New old rifle dillemma

PDA

wulfbyte
May 30, 2008, 04:11 PM
I wandered into my local pawn establishment, just to see if there was something interesting and I think I have fallen into a trap. I was offered a deal on a Izhevsk M38 with a bright bore and good rifling, and a .300 Savage, also with very little wear, very slight scuffs on the stock and a good bore. Separately, the prices on both go up, $450 for the Savage, $125 for the M-N.

I know how silly it is to ask here, as I already know the overwhelming answer will be to buy both now, but I would appreciate any helpful words to make me feel better about what I know I will end up buying in the next 24 hours anyway. I could, if I really stretch myself, afford this deal, and both rifles are on my list of ones to add to my growing gun cabinet, so how badly could I come out this?

If you enjoyed reading about "New old rifle dillemma" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Chipperman
May 30, 2008, 04:22 PM
Does the M38 come with accessories and is it all-matching?
If yes, then it's an OK deal. $110 or less would be better.
If no, then I'd prolly pass. They are still easily available.

What model is the Savage? It could be worth anywhere from $200 to over $500.

wulfbyte
May 30, 2008, 04:59 PM
just the the bolt and receiver match, no accessories at all, the Savage is a 99R - and I forgot to mention, the deal for both together is a flat $500

Chipperman
May 30, 2008, 05:37 PM
My understanding is that the Savage 99R is a pretty pricey gun. Sounds like a good deal on that. The M38 is not such a good deal.

If you can get the Savage for <$450, I think I'd snap it up, but pass on the M38. If you can only get a deal by buying both, then it's still an OK deal.

wulfbyte
May 30, 2008, 05:47 PM
Well that pretty much clinches the deal then. I have been wanting a Savage 99 for a long time as well as adding a M38 to my stable. After I pay the man I'll see about getting some pic's up.

Update - as it turns out I was incorrect on the model - it is a 99F, brass(?) trigger, brass follower, case hardened lever, jeweled bolt, tang safety, missing the rear sight and mounted with an unmarked scope in Weaver 1" rings, SN 1040xxx in .300 Savage - $400 maybe wasn't so bad a deal yes?

If you enjoyed reading about "New old rifle dillemma" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!