Springfield 1911 basic upgrades...

PDA

brockgl
May 21, 2008, 08:43 PM
I recently bought a Springfield Mil-Spec 1911A1 in stainless. It is gorgeous!! I have already put about 300 rounds through it, and I am going to put about 200 more through it tomorrow. It shoots flawlessly! The only problem I have is that it puts a small pinch in the front of the case about 1 out of every 25 rounds fired. I am a reloader, so I am not sure if this is going to make those cases useless or not. Also, it shoots slightly to the left. So, I have to aim slightly right to hit the bullseye every time. But when I do it can put 25 shots through the same hole at 7 yards easily! First, is this case pinching normal, and should I even worry about it? Second, is it possible on the Mil-Spec model to adjust the rear sight slightly so as to make it hit spot on instead of slightly to the left?

These things lead me to my main question: I bought a 1911 because I LOVE the design. I bought the Mil-Spec model because I love the "pure" look of the 1911 frame (though I did get it in stainless and not parkerized so it would have a bit more bling), but...I wanted some of the functional upgrades that the GI model doesn't have. I am looking to do some basic modifications to this gun to make it a better shooter, but I never plan on going hog wild on upgrades that would change the appearance and basic functionality of the standard 1911. I have heard others recommend changing the barrel bushing to a precision one to help accuracy. These are the kind of upgrades I am looking for. What other basic changes could I make that don't require a gunsmith to accomplish and will help this gun's overall performance?

Here are pictures of my gun as well as a pinched case --->

http://www.brockglaze.net/images/mil_spec.jpg

http://www.brockglaze.net/images/pinch.jpg

Thanks so much in advance!

If you enjoyed reading about "Springfield 1911 basic upgrades..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jmr40
May 21, 2008, 09:04 PM
If mine I would use skateboard tape on the frontstrap to get some grip there. Have done this to all my 1911's that were not checkered and think it looks good. That is the only thing mandatory in my book. For me I would change to a flat mainspring housing and a longer trigger but may not be necessary for all shooters.

DFW1911
May 21, 2008, 09:11 PM
Since it's a straight shooter you may want to try different grip styles, especially if you don't have the front strap checkered.

Also, before you try and adjust any sights have someone else shoot it to verify it really is shooting to the left - it may be how you're holding and lining up your shot.

It's a gorgeous gun. I agree with you in that I wouldn't do anything too wild to it.

Have fun and enjoy!

Take care,
DFW1911

Tom Fury
May 22, 2008, 04:24 AM
Drop in a Colt barrel with the bushing upgrade you mentioned (suggest Ed Brown).

Wilson Combat mags.

Cheers, TF

Tom Fury
May 22, 2008, 04:25 AM
Esmeralda grips.
Cheers, TF

If you enjoyed reading about "Springfield 1911 basic upgrades..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!