Suggestion, please.

PDA

jrbrown1991
May 23, 2008, 08:16 PM
Any suggestions on double-stack full size .45 that shoot non-FMJ (I.E. Hydrashok) reliably?

Prefferably without grip safety, or magazine detach safety. Also, prefferably not a decocker-safety, but I'll consider that as well.
It will be used for carry, so reliability is #1.

The larger the grip, the better. I have a 90-two with a Hogue grip on it, and it's still considerably too small. I can't get a proper grip, and it hurts my fingers.

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/2927/gripui8.jpg

Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Suggestion, please." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
HighRoad
May 23, 2008, 08:18 PM
g21 SF FTW

Treo
May 23, 2008, 08:19 PM
Cz 97 B

The Lone Haranguer
May 23, 2008, 08:56 PM
In addition to those, the S&W M&P with the large grip (three are supplied), or perhaps the full-size H&K USP.

Quiet
May 24, 2008, 04:38 AM
posting lag

Quiet
May 24, 2008, 04:46 AM
Since you want a beefy grip, check out...

[no grip safety, no magazine disconnect, no manual safety]
Glock Model 21
H&K USP-45 (LEM trigger module)
S&W M&P-45

[no grip safety, no magazine disconnect, manual safety, no decocker]
Ceska Zborojoka CZ-87B
EAA Witness
H&K USP-45 (Variant 9 & 10 trigger module)

[no grip safety, no magazine disconnect, manual safety with decocker]
FN FNP-45
H&K Mark 23
H&K USP-45 (Variant 1 & 2 trigger module)
MRI Baby Eagle

jrbrown1991
May 24, 2008, 05:07 AM
Thank you for the replies.

Quiet, that is an impressive list.

The EAA witness is looking like my favorite there. 12 round, external hammer & safety. DA/SA
From EAA site, it appears that the full-size Witness .45 are all stainless... Do they have a blued version, or would I have to put DuraCoat on it?

One last question (I hope :D)
Is the Witness extremely reliable? Can I put JHP through it?

Thanks!!

Quiet
May 24, 2008, 05:39 AM
The EAA Witness (.45ACP), MRI Baby Eagle (.45ACP) and CZ-97B are essentialy the same gun. They are all .45ACP versions of the CZ-75.

EAA imports the Italian made Tanfoglio version (Witness).
MRI imports the Israeli made IWI version (Baby Eagle).
CZ USA imports the Czech made CZ version (CZ-97B).

Capacity (10 rounds) is the same on all three current production versions.

The Witness is only offered in "stainless" in the steel framed version and "blued" in the ploymer framed version.
The Baby Eagle and CZ-97B are both only offered with a "blued" finish.

The Witness and CZ-97B are both DA/SA with no decocker.
The Baby Eagle is DA/SA with decocker.

From personal experience...
Both the Ceska Zborojoka CZ-97B and EAA Witness (10mmAuto) are accurate, reliable and have a really beefy/thick grip.

I owned a CZ-97B and sold it because I found it to be too big for my hands.
Only fired 230gr FMJ through it since it was to big for me for every day use and was just a range gun. Not sure how reliable it would be with JHP rounds, but it was 100% reliable with FMJ.

I handled my friends Witness, but it was in 10mmAuto. He had both the full sized and compact versions in 10mmAuto and he has his compact version on his CA CCW permit. Both his 10mmAuto Witness were 100% reliable with FMJ and JHP rounds. Not sure how the .45ACP version would be though.

Quiet
May 24, 2008, 05:44 AM
From personal experience...
The Glock Model 21, Glock Model 21SF and H&K USP-45 are all reliable with FMJ & JHP rounds.

I've used all three and own the Glock Model 21SF.
It has the smallest feeling grip.

Out of the three, the H&K USP-45 has the thickest feeling grip but it was not as beefy as the CZ-97B.

Robert14
May 24, 2008, 08:19 AM
Check out the HK USP and the new HK45 before you buy. You will be upset if you don't & shoot one after buying something else.

jrbrown1991
May 24, 2008, 10:00 AM
It is not possible for me to "try" them, there are no rental ranges anywhere near me.

Thanks though.

If you enjoyed reading about "Suggestion, please." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!