Beretta 21a Bobcat fan club

PDA

Carbon_15
May 26, 2008, 05:54 PM
The bobcat catches alot of flack on the forums, despite the (undeserved?) reputation, it remains one of my favorite, most shot and most carried guns in my collection. Despite having more traditional carry guns, the little bobcat's size, shape, and tip up barrel means it is more likely than not, the gun I carry. Mine fuctions flawlwesly with Stingers, and almost 100% with Federal bulk ammo. The accuracy, and shootability of this little gun supprise me everytime I shoot it. Despite having microscopic sights and a short barrel, I can bounce empty shotshells as easily as with my MKII or Neos. A little pocket pistol just shouldnt shoot this dang good!
Sound off if you love your Bobcat!!!

If you enjoyed reading about "Beretta 21a Bobcat fan club" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JBP
May 26, 2008, 06:19 PM
It's OK. My wife's handles CCI Mini Mags better than the Stingers (& that's why its reputation - very finicky with ammo). I prefer my Beretta 913 in 25ACP. One more round and isn't choosy what I feed it.

sm
May 26, 2008, 06:22 PM
I like 'em lots!

buttrap
May 26, 2008, 06:22 PM
Mine runs fine with Stingers too untill it gets dirty after 5-6 mags out of it.

MICHAEL T
May 26, 2008, 07:43 PM
I got 2 of the 950's Jetfires and the model 20 25auto Their accurate and relieable .

bannockburn
May 26, 2008, 09:39 PM
I would love to have back the Model 950's I used to own; they were great little guns. And the one I miss the most was a beautiful Model 20 that I had hard chrome plated to protect it from corrosion. That gun had the nicest DA trigger on it for such a small auto.

plinky
May 26, 2008, 10:15 PM
Gotta say it's been years since my 21A has been shot. Next range trip for sure.

sixgunner455
May 26, 2008, 10:18 PM
I would like to shoot one sometime.

Mad Magyar
May 26, 2008, 11:05 PM
Sound off if you love your Bobcat!!!
Damn, I wish I could then I'd still have it...It was n.i.b., did everything I could but it was "jam city" from the git-go...Two trips back to Beretta, they had their little check-list all marked; but still the same...When using the hypervelocity loads, helped, but still was not reliable...
Anyway, from all the good reports from others; let's say I got the "bad-one" that left the factory....:(

gpr
May 26, 2008, 11:12 PM
i have a cousin...pt22...no problem with the gun its self...it took several trips to the range with the niddle nose pliers to get both mags to feed.....gpr

wristtwister
May 26, 2008, 11:26 PM
My little Bobcat is the biggest surprise to fellow shooters at the range. I pull that little toy out of it's "cute little holster" (description from one of the women) and start blasting center-mass on the BG targets at 10-15 yards. It has to be the "most examined" gun I own, and everybody that shoots it wants to buy it from me.

I'm not too particular about what I shoot in it... the Remington smoke pills work just fine and it really rocks with Stingers... but it seldom misfires or jams up on me... and nothing is simpler to clean than a flip-top with only one dismantled piece (slide). It takes me longer to get out the cleaning supplies than it does to clean the gun, so mine doesn't stay dirty much. I figure I run about 200 rounds a weekend through it, and it keeps everybody's attention when I'm shooting with it.

While it's only a .22LR, putting six or seven of those in somebody will still get the job done, and Aguila makes some "self defense rounds" that even step up that SD application. It'll probably get some rest now that S&W has sent me back my target pistol which they went through, but the Bobcat is the best gun for the money that I've bought lately. It's reliable, and fits in your shirt pocket.

WT

jame
May 26, 2008, 11:29 PM
Mine is nearly a daily carry. With .22 Stingers, it's 100%, she's gotta be clean.

One of the best pocket guns available IMHO....

Steve C
May 27, 2008, 01:57 AM
They're a great gun for those times when a larger piece isn't an option. Certainly better than harsh words if you need to fend off an assailant.
http://www.members.cox.net/scollins15/Pictures/Ber21awb.jpg

tuckerdog1
May 27, 2008, 11:11 AM
Mad Magyar,

Damn, I wish I could then I'd still have it...It was n.i.b., did everything I could but it was "jam city" from the git-go...Two trips back to Beretta, they had their little check-list all marked; but still the same...When using the hypervelocity loads, helped, but still was not reliable...
Anyway, from all the good reports from others; let's say I got the "bad-one" that left the factory....

I could have written that, word for word. Glad it's working for the rest of you.

Tuckerdog1

Top_Notch
May 27, 2008, 11:33 AM
I've always wanted one of these but have been afraid of purchasing a $250 paperweight. I may pick one up based on this thread. Time to go shopping and see what they're going for these days.

oneounceload
May 27, 2008, 12:03 PM
only I have smaller is a 1908 Colt .25......taught my kids to shoot handguns with it....always fun and accurate

roo_ster
May 27, 2008, 04:07 PM
The M21A was my third gun to ever purchase.

It has been reliable and accurate.

That said, I haven't fired or carried it in years. My Kel-Tec P32 is smaller, lighter, and more powerful.

It just was outclassed.

One thing: the 21A is pretty complex for a pistol. LOTS of itty-bitty parts. Luckily, it was made well and is of high quality.

makarovnik
May 27, 2008, 07:27 PM
Love 'em with stingers, mini-mags and velocitors. I even like them with .25acp.

Too bad .25acp ammo is so expensive. I think it's because of low demand because everyone thinks it's such a crappy round. Well it isn't a crappy round in a 2" barrel.

CZF
May 27, 2008, 08:55 PM
Yes, better than a sharp stick. I bought mine last April.
Only have 12 rounds thru it.

Pocket carry seems OK, until you compare it to a Ruger LCP.
Much lighter and with .380 power.

The little Beretta really shoots nice and is steel and wood.
However..the lighter LCP calls my name.

Confederate
May 27, 2008, 10:30 PM
The guns are very nice, and I have both the 21a stainless and the 950 .25ACP stainless. Both guns are now way overpriced and I always thought it was a bit cheap of Beretta to only include one magazine and to charge $35-$40 bucks for a spare, when they're in stock, which is almost never!

Carbon_15
May 28, 2008, 07:05 AM
Pocket carry seems OK, until you compare it to a Ruger LCP.
Much lighter and with .380 power
I theroy I agree, but in practice The little bobcat usualy gets carried anyway. I have a P32 and P3AT. They both bear the Bobcat in power to weight, but the tip-up barrel makes this so conveniant. With the baby kel-teks you have to insert a mag, rack the slide, retract mag, top of mag, re-insert mag. WIth the Beretta, you just put in a loaded magazine and drop a round straight in the chamber. That is why it gets carried alot. I'll admit I'm a lazy CWP holder.
Besides all that, the heavier DA first pull on the Beretta feels more safe in the pocket.

Pilot
May 28, 2008, 08:57 AM
The first mag through my 21A was a disaster using Federal bulk pack ammo. I immediately switched to CCI Minimags and its been 100% reliable. Yes, I carry it sometimes when I can't carry anything else or as a BUG.

RoadTrash
May 28, 2008, 06:15 PM
This is a great little jem...it shoots just about anything I put through it. Except the cheap Winchester 550 bulk pack stuff....I can't get that garbage to run in anything.

I carry this gun almost every day now that it's getting warm out. It just fits so well in a pocket! I keep it loaded with stingers.

cellar dwellar
May 28, 2008, 06:33 PM
I just got one last month. I love it. Fun, easy, cheap to shoot. Convenient to carry when the other option is no gun.

elsullo
May 28, 2008, 08:49 PM
I too had a great Beretta 21A! It functioned perfectly with almost ANY ammo, and was very happy to fire CCI Stingers all day, of which I enlarged the hollowpoints slightly---these produced softball-sized craters in soft clay! Only a tiny few failures to fire, and it was always the bad primers of the cheapest ammo and not the gun.

My Bobcat had the fat wooden grips, which I carefully sanded down to a much thinner profile for discrete pocket carry, in a job where being found to carry concealed meant immediate termination. I even modified a thermos bottle to hide it in plain sight on my dashboard!

I DO regret having to sell it, but it was to a good friend, and I moved up to the North American Arms Guardian .380, and it likewise seems totally reliable.........................elsullo

Sharpdogs
May 28, 2008, 09:36 PM
I just bought one a few weeks ago and I still have not had a chance to take it to the range. I bought simply as a fun gun and with ammo prices skyrocketing I can afford to still shoot this one.

Confederate
May 28, 2008, 10:02 PM
My 21A did not like Thunderbolts. It would jam repeatedly. So now I'm only going to
shoot CCI Mini-Mags in them.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh198/jriler/beretta21A_Small.jpg

owlhoot
May 28, 2008, 10:07 PM
I've had a Bobcat for well over twenty years. I've never had any FTF or FTE problems with it regardless or ammo. And the little gun doesn't get cleaned very often, yet it cycles reliably.

I don't use it as a carry gun and I seldom plink with it. But that is only because I have better options.

Geronimo45
May 29, 2008, 12:11 AM
I've got one. It's smaller than my wallet. It goes in every pocket I have (except the watch pocket). I've been able to stuff it in a ziplock bag, and stuff that in a pair of swim trunks... the pocket seemed to be tailor-made for that gun, BTW.
I've been able to swim while carrying it.
Surprising accuracy for such a tiny gun. Reliability? No problem until you get around 70 rounds or so... of ammo that I don't believe it likes. Extremely simple to clean and disassemble.

wristtwister
May 29, 2008, 09:57 PM
Here's a couple of pics of my little popper... I've got to replace the grips because it has a boo-boo now, but it's still a nice looking little gun.

coondogger
June 19, 2010, 03:43 PM
I just bought a Bobcat 21A. I sold my Tomcat, which I never really liked. However, I found that the Bobcat will not fit the Tomcat holster (a Bianchi 200 IWB). So I be needen' another IWB holster fer me Bobcat. I'd also like to buy some wood grips. Can anyone give me a source for these two items?

druryj
July 19, 2010, 08:36 AM
Beretta Model 21A Bobcat (INOX). One of the most fun little plinkers I have had in many years of shooting. Scary accurate; and after about 600 rounds of break in, it eats CCI mini-mags and Federal Bulk Pack the best. Shot some 300 rounds of the FBP a couple days ago and had ZERO problems. I just q-tipped the chamber, the face, pushed a patch through the bore every so often and kept shooting. Easy to drop in almost any pocket. Mine's a keeper.

mikeone
July 21, 2010, 02:33 AM
Really a great gun with the right ammo! The CCI Velocitors make this lil gun sing. Keep it clean and run hot ammo.

PRM
July 21, 2010, 06:58 AM
Had mine for about 14 years. Had a hiccup two the first couple of hundred rounds and then it settled in. Now, it runs through ammo like a Swiss watch. I have outstanding results with the Federal bulk high velocity hollow points from Walmart. I don't hesitate to pick this little gun up when my activities make a small gun more practical.

Its an all around fun gun to take to the range that won't break the bank.

I have owned 2 of the Model 21s (bought the wife one when I got mine), and 2 of the older 950 models (one in 22 short and one in 25). Both of the 950s got sold when I was a poor college student. My personal experience with the Beretta pocket guns is to give them some break-in time before judging them too harsh. All of mine were/are great shooters, but took a little break-in.

rklessdriver
July 21, 2010, 01:00 PM
I have 2 of them. Nice little pistols. With ammo they like I hardley ever get more than 1 or 2 failures of any type in a shooting session (150-300rnds). My thumbs can't stand to load the mags any more than that......

First one is the Deluxe one with the hi polish blue and wood grips. It runs well on Federal 550, Federal Spit Fire, Winchester 333, CCI Mini Mag and CCI Stinger. Hates any type of Remington ammo. I got it used for a steal, as the previous owner said it wouldn't run at all.... he had only tried Remington golden bullets....

Second one is the regular parked and plastic grip base model. Runs well on Federal 550, CCI mini Mag and CCi Stinger. Runs OK on the Winchester 333 but I had probally 6-7 FTE out of 150rnds while only 1 or 2 out of the Federal and CCI ammo. It's constantly FTEing with the hyper velocity Federal Spit Fire (other one loves it...). I bought it new and have only run... maybe 500rnds thru it. Might get better w/time, but its fine as is.
Will

Oldnoob
July 21, 2010, 02:16 PM
What is up with THR not big on posting pictures? Here is mine. It will take any 22lr ammo as long as I keep it clean.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f185/johell/My%20gun/DSC_0015-1.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f185/johell/My%20gun/DSC_0024.jpg

I really like it for it can hide itself in my pocket easily.

amd6547
July 21, 2010, 02:46 PM
I got this 25acp 21a at a gun show...$150 with Uncle Mike holster, spare mecGar 9rd mag, rug and 50rds of Winchester pellet nose...private sale, no tax, no paperwork.
I have put several hundred rounds through it with zero issues, and great accuracy.
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h61/amd6547/004-1.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Beretta 21a Bobcat fan club" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!