Place to get a basic Saiga conversion done?

PDA

Nolo
May 31, 2008, 11:30 PM
I'm gonna get a rifle here soon, and I was wondering where the best place to get a basic conversion done is. Is there such a place? Or should I try and check locally?

If you enjoyed reading about "Place to get a basic Saiga conversion done?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
nalioth
May 31, 2008, 11:36 PM
I imagine that your car is hogging the place to do it.

Nolo
May 31, 2008, 11:40 PM
Heheheh...
I was just wondering.
I'm surprised people haven't really entered the basic conversion business. I haven't seen what FBMG is doing, but I think it's similar to what Tromix does.

chris in va
May 31, 2008, 11:55 PM
Absurdly easy to do yourself. I just did mine. Just need a couple tools and the right parts.

marriedguy1
May 31, 2008, 11:57 PM
What is a "basic" conversion? I mean what parts are you looking at or does it depend on your taste?

Starship1st
June 1, 2008, 12:20 AM
Do the conversion yourself you will be glad you did.:cool:

Nolo
June 1, 2008, 12:21 AM
Awright. I guess so. I just don't trust myself sometimes.

nalioth
June 1, 2008, 12:34 AM
What is a "basic" conversion?

This is a "basic" conversion:

http://www.novarata.net/abrams/saiga556/1024/saiga556_662.JPG

brighamr
June 1, 2008, 12:37 AM
Do it yourself. You get to pick specific parts for you, and save some dough. It is veeeerrryyy easy.

Deer Hunter
June 1, 2008, 12:38 AM
Nolo,

Based on all your other posts, you take firearm design seriously. That's good. So do I.

As a child of the lego generation, I took advantage of any building piece set toys that I could get my hands on. Contrux, Kennex, Legos, and so on. Right now my current love is building and messing with firarms.

I enjoyed converting my saiga. It made me appreciate the simplicity of the AK design. I've posted pictures of my converted saiga, which I consider very bone-stock conversion, numerous times. Here's one of the pics floating around, without the POSP scope.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x91/Captain_Kennedy/DSC03737-1.jpg

I was 18 when I did the conversion a year ago. I used a dremel, a pair of needle-nose plyers, and a small hammer and punch set. I had help tapping the trunnion for a bullet guide, just because I'd never done anything like that before. But again, not a hard thing to do.

Nolo
June 1, 2008, 12:46 AM
Sounds like the way to go.
It'll probably be the first project I do.
God willing there's no ban.
Of course, I might do it anyway.

chupacabrah
June 1, 2008, 11:47 AM
Here is mine:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y132/suboverlordjon/Guns/Saiga/Conversion/DSC02927.jpg

I am VERY glad I did it myself. it really was not hard to do, I just kind of went through the write up and did it step by step.
Bullet guide from dinzagarms.com
I got a lot of other stuff from tapco

one thing--I wish I'd gotten the Nato length stock, instead of the warsaw length. it's a little too short for me.

you wont regret doing it yourself, just take your time!

If you enjoyed reading about "Place to get a basic Saiga conversion done?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!