CZ P-01 Range Report

PDA

jpwilly
May 24, 2008, 01:22 AM
I very recently acquired a new CZ P-01. It came with a case, cleaning kit, two mags and mag loader. Just yesterday I was finally able to get to the indoor range close to work. I took 100 rnds of Remington FMJ, 50 rnds of PMC FMJ, 50 rnds of Magtech FMJ.

Loading the magazines to their full capacity of 14rnds didn't require much effort nor was there any pain involved. The magazines load quite easily - the included loader will not get much use. Magazines insert smoothly and lock in with a positive click from the mag release. The pistol points naturally and feels like it was made for my hand (that's why I bought it). Aligning the three dot sights was quick and easy. The front sight required no extra concentration to focus on. Pulling the trigger, my only complaint, in DA is long, heavy initially, and seems to have a lot of creep. SA pull was much lighter but still has too much creep (needs a trigger job!). I normally shoot a 1911 with a really good trigger...hard to praise this thing.

Once I got the trigger back BANG...There was hardly any muzzle flip and after each shot the front sight fell back on to target. 14 rnds seemed like eating candy. Mags emptied as brass fell all around the bullets hit home. I shot 50rnds at 10 yrds, 15yrds, 20 yrds, and 25yrds. All groups were good.

This pistol hits just what you aim at. For example at 25yrds and a 5.5" shoot n c target I was able to put 46 rounds inside the black and only 4 all to the right barely outside. I do need to adjust the rear sight the groups all were just a little off center to the right (I'm a lefty - maybe it's me).

The PMC ammo had a huge muzzle flash. The Rem and Magtech seemed very little muzzle flash but the Magtech ammo smelled. I didn't try any HP ammo yet but all the ball ammo feed the same from the 1st round to the 200th. This was a great trip to the range with a great pistol. I need to get the trigger broke in and the sights adjusted. Overall, I'd give this pistol a 8 out of 10! If the trigger would have been better I would say that this is nearly the most perfect nine I've shot.

If you enjoyed reading about "CZ P-01 Range Report" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
popeye
May 24, 2008, 10:17 AM
I've got one and really like it. CZ makes a non "PO" Compact with similar appearance/style in .40 with a steel frame. Very tempting. I don't like striker fired guns.

Cloudpeak
May 25, 2008, 11:55 AM
I don't like striker fired guns.
Why is that? I have the same feeling and can't really put my finger on it.

My first semi-auto was an XD40SC and I owned a M&P 9mm full size. Both guns were accurate at slow fire for me. I shot the best offhand group ever with my M&P. But, when shooting steel plates, I just couldn't seem to do nearly as well as I did with my 1911's. I bought a CZ Compact (9mm) and it is very accurate and I can run the plates as well with this gun as I can with my 1911's. Maybe it's just the extra weight of steel (although one of my 1911's is a LW Champion.

I gave up worrying about it and got rid of the striker fired pistols and am very content with my hammer fired pistols.

Cloudpeak

Samuel Adams
May 25, 2008, 12:10 PM
Maybe we are all traditionalists at heart. BTW, I'm debating on my next purchase. It will either be the P-01 or a Kadet Kit.

Glock Glockler
May 25, 2008, 04:11 PM
I wish they'd make a P-01 with a manual safety.

FEG
May 25, 2008, 04:18 PM
Feed your P-01 with 124 gr loads, and you will like it even more! ;)

Curiousity
May 25, 2008, 04:28 PM
I'm debating on my next purchase. It will either be the P-01 or a Kadet Kit.

Dude get the p-01 its my next purchase it will be way more funner then a Kadet kit....well imo

If you enjoyed reading about "CZ P-01 Range Report" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!