Trading Post Suggestion

PDA

VHinch
May 28, 2008, 08:44 PM
Is it time to place restrictions on the use of the trading post? A lot of forums require a certain number of posts in the rest of the forum before you can start a thread in the classifieds. We have never done that here, but I wonder if maybe we should. It seems like a lot more new members are popping up just for classifieds use, and the inevitable problems are arising. (See the Magnum Carry threads in Handguns). The plus side would be that by only allowing active, productive members to use the trading posts you would in theory would remove some headaches, but the con would be that it would be time consuming to moderate. On 1911forum.com for example, you are required to have 45 (I think) posts to start a thread, and it does seem like the mods there spend a lot of time editing and deleting posts that violate that rule.

Thoughts?

If you enjoyed reading about "Trading Post Suggestion" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
kingpin008
May 28, 2008, 09:36 PM
Personally, I don't think it's necessary. One of the reasons I like THR so much is because it's relatively rule-free, as long as you remember to be civil to one another. The M1911.org forum was great, until I got tired of being yelled at for saying things like "crap" one too many times.

As far as the buying/selling/trading aspect - I figure that if I'm going to be doing business with someone, I'm going to check them out as thoroughly as I can regardless of their post count. A fella with 2,000 or more posts is just as capable of ripping me off as a guy with 5 posts. It should come down to due diligence - if you don't feel comfortable dealing with the person, don't deal with them.

Bushwhacker
May 28, 2008, 09:43 PM
+1 I agree with Kingpin008
Why change the rules now, seems they have worked fine all this time......:rolleyes:

Mal H
May 28, 2008, 09:48 PM
... not to mention the fact that there's no way to implement the suggestion. We have no code that allows a member to use a forum if and only if that member has X number of posts. I'm sure a hack could be written, but we aren't going to actively pursue it.

VHinch
May 28, 2008, 10:07 PM
Roger that. Just thought I'd suggest it.

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Trading Post Suggestion" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!