Colt Defender Lightweight Ammo

PDA

Cowboybootnut
May 22, 2008, 10:27 PM
About a year ago I bought a Colt Defender Series 90 Lightweight from a good buddy of mine (slightly used). He did not have the manual for it, but he recommended that I shoot ammo with less than 200 grain bullets. So far, I have stayed with 185 gr JHP, and 185 gr LSWC. My indoor range does not allow using lead, so I am shooting the expensive 185 gr. JHP at the range that I have bought at Wal Mart or Bass Pro. This hinders the amount of shooting I would like to do, without having to reload ammo.

1. How harmful - wear and tear wise - is it to shoot perhaps 200-250 rounds of 230 gr FMJ per year in it? I have used the Search feature with no luck.

2. Where can I get an owner's manual for it?

I love the Defender, I CC it sometimes, but I would like to practice more.

Thanks in advance. :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt Defender Lightweight Ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
The Lone Haranguer
May 22, 2008, 11:23 PM
1. How harmful - wear and tear wise - is it to shoot perhaps 200-250 rounds of 230 gr FMJ per year in it?

You might need a new recoil spring in about five years, at that rate. ;)

It is inconceivable that the original loading of the cartridge that it was designed for is going to cause any premature wear. I would also speculate that your friend is not concerned about wear, but more about things like bullet velocity/performance in the short barrel, point of impact, etc.

Tom Fury
May 23, 2008, 04:21 AM
Lighter weight ammo specifically designed to address loss of muzzle velocity in shorter guns; actually a little hotter than 230; wear & tear is not the issue. Suggest Cor Bon 165 grain. Colt was aware of this (165) when they put out the Defender; ammo companies were aware of the Defender when they put it out.
Cheers, TF

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt Defender Lightweight Ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!