PT1911 spare the flames please

PDA

Neckshot5seven
May 26, 2008, 11:45 PM
I bought a Taurus PT1911 6 months ago, and after 500 rounds, I am pleased with my purchase. I have not had any failures whatsoever. Every kind of factory ammo has been run through it except Wolf or surplus. It feeds hollow points, it goes bang every time, and best of all it hits what I am aiming at. I wear it as my carry and the finish is starting to show some wear as I wear it IWB. One day I may strip off the finish Dura Coat it, but Ill keep it stock for now. I am not a Gold Cup shooter by any means, but at 25 yards I stay in the 8 ring as fast as I can get the factory straight 8 on target. Which is faster than any other sighting system I have used before. It took a little getting used to, but just make a 8, both eyes open and bang. Yes I know it is not your Ed Brown, yes I know I did not pay 1500 dollars like your Kimber Custom Carry, Yes I know what MIM is, and I really could give a u know what. I know the finish is not as good as your Springfield, and the checkering of the frontstrap is not sharp enough to double as a meat saw, but I challenge anyone to find a better 1911 with features like this, that is as reliable as this for under $700. better yet I paid under 600. I trust it with my life.

If you enjoyed reading about "PT1911 spare the flames please" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
THE MACHINIST
May 26, 2008, 11:51 PM
yeah they have these at the local sportsmans warehouse for 499.00 blue and 599.00 stainless thx for the report.

RX-178
May 26, 2008, 11:56 PM
Everywhere I ask about these things, nobody can find anything SUBSTANTIAL to say against them.

I asked the guy behind the counter at Kirk's Gun Shop, and he said straight out that he's sold many of them, and that EVERYONE that's purchased one from him has been very favorably impressed. And he's one of the guys that DOESN'T like them.

His only argument against them is that: "They're new, and we don't know much about their metal quality, so we'll have to see how they hold up after someone puts 10,000 rounds through them.

Neckshot5seven
May 27, 2008, 12:07 AM
Yea, that is what seperates nice steel from the Alien Super Alloy. I really dont plan to shoot that much, Just enough to break it in and get a feel for it. And some here and there to stay proficiant. I will use it for Carry except in times when Im in a plain white tee and shorts with flops. Then my Charter Arms undercover 2" is IWB. I have heard nothing first hand. A lot of stuff came from a guy who I knows brother in law storys. not saying they are perfect and every one is a gem, but mine is great. Im sure even the most expensive has had some sort of Lemon go out the door at some point in time.

tomh1426
May 27, 2008, 12:22 AM
I got a pt1911ss in February and have put over 5000 rounds through it with NO problems at all, Still feels as tight as the day I got it.
It has a great trigger, works with all my mags, eats anything I feed it and shoots just as good as my S&W 1911.
Even people that dont like Taurus seem to like the pt1911 and pt92.

TimboKhan
May 27, 2008, 12:24 AM
The PT1911 is a good pistol, at a reasonable cost. I wouldn't take any other 1911 over mine.

RX-178
May 27, 2008, 12:27 AM
I'd also like to add that anybody who doesn't think that 10,000 rounds is a lot of use for ANY handgun, is just plain spoiled on HK and Glock reliability propaganda. :neener:

nick295
May 27, 2008, 12:57 AM
Extractor broke on mine at about 5k rounds. Now I do really like this pistol as a range gun, great stock trigger and accuracy but I just couldn't use it as a defensive gun.

TimboKhan
May 27, 2008, 01:30 AM
Extractor broke on mine at about 5k rounds. Now I do really like this pistol as a range gun, great stock trigger and accuracy but I just couldn't use it as a defensive gun.

Are you being serious?

LawofThirds
May 27, 2008, 06:41 AM
Why pray tell, would you not use this as a defensive gun? Honestly, the three most important excluding factors in choosing a defensive gun are (as I understand it) reliability, controllability and "stopping power". If a gun has all three then there's no reason why it shouldn't/couldn't be used in a "combative" role.

greener
May 27, 2008, 07:08 AM
I've had one for a year. I've fired about 2500 rounds through it (I'm not much of a bullet counter). I shoot in caliber rotation (different caliber every week) so it gets fired every third week. The only problem I have with the pistol is figuring out the die settings when I started to reload. Apparently mine has a tight chamber because cartridges that worked in a Kimber wouldn't fit the Taurus. Once I got the die setting correct I've had no problems.

My PT1911 fires accurately. I've had no problems with any commercial ammo and now have no problems with my reloads. I have zero concerns with carrying it or HD. I pull the trigger, it goes bang and the next round chambers. I'm also pretty sure when I pull the trigger the bullet will go where I'm pointing the pistol.

My son and son-in-law gave me a hard time because I bought a Taurus, until they fired the PT1911. Both were duly impressed.

Is the PT1911 better than a Kimber? Maybe not. I do know that I've out shot guys who were bragging about their Kimbers (usually starts with how much they paid). I also loaned mine at the range to a Kimber owner who thought the PT1911 would be a great starter pistol for his son (price). The kid bought a PT1911 and says he likes it better than his dad's Kimber.

tinygnat219
May 27, 2008, 07:09 AM
Well,

Looks like Taurus has gotten its act together, but after being buffaloed on 7 of their previous products, there won't be an eighth time. Glad it's working out for you!

XDKingslayer
May 27, 2008, 09:38 AM
No, Taurus hasn't gotten their act together. They just pay more attention to the 1911s than their other guns it seems. Still, stupid stuff still manages to slip by as seen here. And they haven't changed their customer service one iota so you still have that negative.

Every PT-1911 that I've shot or a buddy has owned/shot has been great pistol. No problems, reliable and impressively accurate.

I keep seeing a lot of reports of broken ambi safeties though. I was worried about that on my father's but he replaced the ambi safety when he put the Crimson Trace grips on.

tsidorus
May 27, 2008, 11:04 AM
The only problem I have with mine is it hangs up on the ejection port when clearing ball ammo. HPs no problem. Someday Ill get it fixed. Overall Im pretty impressed but I still wouldnt pay the price they seem to be going for new now.

-Tsi

XDKingslayer
May 27, 2008, 12:32 PM
I still wouldnt pay the price they seem to be going for new now.

Yep. They've quickly become over-priced. Honestly, you shouldn't be paying over $450.00 for a blued model.

But, if I was looking for a cheap 1911 with decent options I get the RIA Tactical over the Taurus.

Neckshot5seven
May 27, 2008, 12:35 PM
I have seen this too on cheap winchester usa brand 230 grain hardball. Only once in a while does it do this. I went through a few mags of this stuff, cycling the pistol by hand. The ones that hung in the ejection port were set aside and later compared to the ones that came out A-OK. I measured OAL of the ones that hung and they were way too long, as if the bullet was not seated deep enough. This is to be expected for bottom of the barrell Winchester white box. I only came across this with these bullets.

Technosavant
May 27, 2008, 12:39 PM
Got one. Like it. It had some light primer strike issues right out of the box, but the gun shop had a good gunsmith get it right. The grips stink and the screw heads are oversize, but that was easy enough to fix.

Now after a few hundred rounds down the barrel it is my chosen house gun. While I'm not sure that the PT1911 is as good as a S&W or a Springfield (the fit and finish just isn't quite as nice), it is a quite competent gun and I have no problems recommending it to somebody looking for a high featured budget 1911.

rellascout
May 27, 2008, 12:48 PM
People are so hung up on the features of the Taurus. Everyone thinks they need all this crap on a 1911 when in the end you don't The Taurus is a feature laden low end gun. It is full of MIM parts and Taurus is inconistent in its fit and finish. The finish on these guns suck. They wear very quickly.

I have heard of lots of ambi safeties shearing off. I have also seen many reports of high round count guns becoming rather loose. Much looser than they shipped from the factory. Not that a little rattle in a 1911 is a a death nail. To me this is a sign that the construction and metal hardness may not hold up over time.

People seem to like them but in the end they are what they are. With the price rising I quickly see them loosing momentum.

I personally think the RIA tactical and then the STI Spartan are better guns.

http://www.stiguns.com/guns/Spartan/images/Spartan06-Main_800w.jpg

I recently have purchased 3 1911s that I would consider better guns for the money. First is an 80 series Colt NIB $550 then a Colt Series 70 NIB $650 and then a used Colt MKIV tutone with a beavertail and FLGR at $650.

To me for the extra $50 or for $50 less I got a better 1911 than the Taurus. :)

Eightball
May 27, 2008, 01:04 PM
His only argument against them is that: "They're new, and we don't know much about their metal quality, so we'll have to see how they hold up after someone puts 10,000 rounds through them.It's a smart guy behind a counter who is so honest about his complaints on something, rather than delving into the hype.

I've toyed with the Taurus, but for just a titch more money, I can get better product around here. Varies from place to place, I'm sure, but for around here, it's less of an awesome deal than in other places.

Coyote Hunter
May 27, 2008, 01:29 PM
It's always going to be the better car arguement...Ford vs. Chevy Corvette Vs. Viper....Caddy vs. Lincoln.

I can drive a 'vette to the grocery store or I can drive a neon. I get there just the same with the Neon at a much cheaper price than the 'vette. Is it fun to drive the 'vette (Kimber SIS), you bet. IS it fun to drive the neon (Taurus) down the same twisty road, sure, just not as much status. Both get you where your going, which is staying alive out there.

I carry my Taurus PT1911 daily, totally trust it, probably will never shoot 5000 rounds through it.

I was an LEO for many years and doubt I ever shot that many rounds anyway.

Even with cheap .45 ammo that's still $1400.00. I'm too por for that.

DrLaw
May 27, 2008, 01:30 PM
the checkering of the frontstrap is not sharp enough to double as a meat saw,

I thought that was an added feature! I already have some tenderloins to slice up! :banghead: What am I going to do now with mine? Shoot it? :rolleyes:

By the way, asking for no flames here is like tossing a cigarette out of a window in California and not expecting to hear about a new wildfire on the news at night. I haven't seen as much vitriol as there has been against Taurus 1911's as against any other 1911's. Only the Hi-Points, Brycos and Jennings seem to draw more flames.

It's either blazing hot or frozen cold as to how people feel about the PT1911. No middle ground to be found. Amazing.

The Doc is out now. :cool:

Top_Notch
May 27, 2008, 01:38 PM
but I challenge anyone to find a better 1911 with features like this, that is as reliable as this for under $700.

My SA Loaded in stainless was under 7 bills, has a lot of nice features, and is 100% reliable. Great that you love your Taurus, but be careful how you state it.

kentucky_smith
May 27, 2008, 02:01 PM
Taurus has had enough issues with other guns that I'd look elsewhere. They discontinued their problem-plagued SAA.
For not much more money, you can get a better gun.

presspuller
May 27, 2008, 02:15 PM
The PT1911 is the ONLY taurus pistol that I have not heard (or seen) bad things about.
I do not own one but from what you and others have told me maybe they got their act together on this one.
Its about time. They have put out a lot of junk over the years.

Technosavant
May 27, 2008, 02:18 PM
People seem to like them but in the end they are what they are. With the price rising I quickly see them loosing momentum.

I personally think the RIA tactical and then the STI Spartan are better guns.

I'd agree that is Taurus jacks the price much at all the PT1911 looks far less attractive. If a PT1911 is $500 and a SA Loaded is $750+, the SA is worth the money and I'd personally spend it. If the PT1911 is within $150, I can't imagine recommending the PT1911 at all.

The PT1911 does have a theoretically better frame and slide; forged instead of cast (yes, cast shoots well, so it's like I said- theoretically, like tool steel parts are theoretically better than MIM, but in practice there isn't much difference if MIM was done right). It's definitely worth a look if a person is trying to keep the price under $600ish. So are the RIA and the Spartan. It's up to each person as to what they want and what they're looking for. But as with most things, there's a quality gap between that price level and what you get for another couple Franklins.

Old Dog
May 27, 2008, 02:25 PM
I do not own a Taurus PT-1911 and have little experience with it, however, I have I have a couple friends/shooting acquaintances (fellow 1911 aficianados) who have each picked up one of these pistols. No significant complaints from the guys and both (fairly experienced 1911 guys) report good reliability and accuracy with their pistols.

I won't debate the MIM parts issue right now (we've flogged that dead horse considerably the past few years) but any forged steel 1911 is a good thing (and the quality of Brazilian steel is typically excellent). Yes, the prices of the PT 1911 are getting jacked up too much.

rellascout noted Not that a little rattle in a 1911 is a a death nail. To me this is a sign that the construction and metal hardness may not hold up over time.Hmm. All my factory Colts rattle a bit and aren't as tight as my Kimbers (or my Springfields). Metal hardness? New one for me ... good steel is either hard, or it isn't, but I've never been witness to the "hardness" of any of my pistols' steel "not holding up over time." Were you perhaps referring to MIM parts breaking?

Oh, and rellascout -- where on earth did you find a NIB Series 70 (blued, I presume) for 650 bucks? Was the the reproduction/re-issue Series 70? -- if so, the absolute cheapest I've found one out here was $799; the going price is anywhere from $819 to $869 for the blued, with the stainless anywhere from 30 to 60 bucks more.

rellascout
May 27, 2008, 02:34 PM
It was a 70 series re-issue.

Bought it right here on this forum.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=363169

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=363181

As for your other questions is that I have seen many posts by Taurus owners with 5000+ round through the pistol who notice is has loosened up in the slide to frame fit.

You can draw your own conclusions.

kentucky_smith
May 27, 2008, 02:47 PM
i picked up a nice S70 lightweight commander the other day for $600, know where there's another one for $500 (steel, satin nickel).

Colt's brand new wholesale for $638, plain Kimber is a little less. Either will hold their value better than Taurii.

Not saying that they aren't good pistols, but simple economics go against them.

ZeSpectre
May 27, 2008, 02:52 PM
Had one, really liked it except that I found out I'm not really a 1911 guy (I prefer DA/SA or DAO). Plus I'd had so many failures with other Taurus guns that I got nervous and sold this one before something did go wrong.

Sorry, too many problems experienced firsthand to have any faith in Taurus anymore.

rellascout
May 27, 2008, 03:58 PM
Perfect example of a better deal .

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=4542123#post4542123

TimboKhan
May 27, 2008, 04:23 PM
How is that a better deal? It's more expensive used than the Taurus is new and it doesn't have any of the popular modifications (namely, the beavertail) that the Taurus has. There is nothing wrong with that, but if you want a basic pistol, the Springfield GI is cheaper yet.

Wait, is it a better deal because it's a Colt? No thanks. I will keep my Taurus and continue to be very happy.

rellascout
May 27, 2008, 04:37 PM
It is better deal because it is a better pistol. It will be worth $650 today and will still be worth $650 next year. Your Taurus will not.

Everyone needs a beavertail. :banghead: That is the mentality that drives people to cheap decked out 1911s like the Taurus. You can put leather seats in a Kia but its still a Kia. All those cool upgrades on the Taurus are MIM knock off parts. The only non-mim named part are the Henie Sights. Even those are made under lic IIRC. A great example of those quality upgrades is the ambi safety that has reported to sheer right off.

I love this type of thread. People can't help but get theirselves all worked up. Please show me where anyone told you to get rid of your Taurus? People get sooooooooooo attached to their choice that they cannot see it for what it is.

The Colt is better not because it is a Colt but because the market values a Colt and the craftsmanship and materials but into their guns. It is not objective it is fact. Try selling your used Taurus for $650. That Colt will be gone within a week if not today.

tomh1426
May 27, 2008, 05:40 PM
So resale is the BIG problem??
Lets just say were buying a gun and plan on keeping it, then whats the problem?
What are the parts a "knock off" of, my series 80 is full of MIM parts, hasnt been a problem so far.
Dosent that Spartan use a cast steel frame, Isnt that a powder metal knock off?
I think people get all worked up because someone keeps pokin at em, It's getting old!
You dont like em, good for you, move on, stop trying to convince everyone they made a bad chocie.

rellascout
May 27, 2008, 05:58 PM
Why are you taking that tact. One could say the exact same thing from the other perspective. Lets flip it.

You like em, good for you, move on, stop trying to convince everyone that you made a great choice.

Resale is not the issue. Value is the issue. Resale is a factor.

tomh1426
May 27, 2008, 06:29 PM
All I know is Ive noticed you going out of your way trying to prove to people they made a bad chocie buying a Taurus and not only on this board.
You clearly dont like them so why would you be in the middle of a "PT1911 spare the flames please" thread arguing with people.
Are you board?

rellascout
May 27, 2008, 06:37 PM
No not at all. I am simply giving my opinion and sharing the knowledge I have. Would it be better if I lied?

People ask about the Taurus and I give a detailed honest opinion and assessment of the product. Nothing more. That is not a flame by any stretch.

weregunner
May 28, 2008, 03:15 AM
Figures something like this would happen.
So here's the story on the PT1911 as used by actual owners.This is just a fraction of what can be brought and it's the unvarnished truth.
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=6469.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=3200.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=898.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=2761.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=6857.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=5869.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=7011.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=4035.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=3711.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=7095.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=1783.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=1006.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=6558.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=2194.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=6311.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=6889.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net.forums/index.php?topic=4338.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=2167.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=6844.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=6909.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=2306.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=5026.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=6415.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=1430.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=2223.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index/php?topic=5959.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=2060.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=2229.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=955.0

If Soldier of Fortune magazine, Mas Ayoob,and other critical gun instructors/writers opine that the PT1911 is good, then something was done right by Taurus.

This despite "conventional wisdom" to the contrary that is not wise.

weregunner
May 28, 2008, 03:22 AM
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=351067
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=321752
Notice is in the first link from here it was requested that the flammers and bashers stay away.

Notice how that was ignored.

Disrespect is an ugly thing to do.

Old Dog
May 28, 2008, 03:25 AM
Seem to recall that in at least two of his columns/articles (in recent issues of American Handgunner ... er, could've been Guns or SWAT, too, Clint Smith proclaimed the PT-1911 as worthy. His is one opinion I'll respect over those of the anonymous posters on the internet.

Typical THR autopistol thread. Guy comes forward, praises the performance of one of his new handguns, others step up to announce that Gun X or Gun Z is a much better choice. Ah, well.

i picked up a nice S70 lightweight commander No such thing. Colt never marked any Commander Models as Series 70.

The Tourist
May 28, 2008, 03:27 AM
"No flames" ???

Welcome to the world of forum discussions.

I've heard all of the hype myself. For example, my wife owns one of the early Charter Arms Bulldogs in .44 SPL. Same one as the Son of Sam used. She loves it.

If you listened to all of the fireams pundits, you'd think the thing would be shot into dust by now. She beats the phlegm out of it, and it runs like a clock.

Now, I love Colt 1911s, I always have.

But I once owned an early stainless Colt Officers ACP. I shot 7,000 rounds of commercial combat rounds (and downloaded reloads) and the pistol was totally worn out.

I could do a big dissertation on metallurgy, manufacturing tolerances, wear factors and maintenance. However, some things are made on a Friday, and some things last forever.

rellascout
May 28, 2008, 11:16 AM
I love these types of threads. The OP did not just sing the praises of the Taurus. He challenged others to name a $700 that out performs the Taurus.

I challenge anyone to find a better 1911 with features like this, that is as reliable as this for under $700. better yet I paid under 600. I trust it with my life.

Then when people answer the question and point out other options is a flame??????????????????

I will state that the Taurus is not a horrible pistol but it is a value line type of pistol. It was a decent value when it first came out but now with the price moving closer and closer to the $600 range its appeal dims.

P.S. The Colt 80 stainless for $650 sold on another board last night. :)

SuperNaut
May 28, 2008, 11:25 AM
Does anybody know if the Taurus PT1911 is dimensionally to spec? IOW is it compatible with all 1911 after-market parts?

possum
May 28, 2008, 11:31 AM
welcome to thr.
yep sounds like you are having the same results as everyone else that i know and read reviews. everyone that i know that has one loves it. congrats and thanks for the report.

rellascout
May 28, 2008, 11:32 AM
In general I have heard that they are close to spec.

I know a lot of people have replaced the ambi safety and not had issues.

SuperNaut
May 28, 2008, 11:35 AM
Thanks rellascout.

GRIZ22
May 28, 2008, 12:13 PM
I got my PT1911 about 18 months ago. Several tousand rounds and many days of being carried later the finish is not worn, I've had zero malfunctions, and nothing has broken.

I consider it one of the best firearms bargains on the market even at the prices they are going for today.

Neckshot5seven
May 28, 2008, 12:47 PM
I have checked it with a finetooth comb , other than its beavertail cut and hammer safety, everything is in spec with Springfield G.I holes and pins and everything.

SuperNaut
May 28, 2008, 12:51 PM
So it's in spec and has a forged frame, I like what I'm hearing.

Let's talk about the slide and barrel, what do we know?

Neckshot5seven
May 28, 2008, 12:54 PM
what do you want to know I have gun on my side and a mic in my toolbox

SuperNaut
May 28, 2008, 12:59 PM
Is it a match barrel? Carbon or stainless?

How is the bushing/barrel/lug lockup?

Have you experienced any peening?

Is the slide hand-fitted to the frame?

Stuff like that.

Neckshot5seven
May 28, 2008, 01:03 PM
They hand fit the slide to the frame at the factory, there is no peening, It is a standard barrell with a 1 piece guide rod lockup is tight

SuperNaut
May 28, 2008, 01:11 PM
Would you ever consider using it as a base gun for a custom build? Do you think gunsmiths would put it on their "quality guns worthy of my effort" list?

Neckshot5seven
May 28, 2008, 01:14 PM
sure, if that was your thing. How custom do you want to go. All mainstream parts fit the gun, the sky is the limit. Cant go wrong with a forged frame.

Neckshot5seven
May 28, 2008, 01:16 PM
Oh Rellascout if you want to compare guns to cars here ya go...
If you remimber 1986 then your Vette should be very afraid of this. Do you know what a Buick GN is? This Taurus is the Buick Grand National of guns. It spanked the Vette for a lot less money.

SuperNaut
May 28, 2008, 01:18 PM
What I'm getting at is; if money were no object and you had your choice of 1911's to use as a platform for a custom build, would the PT1911 be on the short list?

This question isn't just for Neckshot either.

grimjaw
May 28, 2008, 01:20 PM
With today's economics, I don't have time nor couldn't afford to shoot 10000 rounds of .45ACP. I don't think I'd be too worried about it being worn down any time quick.

jm

rellascout
May 28, 2008, 01:34 PM
Oh Rellascout if you want to compare guns to cars here ya go...
If you remimber 1986 then your Vette should be very afraid of this. Do you know what a Buick GN is? This Taurus is the Buick Grand National of guns. It spanked the Vette for a lot less money.

Who is talking about Vettes? I am not sure where you pulled that one from? YOUR Vette??????????

The Taurus is not even close to that comparison. Not that the Vette is a epitome of cars. Its fine if you want to go fast on a straight line.

In the end the Taurus us a basic gun with pretty extras that are not well made and therefore keep it on the low end of guns. I would not use it as a base gun. You posed a question sorry you don't like my answer but you still have not given me any proof that I should change my impression of the gun.

A Norinco or even RIA are cheaper and if you are going to strip out all the parts the value of the Taurus goes down even further.

Old Dog
May 28, 2008, 01:41 PM
I would not use it as a base gun.
Why would anyone want to use the PT-1911 as a base gun? It was marketed as an entry-level 1911 with all of the typical features of a custom gun.
Has this thread simply devolved into (a) gun snobbery (Colts are better) or (b) MIM parts suck? That's where we seem to be now.

rellascout
May 28, 2008, 01:51 PM
No someone asked if it you would use it as a base for a custom build and I stated clearly no. Did you skip that post? There is nothing snobbish about saying that a Colt is a better gun then a Taurus. Its not about the name on the gun its what went into making it before the roll-mark. :)

What I'm getting at is; if money were no object and you had your choice of 1911's to use as a platform for a custom build, would the PT1911 be on the short list?

MCgunner
May 28, 2008, 02:08 PM
For that price, it comes with the farkles that I'd want. I have not had great luck with cheap 1911s in the past, a Auto Ordinance and an AMT 5" hardballer, and gave up on them, but the PT1911 seems to be getting some good reports. Thanks for this one. I'm watching 'em, still don't think I wanna be a 1911 guy anymore, but I might want one, never know. :D

Technosavant
May 28, 2008, 02:09 PM
Would you ever consider using it as a base gun for a custom build? Do you think gunsmiths would put it on their "quality guns worthy of my effort" list?

I don't know that I'd do that. The frame and slide are likely good enough, but it already has the features you'd add. Besides, I find the aesthetics somewhat wanting (compared to the rollmarks on a Springfield Milspec). If you want a base gun for a project, I'd recommend a SA GI or MilSpec, and then just build it up from there. You'd start out at the same price, and the only things the PT1911 will have that a Milspec won't (all the other parts would get swapped) would be the slide is already cut for Heinie sights and the front strap is already checkered.

My view on the PT1911 is still unchanged, even after numerous threads on numerous boards. It's a good low priced full featured 1911. If the internal MIM parts prove themselves untrustworthy, the rest of it shoots well enough that swapping the internals out isn't an issue. My guns aren't investments, they're for shooting. The PT1911 does that plenty well enough. There's better guns, but there's also worse ones. At the $500-600 range, it is a "must see" if you are shopping 1911s.

jlh26oo
May 28, 2008, 02:22 PM
What I'm getting at is; if money were no object and you had your choice of 1911's to use as a platform for a custom build, would the PT1911 be on the short list? OBviously for some (it's #1 on T.K.'s S.L.):
I wouldn't take any other 1911 over mine.

This is a longshot, but just out of curiosity does anyone happen to carry a PT 1911 AND drive a PT Cruiser? You would be the PT Meister!

saturno_v
May 28, 2008, 02:59 PM
You can put leather seats in a Kia but its still a Kia.

Actually Kias and Hyundai lately are very good cars with top notch quality control...

I trust more the reliability of a Korean car than any American car manufacturers, including Cadillac....yes I'm serious....

I can drive a 'vette to the grocery store or I can drive a neon. I get there just the same with the Neon at a much cheaper price than the 'vette.

You actually don't know if you make it to the store with a Neon..I saw these "things" literally self destruct..

Chrysler is the Jennings/Bryco of the automotive world....

rellascout
May 28, 2008, 03:14 PM
Kia's are the perfect analogy to the Taurus. That is why I used it. They are doing very well in the up to 3 year JD Power surveys but after that 3rd year they get much shakier. They start to rattle and the lack of quality in the materials and the build of the car start to show.

Sounds like the Taurus to me. :what:

Neckshot5seven
May 28, 2008, 03:23 PM
This thread has turned into what i did not want to see, but hea that is what boards are about. I would consider the Taurus PT1911 a Buick GN, not a KIA.

saturno_v
May 28, 2008, 03:26 PM
Kia's are the perfect analogy to the Taurus. That is why I used it. They are doing very well in the up to 3 year JD Power surveys but after that 3rd year they get much shakier. They start to rattle and the lack of quality in the materials and the build of the car start to show.

Sounds like the Taurus to me.

Kia & Hyundai were the first in the industry years ago to offer 5 years bumper to bumper and 10 years powertrain warranty..means they are sure about their product....the got their act together, something certain car manufacturers never do (see Chrysler)
I know several owners of relatively recent Korean cars that have long passed the 3 years mark and no rattle at all and could nto be more happy with it...
One of them had 3 road accidents (he is a bad driver :D:D:D) and still no rattles.

I had to get rid of my Chrysler 300 at a car auction because I could not sell that POS directly to someone in good faith looking the other person in the eyes.

If a Kia start to rattle at 3 years, your typical American car start to self-destruct at 2....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I apologize for the off-topic

SuperNaut
May 28, 2008, 03:30 PM
This thread has turned into what i did not want to see

I tried to turn it 'round man...

starshooter231
May 28, 2008, 03:34 PM
I absolutely love my PT1911. I have replaced the ambisafety with a Wilson and it functions flawlessly. I have had it for a month + and I have already put about 900 rounds through it, and if the weather stays nice it will get another 100-300 rounds through it this week. It has fired every thing I have put through it with ZERO problems. I trust it so much that it is my primary carry gun.

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn73/jasonmbush/carry%20rig/DSC01462.jpg (http://s301.photobucket.com/albums/nn73/jasonmbush/carry%20rig/?action=view&current=DSC01462.jpg)

rellascout
May 28, 2008, 03:42 PM
This thread has turned into what i did not want to see, but hea that is what boards are about. I would consider the Taurus PT1911 a Buick GN, not a KIA.

And you are 100% entitled to that opinion. Why am I not entitled to mine? You issued the challenge and people like me answered it now you are complaining that your thread did not go the way you wanted it.

Did you or did you not end your post with the following statement?:

I challenge anyone to find a better 1911 with features like this, that is as reliable as this for under $700. better yet I paid under 600. I trust it with my life.

I cannot believe you would make this statement and then be surprised that people disagreed with you. If you want a have a love fest over the Taurus have at it but you set yourself up for failure on this thread.

Supernut did you notice he has not answered your question with any names. Try to call Wlison, Novak, Jim West, Clyinder & Slide, Kevin Greely etc... and tell them you want to build a custom pistol on a Taurus. See what they say. He has avoided it and instead wants to cry foul. Personally I think the Taurus gets bashed because the product is inconsistent and because people like the OP want to make it out to be more than it is. I mean did anyone even look at the detailed video that was linked to earlier in the long set of links. I wish I had a $$$ for every time the guy said its pretty "good for the money". Taurus wants to compare it to $2000 pistols. It is not even close.

SuperNaut
May 28, 2008, 03:56 PM
did you notice he has not answered your question with any names.

Yeah, but I'm also purposely asking a bit of an unfair question. ;)

We all see the forged vs. cast threads on THR constantly. So here we have a forged frame 1911 for almost peanuts. Is it worse/equal/better than a Caspian cast frame? If we are only concerned about quality, does it matter what roll-mark is on the slide?

rellascout
May 28, 2008, 04:06 PM
No not at at all. I personally like used Colts for base guns. You can find them for $500 and do what you want to them.

I also love Norks for custom builds. They are built like tanks are 100% to spec even if they are rough inside. They are extremely hard steel and you are not over spending on parts you are not going to use.

If you are going with a complete custom gun I think Caspain is a good place to start. Kind of like this:

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t213/rellascout/Caspian40Area82008010.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t213/rellascout/Area8Caspian40009.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t213/rellascout/DSC00591.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t213/rellascout/DSC00589.jpg

The Gun

* Caspian Carbon Steel Frame and Slide
* Caspian Bo-Mar style rear sight
* Red Fiber Optic Front Sight
* Bar-Sto Precision Machine 40S&W Bull Barrel
* EGW Magwell
* Built by USPSA Member Kevin Greeley in Marshall, VA.

This one cost me $10. :)

mccook8
May 28, 2008, 05:08 PM
I've had my PT1911 for over a year now, have put over 2000 rounds through it, and it hasn't hiccupped once. FMJ, JHP, LSWC - doesn't matter - it eats anything.

My previous 1911 was a Colt Lightweight Commander. I like the Taurus better.

YMMV.

Old Dog
May 28, 2008, 06:30 PM
Sucked back into this thread, only because it's about 1911s ... I have no dog in this fight, because the PT-1911 is one of the few 1911s I don't own, but rellascout, I don't think Taurus was comparing its 1911 to $2000 custom guns, only saying that their pistol had all the features on it, found normally on more expensive guns. As I said before, I believe the pistol was marketed NOT to compete with $2000 pistols, but to provide an entry-level 1911 with additional features for the first-time 1911-buyer or someone who desires the extras, but can't pony up 2 or 3 grand for a semi-custom or a custom-build.

Nothing wrong with a good lovefest for a value gun. Hey, where's a good Bersa thread when you need one?

Now comes the Kia BS again? Hey, I bought a new Sportage EX for the daughter for a grad present in 2001 -- nicer leather seats that those on on my Tahoe, by the way -- but the doggone Kia still looks good, runs good, no problems in seven years.

For the record, I like my Colts stock, but for a custom gun, give me that good ol' Brazilian steel anytime ... the Springfield Armory/IMBEL.

gym
July 21, 2008, 12:14 PM
I picked up a Kel-tek pf9 a few months back, and the guy at the gun shop showed me the taurus, it looked a bit too flashy for me, and upon a general, visual examination, I decided against it. I own a Taurus revolver, so I have no bias, and I am in the market for a 1911, as I swapped mine about 6 months back, and regret it now. the reason I turned it down, "other than the price", I didn't like the feel, or the name all over the slide, it looked flashy, you know when you just get a feeling about something. By the way I have owned many Corvetts, My Porshes were better cars, over priced, but better. And my Ferrari was more expensive yet, but sucked, so the logic on comparing vechicles isn't appripriate.

XDKingslayer
July 21, 2008, 12:24 PM
but I challenge anyone to find a better 1911 with features like this, that is as reliable as this for under $700.

RIA Tactical. Got mine for $450 and it out shoots and out patterns my fathers Taurus 1911.

rellascout
July 21, 2008, 12:27 PM
http://www.amovingtrain.com/transmissions1/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/2-flames.jpg

FASTAC 6
July 21, 2008, 02:10 PM
New to this forum. Helpful thread, as I've been fixated on the idea of a 1911 to celebrate Heller, and money is a factor.
I own other Taurus pistols, and so far they've not failed to go bang when I pull the trigger.

Hoffy
July 22, 2008, 10:04 AM
I like mine, though the finish could be better. I like the figure 8 sights. From what I've read I'm glad I got a beavertail. I'll never have to agonize over getting a FLGR, since I have one. Every possible surface that someone would want chekered is already checkered. Mine had a FTF one time, but has been generally reliable. I might have to rplace the safety someday, but if that is the weak point it's not a costly or complicated fix.

If I was in the market today, I would have a tough time passing up a stainless PT1911 for under $570.

I'll probably never send a 1911 for a custom job, so I think I'm the target market for the PT1911.

Treo
July 22, 2008, 10:18 AM
, but I challenge anyone to find a better 1911 with features like this, that is as reliable as this for under $700. better yet I paid under 600.

RIA 410.00$ OTD

jlh26oo
July 22, 2008, 01:08 PM
I challenge anyone to find a better 1911 with features like this, that is as reliable as this for under $700. better yet I paid under 600.

RIA 410.00$ OTD

Stop! The challenge, as specified, requires your submission to also have features like the P.T. So the O.P. can tell us if it's allowable to include aftermarket parts with the total price (but if so, you still have $290 to work with)! Besides, I don't think he wanted you to take that challenge LITERALLY- either give up your +1, or don't respond at all (that's what "spare the flames please" means).

...I'm picturing a great shooting range in the sky, where rellascout watches those around him shoot every pistol of their dreams, and all he has is a bag full of P.T. 1911's and Made In The U.S.A. Beavertailed Sigs L.O.L. just kidding you're not going to hell for flaming the internet.

Fred40
July 22, 2008, 02:53 PM
I think it's a good gun. It was on my check list along with Colt 70 series & DW pointman seven. I ended up with a Springfield Loaded Target. I'm going to be shooting bullseye and the Springfields provide a proven platform for that purpose. (As do the Colts) I could very easily put 5000 rounds down range annually. I guy in my league shoots a PT and he his very happy with it. Have not seen him have a failure yet. Appears relatively accurate......but that does not cut it in bullseye shooting and even the Springfield Target will need some modification to make it accurate at 50 yards.

Ergosphere
July 23, 2008, 05:53 PM
Got my pt1911ss early this year, it has been flawless. The matte finish on top of the slide shows wear (%#!^ kydex holster) but the gun just works.

With proper maintenance, it will probably outlast me... and I'm not that old.

If you enjoyed reading about "PT1911 spare the flames please" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!