgine my surprise when I found two pre-war Woodsmen at the $500 mark. One had the long barrel and the early mainspring housing for standard speed ammo. The other was the sport model built for high speed fodder. Talk about a dilemma. The older gun was in better shape, but I was more interested in a shooter. Talking it over with my walking around buddies and $460 later, I was headed out into the heat with the Sport. A spare magazine ran me another $30. Talk about pleased!

The nice people from Lufkin who sold me the gun said it had lain around under a bed unfired for years. I could believe it. I scrubbed it out, hit it with steel wool, oiled it, and did some plnking. It's been years since I'd had a Woodsman. It was more fun than I'd remembered. The thin short grip is perfect, the sights dead on, the trigger crisp.

Proofhouse.com says it's a '34 vintage. Bob Rayburn's excellent colt .22 site says 1933. Either way, grandpa might have given this Colt to my dad as a first gun and I can't say he didn't. By the time my niece's son is old enough for his first self-loader, who knows? The pistol will be pushing 90 and still going strong, I trust.

Here are some pix and one with it's grandson. (OK, I know the Target Model is closer in lineage to a High Standard, but the barrel says Colt.)

If you enjoyed reading about "A new colt for the stable" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
If you enjoyed reading about "A new colt for the stable" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!