Krebs' AK "peep" sight

PDA

Chris Pinkleton
August 20, 2003, 01:51 AM
Has anyone tried one of Krebs' aperture sights? Do they work well for "quick acquisition" and "precision shooting"?

If you enjoyed reading about "Krebs' AK "peep" sight" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
roscoe
August 20, 2003, 03:16 AM
Have you asked over at AK-74.net?

boing
August 20, 2003, 03:34 AM
Reviewed here:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19964

Correia
August 20, 2003, 03:01 PM
I took mine out again last night. I love them.

I went shooting with fellow THR member JohnL. He prefers the regular AK sight because he can adjust the elevation quickly. That isn't an option with the A2 sights, and is probably the only real drawback.

I find the appeture much faster, easier to use, and I shoot better groups with them.

The attachment is pretty darn solid. If there is any discernable movement that could cause your group to be off, I can't pick it up with my Mk I eyeball.

Plus they look really cool. My Vepr kinda looks like a poor man's Valmet now. :)

762x51
August 20, 2003, 05:32 PM
Oooo.....I can't wait....my rifle with the Krebs peep sights arrives on Monday. :cool:

Chris Pinkleton
August 21, 2003, 12:33 AM
boing--

Is that a review of the same sight listed as "AK Peep sight" on the Kreb's site?

from the Kreb's description:

FEATURES: Many consider the sights to be the weakest feature of the traditional AK design. The Krebs Custom peep sight replaces the OEM rear sight leaf and uses the original elevation slide. The original sighting notch is replaced with an 3.9mm aperture that is optimally sized so as to allow both precision fire and rapid target acquisition.

I thought that this sight was still elevation adjustable--was I mistaken?

Triad
August 21, 2003, 12:57 AM
No you're not mistaken. They're talking about a different sight.

MAKOwner
August 21, 2003, 04:12 AM
Scroll down further on their site for the top cover mounted "KREBS CUSTOM AR-15 STYLE PEEP SIGHT
$65.00"

Want to get one of these myself, looks nice.

Chris Pinkleton
August 22, 2003, 01:26 AM
So, has anyone tried that $45.00 one I originally asked about?

Correia
August 22, 2003, 01:04 PM
I have used both. JohnL has one of the apeture sights that replaces the standard buckhorns.

It is a big step up from the regular sights. Maybe not as fast at close range, but dang near as fast, and much better at longer distances. The sight is still elevation adjustable.

Some people will disagree with me, but having a peep that far from your eye kind of defeats the purpose of a peep. Peeps are made to work in the manner that you look through them and forget about them. Your eye automatically centers the front sight. This way you are only worrying about getting 2 things in alignment. (front sight and target) vs. 3 things (front, rear, and target).

When a peep is that far forward it just works like a regular buckhorn sight. You eye will not automatically focus on the front sight. However I still think having a big circle is still better than have to line up a flat plane.

As for workmanship, Krebs is first rate.

Chris Pinkleton
August 22, 2003, 04:01 PM
Thank you, sir. Just the information I was looking for!

If you enjoyed reading about "Krebs' AK "peep" sight" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!