Cheap surplus ammo & reloading

PDA

telewinz
August 20, 2003, 08:19 PM
Do to the cheap surplus ammo thats been available for the past several years, how much has your reloading been reduced? Its almost to the point that I may stop reloading the 223 when my supply of bullets and powder are used up. I no longer load for the 8mm Mauser, 308 Winchester, 7.62X54 Russian and the 7.62X39 and although I have dies and components for about 20 other calibers I pretty much fullfill my shooting enjoyment with these four calibers and the 223. Target shooting is still a reloading requirement.

If you enjoyed reading about "Cheap surplus ammo & reloading" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
FireInTheHole
August 20, 2003, 08:45 PM
Reloading for 7.62/3.08 just isnt cost effective when you can (or could) buy 1000 rnds of surplus for less than $150.

Walk Softly
August 20, 2003, 09:27 PM
Considering that brass is the major portion of the cost of a round, and reloading allows reuse of that portion of the cost, I just can't bring myself to stock up on Berdan primed surplus. Shoot it once and it's gone! There may come a time when the surplus isn't available any more and new ammunition will be prohibitively expensive or tightly regulated and I'm ready for that eventuality now, by virtue of being a reloader with adequate stocks of brass, and expendable reloading components.

Preacherman
August 20, 2003, 10:23 PM
It applies to handgun ammo as well... with 9mm. ball available for 10c per round or less, I don't bother to reload handgun ammo. much anymore. Still have the equipment, but my time is worth more to me than reloading when bulk purchases are so cheap.

Okiecruffler
August 21, 2003, 12:41 AM
I bought a set of 8mm dies a few years back, but haven't even taken them out of the box yet. And I don't plan on it until I can't get those $5 bandoliers of turk ammo any more.

C.R.Sam
August 21, 2003, 01:30 AM
Surplus for fun.
Handloads for serious.

Pistol rounds from .32 through 45 cost us bout a nickle a round.
But, shoot nuff that componants are purchased in bulk.

Sam

mattd
August 21, 2003, 07:17 AM
Ammo will only get cheaper.

CZ-100
August 21, 2003, 08:47 AM
No reloading for Me. Just do not have the time and everything I shoot is Cheap.

Monte Harrison
August 21, 2003, 08:49 AM
Ammo will only get cheaper. Especially if the import ban on Chinese guns and ammo ever gets repealed!

If you enjoyed reading about "Cheap surplus ammo & reloading" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!