.22LR autos for SD practice?

PDA

mr.72
May 28, 2008, 01:07 PM
hey-

I am considering a .22LR autoloader to use for practice for myself and my family. Not looking for something for a hobby, but practice applicable to SD handguns that we have or will likely have in the house (compact and sub-compact 9mm). So looks like the Ruger Mk3 are out, but maybe a S&W 22A? Firestorm 22LR? Any other good choices?

Again I am not looking for a "target pistol" or something used for a sport in and of itself. Just a tool for practice learning trigger control, point of aim, sight acquisition, etc. without spending a small fortune on ammo.

If you enjoyed reading about ".22LR autos for SD practice?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
creekerdoug
May 28, 2008, 01:14 PM
The S&W 22A is good solid choice. It is durable and much, much easier to take down and clean than a Ruger. I don't know anything about your third choice.

You are wise to use a .22 for an entry level practice gun.

johnson_n
May 28, 2008, 01:19 PM
Youre not going to get the sound, muzzle flash, muzzle flip, etc like you would with your HD gun.

OMGWTFBBQ
May 28, 2008, 01:26 PM
There are also a few options for SD suitable guns that have .22lr conversions available for them. CZ puts out their Kadet kit, there are a few different .22lr conversion available for 1911 type pistols, a couple out there for Glocks, and probably a few others.

Mad Magyar
May 28, 2008, 01:26 PM
Again I am not looking for a "target pistol" or something used for a sport in and of itself. Just a tool for practice learning trigger control, point of aim, sight acquisition, etc. without spending a small fortune on ammo.
Sounds like a good idea...I can't recommend a .22LR autoloader since the last 2 I've owned were "jamomatics". In revolvers, you can accomplish the same thing and have less trouble in terms of reliable shooting...

Pilot
May 28, 2008, 01:29 PM
A .22LR is a great practice and plinking tool as well as a great target round. I use my Ruger MK II's for this as well as a CZ-75B with .22 Kadet Kit installed for practice.

mr.72
May 28, 2008, 01:48 PM
I guess I should add to my list: Sig Mosquito, Walther P22 ... FWIW my wish list includes a Sig P6, a Kahr CW9, and I have a S&W SW9VE. if I get a CW9, the S&W will stay home for HD... so something with the feel of a medium frame poly auto would be good. If I get a Sig P6 then it will be the HD gun and the Sig Mosquito makes a whole lot of sense as a practice tool. Of course considering the $300+ price tags of these, it makes me wonder if it's not false economy. Maybe $100 on a metal-slide blowback airsoft pistol would be better in the long run.

AdamSean
May 28, 2008, 09:15 PM
If you are considering using a 9mm for the real thing, I would buy a Glock and then buy the .22lr conversion barrel for the practicing. I am considering a Sig Mosquito for .22lr practice.

Confederate
May 28, 2008, 10:07 PM
No one makes a good, small pocket size .22LR that's reliable. You can find some Walthers and Berettas that come in .22LR, but they're a bit on the expensive side. Of course, I believe that the .22LR is a more-than-adequate home defense round. I have a 10/22 rifle with a Ramline stock and a 25-round magazine. I also have complete confidence in any Ruger .22LR pistol, though I would stop short of recommending a revolver.

If you enjoyed reading about ".22LR autos for SD practice?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!