Does anyone remember the Schultz & Larsen Rifles

PDA

Cougfan2
May 21, 2008, 07:33 PM
Not sure what made me think about it, but a picture of some old Schultz & Larsen rifles popped into my head. The first time I saw them was back in the 70's. I seem to remember they had some gorgeous stocks with fancy inlays. I have heard they are still in business but I'm not sure who distributes them in the US. I think they were made in Sweden.

If you enjoyed reading about "Does anyone remember the Schultz & Larsen Rifles" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bannockburn
May 21, 2008, 09:59 PM
Cougfan

I believe the Schultz and Larsen Company was located in Denmark, not Sweden. The company goes back to the early 1900's when they made primarily .22 target rifles. In 1954, they made their first centerfire bolt action rifle, the Model 54J, chambered for an unusual round, the 7x61 Sharpe and Hart. They also used this action for more mainstream cartridges, like the .244 Remington, .270 Winchester, the 30.06, and the 6.5x55. Later rifles included the Model 60, Model 65, Model 68DL, a rifle designed and styled more for the U.S. market, and the M56A Super Magnum. Before Weatherby had their own Mark V action, they used the Schultz and Larsen M56A for their .378 Magnum cartridge.

ClarkEMyers
May 21, 2008, 10:45 PM
Lovely rifles, Tom Hayes wrote a lot about them - favorably. Very smooth operating but mostly rear locking and said that cases stretched.

Cougfan2
May 22, 2008, 11:43 AM
Interesting. I was poking around on the internet last night and came across a web site for a disti that appears to sell them in the US, but none of the links to specific product info worked. It appears they make a take-down bolt gun too.

ronwill
May 22, 2008, 11:54 AM
The Schultz and Larsen home page doesn't list any distributors in the U.S., but gunsinternational.com has some listed.

http://www.schultzlarsen.com/

http://www.gunsinternational.com/detail.cfm?id=100032733&string=cid=343

30 Newton
December 12, 2008, 03:16 PM
Sorry for the delayed response but I have just found this site and signed up. Schultz & Larsen has been around since 1889 but has not really been
distributed in the U.S. for some years. Contrary to popular opinion, in the U.S. at least, the company has not gone out of business. The remaining Larsen's that owned it sold it a few years ago. The new owners have moved it from Otterup, Denmark to another Danish location and have revitalized much of the old machinery, particularly the rifling machinery with which Schultz & Larsen made their highly regarded barrels. Their English diastributor is happy to assist buyers in the U.S. working through U.S. FFL holders. The current Model 97 retials for about $3700 US, which is a good part of why you don't see them here much these days.

Should anyone have any questions about them I'd be glad to help to the best of my ability. I've been shooting them for forty-five years and can add that this nonsense about the rear locking lugs allowing the brass to stretch is simply that, nonsense.

30 Newton

Float Pilot
December 12, 2008, 09:04 PM
Used to have one chambered for 7mm Sharp and Hart. That was a real screamer. But for some reason it had a slow twist barrel. As a result it only shot 140 grain bullets or lighter with any accuracy.
Talk about nice rifles.

holdinsteady
December 22, 2008, 12:09 AM
I have a Schulz and Larson sporting rifle in 270Win. that was given to me by my father-in-law. He picked it up in Europe in the early 1960's. The rifle has less than 20 rounds through it. On the left side of the reciever is stamped M60. The rifle is like new....any idea of it's current value???

dirtyjim
December 22, 2008, 08:58 PM
i wouldn't own a schultz and larsen simply because the guy who owns them now is an arrogant know it all prick who thinks every rifle but his is junk & has no problem rudely telling every one about it. he occasionally post in the accurate reloading forums.
he has no intentions of selling his rifles in the us & anyone who has had more than one conversation with him wouldn't buy one.

Gordon
December 22, 2008, 09:14 PM
I have a Weatherby M56A .378 Waaaay back in the safe. Will take picture during spring oiling.

burrfish
January 5, 2009, 07:42 PM
I recently purchased a Schultz&Larsen "Classic" rifle in 6.5 when in Denmark. Had a hell of a time importing it but finally received it and installed a Leopold 3.5x10 scope.
Does anyone have any comments on this rifle and the value.

dane1
April 26, 2009, 07:24 AM
It has recently been selected as the worlds most precise standard riffle in Rod & Riffle Magazine.

Have a SL 6,5x55 M97 myself. Have shoot roedeer, fallow, reddeer and boars with a 155 gr cartridge. Fox and like size with a 140 gr.
Especially with the 140 gr. and a projectile with a good BC you have a fine straight shoot out to 200 yards.

jim in Anchorage
April 26, 2009, 08:13 AM
It has recently been selected as the worlds most precise standard riffle in Rod & Riffle Magazine
By whom? The company CEO? The 7x 61 S&H is a freak[Phil Sharps baby-he thought it would be the next .270 Win.] it is based on a Experimental French military round that is impossible to make out of other brass,and does nothing a 7mm Rem can't

chuckusaret
April 26, 2009, 12:20 PM
I was a member of a Rod and Gun in Germany that had gun racks full of the target 22's. The things were awsome to shoot.

NCsmitty
April 26, 2009, 01:17 PM
The 7x61 Sharpe & Hart was indeed a hot number back in the day, and the S&L rifles were near high end quality. As mentioned, the original twist of the barrel was 1in12 and limited bullet choice to 140's and under.
Norma still makes the ammo.
Here's a link to the case dimensions.

http://ammoguide.com/?catid=442

NCsmitty

loadedround
April 26, 2009, 01:42 PM
This post has brought back memories. Many years ago when I was just getting into rifle shooting, I fell in love with the S&L rifles pictured in the old Stoeger Catalog. Especially wanted one in the 7mm S&H loading. Never bought one simply because I could not afford it then. About two years ago a gentleman had one for sale at my gun club. Was asking a reasonable price for it also. Was very tempted, but when I looked into purchasing dies and cases, I found out this caliber was just about obsolete. End of interest. :)

t165
April 26, 2009, 10:41 PM
They still turn up on internet auction sites. Gunbroker.com has a real nice one listed right now. Rifleshooter magazine's current May/June edition has a nice write up on thes rifles titled "A great Dane".

dane1
May 12, 2009, 10:37 AM
Link to article in Rod & Rifle about S&L:

http://www.schultzlarsen.com/RodandRifletestSandLM97DL.pdf

DrMark_VA
June 12, 2009, 03:54 PM
I have a Schultz and Larsen Model 54J in 7x61 Sharpe and Hart.

:)

krs
June 12, 2009, 05:21 PM
There are several rifles in GunBroker right now, a couple .22's, a 6.5x55, some others and a few stocks, some parts. Not too uncommon from the look of it.

nodak12
December 10, 2009, 06:02 PM
I had several S&L rifles in 358 Norma, 308 Norma, 270, 7mm mag, 7mm Sharpe and Hart and 6.5x55. All were great andNEVER had any problem with headspace or case stretching

drjerdc
February 18, 2010, 11:41 PM
I recently inherited a beautiful M65 Schultz and Larsen from my grandfather. 358 Norma Mag. The problem I have is that the safety arm/lever was broken and is missing. Does anyine know where to find the part? Or I would be willing to have one made if i had a template to go by. My local gunsmiths have been unable to help. Any info would be greatly appreciated as this rifle is very sentimental. Thanks.

Offfhand
February 19, 2010, 04:58 PM
I've owned three of them. Back in the 1960's when I was big into international shooting I had their .22 RF free rifle and also a centerfire free rifle in 6.5x55. The rimfire was stolen and never recovered. Later I had a 7x61 S&H hunting rifle, that was quite nice. the 7x61 was lanched with great fanfare but soon soon got bad publicity because the published ballistics were rather optomistic and achieved only with extreme pressures. so that pretty well killed it. The rear locking lugs are claimed to cause case stretching but that was based on rumor, I saw no evidence of that with either of my centerfires and I loaded for them a lot. I'd buy another free style Schultz if I found one, just for the memories, but there were never many of them in the US. A couple of my team mates had them too but those and mine were the only ones I ever saw.

C-grunt
February 19, 2010, 05:51 PM
This zombie keeps rising!!!!!

Nice looking rifles though.

M67
February 19, 2010, 09:00 PM
This zombie keeps rising!!!!!Yes. But this time someone actually searched for information, and then asked a question in an appropriate thread, even if it was a zombie-thread.

Welcome to THR, drjerdc!

I don't know if it helps, but the company is still going strong. You could try to e-mail them. If they still have old parts in stock, it shouldn't be a problem to ship it from Denmark - if you can legally import it. Try info@schultzlarsen.com

Which of course means that their web page is at http://www.schultzlarsen.com

dirtyjim
February 20, 2010, 12:45 PM
drjerdc, good luck on getting the part from s&l even if they have it. they do not sell rifles or parts to americans.
jorgen, the owner of s&L doesn't like americans so you will have to use a go between to get the part.
he occasionally posts in the gunsmithing section of the accurate reloading forums so you can go there and ask him yourself.

burrfish
April 4, 2010, 10:37 PM
This is the best rifle in my collection. Mine is a left hand version with a Leopold 3x9 scope. Can anyone tell me at what serial number starting with 20 does the firing pin have to be upgraded to the new style. I'm confused about this issue and can't seem to get an answer from the factory.

monsted
June 11, 2010, 12:04 PM
S&L is still alive and kicking. I received my license yesterday and immediately picked up my S&L Classic DL 6.5x55.

http://rootweiler.dk/huntard.jpg

If drjerdc still needs a piece for his rifle, i'd be happy to try to get a hold of it. The factory is about an hours drive from here and i bought my rifle from the father of the owner.

DrMark_VA
June 11, 2010, 09:54 PM
Cool first post, monsted.

Welcome.

monsted
June 15, 2010, 07:10 AM
I just checked his profile and it doesn't look like he's ever been back after registering and posting that one reply. I doubt I'll hear anything.

That rifle is an awesome piece of work, though. I'm a newbie with real rifles (I shot some .22 on 50 yards when I was a kid) but I'm placing shots in two-inch groups at 100 yards with a 3-9x40 Leupold scope. The parts fit together superbly too, nothing moves that isn't supposed to and even the bolt fits so nicely that it doesn't even budge when opened and you shake the rifle (I tried that with a Tikka and it rattled). It also comes with epoxy bedding in the stock, which seems fairly rare from what I've read.

monsted
July 29, 2010, 07:05 PM
I just returned from a visit at the factory and saw how the stuff is made. Quite a lot of fun, and much more mechanized than i thought. Everything is made on CNC machines, except for drilling and rifling of the barrel, which uses pre-WW1 machines and still gets much better results than fancy new stuff. They even machine every single screw they use, saying that they had spare capacity on the machines and they might as well use it for something.

I got the full story about why Americans are unable to purchase anything: Their manufacturer's insurance specifically doesn't cover North America and would cost 10x as much to get it. They would need to sell a lot of rifles to make up for the huge increase in cost. The reason he's a bit of an ass about it is mostly because he's answered the same question countless times.

burrfish, your firing pin needs to be replaced if the collar just behind the tip of the pin is round. The new version has a slightly smaller collar with two flat sides - this was specifically done to make it easy to identify the rifles with a problem. It should apply to most M97 and the earliest Classic's. He did say that it isn't really much of a worry, but better safe than sorry - firing pins aren't exactly an expensive item to make. One user had the pin break at the worst time, just as he ran the bolt into place, but before locking the handle. He had the bolt fly back and broke his thumb. The only other incident resulted in an unwanted discharge of a round.

DrMark_VA
July 29, 2010, 07:08 PM
Very cool update... much appreciated!

dirtyjim
July 30, 2010, 10:33 PM
The reason he's a bit of an ass about it is mostly because he's answered the same question countless times.

he postes by the name jargen, not jorgen.

he is an ass on any subject you talk to him about, not just why he claims he won't sell to americans. the excuse be gave you is flat out b.s., he does not sell to americans because he hates americans.

if you talked to him face to face i'm sure he told you how fast he can crank out rifles on is cnc's. if he is even a quarter as fast at building rifle as he claims to be he could have 20,000 rifles on a ship sailing to america by the end of the week.

loadedround
July 31, 2010, 08:41 AM
These posts brought back some fond old memories about the Schultz & Larsen rifles. Back in the mid 60's, after all the hype on these rifles and the 7X61 S&H cartridge, I wanted one badly. My gun dealer at the time couldn't locate one for me after several months trying. I gave up and bought a new Remington 700BDL in that new fangeled 7mm Rem Mag cartridge and never looked back. BTW I still have that old 700. :)

monsted
July 31, 2010, 11:08 AM
I wonder if I could buy rifles from him and sell them to the yanks at a 50% premium... Anyone want a S&L Classic DL for $3000? ;)

dirtyjim
July 31, 2010, 12:19 PM
monsted, i don't think you would have a problem getting $3000 in the u.s.
he does make a very nice rifle and runs his machines & workers to their fullest potential. my problem has always been with his attitude towards americans, there is no way i would buy anything from him but i'm sure there are a lot of others out there who would love to have one of his rifles.

i actually think you could do very good supplying spare parts because there is no source of them in the u.s.. spare parts is the most common question i see regarding s&l rifles

johnstonvill06
November 16, 2011, 02:55 AM
Im from the US and i recently purchased a Shultz N Larsen 7mm Rem Mag. I am curious what the value is of this it has a Leupold 3x9 Veri-x II scope on it also. Just trying to see if i got a good deal or no.

DrMark_VA
November 16, 2011, 08:13 AM
That's kind of hard to say Johnstonvill06, without model number, condition, and so on.

If you are able to post pictures, that would be great.

Jim Watson
November 16, 2011, 11:49 AM
Just curious, what will you do if we say you paid too much?

dataDyne
November 16, 2011, 11:35 PM
I recently got a S&L TMD 35
It's amazing

johnstonvill06
November 18, 2011, 05:12 PM
I will post pictures today paid 500 for the gun scope and case. If i paid too much ill just have to take the hit and learn from my mistake.

Wolfen
November 20, 2011, 07:48 PM
Can anyone possibly give me a value of my S&L Rifle?
It is stamped SYSTEM SCHULTZ & LARSEN MD.38 but I can't find any reference to MD 38 in 22LR. All MD 38's I have found ore in Centerfire calibers and the Actions are different.

ACTION -

The Action is 5.430" long, 1.340" in diameter with 0.335" wall and is marked SYSTEM SCHULTZ & LARSEN MD.38.
The Bolt Bore is 0.670" in Diameter.
The Ejection Port is on Centerline on right side and 0.270" above Centerline on the left with an opening of .573" in length.
There is a relief cut at the left rear of the ejection port that houses the exterior 0.575"L x 0.280"H x 0.200" Bolt Release Lever.
The S/N is stamped and centered on the front Ring.
There is a 2.144" L x 0.303"W x 0.165"D Longitudinal Sight Relief cut on the left rear.
There is a 0.365" rear mount screw access hole 0.158" from rear of receiver.

Bolt -

The Bolt is 4.358" long, 0.668" in Diameter and has a Right Hand Extractor with the S/N stamped on the underside of the handle.

BARREL -

The Barrel is 28 1/2" long
The Bore is Bright & Shinny with sharp rifling.
The Barrel is 0.855" at the muzzle and 1" at the breach and is marked GEVAERFABRIKEN OTTERUP DANMARK with the S/N - numbers only - on the left rear of the barrel 0.330" from the receiver.
The 1.365" L x 0.612" W x 0.052" H Front Sight Base is Machined into the Barrel with a 0.520" Dovetail
The front of the Front Sight Base it 0.503" from the Muzzle.
The Post Sight Insert is held in place by a single screw.

TRIGGER -

S&L Adjustable dual set. The Assembly is all Steel.
The S/N is stamped on the Trigger Housing, Guard, Trigger and two lower levers

Stock -

The Stock appears to be made of rather straight grained Walnut and of Free Rifle design with a Steel - not our usual Aluminum - Hooked Butt Plate and Forearm Track.
The Stock has a not to Hand Friendly Thumbhole and a flowing Cheekpiece.
The Forearm is Checkered.
The Stock has Front and Rear 1 1/2" Sling Swivels with the Front being Adjustable within the Forearm Chanel.
The Palm rest is of a Not Seen Before - by me - form. It is 10 1/2" L x 2 1/2 " W - at widest Point - for 4" and then tapers to 3/4" after 6" . Bottom is Checkered.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Wolfen

If you enjoyed reading about "Does anyone remember the Schultz & Larsen Rifles" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!