Does anyone have info on .44 Ruger Carbine?

PDA

wideym
May 25, 2008, 10:28 PM
Friday I purchaced two Ruger .44 Carbines. My uncle has had one for years and would loan it to me with much hesitation. I love the feel of it and the .44 Mag round. I haven't seen any for sale around here until recently and couldn't resist buying the first one. Then at another gunstore I found another nicer one $80 cheaper.

I have been told that Ruger stopped producing it awhile back. The serial #s start with 102 and 103. Any info about them would be appeciated.

If you enjoyed reading about "Does anyone have info on .44 Ruger Carbine?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Snapping Twig
May 26, 2008, 02:18 AM
I know they are made to be used with copper jacket rounds only. Cast bullets will mess up the gas system.

People that have them typically like them.

I'd like to have one myself, but till then I'll make due with an accurate Mini 30. :)

danjet500
May 26, 2008, 08:40 AM
Check here for year of manufacture.

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/PS-SNH-RI-44CarbineA.html

dmazur
May 26, 2008, 02:10 PM
Some of the earlier models don't have the button near the loading port to facilitate unloading the tubular magazine. There may be other slight differences in early vs. late but that's the major one, I believe.

I also own two, both with 102- serial numbers. One has a walnut stock and the other is some kind of hardwood with walnut stain.

They are accurate enough (2" groups at 100 yds with handloads) for deer hunting. I've heard there is a dedicated following of pig hunters, too.

I have steel Weaver bases on mine, with Leupold VXII 1-4X scopes. I kept iron sight capability with a 0.250" Williams riser block added to the front sight, in combination with a NECG peep sight on the rear scope base. (The peep has to be taken off to mount the scope...)

The magazine tubes have to be clean and slick for proper feeding. Also, the lifter latch pivot has to be oiled properly or it will serve as a high friction point and keep the magazine-fed round from disabling the "last round hold open" feature like it's supposed to.

I used "flush mount" quick-detach sling swivels, so that the barrel band could be removed without having to unscrew a sling swivel stud. (I didn't like the stud that mounted on the barrel band.)

I also sealed the inside of the stock, to keep the wood from swelling and interfering with the action. Ruger didn't leave much clearance there.

Here's a link to the instruction manual, as a .pdf file -

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/PDF/InstructionManuals/42.pdf

I hope this info is helpful. I really like the little Ruger carbine. Too bad they quit making them.

greyling22
May 26, 2008, 11:29 PM
they don't cycle light loads well at all. full power mag loads only. but the gun is great.

rr2241tx
May 27, 2008, 04:54 PM
I have a Deerfield 99/44 that I bought for semi-cheap off a gunsmith who claimed it was capable of hitting a barn, but only from the inside. I loaded up some with 2400 and 240 gr flat points at the owners manual recommended max velocity and they shoot cloverleafs at 100 yards. Those flat meplat Winchester jacketed soft points really carry the mail. The gun is bone stock. Commercial ammo isn't loaded hot enough for it and it is indeed 6MOA with WWB and Fiocchi, which were all I tried before giving up and rolling my own.

Tarvis
May 27, 2008, 06:06 PM
I picked mine up for $200 and an old bmx bike I hadn't ridden since I was 15. Sweet little gun and apparently a treasure on the East coast for a deer gun. Mine is a 102 iirc. I carried it though a gunshow to see what the vendors had to say, consensus was $250 or there abouts trade-in, probably around $400 retail; more for the right person. Awesome camp gun, no crappy mags to worry about, light and most of all, cool ;).

greyling22
May 27, 2008, 09:22 PM
tarvis, if you want to sell it for that kind of money I would be interested.

Mike128
May 27, 2008, 09:29 PM
My dad bought one to deer hunt with. He carried four shots in the gun. The final tally was one deer and four trees while shooting iron sights. Yes, one bullet got two trees.

I've used it with great success also. But only one limb to my count but a half dozen deer. Very little tracking if any, as the 250 grain partitions and XTPs seems to hit harder than what the book says. Light, low recoil, great handling. A low power scope would make it easier to seet those pesky tree limbs.

If you enjoyed reading about "Does anyone have info on .44 Ruger Carbine?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!