Beretta Cheetah - Slide Tough to Rack

PDA

BigRugerLover
May 28, 2008, 12:52 AM
Just got my Beretta 84F, love everything about it but racking the slide. Aside from going to the gym more often, is there anything I can do about it?

This is my first post, but I've been reading you guys for a couple of years. You've get the best site out there. Thanks for all the info.

BRL

If you enjoyed reading about "Beretta Cheetah - Slide Tough to Rack" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
1911Tuner
May 28, 2008, 06:19 AM
Nope. It's a straight blowback design, and thus relies largely on the strength of the action/recoil spring to keep the breech from opening too early.

Small pistol...so it's tough to get a grasp on. Cocking the hammer before rackin' the slide will negate the mainspring's effect...which will help a little.

Ltlabner
May 28, 2008, 09:24 AM
I have a Beretta 85.

Same issue.

It gets a little better over time, but not by much.

I'll rack the slide on the G23 a bazillion times in a row doing dry fire practice, then try to rack the slide on the B85 and barely be able to get it back.

Marshall
May 28, 2008, 09:40 AM
I have a Browning BDA .380, same thing. Hard as heck to rack. It loosens up over time but not a lot. Great gun though. You'll enjoy it anyway. Just practice racking it different ways, you'll find the best method for you.

Pilot
May 28, 2008, 09:51 AM
I have a Beretta M85FS which is the single stack version of the 84. I will echo what others have said. Cock the hammer manually before racking the slide. It helps a lot. It will get a little better with time and break in. I don't find racking the slide that hard to do, but again, I cock the hammer first.

usp9
May 28, 2008, 10:28 AM
I can only add that you might try one of the three general ways to grip the slide when racking...
Thumb and index finger from the rear and pull,
Hand on top, between the sights, gripping serations and push with both hands,
And third, thumb and index finger on the front of the slide in the indent and again push with both hands.

One method may work better for you. An excellent choice in pistol, and well worth the effort. It should last several lifetimes.

BigRugerLover
May 28, 2008, 01:28 PM
Thanks a lot guys. Just what I was looking for.

BRL

If you enjoyed reading about "Beretta Cheetah - Slide Tough to Rack" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!