Ruger or Kahr?

PDA

Guns and more
May 27, 2008, 11:02 AM
Neither are available. Should I wait for the LCP or the new Kahr PM380. Or give up on the small size of the .380's and get the Kahr PM-9. (I already have a 9 so I wouldn't need a new type ammo). There's a big price difference between the Ruger and the Kahr and I suspect you get what you pay for.
No Kel-Tec thank you.
Looking for a pocket gun.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger or Kahr?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
D-Man
May 27, 2008, 11:11 AM
The Ruger is available now - the Kahr not until the summer.

The big question you'll need to answer is would you be confident in the ability of the .380 to stop somebody if needed?

ashtxsniper
May 27, 2008, 11:29 AM
Kahr beats the socks off of the LCP. Get a PM9 if you cant wait for the PM380.

ImARugerFan
May 27, 2008, 11:45 AM
Kahr beats the socks off of the LCP. Get a PM9 if you cant wait for the PM380.

Any sources for this? I can't find any info available on the PM380. From what I've read the LCP performs pretty well though.

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-LCP.htm

Or were you just making a blanket statement assuming the more expensive gun is better?

camacho
May 27, 2008, 12:05 PM
There is another review from Michael Bane, he seems to like the LCP:

http://www.downrange.tv/reviews/showproduct.php/product/1/cat/2

RustyShackelford
May 27, 2008, 12:29 PM
Kahrs are owned by the Moonie cult. :eek:

RS

Rex B
May 27, 2008, 12:50 PM
I have lots of .380s, including a new keltec.
Ruger looks nicer, but it's like holding a bar of soap after handling the Keltec. There have also been some problems reported with the LCPs. I'll keep what I have, it works.

But I do like the Kahrs. I'm shopping for a PM9, and the PM380 will be next once they become available.

jgo296
May 27, 2008, 01:01 PM
ok besides the fact that the kahr gun factory is owned by the son of "jesus reincarnated" there is still a wait left to get the gun
how about pay a bit more get your name on the waiting list for the best pocket pistol ever seecamp 380 if you dont like it you can sell it for a few hundred more than you paid after you get it

jgo296
May 27, 2008, 01:03 PM
get a seecamp you can sell it for more than you paid after shooting it

jgo296
May 27, 2008, 01:06 PM
oh and seecamp made by hand (not sure is that is as good as by the machine of the son of the son of god)
you might be able to get a rose included with the kahr
unless the quit selling them on the started selling guns

but just think the kahr is made by God's grandson

Guns and more
May 27, 2008, 01:30 PM
The Moonies used to own the Washington Times and it was still a good paper. It wouldn't keep me from buying a Kahr.
I know the LCP is for sale, but I have yet to be able to touch one. I can't bring myself to buy a gun without holding it.

jocko
May 27, 2008, 02:10 PM
moon;'s son owns kahr. I have no issues with that. They make one of the finest ccw line of guns on the market. My pm9 has 12,500 flawless rounds through itl. It is pocketable, it is lite, it is super quality, it is extremely accurate, it has one of the finest trigger systems on the market. oh and by the way it is 100% American made. I personally don't care what their religious beliefs are either, nor do I associate them with the company either. When someone throws that statement in a conversation about kahrs, rugers or what ever--well u decide, just how ignorate that is.

Now back to the ORIGINAL question. The ruger lcp is one great little handgun, it seems to work out of the box and is affordable at around $300 and under. I have a 1000 flawless rounds through my lcp. The little kahr P380 IMO is one super super little handgun. It eaks in quality all around. it is smaller then the kt or lcp but not by much, so that is a tie in my opinion. It is about 1 ounce heaver than either kt or ruger, so to me that is a tie also. It is twice as high as the kt or ruger, so that is your big decision. this P380 kahrs is also made to shoot alot and also to carry often. I can be shot until the cows come home. It has every feature of their top line PM kahrs. All stainless slide, polygonal rifled rothar barrel, dovetailed front and rear sites, nite sites will be availalbe, famous kahr trigger system, comes with an extra magazine, slide locks open on last round. Along with my Ruger lcp, I will definitely own a kahr P380.. And for those who have a booner for moon's son, that is fine to, that just moves me up a notch faster to get my P380...

Pat-inCO
May 27, 2008, 02:40 PM
Neither are available.
Well, the Ruger is available, if you want to "stand in line". That is to say the demand is far larger than the production so you will end up waiting for one to come available in your area.

Personally, I would go with the 9mm. You say you already have 9mm so it would not be a new cal. In addition, the .380 is quite a bit more expensive than a 9mm to shoot (doesn't make a lot of sense, does it - 9mm short costing more than the 9mm). Add to that, you will most likely be able to go in and pick up the one you want.

FredZiffle
May 27, 2008, 05:42 PM
Get the PM9 ...it's a 9mm and I can carry it about everywhere the P3AT can go...

fred

ashtxsniper
May 27, 2008, 05:57 PM
From what I have seen the LCP is a improved Kel-Tec. The Kahrs have a better track record for longevity.

19-3Ben
May 27, 2008, 06:07 PM
well u decide, just how ignorate that is.

And Jacko wins for humorously ironic line of the day!!!!:p

Dan-O
May 27, 2008, 10:26 PM
Kahr.

DAdams
May 27, 2008, 11:13 PM
I have a PM9 and a Seecamp 380. Like them both and carry the Seecamp more than the Kahr, that said I carry a revolver (M&P 340) more than either. :rolleyes: Is that a derailment? :scrutiny:

The only Ruger I have is a Mini-14.

jocko
May 28, 2008, 05:49 AM
No, I would call that personal "choice" Certainly nothing wrong with a wheel gun. Most all go bang every time. Personally i shoot my kahr pm9 twice as good as I could my J frame smiths..

Gunsby_Blazen
May 28, 2008, 06:16 AM
Both are Good,
I would get the LCP, but I am a biased Ruger fan.

jlh26oo
May 28, 2008, 06:51 AM
The little kahr P380 IMO is one super super little handgun. It eaks in quality all around.

Good to hear, and thanks for sharing your impressions of the P380 jocko (I was hoping it would be as nice as the PM9)! B.T.W. where did you get your hands on a P380 already?

jocko
May 28, 2008, 07:25 PM
It was the highlite of the kahr booth. They had one P380 there and it was their prototype. The tech man there told me that particular gun had over 20,000 rounds through it. Could be a "Ripleys" but knowing the quality of the kahrs, I want to believe it. They told me it willbe out in June as announced but it might be June 30th. He did say the sites on it were off of the pm9 and were bigger than what they will actually be on the P380 as they are being made for this P380 and also he said the slide stop lever was going to be more contoured also and not blocky looking on one end. It sure looks great to me and if it works as good as my PM9, then it will ride with me alot ....

kokapelli
May 30, 2008, 12:12 PM
I also have a Kahr PM9 and it's an outstanding compact gun, but the Kahr P380 is significantly smaller. If size counts, wait for the Kahr 380.

The Kahr 380 is in his right hand and the PM9 in his left hand.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j116/xbabeegurl411x/daves%20stuff/IMG_1257.jpg

Seven For Sure
May 30, 2008, 03:14 PM
I was going to say Kahr anyway but... after seeing the pic above, I say get a PM9 and a PM380. That thing looks tiny. I carry my PM9 all the time, even in my pocket in a holster sometimes, no problem.

Omaney
May 30, 2008, 03:22 PM
That little Kahr .380 looks promising. I might just give them a second chance. Wonder what the price point will be?

Omaney
May 30, 2008, 03:24 PM
Whoops! Just looked that little puppy up on the Kahr website. I'll stick with my Bersa.

kokapelli
May 30, 2008, 03:31 PM
Ha! Ha! You can't stick the Bersa where you can stick the P380-LOL.

As far as price, This is where I get most of my guns.....

http://omploader.org/vaXVu/Picture%201.png

jocko
May 30, 2008, 04:51 PM
the P380 is about half the size of the Bersa. apples and oranges. Nothing wrong with the Bersa, but give me the P380 any day.

jlh26oo
May 30, 2008, 05:41 PM
Whoops! Just looked that little puppy up on the Kahr website. I'll stick with my Bersa.

Bersa's are great. But just out of curiosity, what did you see on looking it up on the kahr website that all of a sudden made it a "whoops" moment? B/C I might be overlooking something too!

kokapelli
May 30, 2008, 06:30 PM
I have a Bersa and it's a good shooter, but both my PM9 and my PF9 are smaller and shoot a more powerfull cartridge. I don't have a picture of my PM9 and Bersa together, but my PF9 is pretty close to the PM9 in size.

http://omploader.org/vaXYw/PF9_Bersa.jpg

And My P-3AT and the Kahr P380 (same size as P-3AT) are way smaller than the Bersa and still shoot the same cartridge.

http://omploader.org/vYXFo/bersa_3at.jpg

By the way, 9mm ammo is quite a bit less expensive than 380 too.

jocko
May 30, 2008, 06:31 PM
probably the price. the kahr is not cheap. neither is life IMO

seeker_two
May 30, 2008, 06:51 PM
Kahrs are owned by the Moonie cult. :eek:

....and Ruger is owned by Yankees.....but I'd buy from either if they have a good product... :D

jocko
May 30, 2008, 07:28 PM
I was at the kahr booth numerous times at the NRA convention, seen the young moon son there talking to ANYONE who expressed interest and I guess I must have missed it cause all the kahr people were dressed in normal cloths , just like you and I wear. Sure didn't see the cult cloths. wonder what the kahr slim gal would look like in moonies cloths??? How stupid can stupid be when someone posts that crap about the moonies yadda yadda yadda. Life must be certainly dull for some, that is for sure.

jocko
May 30, 2008, 07:31 PM
your point is well taken. Personally i have zero issues with the Bersa, for the money, probably the best buy out there but certainly in no league as a pocket rocket like the kt 380, or ruger lcp or the NAA, or the new kahr P380.

Supertac45
May 30, 2008, 08:10 PM
I'd get the Ruger.

str8t shootr
May 31, 2008, 02:27 PM
PM9 is a great gun and is as small as most men can fit in their hands.

jocko
May 31, 2008, 03:09 PM
My pmrides in my front pocket 24/7. don't even know it is there. and oh yes it goes bang every time to. great gun--just great.

Owlnmole
June 1, 2008, 04:17 AM
RustyShackelford

Ruger
Kahrs are owned by the Moonie cult.

jgo296

ok besides the fact that the kahr gun factory is owned by the son of "jesus reincarnated"...

To echo Jocko's opinion, since when is it cool or funny to make bigoted comments about someone's religion? Yes, Justin Moon is the son of Reverend Moon and a member of his father's church.

A lot of people on this group get excited about potential government infringement, or private efforts to lobby the government to infringe, the Second Amendment of the Constitution. Apparently some of our members have skipped over the First Amendment, which enshrines freedom of religion as a guiding principle of our nation as well.

Justin Moon is a gifted designer and Kahr makes fine pistols. I have nothing against Ruger, who make great inexpensive large autos, but if I wanted a pocket pistol I'd go to the pocket pistol experts, which certainly describes Kahr.

Me, I'd wait for the PM380.

8x57mm
June 1, 2008, 01:51 PM
Kahr makes the smoothest DAO trigger out there. "Like a ball bearing on glass." I've heard it described, and can't say it better. So smooth in fact, that here in the People's Republic of Massachusetts, Kahr cannot sell their wonderful pistols... even though they make them here. They do not meet the (thankfully former and never to be heard from again) Mass AG Tom Reilly's random, contrived, illegal, and immoral 7lb trigger pull dicatate.

Go with the Kahr. Any of them.

JR

MCgunner
June 1, 2008, 02:04 PM
Well, if I were going to buy one now, I'd get a Kel Tec. I'll wait til all the bugs are out of the Ruger and it is in good supply. I suspect the Kahr will be out of the price range I'd consider it as their other models are for me. I'm sure it'll be a good gun if you don't mind the price, but I'd let 'em get the bugs out of that one, too. I don't wanna be a test bed for troubles. I've heard plenty of Kahr problem stories just like anything else. I don't like buying anything in its first year of production.

Actually, for pocket carry, longer a a trigger's DA travel the better for me. I prefer 8 lbs or better, too. Safety first. Stuff happens. I'm no beginner at DA shooting. I can handle a longish heavy trigger if it's smooth. Amazing how light a 13 lb revolver trigger can feel in the heat of the moment, too.

Lobotomy Boy
June 1, 2008, 09:26 PM
I considered waiting for a Kahr, but ran across a decent deal on a LCP. So far it's been a solid, reliable gun that shoots surprisingly well for such a small autoloader. I'm glad I got the Ruger instead of the Kahr. I'm sure the Kahr is good, but it will likely cost twice what I paid for the Ruger and I can't imagine it's twice as good a gun.

Rootabager
June 1, 2008, 09:43 PM
at the nra show they said the kahr would be 650 msrp.

Owlnmole
June 2, 2008, 09:49 AM
The P380 list price on the Kahr web site is in fact $649. A very unscientific study (checking the prices of a few Kahrs at Bud's Gun Shop) shows about a 22% mark down from list MSRP, so street price should be around $500 or so.

IMHO, considering the very few, and fairly rare, high-end .380s on the market, I think Kahr would be better off offering a CW380. The budget, no frills CW line is quite a bit cheaper than the other models, with the CW9 list MSRP at $533 and Bud's retail at $388. I think they'd sell a lot more .380s at that price.

Bubbaman
April 16, 2009, 03:41 PM
I'm an FFL dealer. Of all the micro .380s, the Kahr is my pick period! I've had Ruger, Kel-Tec (like the Kel-Tec better than Ruger), Seecamp, and Kahr. The Kahr is much softer shooting than the others, and is very accurate for a pocket pistol.

jocko
April 16, 2009, 06:39 PM
$550 for my kahr p380,have 450 flawless rounds through it, If u have a PM9, this gun is its miniatrue twin. Trigger system is just as smooth asthe big kahrs to, never shot a nicer 380 NEVER. apples and oranges between the kahrs and kt's for sure but there is a price difference, but there certainly is a world of difference in quality also witht he kahrs over the kt's.

U get what u pay for, Kt's will go bang to , if that is all u desire. The Bersa is just to big for a 380 but again the Bersa is a darn nice shootin gun to. Would make a super range and home gun for sure, but If I was going to carry a bersa, I would buy the PM9 no doubt.

I have had 3 kt's (no longer own them) and one lcp with 1550 rounds through it and it goes bang every time, and now my P380. No doubt it is my favorite of the 380's in every aspect. The over all quality of the gun warrants the price IMO..

No doubt the kahr P380 will not be for eveyone, if price is ur sole criteria, don't even look at any kahr then..

ScareyH22A
April 16, 2009, 08:12 PM
The PM9 isn't exactly large. I can pocket carry it in tight jeans. Anyways... 9mm>.380 all day long.

marcodo
April 17, 2009, 09:55 AM
Love my LCP. Perfect for pocket carry. Sounds like the Kahr is a step up in quality but at double the cost I can't believe its double the gun

shaggy430
April 17, 2009, 10:12 AM
I have a Kahr CW9. Saying that, if I were you I'd get the Ruger.

PX15
April 17, 2009, 10:28 AM
JMOfartO:

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a73/Laserlips/100_0145_01.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a73/Laserlips/100_8017.jpg

Well, I'm prejudiced, as I'm a dedicated Seecamp fan, but I would say of the two Kahr/Ruger pistols you are considering I would have to go with the Ruger simply because, hopefully, they have most of the bugs out of the KelTec P3AT clone by now, and the Kahr, being a new design is more likely to have teething issues for a while until all of the early buyers, (and beta testers), find them for Kahr..

New model anythings are likely to have problems, be it guns, cars or that trophy wife you wanted for so long, and now wonder why.. :D

Just personal opinion, no offense to Kahr lovers.

Jesse

WRGADog
April 17, 2009, 09:59 PM
These are really good guns, easy to conceal, very accurate, and light weight. The P380 weighs so little you really forget you are carrying the gun. These are my two favorite pocket pistols and I highly recommend them over the LCP. My brother has an LCP and I am reasonably familiar with the gun. The Kahr is much higher quality IMO.

chainsawmike
April 18, 2009, 01:14 AM
IMHO Ruger.

hinton03
April 18, 2009, 04:47 AM
I love my K9 and when the time comes for a pocket 380 I will dance with the girl that introduced me to the compact auto world.

Mags
April 18, 2009, 03:24 PM
Neither

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger or Kahr?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!