Looking for a polymer .45

PDA

10mm Mike
May 22, 2008, 01:00 AM
I'm in the market for a new polymer .45 ACP.

Originally I wanted a Taurus 24/7 OSS, but I'm starting to wonder if those things will ever come out. Then I decided on an FNP-45 USG. Unfortunately, I cant find those anywhere either. :banghead:

So I have 5 different guns I'd like you guys to help me choose from. Feel free to list pro's, con's, reviews, and any experience you may have had with these, or even a completely biased opinion - as long as you can give a good reason why. Obviously some of them arent out yet, but *should* be out soon, so I can wait a little bit if I have to.

1. Taurus 24/7 OSS w/night sights
2. Smith & Wesson M&P 45 w/night sights
3. FN USA FNP-45 USG w/night sights
4. Beretta PX4 Storm SD w/night sights
5. Taurus PT 845 (w/night sights if available)

A few loose guide lines:
1. I'm using my stimulus package for this purchase, so the least amount of money I have to spend out of pocket in addition to the stimulus package the better.
2. I LOVE stainless steel with a black finish, so big bonus points for that, but not required.
3. Striker fired is just fine, but I generally prefer the hammer
4. I like the flexibility of having interchangeable backstraps, but its not required
5. I already have a Glock (and LOVE IT! :D) but I'm not looking for one here
6. Please dont suggest a Springfield XD. I'm sure they are fine guns but they make me want to puke every time I see one :barf:

I tried to make a poll, but its the first time I've done this so I dont know if I did it right.

If you enjoyed reading about "Looking for a polymer .45" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hexidismal
May 22, 2008, 01:39 AM
I hate to confuse your options further.. but I have to answer Other. I've fired my share of a variety of polymer guns, and I only still own one. I decided some time ago that I only wanted all metal guns in my collection, but I can't bring myself to lose the Ruger P345. I always had the secret wish that it wouldn't work as well as it does so that I could justify getting rid of it and being rid of polymer. Problem is, it works too darn well. It has less felt recoil than any other polymer .45 I've fired. It seems to shoot consistently more accurately, believe it or not, than my 5" Springfield 1911 from a rest. And it's taken a few thousand rounds without any hiccups. Some might not agree, but I happen to think it's a fairly attractive gun as well. Far more so than other Ruger offerings anyway. I don't have them, but since it seems a common option in your list, night sights are available for it from ruger.
Like I said, wish I could say it wasn't an amazing gun for the price, but quite frankly it is.

possum
May 22, 2008, 01:46 AM
the choices that you have are great ones. but i would also like to advise that you check out the riger p345, it is the least expensive gun that i have and it is the most accurate, it is such a sweet shooter.

usp9
May 22, 2008, 08:12 AM
Stainless and black, with nightsights, .45 caliber...how about a Kahr TP45?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v619/MikeEast/2007/tp4543.gif

romma
May 22, 2008, 08:31 AM
Kahr PM45

SAG0282
May 22, 2008, 08:40 AM
The XD you exempted is superior to all listed, in some cases by far.

Better to warm to the XD's looks so you can enjoy it's function.

Moonclip
May 22, 2008, 08:44 AM
I'd go HK but look in to the FN. My Ruger P97 is serviceable if uninspiring.

BryanP
May 22, 2008, 08:46 AM
Of the options you list I'd have to choose the S&W. But only if I had to exclude my XD45. :neener:

legion3
May 22, 2008, 08:52 AM
I voted Beretta but I would probably just get the Beretta 45 and not the SD version. And if its Beretta and a scheduled release date count on it not being available at that time. Remember the Px4 SC was at the Jan 07 shot show and is just now avaliable.

The Springfield XD would also be of interest because of capacity, looks aside.

passintime
May 22, 2008, 08:52 AM
The Ruger P345 fits all your criteria. I would not recommend a gun that "isn't out yet", as generally new productions have some bugs to get worked out. For $431 delivered from Bud's Gun Shop, you can't beat it. The grip on it, IMO, fits like a glove.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj256/SR9CCW/DSC01464.jpg

bakert
May 22, 2008, 09:06 AM
I'd go HK but look in to the FN. My Ruger P97 is serviceable if uninspiring.

I carry my uninspiring P97 most every day:)

10mm Mike
May 22, 2008, 08:06 PM
Thanks for the input guys. To be honest, I'm very surprised by so many recommendations for the Ruger. How is the trigger? I've heard varying reports about the trigger on them.

I'm alittle put off by Ruger and how they caved so quickly to the politicians years ago (even though I was too young to realize what was going on, or care, for that matter). I'm not real excited about giving my business to a company that thinks only bad guys need high cap magazines.

Politics aside though, I had thought about getting a P345 awhile back because of the price, but I ended up buying something else instead... I think it was when I got my Glock 20.

Also, I should clarify, when I said that I like stainless steel with a black finish, I meant I like blackened stainless steel. Though, I do like stainless steel with black grips as well, just not as much as blackened stainless steel.

ATAShooter
May 22, 2008, 08:14 PM
S&W, I guess.

I too am an XD fan.

Z-Michigan
May 22, 2008, 08:34 PM
For what's on your list, I'd get the M&P. Taurus would be my second choice. The FN looked great until I recently read a review (can't remember where) of an FNP-9 cracking and failing with little use and FN not being good about fixing it.

Ruger P345 is a good choice. I have the P89, P94 and P95 and am happy with all. P345 is slimmer and should have a better trigger. And I personally would be happy with an XD45 also.

Finally, what about the Israeli-made high capacity polymer 1911 that Charles Daly imports? Bul-transmark or something like that?

10mm Mike
May 22, 2008, 08:50 PM
I've never heard of an Israeli made polymer 1911 before. I'll have to look into that.

jocko
May 22, 2008, 09:23 PM
pm45, nothing smaller, nothing liter, nothing finer..

ARTiger
May 22, 2008, 09:28 PM
Another +1 for the Ruger P345. Trigger's just fine - it eats everything. 29 oz. and fairly slim + ergonomic. For $600 you could get the Ruger AND at least 500 rounds of ammo.

AndyC
May 22, 2008, 09:28 PM
Finally, what about the Israeli-made high capacity polymer 1911 that Charles Daly imports? Bul-transmark or something like that?
Bul M5

mio
May 22, 2008, 09:30 PM
hi point

Dr_2_B
May 22, 2008, 09:38 PM
I didn't vote because I have no experience with those pistols, but I almost voted for the M&P because I've heard good stuff about it.

My favorite 45's:
1. Glock 30 (carry it as often as anything else)
2. Taurus pt145 (carry it as often as anything else)
3. Glock 21 (not sure I've carried it more than about 5 times in 10 years of daly carry - but it feels good by my bedside)

... and I'm sure I'm forgetting one right now. Having major trouble with my Charles Daly 1911 and my Para Ordnance C6 Light Double Action but I'm hoping ot get them into working order one of these days.

Hope this adds something to your knowledge base.

orionengnr
May 22, 2008, 09:42 PM
Yet another vote for the Kahr P45 or PM45...

passintime
May 22, 2008, 10:16 PM
I understand your concerns about Ruger. However, this is not your grandfather's Ruger anymore. Entire company philosophy, outlook and approach is changing. I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how awesome Rugers are. If you are in the market for the P345, give me a PM and we can work something out.

rantingredneck
May 22, 2008, 10:19 PM
Yet another satisfied P345 user here. So satisfied that I own 2. :uhoh:

rantingredneck
May 22, 2008, 10:21 PM
As to the trigger.......

It's good enough that a rank amateur such as my self can do this at 25 yds freehanded on the first outing with it:

Sights were a little off at first:
http://www.rantingredneck.com/evolution/media/P345-25yds-1.JPG
Drifted them a bit and did this the next mag:
http://www.rantingredneck.com/evolution/media/P345-25yds-2.JPG

USMCDK
May 22, 2008, 10:51 PM
Well I would like to make a suggestion, but I would like a lil more detail as to what you are looking into other than the above specified...

Like price for instance... how much you looking to shell out???

What lbs trigger pull are you looking for??

Speaking of triggers, are you looking into SAO, DAO, DA/SA, or DAK (SIG only only from what I know, but could be wrong)???

I love the hell outta my HK USP 45 and my wife now wants a HK USP 9mm, but there are alot of people out there that would swear up and down that HK is a bad idea the trigger's to heavy the reset's to long, it's bulky and ugly (I disagree with the ugly part) they don't carry well, etc. etc..

I would really like if you could give me some more insight as to what you are looking for 10mm Mike.

BTW I like the look of some of the guns that are posted here. Also nice toes rantingredneck :barf:

IdahoLT1
May 22, 2008, 10:54 PM
Whats your intentions for the pistol? Concelaed carry? Target/plinking?

If its for CC, id also recommend a Kahr. I love my Kahr CW9. Im not sure how the 45s handle but id imagine just as good.

If not for CC, i would recommend a Beretta PX4. Ive heard alot of good things about them(im a Beretta forum member) and they come with 3 backstraps to fit the individual. Alot of people dog on Beretta's, but they make fine products.

rantingredneck
May 22, 2008, 11:13 PM
Also nice toes rantingredneck

Sorry, I was between pedicures :uhoh:

10mm Mike
May 23, 2008, 07:29 PM
Thanks for the interest guys!

To answer your questions:
- I guess if I had to set an upper bound for price, it would be $800-$850
- Trigger pull for single action 4-5 lbs. and for double action: ~8lbs
- I'd like a SAO or a SA/DA trigger
- I'd use this gun for Range Shooting/Home Defense/Take to the Deer Woods (maybe even pop a deer at close range)

If I ever get around to getting a conceal carry permit (I dont like the idea of paying for something I should have the God given right to do!), I'll probably get a Glock 29.

Gator
May 23, 2008, 08:17 PM
Other = Springfield XD

19-3Ben
May 23, 2008, 09:08 PM
I voted for the M&P, but really think the Ruger P345 is a winner that you ought to consider.

USMCDK
June 6, 2008, 04:51 PM
well 10mm you posted the right price range, so even though it's not in your list I would definetly suggest a H&K pistol of your choice. they make some really nice CC weapons, but there full sizes aren't that great for CC I know I have a USP45 full size, but I make it work.

As for the triggers, they do make some SRT's, if I recall correctly, and the tigger can easily be polished up to make it even smoother (less lbs of tension), once again I say this from personnal experience.

It's really all up to you my friend, but my suggestion stand respectfully

DevilDog0402
June 6, 2008, 05:40 PM
Other: XD45

jocko
June 6, 2008, 05:42 PM
karh pm45, if u want a range gun Smith M & P..

Blue Brick
June 6, 2008, 06:49 PM
Ruger P97

Dan-O
June 7, 2008, 01:34 AM
If you are going to concealed carry, I would have to say a Kahr PM45. But then again, I am spoiled.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w71/dantruesdale/100_2613.jpg

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w71/dantruesdale/100_2616.jpg

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w71/dantruesdale/100_2614.jpg

azhunter12
June 7, 2008, 03:08 AM
S&W M&P I was gonna buy one but they reduced the rebate so that held me back from getting one.

skinewmexico
June 7, 2008, 04:14 AM
Xd45

everallm
June 7, 2008, 08:38 AM
One range that hasn't been mentioned as yet is the EAA polymer.

http://www.eaacorp.com/handguns-witness-polymer-description.html

EAA or more correctly the Tanfoglio range of pistols are based on the CZ 75 platform and also provides conversion kits in .22LR, 9mm, .40SW and 10mm with MSRP $475 - $545

tblt
June 7, 2008, 08:46 AM
Get the xd m factor great gun. they now have a 40 with the m factor

devildog66
June 7, 2008, 08:48 AM
I'd say in concert with others that you left off the Springfield XD. Of course the now discontinued 1911 style Kimber Pro can be had a bargain basement prices. Not to mention that the Sig Sauer 250 is soon to be available in .45. Hopes that obfuscates the choice enough for ya.

Boris Barowski
June 7, 2008, 08:52 AM
I quite like the M&P personally.

of course there are choices not on your list, XD, Glock and USP come to mind. You don't want the first two, but I do recommend to the USP a try. It would be my first choice

Katana8869
June 7, 2008, 09:54 AM
Another completely satisfied Ruger P345 owner here:

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f201/katana8869/005small.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f201/katana8869/P345.jpg

GZOh
June 7, 2008, 11:40 AM
There are alot of real good .45s out there, especially the SIG P220 and HK USP, etc... ($$-budget is always important)... But if you want to stay with your list, the two guns that I've shot, and were impressed with were the M&P and FNP-45... but really impressed with the FNP... real good quality, great feel, super-light recoil for a .45, and a great shoot! Not much of a 'striker' fan so the SA/DA, hammer thing is important to me. At the end, it all gets down to YOU... which one fits right in YOUR hand, and which one is YOUR best shoot... And you'll know immediately!!

Eric F
June 7, 2008, 11:58 AM
you might want to look at eaa

SuperNaut
June 7, 2008, 05:44 PM
I have both the PX4 .45 and the XD .45. Since the XD .45 is off the table, I was forced to choose the PX4 .45 in the poll. But I've gotta tell ya, the XD .45 is simply a better gun. I've posted my misgivings about the PX4 a couple of times here on THR, so I won't do it again. But if you want to know, PM me.

10-Ring
June 8, 2008, 02:59 PM
Of the poly 45's I've shot, I've yet to shoot one that matches the all around performance of the USP 45

rellascout
June 8, 2008, 03:13 PM
Of the current Poly 45's the FNP-45 wins hands down in terms of value and function.

http://www.fnhusa.com/support/images/dynamic/m/FNM0062mb.png

The FNP-45 features traditional double-action/single-action (DA/SA) operation, a high-capacity polymer frame with interchangeable backstrap inserts, accessory rail and ambidextrous frame-mounted decocking levers and magazine release. The FNH-45's barrel is hammer-forged and the stainless steel slide has a matte finish. The FNP-45 also offers a loaded chamber indicator on the external extractor. A variety of standard and night sights are available. All FNPs come standard with three magazines and a lockable hard case.

These are selling for about $525 OTD with 3 mags case etc... This gun has everything you are asking for.

If you enjoyed reading about "Looking for a polymer .45" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!