Getting more confident with my Steyr as a CCW.

PDA

ugly old guns
May 29, 2008, 01:48 AM
A couple of months ago I was having major trust issues with my Steyr ma1 in .40. The gun itself worked perfectly, but I couldn't hit at 12 yards with any repeatability at all. Some 10 ring, half off the paper . Most shots trending left, but a total shotgun pattern. I didn'tshoot it for a monthand a half, and was about to sell it for money for a cz or 1911, maybe a used Sig.
Today, i went to the range again, and started making minute changes to my stance, my grip, and my trigger pull. The range had other users, (Dept.of Conservation), so I had to stand 25 yards from the target.
Here's what I found. When using the outermost tip, or pad , of my trigger finger, I could not hit the target at all. When I switched to the first joint, closest to the tip of the finger, all twelve went into a twelve inch circle. So, here are my questions for you guys and gals:
1. Are my hands too big for this gun? It feels like it was made for my hand, but that may not indicate how I can shoot it.
2. What can I work at next to improve the human factor in shooting?
3. Do you have any recommendations for books which can help me learn effective pistol shooting?

I want to keep this weapon, as it was the first I bought for myself. But, the safety of my person and my family is so much more important.
By the way, the ammo used was 155 grain Winchester Ranger JHP.

If you enjoyed reading about "Getting more confident with my Steyr as a CCW." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Patrick Henry
May 29, 2008, 09:25 PM
I only shot this gun at a range once, but I loved it. People ridicule the weird trapezoid shaped sights but I liked them. I don't know if it was due to the sights or the grip angle or what, but I was very accurate with it. Despite being a .40 the muzzle flip was not too bad, more akin to a 9mm which is perhaps due to the very acute grip angle. Like you I also thought it fit my hand excellently.

If you can't shoot it accurately and comfortably then I guess you should get something else. The trigger is not heavy, about like a Glock, so not sure why your accuracy is affected by trigger pull. But I really don't know much about shooting technique. Personally I think it's a great pistol, I would have bought one if I could have found one somewhere for sale -- they aren't too common.

If you enjoyed reading about "Getting more confident with my Steyr as a CCW." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!