"Match Primers"

PDA

jmtgsx
August 20, 2003, 03:05 PM
I was at the gun show last weekend buying some Win Sp and LP and saw some Federal Match primers. $23.00/1000 instead of the $14.50 I paid for the Win.s. Just wondered what the difference was.(I know, $9.50:neener: ) Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about ""Match Primers"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Poodleshooter
August 20, 2003, 05:05 PM
It buys additional quality assurance in production, more consistent primer pellet charge weights.
Unfortunately, my personal trigger control doesn't warrant an extra $9.50 worth of primer quality control.

Mikul
August 20, 2003, 06:19 PM
At the gun show I go to, the Federal Match Large Rifle primers were only $1.50 more than regular.

They do seem to produce slightly better groups. The difference in accuracy is neglidgable at pistol distances.

Match primers are generally a bit more sensitive which may be helpful if you have a gun which tends to strike lightly.

Jeeper
August 20, 2003, 06:37 PM
I use CCI Benchrest primers in my 225. It shrunk the group a little. They were only a couple bucks more though per 1000

JoeHatley
August 20, 2003, 08:46 PM
The Federal Match primers are a little more "sensitive" to ensure reliable ignition with the light trigger pulls (hammer fall) that many match guns have. Well worth the extra dollars, if your hammer fall is right on the edge, and you're score can't stand any more alibis.

Joe

jmtgsx
August 21, 2003, 11:38 AM
Thanks guys. I appreciate the responses. I can see that its not worth the difference, being a hack anyway. But I do Have fun!:)

GooseGestapo
August 26, 2003, 02:38 PM
If your'e benchrest shooting a 6mm PPC or Intl. the extra cost will be worth it.

With Hunting grade rifles, and even the most accurate of Match grade pistols, I haven't seen a benefit with match primers.

I saw group size with a friends 6mmPPC Sako 75, go from .4" to .25" with match primers. SD went from 19 to 5.

This too is what I've seen with handgun loads, (9mm, Fed. Cases, Fed.GM or std. SP-primers, 5.3gr Win.SuperFld, various 115gr Bullets.). However, I haven't been able to detect a .015" difference in my groups with handguns!!!! Hence not worth the ~40% higher price. Believe Me, if I could see even a 1% improvement in performance with my PPC revolver (difference between a 1490 and 1492), I'd use the Match primers.

As for sensivity, I haven't established a difference between Match and Standard primers within BRAND.
There is however a noticable difference between Federal and Winchester primers (Win thicker and less sensative), and a Profound difference between Federal and CCI's. (I heard CCI's described as 'hard as the hinges of hell' by an old Bullseye Shooter).

But, for some, the extra confidence derived by the drop in SD of their loads may make sense, if it allows them to WIN MATCHES.
Hope this helps.

Smokey Joe
September 8, 2003, 03:13 AM
IMHO, a difference of $9.50 between "regular" and "match grade" is too much; stick with the regulars if that's the best you can do for price. For rifle shooters, if the match grade primers are only a few bucks extra per M, the difference is worth it for the greater uniformity. Can't see spending an extra nickel per M for pistol match primers, unless you are in the top 10% of your bullseye pistol league and you need every little advantage you can beg, borrow, or steal. Nobody else is good enough with a pistol to be able to notice the difference with the match grade primers.

I don't accept "hunting accuracy" as "good enough." A gun and load which can't do < MOA doesn't get to go hunting with me except as a backup. Yeah, I know that's being excessively picky, but then why does one reload in the first place except to obtain better accuracy than you can buy from Wally World. Oh, and yes, I can shoot well enough to take advantage of a rifle that accurate. ('Tain't braggin' if it's true, my grandma said.) How do I stay that good? PRACTICE! How can I afford to practice that much? RELOADING!

The $$ saving aspects of reloading have been debated thoroughly elsewhere. I'd do it for the enhanced accuracy even if I didn't save a dime.

Bottom Gun
September 8, 2003, 08:27 PM
Actually the difference is $8.50 if the match primers are $23.00 and the standard ones are $14.50.
:D

Archie
September 9, 2003, 11:53 AM
I load on a Dillon XL 650. Federal Primers tend to jam and deform more in the primer seating function. WW and CCI primers seem to just flow right along and seat without incident.

I currently use WW primers in about everything and accuracy seems to be very good. My sniper rifle loads shoot half minute, my 22-250 shoots a little less, and my handgun stuff all hit the backstop.

Smokey Joe
September 10, 2003, 03:16 AM
Bottom Gun, I stand corrected. Or since this is about primers, should I say I "seat" corrected? :D

Bottom Gun
September 11, 2003, 01:12 PM
Sorry, I didn't mean to turn this into a Math primer.
;)

AZRickD
September 13, 2003, 01:46 AM
Archie shared:Federal Primers tend to jam and deform more in the primer seating function. WW and CCI primers seem to just flow right along and seat without incident.And I thought it was just me. I have a 550B and was noticing the same thing with Fed primers. I bought a few K of Winchester primers because the shop was out of Fed. I got them for my small and large pistol and small and large rifle. Go in like buttah. .5MOA with my Savage 10FP in .308.

I would like to try the CCI. I heard they go well with Varget powdah.

Rick

If you enjoyed reading about ""Match Primers"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!