problems with my new 22

PDA

charles.emond
May 26, 2008, 10:00 PM
I finally went for the markII gl from savage since they had it left-handed and hey, it was cheaper than actual retail price on savage's website

very nice little rifle... only problem is, along with it i bought a bushnell scope`
and i'm struggling with it. when looking at the gun from above, the scope points towards left, compared to the barrel, and no little 1/4@100 clicks will make this change in a lifetime:scrutiny:

and also, i heard shooting a rimfire gun without ammunition harms de mechanism... when i removed the bolt it was indeed dented, not anything major but still, it had me wondering

If you enjoyed reading about "problems with my new 22" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BlackJackal
May 26, 2008, 10:05 PM
i dont think i can help you with the scope but, dry firing most rimfires does damage it, without the soft brass in the way the firing pin hits hard steel and bends after a period of time.

charles.emond
May 26, 2008, 10:13 PM
yeah but set aside this mentionned damage, is it any dangerous?

pdowg881
May 26, 2008, 10:19 PM
Do you mean damage to the chamber face?

cracked butt
May 26, 2008, 10:20 PM
and also, i heard shooting a rimfire gun without ammunition harms de mechanism... when i removed the bolt it was indeed dented, not anything major but still, it had me wondering

Older ones maybe, just about any modern .22 is going to have some sort of mechanism built in to prevent the firing pin from dinging the edge of the chamber (the real harm that can come from firing older .22s).

charles.emond
May 26, 2008, 10:23 PM
nice, so how about the scope now? maybe it's a factory mishap...

kBob
May 26, 2008, 10:33 PM
charles,

You did not meantion what rings or how they were attached to the rifle.

With little tip offs used in a groove in a rifle reciever this can mean one side of the mounting grooves has some damage making it pinch the wedge at the base of the tip off rings.

SOmetimes someone some where goofed making the rings. SOmetimes swithing the front ring with the back ring is all it takes to get you back on the back stop.

SOmetimes turning each ring around can work.

and sometimes some combination of switching and turning can fix a problem.

DIspite appearences you might want to bore sight with the scope as it is to confirm that it is not aligned.

Use the distant aiming point method of bore sighting if you do not have a bore sighting tool of some sort. Pull the bolt so you can see down the barrel. Sand bag the gun or other wise solidly brace it so you can see some relative ly small object at least 200 meters away centered in the bore as you look from the breech end. Check to see if your scope is pointed at the same object.

As to the firing pin/breech face peening. I have shot rifles and pistols with this in appearence. It can lead to un reliable ignition and since having the exact ignition sequence every time is an important factor in rime fire accuracy there might be some effect.....but you will not know if either is a concern before you shoot it a good bit.

I saw a case head rupture, crack actually, that occured in a rifle with a severe ding in the breech end of the barrel cased by firing pin peening.....but that was a heck of a hole that kid had made dry firing.

Be sure to wear eye protection when shooting for just such events.

Take the rifle to a gunsmith that knows something about rim fires and have him render a verdict upon the safety of shooting your "new" rifle.

If you haven't figured out why the scope mounting is wonkie by then have him look at that as well.

WHen ever you are concerned about mechanical safety issues....see a professional and ignore internet advice.

-Bob Hollingsworth

DnPRK
May 26, 2008, 10:33 PM
Cheap fix for the scope is to buy Millett windage adjustable rings.
Millett angle-loc windage adjustable rings (http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=374342&t=11082005)
Millett for narrow grooved receivers (http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=131496&t=11082005)

Schleprok62
May 26, 2008, 10:35 PM
charles:

Any chance you can post a pic of what your seeing so that maybe we can see what it is exactly we're trying to diagnose...

Would definitely be helpful...

but it sounds like you may not have the rings on properly...

Neckshot5seven
May 26, 2008, 10:43 PM
most rimfire guns will damage the end of the firing pin or the edge of the chamber when dry fired, as for your windage problem, it sounds like holes were incorrectly lined up when the robot drilled and tapped the holes. send it in for service tell them the problem after taking it to a gunsmith for documentation and they will more than likely send you a new one if that is the case. I wouldn't say that you dry fired it. That can be fixed no problem. the windage thing is major.

Schleprok62
May 26, 2008, 10:51 PM
if the gun is brand new, take it back to the place you bought it from and ask for a replacement...

CB900F
May 26, 2008, 10:54 PM
Charles.emond;

I had the same gun a few years ago. I worked with it & got a nice little .22 outta the deal. It sold to a friend whose son is also a lefty & needed a good gun for not much money. One of these days I'll get another. I have a fairly large battery of .22 rimfires, and she'll never notice another.

Anyway, a solution to the scope problem can be found with an accessory scope rail. Even if the receiver is drilled off centerline, judicious use of needle files can oblong the mount holes in the cheap rail to correct the misalignment. The one I had was set up as a Picatinny style & also allowed a good deal of fore & aft variation in mount position for the scope. Which was a good thing since I tried several different scopes on the gun while I had it.

I enjoyed working with that Savage & would be glad to relate to you what & how I did what I did. If you'd like to hear it, shoot me a PM.

900F

rangerruck
May 27, 2008, 12:38 AM
put the back ring and mount up front and vice versa. start from there.
then without moving them back to front again, try turning the rings 180 degrees, in their mount.

If you enjoyed reading about "problems with my new 22" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!