Thread Necromancy

PDA

Hawk
May 21, 2008, 11:10 AM
Just out of idle curiosity, is the forum software appending 'OLD THREAD' to resuscitated threads as example:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=36099

It appears it was brought back to life by someone other than the OP and I thought only the OP or a mod could modify the thread title?

Cool, whatever it is.

If you enjoyed reading about "Thread Necromancy" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mal H
May 21, 2008, 12:01 PM
The title was edited by a moderator. The OP can edit a title for only 4 hours after submitting a thread.

Old Fuff
May 21, 2008, 12:44 PM
Which brings up another question: Which is best? Resurrect the old thread, or start a new one with a link to the original one? Or maybe no link at all?

Mal H
May 21, 2008, 01:05 PM
It totally depends on what is being added to the thread. In the above linked thread, I think the resurrection is ok since the new post fully fits in with a specialized topic, but a new thread could have been just as easily created with no loss of meaning or context. (You'll notice that it is almost always brand new members who resurrect old threads.)

It's the threads that get reanimated for no good reason that bug the ... out of me. For example, someone brings up an old, old thread talking about Remington 700's and adds a post asking about the date of manufacture of his 700 - absolutely no relation to the old conversation at all other than it being a 700.

In general a new thread is in order instead of bringing back an old one. A link to the old thread can be added if the info in it is pertinent to the new one.

Hawk
May 21, 2008, 04:05 PM
Which brings up another question: Which is best? Resurrect the old thread, or start a new one with a link to the original one? Or maybe no link at all?
Most of my necromantic efforts immediately followed being chewed out as a noob for not using the search function. Makes me more tolerant of repetition in my old age - I even managed to remain silent in the face of what I think was three "Mossberg vs Remington" threads in two weeks. [Pats self on back].

Nevertheless, the 'OLD THREAD' warning is appreciated. It seems most of the undead threads had some portion that was contentious and someone can almost always be relied upon to start arguing with someone who hasn't posted since 2004. It was funny the first couple of times ... oh, who am I kidding? It's still funny. Kinda. A little bit.

A big old hairy notice in the title should bring that to a near total and abrupt halt.

...just noticed that, as of this writing, two of the top three threads in "Shotguns" were started in years other than 2008 - an FN review from '05 and a short bbl trap thread from '07. We must be in a necromantic season of sorts.

Mal H
May 21, 2008, 05:17 PM
Ah! Spring!

When a young scribe's mind turns to thoughts of necromancy!

McCall911
May 21, 2008, 06:07 PM
I admit that I've been guilty of enthusiastically participating in at least one Thread of the Undead myself.

:o

:D

Mal H
May 21, 2008, 06:33 PM
Want a good example of necromancy at it's worst?

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=63525

BamBam-31
May 21, 2008, 06:45 PM
:p I thought you were still fairly polite to the guy. :D

McCall911
May 22, 2008, 07:13 AM
Want a good example of necromancy at it's worst?

I don't know if I feel better or worse. I think the thread that I responded to was at least that old.

:o

:D

Oh, well...My intentions were good. (But you know what they say about good intentions. :uhoh: )

Hawk
May 22, 2008, 12:41 PM
I'm betting it's less a matter of age than of relevance to the new post.

The example in the "handguns for sale" section was a Perfect Storm of prohibited content, provocative, useless and gave zombie-life to a "for sale" listing where the seller hasn't been around for 2 years.

Most of the zombie threads recently in "Shotguns" are along the lines of "I have a similar issue to the above" or "anything new since this was last active" which, if benign necromancy exists, these are probably examples.

Still, one wonders if VBB couldn't be tweaked to append an "OLD THREAD" advisory to the title without needing to involve a moderator. Another forum I visit occasionally runs vbb and there's a "warning message" when replying to old threads but I doubt that would slow some of our more determined necromancers.

If you enjoyed reading about "Thread Necromancy" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!