Do you think HKs are ugly?

PDA

cowssurf
May 23, 2008, 12:04 AM
I know HKs are quality guns. I've never actually fired one. But I'm not talking about their performance or ergos. I'm strictly talking about aesthetics. Personally, I think HKs are ugly guns. And I mean Hi Point ugly. I wouldn't buy one because of how ugly they are. What do you think of the way they look? And I could not care less how you think of their performance or quality. Only looks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Do you think HKs are ugly?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
pdowg881
May 23, 2008, 12:06 AM
Personally I think it looks like somebody took a Glock, attempted to make it look nice, and realized that the attempt was futile. I feel this way about all of their polymer pistols. I like the looks of the rifles and subguns though.

blkbrd666
May 23, 2008, 12:10 AM
I was thinking a Walther P series got a piece of a Sig, then an HK was born. The Glock idea is great!!!

9mmepiphany
May 23, 2008, 12:29 AM
i gather you must not be refering to the P7 or the P9

DougDubya
May 23, 2008, 01:03 AM
I do not love the sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, but for WHAT IT PROTECTS.

A gun could have naked pictures of Rosie O'Donnel on the slide and grip, but if it stops someone trying to murder my family, who the bloody f-word CARES?

CWL
May 23, 2008, 01:03 AM
Have you ever seen a hardchromed P7M8?

Have you ever seen a MP5K?

I have.

Stop playing with 'plastic' boy, and get some learnin' in yourself.

RonE
May 23, 2008, 01:05 AM
Have you ever looked at the P7 series or the P9S pistols. They not only look great but they feel great and they shoot great!

freakshow10mm
May 23, 2008, 01:11 AM
I think the P7 is very sexy. I'm getting one and rubbing it all over my body. Yeah, I said it. So what.

ashtxsniper
May 23, 2008, 01:13 AM
H&K makes some of the best looking guns on the market. For instance H&K USP, G3, G36, MP5, HK91. They look better than most of the stuff out there.

freakshow10mm
May 23, 2008, 01:20 AM
The G3 is cool. The MP5 is over rated. The SOCOM is fugly. USPs are well balanced.

cowssurf
May 23, 2008, 01:20 AM
DougW, I the bloody f-word care. That's what this thread is about. I think the guns are ugly, and I cared enough to start this thread. I care about how guns look. I like it when they look nice.

Hoppy590
May 23, 2008, 01:21 AM
the only decent looking gun is the P7. but it would be "handsome" if it had a short grip with out the combat stapler aspect.
http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hk-p7-1.jpg

the G3 is handsom

nwilliams
May 23, 2008, 01:41 AM
I can't vote because beauty is in the eye of the beholder isn't an option:neener:

I don't think H&K's are ugly myself and it really depends on which model you are referring to. Some H&K's are prettier than others but on the whole I think there are some pretty attractive ones available.

Whether a gun is ugly or pretty doesn't really matter to me a whole lot, I'm more interested in how it feels and functions.

This thread has the potential to turn very hostile, the fact is there are going to be people who don't care how a gun looks and others who do. I am kind of on the fence about the issue. Yes I prefer function over form but at the same time I like guns that have nice aesthetics and ergonomics as well. You may feel a gun is ugly, someone else may find it pretty and someone else may not care either way. All I'm saying is lets be courteous to everyones opinions and not let it turn personal.

DougDubya
May 23, 2008, 02:25 AM
cowssurf - I guess I'm not a beauty kinda guy. Some of my favorite literary heroes are uglier than sin - Ben Grimm, Kurt Wagner, the Frankenstein monster, Erik the Phantom of the Opera.

'Course, you'll find me drooling over beautiful revolvers.

Besides -
http://www.impawards.com/2001/posters/lara_croft_tomb_raider.jpg

GaryP
May 23, 2008, 02:26 AM
When purchasing a handgun I do not consider appearance (Ugly, Cute, Pretty, etc) as part of the "Buy" "No Buy" decision as it has no impact on anything that matters, at least as it pertains to my use of firearms. :)

I own 4 HK's! :what:

:evil:

pgeleven
May 23, 2008, 11:20 AM
personally i think its a very handsome weapon, but too broad a question. most companies out there make some attractive pieces and a few that make you go '***?' when you see it for the first time. but like others befor eme have said, its more about performance than looks. if it feels like a part of my hand and pops every time i pull the trigger then i could care less what it looks like.

DrewH
May 23, 2008, 11:25 AM
I think they are very good looking line of guns as a whole. I like my P2000's appearance, and think my P7 is quite nice looking.

I think you could choose something less sarcastic than your Grace Kelly line for the folks who like their looks.

CountGlockula
May 23, 2008, 11:41 AM
Beauty and ugliness of polymer guns are in the eyes of the beholder.

19-3Ben
May 23, 2008, 11:56 AM
They are damned ugly. Never seen one I thought looked good. They are just big ole' hunks of plastic.

And I think my M&P is nice looking, so it's not a plastic thing.
H&K's just don't have any grace to them. They are not graceful guns.

THat's not to say they don't shoot well.

Anna's Dad
May 23, 2008, 12:24 PM
A gun could have naked pictures of Rosie O'Donnel on the slide and grip, but if it stops someone trying to murder my family, who the bloody f-word CARES?

I'd have to think about it. I love my family, but... ;)

SAG0282
May 23, 2008, 12:25 PM
I think HK pistols are very becoming.

Tribal
May 23, 2008, 12:37 PM
From the side, I like the look of the USP Compact. It has a sort of brutal beauty to it that suits a gun well. It's no 1911 or BHP, but those were elegant weapons for a more civilized time. The part I don't like about the USPc's looks is from behind; it's like too much of the slide is missing and the sights look awkward perched up there.

That said, it's the gun of mine I'd be most likely to take if I needed something I was sure would be reliable.

Stephen A. Camp
May 23, 2008, 12:47 PM
As was posted earlier, this thread shows the potential for becoming ugly. It best not. Too often now it seems that members on this site do not post to THR standards. Their post will either be rude or insulting or attack the poster rather than the argument. Frequently, the thread will post nothing of merit whatsoever. For example, a fellow will post a question about Brand X automatic or Caliber Y. Many will attempt to answer his questions but almost inevitably, some "genius" will say, "Buy a Brand Z" or "Get Caliber K" rather than address the original poster's concerns. This sort of thing gets so old.

I have little hope that this thread will go on to die a "natural death." It seems that someone will just have to spoil it for everyone and post some sort of meaningless, rude or inappropriate thread.

Still, though I have little expectation of it, please stay on topic. Please make sure that reponses are appropriate and on topic. It has become extremely obvious that some pruning of the membership is in order and it might as well start here.

ugaarguy
May 23, 2008, 01:33 PM
Last night I voted for "I never thought about it." The OP did get me thinking though. After some thought here's what I've come up with. The P7 and earlier metal frame HK's are generally quite nice looking. The VP70Z is a 1970s Sci-Fi space gun looking pistol.

Which brings us to their current line up, all of which are polymer frame. Ergos and performance aside, as the OP requested, they're polymer frame autos. They look very similar to <insert generic plastic frame gun here>. Unfortunately there is only so much you can do with the looks of a molded black or green plastic grip frame. They're not exactly pretty, nor ugly, they just are. They're functional.

Luckily we live the USA, which has the largest and most diverse handgun market in the world. We have the luxury, and freedom to be picky. If there's something you don't like about a gun I see no reason to buy it: There are plenty of alternatives that will work just as well.

Just keep buying those guns and keep me employed. ;)

HGUNHNTR
May 23, 2008, 01:44 PM
I think they are beautiful in an All Business all of the time sort of way.

MakAttak
May 23, 2008, 01:44 PM
I do not hate H&K (although they hate me. and I suck)

I do think they are ugly guns.

However, unless a gun has history behind it, it is but a tool.

Tools aren't supposed to be pretty.

Now, my .45 LC... that's another story.

It's more than just a tool.

Darthbauer
May 23, 2008, 01:53 PM
So is this just a place for Glock fans to feel better about themselves?

I have had a USP and plan on getting a Glock at some point but I still think the HK looks better.

jhco
May 23, 2008, 01:55 PM
they are ugly as sin but thats what i like about them

theotherwaldo
May 23, 2008, 02:11 PM
They are power tools.

I don't select power tools for appearance.

I select them for the job that they are supposed to do, and how well they do that job.

DougDubya
May 23, 2008, 06:10 PM
My apologies, Mr. Camp. Mental images of nude O'Donnell were uncalled for. :(

Heraclid
May 23, 2008, 06:22 PM
Agreed - don't protect your family with a gun like that - those pictures could kill your family too.

kbheiner7
May 23, 2008, 06:42 PM
Profoundly.

blkbrd666
May 23, 2008, 06:51 PM
Mr. Moderator(Camp), it may just turn out to be "all fun" like the fanboi/fanboy post...everyone's handling that one pretty well. I would think that when it comes down to it, most everyone here just plain "loves guns" and love the hobby or they would even be sitting here on a beautiful Friday afternoon posting on a forum. A lot of people badmouth a particular gun, or the owner of such, in pure fun when they actually own the same thing. I think AK's are one of the ugliest rifles on the planet, but I bought one and I really like it...same with Sig...got one today and I will replace the Beretta in the car with it tonight when I go out to eat. I still thinks it ugly, but I like it.

Everyone, be nice!!!...it a holiday weekend, and chances are, everyone's children don't take after their parents. :)

PX15
May 23, 2008, 06:51 PM
JMOFartO:

Well, I only have three HK pistols, but I think they all look pretty good to me.:)

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a73/Laserlips/100_8774.jpg

I've found that every time I pull the trigger on any one of the three HK P7's and a nice hole pops up in the X ring the pistol gets "prettier and prettier" all the time.... ;)

Now if you want to talk ugly, ask me about my Walther P99/AS.. It IS imo one ugly pistol, but inaccurate it is NOT.. :D

You might have been better off making a distinction between the P7 series of HK's and the others.. I think most of the other models are too bulky for my taste, :barf: but again that's all personal opinion.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a73/Laserlips/100_8872.jpg

Best Wishes,

Jesse

HighRoad
May 23, 2008, 07:19 PM
no..

NG VI
May 23, 2008, 07:46 PM
I also see the "brutal beauty" qualities in my USP. the frame is nothing spectacular, but the lines of the slide look GOOD to me, and it feels the same way.

eta- I want a P7 so bad I can taste it.

10-Ring
May 24, 2008, 12:05 AM
When I think HK, I think of my P7M8, my HK4, my HK 91, the 93, the MP5 -- ugly? To each his own, but I say no ;)

rcellis
May 24, 2008, 12:09 AM
This is my most-of-the-time carry gun - and I like it's lines, though I like how accurate I can make it too..

http://www.ellisdodge.com/hk2000sk02_600.jpg
HK P2000sk 40 S&W

earl_je
May 24, 2008, 02:56 AM
what the hell are you guys talking about?? HKs are possibly the best looking guns ever... Shot a USP.45 tactical over the weekend and instantly fell in love!

leadcounsel
May 24, 2008, 02:59 AM
I voted ugly, but that applies only to their handguns.

I LOVE the way their SMGs and longguns look!

Firepower!
May 25, 2008, 05:07 PM
What is suppose to be the purpose of this poll?

Not informative nor educational nor entertaining at all.

HK all the way!

If you enjoyed reading about "Do you think HKs are ugly?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!