Looking for a Quote (25 automatic)

PDA

deolexrex
May 30, 2008, 11:40 AM
I'm looking for a quote about carrying a 25 automatic.

something like...

never carry a 25 automatic because if you do...

A little help?

If you enjoyed reading about "Looking for a Quote (25 automatic)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
deolexrex
May 30, 2008, 11:41 AM
I think it might be Jeff Cooper.

deolexrex
May 30, 2008, 11:42 AM
... or is it Clint Smith?

Biker
May 30, 2008, 11:48 AM
...because if you shoot a man with it, he might get mad.

Biker

Hawk
May 30, 2008, 11:49 AM
Not sure if this is the right one - nothing about carrying the thing, only use as an inhaler:

We hear of an unfortunate woman who, during a nighttime asthma attack, confused the small handgun she kept under her pillow with an asthma inhaler and proceeded to relieve her symptoms. It was not a fatal mistake, partly because she used a 25 ACP, which everyone knows is not sufficient to clear sinuses.

deolexrex
May 30, 2008, 11:50 AM
...because if you shoot a man with it, he might get mad.

if he notices...

that's the one

anyone have the full quote?

mhdishere
May 30, 2008, 12:42 PM
It was Jeff Cooper. The full quote (as close as I can get from memory anyway) goes:

By all means carry a .25 if it makes you feel better, but under no circumstances should you load it, because if you load it you may shoot someone with it, and if you shoot someone with it, and they realize it, they may become dangerously annoyed at you.

deolexrex
May 30, 2008, 12:44 PM
That's very, very close. Thanks!

DoubleTapDrew
May 30, 2008, 12:49 PM
As we used to teach in the spook business, carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it you may shoot it. If you shoot it you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody - and he finds out about it - he may be very angry with you.

Jeff Cooper
From Jeff Cooper's Commentaries
Vol. 4, No. 14
December 1996

deolexrex
May 30, 2008, 12:51 PM
Ding, ding, ding, ding, ding!

We have a winner!

Thank you very much!

usp9
May 30, 2008, 03:03 PM
That particular quote does nothing for Jeff Cooper's reputation, IMHO.

deolexrex
May 30, 2008, 03:23 PM

How so?

Rex B
May 30, 2008, 03:44 PM
"As we used to teach in the spook business, carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it you may shoot it. If you shoot it you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody - and he finds out about it - he may be very angry with you."

http://www.molonlabe.net/Commentaries/jeff4_14.html

FEG
May 30, 2008, 04:13 PM
In the book, not the movie, Goldfinger carries a Colt .25 ACP pocket pistol. He says something to the effect of "you have to aim at the eyeball and not miss, but of course, I never do..."

Confederate
May 30, 2008, 04:40 PM
For two years, I searched newspaper and other media accounts regarding people shooting other people in legitimate self defense. I saw literally dozens of stories about people, male and female, young and old, who not only successfully used these tiny .25s, but who killed the bad guys in the process. I recall thinking many times, this guy was shot only once by a .25 and died?!

Now these weren't cops engaging professional bad guys, and I'm sure that had a lot to do with it, but people using guns in surprise situations. And though I think Cooper was trying to make more of a point than in offering what was to him good advice, I believe he was just being mule-headed.

A Beretta 950 has eight or nine rounds and can be fired very quickly. A bad guy would have to face a hail storm of bullets if he were up against a determined citizen.

Some looked down their noses at the Beretta 70S .22LR autoloader. They said, practice with it but use the .380 version for defense. Actually, my preference would be for the .22LR model. Twenty-twos have enough energy to get into a body, but not enough to escape it. Thus, they can do tremendous damage. Many inner city doctors can tell you that finding the entry wound is easy; finding the actual bullet is difficult.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh198/jriler/Beretta950_1.jpg

Nine rapid-fire shots from this small pistol is more than enough
to dissuade an intruder or robber.

DoubleTapDrew
May 30, 2008, 05:03 PM
Any of those mouseguns will kill you dead with a proper hit. The biggest concern is how long it'll take for him to expire and what he will do between now and then, especially the ones that are on drugs and feeling no pain.

Supertac45
May 30, 2008, 08:29 PM
I wouldn't want to rely on one.

Leanwolf
May 30, 2008, 08:51 PM
I knew two different women who used .25 ACP pistols to save their lives. One used her Colt's 1908 .25 ACP and the other used her Beretta.

One bad guy died, the other was badly wounded and was later arrested in the E.R. of a hospital in Los Angeles.

Yes, I depend on larger calibers and advocate same... but those two women were saved because they had those .25s when they needed protection desparately.

FWIW.

L.W.

DAdams
May 30, 2008, 09:09 PM
Step up to a Seecamp .32, high quality, larger hole. :D

Z71
May 31, 2008, 12:05 AM
Shoot into a junked out car door with a .22 pistol and a .25 auto sometime. You may be surprised at the .25 auto's penetration!

usp9
May 31, 2008, 02:15 PM
Quote:

deolexrex asked,
How so?

Perhaps the context was meant to be in jest only but, it still remains an extremely irresponsible and inaccurate comment, far beneath his knowedge and experience level. It's something a 19 year old ninja would say.

seeker_two
May 31, 2008, 02:27 PM
Important thing to remember is that American ammo tends to be loaded undepowered for SD use. Use a good Euro brand FMJ (Fiocci or S&B), and you'll be surprised at how well a half-dozen .25ACP's to the face can penetrate and ruin a BG's day.... :scrutiny:

makarovnik
June 1, 2008, 12:33 AM
.25acp rocks! The only thing I don't like about the small berettas is they do not have an extractor. Otherwise, the 950 rocks also.

If you enjoyed reading about "Looking for a Quote (25 automatic)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!