Why doesn't selected topic change color?

PDA

don95sml
May 23, 2008, 06:09 PM
This question must have been asked before, but I don't see an answer in the FAQ. In all the other gun forums I visit, if I click on a topic the title changes color. I suggest that this is a convenience feature that THR should adopt. Right now, the viewing process for me is: (1) Click on a topic title, (2) Screen changes to show all posts in the selected topic, (3) I read as many of the posts as desired, (4) Click on back arrow in browser, (5) Screen changes back to list of topics, (6) I sit here and waste time wondering where I left off, because there is no color indication to show me which topics I have already visited. There must be a relatively simple programming modification that would solve this problem and make life a lot easier for all your members. Please consider.

If you enjoyed reading about "Why doesn't selected topic change color?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jorg Nysgerrig
May 23, 2008, 06:50 PM
If you refresh the index page or use the breadcrumbs at the top, it will change the read items from bold to normal font. It's your browser caching the unread version and not reloading it from the server causing the issue.

Mal H
May 23, 2008, 08:24 PM
I think Jorg's explanation is correct. Everything you wish would happen does happen as far as I know.

don95sml
May 24, 2008, 05:51 PM
Jorg's answer addresses the problem, but I'm not real happy with the answer. If I am on an index page, and I click on a topic, read the posts, hit the browser's back arrow, AND THEN REFRESH THE SCREEN, yes the topic title changes from bold to normal font. Why should I have to take this extra step (refreshing the screen) after every thread I read? Not necessary for me on Smith-Wesson, Ruger, or Sig forums. Also, when I place my cursor over a topic title on an index screen, that title turns red (great!). But after I click on that title the red color disappears, whereas I feel it should REMAIN red to show me that I have read the posts on that topic. That's the way it works on other forums. I wonder whether this is a function of the browser that is used. My browser is Mozilla Firefox, which is very popular, and becoming more so all the time. Perhaps your site is geared to Internet Explorer and that's why you don't get the same results I do?

Jorg Nysgerrig
May 24, 2008, 11:24 PM
This has nothing to do with your specific browser. It is a function of the bulletin board software THR uses. See the threads below:
http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/project.php?issueid=23476
http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111716
http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/project.php?issueid=5587#note18031

As you can see, there remains a question of whether hitting back should reload the page or not. The makers of vB don't think so.

don95sml
May 25, 2008, 07:05 PM
As you can see, there remains a question of whether hitting back should reload the page or not. The makers of vB don't think so.
Thanks, Jorg. I guess if you guys aren't willing to champion this cause against the folks at vB, there's little a lowly consumer like me can do. I think they're absolutely wrong, but I'll have to put up with it. Thanks again for at least listening to my complaints.

If you enjoyed reading about "Why doesn't selected topic change color?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!