NEW line of Scopes - OSPREY INTERNATIONAL

PDA

INSANECANE
June 2, 2008, 01:36 PM
Hi all,

We recently bought into a brand new line of scopes by Osprey International. These things are AWESOME! Here's a little bit of info on them.....

Rings and flip up lense caps are included with all scopes. Made by OSPREY INTERNATIONAL, and backed by a no B.S. full lifetime warranty. :D

-Each modle is entirely unique and custom to Osprey
-Built in the only US owned and managed facility in China.
-Only Chinese 'labor' is utilized, not chinese parts.
-Imported 3M two-part epoxies used un all bonding applications
-Imported hermetic grease used for superior waterproof and fog-proof performance
-Optical components imported from Hoya of Japan for image quality higher than anything available in China
-100% (not 85 or 90% like with the competition) of the units are fully inspected to ensure quality
-Recoil tesed at 50BMG parameters
-Waterproof tested at 25cm/40 degrees C for 3 minutes
-Fog-proof tested at -20 degrees C for 30 minutes and removed to ambient (must be completely clear in 2 minutes to pass inspection
-Each scope is 'spin-centered' tested before leaving the factory
-Each scope has dual glass lenses
-Inside of each body tube is specially treated w/ antireflective paint and several light stops added to reduce internal reflections and provide a high-contrast image.

Here is a pic of one of them.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i22/INSANECANES/OSPREY/5-29-08/Picture050.jpg

NOW is the time to get one or two......
SCOPES.............. Description.................................................................................................. MSRP...... Our Price
DSMD.................. Multi dot holographic sight............................................................................64.95..........54.95
DSMR................... Multi reticle holographic sight........................................................................64.95..........54.95
CP394215............ Compact Illuminated Rubber AR - Flat top 3-9x42.........................................149.95........119.95
CPAR394215........ Compact Illuminated Rubber AR - Carry Handle 3-9x42.................................149.95........119.95
SD31250IMD........ Standard 3-12x50 (I) Illuminated (MD) Mildot reticle 30mm tube - Black..........139.95........111.95
SDS31250IMD....... Standard 3-12x50 (I) Illuminated (MD) Mildot reticle 30mm tube - Silver..........139.95........111.95
SD31250IRF.......... Standard 3-12x50 (I) Illuminated (RF) Range finder reticle 30mm tube - Black..144.95.........115.95
SD432DP.............. Standard 4x32 (DP) Duplex reticle 1 tube - Black.............................................49.95.........39.95
SD31256IS............ Standard 3-12x50 (I) Illuminated (S) Sniper reticle 1 tube - Black....................129.95........103.95
SD3940IS.............. Standard 3-9x40 (I) Illuminated (S) Sniper reticle 1 tube - Black..................... 129.95.........103.95
SDS3940IS............ Standard 3-9x40 (I) Illuminated (S) Sniper reticle 1 tube - Silver.....................134.95.........107.95
TA251040IMD....... Tactical 2.5-10x40 (I) Illuminated (MD) Mildot reticle 30mm tube - Black.........179.95.........143.95
TA4165IMD.......... Tactical 4-16x50 (I) Illuminated (MD) Mildot reticle 30mm tube - Black........... 179.95.........143.95
TA62450IMD........ Tactical 6-24x50 (I) Illuminated (MD) Mildot reticle 30mm tube - Black............189.95.........151.95
TA62450IRF......... Tactical 6-24x50 (I) Illuminated (RF) Range finder reticle 30mm tube - Black....199.95.........158.95
TA104050IRF........ Tactical 10-40x50 (I) Illuminated (RF) Range finder reticle 30mm tube - Black..249.95.........199.96
PS2732S............... Pistol Scope 2-7x32 (S) Sniper reticle 1 tube - Black........................................79.95...........63.95
PS432S................. Pistol Scope 4x32 (S) Sniper reticle 1 tube - Black............................................79.95..........63.95

MOUNTS.............. Description.................................................................................................. MSRP...... Our Price
M-AR.................. Carry Handle Mount for AR-15...................................................................... 16.95.......12.95
M-PTR................ AR-15 Tri Rail.............................................................................................. 19.95........15.95
M-AK................. AK Tri Rail................................................................................................... 19.95........15.95
M-SKS................. SKS Tri Rail.................................................................................................. 19.95........15.95
M-PS................... Rail Mount for Pistols................................................................................... 19.95........15.95

Contact us for more info or pics. I hope to have pics of each up on our site in the next day or two.

Thanks for looking,

If you enjoyed reading about "NEW line of Scopes - OSPREY INTERNATIONAL" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dgsamsoil
June 6, 2008, 11:32 PM
I have seen these twice now, both at the NRA convention in Louisville and at the last Indy 1500 show. The guys say they are affiliated with AimSHOT, divison of Prestige Law Enforcement, Inc. out of Georgia.

The specs they were professing are exactly as listed above, and seem to be impressive at that price point.

Although I've tried and tried, I've never found a "bargain" on a scope, and have come to believe that in optics more so than anything else, you typically get what you pay for. But these scopes looked to be well built and are certainly packaged nicely.

I was unable to really get a feel for them at either show as they were not mounted to anything, nor did I have anything to compare to. They guys at the Indy 1500 (different guys from the NRA convention) also had some NC Star scopes they were liquidating to make room for these. I couldn't help notice some STRONG similarities in the scope housing in a couple of models.

If I recall correctly, the "Tactical" models have 1/8 MOA adjustments, while the others had 1/4. Quite a few had 30mm tubes. They are certainly priced attractively for the features.

Does anyone have any actual hands on experience with one and if so, what are your thoughts? If possible, please compare with something.

Thanks,

DG

carrottop432
July 28, 2008, 11:56 PM
I bought one at the last gun show in my area just to give it a whirl and I have to say that I'm impressed so far. My 45-70 killed the BSA 3-9x40 that was on it, so I replaced it with the Osprey 4-16x50 and fired 20 rounds with it. I then purchased an Armalite AR-50 (which fires the BMG) and didn't have a scope for it, so I threw the Osprey on top and have fired 15 rounds so far and she's still working fine. My only complaint is that the knobs to adjust the scope don't always want to work. Usually pecking on them prior to turning them seems to do the trick. The illuminated reticle is SWEET! I'm going to purchase the 10-40x50 soon!

elffir
August 12, 2008, 03:06 PM
I was skeptical mainly due to the price for what they promise, but I'm more than satisfied. I figured I would buy the 4x32 and mount it on my Ruger 10/22 - ordered from Insanecanes off of Gun Broker for $35, which included rings and shipping. The rings are cheap, but I didn't expect much. Optics are clear, turrets are crisp, overall very solid feel. It did fine on the 10/22 - so I mounted it on my Colt 9mm AR, which I'll try this weekend. I wanted to try it out before I decide if I want to take a chance on a more expensive model. So far I'd say it's hard to beat it when one considers the price for the features...that's not considering free rings and free shipping.

usp_fan
August 12, 2008, 11:17 PM
Um, anyone else find it odd that all the comments concerning these scopes are from brand new members? I kinda feel like I'm being marketed to.

elffir
August 13, 2008, 11:14 AM
Yes I'm a new member, but I've been reading posts in THR for many months. I come here to look for reviews and other info. That's all. I work for a bank, not a scope manufacturer.

Bear2000
August 13, 2008, 11:18 AM
I too find it interesting, usp_fan.

hunttheevil
August 13, 2008, 05:47 PM
I looked around the web today, and found one person (the market doesn't seem to be flooded yet) who bought one of these scopes and said it was excellent for the price. I'll bite. I ordered the 4-16x50 Tactical. I'll give ya'll the dirt when it get's here.:evil:

mdThanatos
August 14, 2008, 01:49 AM
I am somewhat curious as to how reliable these scopes are, especially the pistol scopes as I am a fan of the scout setups. What kind of recoil can they handle?

Neckshot5seven
August 17, 2008, 08:45 PM
Only thing about China stuff is Yea its cheap, and no one is accountable for their quality control. If you buy a lemon then it usually gets replaced with another lemon. That is until the lemon tree stops bearing fruit.

hunttheevil
August 23, 2008, 04:52 PM
I looked around the web today, and found one person (the market doesn't seem to be flooded yet) who bought one of these scopes and said it was excellent for the price. I'll bite. I ordered the 4-16x50 Tactical. I'll give ya'll the dirt when it get's here.

I received said scope today. It come packages with rings as advertised. I mounted it on my DPMS LR308-AP4. I will have to say the glass looks good. Better than my Nikon Protaff and dang near as good as my Leupold VX-III.

The range report is gonna be a ways out. Fay just left here and everything is under water. I don't have anywhere close by to shoot, so i'm going out with the girls tonight. And i'm going to Philly next weekend.:banghead:

Hopefully this week I can slip off and put some rounds downrange, if not it will be next week. I'm excited, I hope it performs as well as it looks.

Daniel Boon
October 21, 2008, 11:03 PM
I bought a 6x24 scope 3 months ago and took it out to the range; the elevation cap popped off and that was the end of the scope; but I took it back when the next show came along and the vendor gave me a new scope with no problem. the eye relief could be better. its not as good as a Leupold as claimed by the vendor. they are in my opinion "better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick" but not by much.

CoGunNut
November 5, 2008, 10:49 AM
Let another New Member make a posting about Osprey, This time, not so gushy and supportive.

I have a problem which is, honestly, 90% my fault. However :

I purchased one of their 6-24x50 scopes this weekend at a gunshow.

Normally, I'm a better consumer, but for some idiotic reason, I forewent my normal pissy customer routine.

After looking through the scope on display, I figured it was worth the $$, so I plopped down the requisite cash and was handed a brand new scope from the stack on the table (not the display scope. . .mistake #2 (Mistake #1 will be explained later)).

I was a vendor at the same show, so I didn't get a chance to even look at the scope until the show was over on Sunday. (Mistake #3).

However, when I went home, I found three problems with the scope I was given.

Problem #1 was a tiny bit of rubber O-ring hanging from the seam on the objective lens.

Problem #2 was a problem focusing the reticle. I couldn't screw the ocular lens down tight enough to bring the reticle into focus. (and I have 20/20 vision, so that's not the problem).

Problem #3 is the general focus of the scope, I can't get the scope to focus . . .at all.

Now, on to the REAL problem with Osprey International/Prestige Law Enforcement.

I attempted to contact them this morning to see if there was a warranty.

I spoke with a young lady named Q***** (full name removed due to snottiness), who wouldn't even allow me to explain the problem.

The first thing right out of her mouth was "Do you have the receipt?"

Not "What's the problem?" or even a question about the scope, but "Do you have a receipt?"

I explained that I did not (Mistake #4) and told her where I bought the scope.

I was immediately given a phone number of an Osprey dealer out of Washington.

Okay. . .I'm in Colorado and explained that to her.

Her response was "they probably did the show."

After several more attempts, I got her to finally admit that the scopes have a "Lifetime" warranty, but ONLY IF YOU HAVE THE RECEIPT.

I was advised that this was "STANDARD POLICY."

Interestingly enough, there is no mention of the warranty or requirment for the receipt for warranty work included in the packaging.

So, until I can track down the dealer (which doesn't seem to be a regular stocking dealer for Osprey International. . .or at least that's what I'm expecting to be told by Osprey/Prestige Law Enforcement), I'm stuck with a non-functioning piece of glass, glue and metal.

Osprey International / Prestige Law Enforcement's Customer Service is HORRIBLE. Do not expect to get anywhere with them.

They do not want to hear the problems with the scopes.

They obviously do not support their customers.

They do not include any warranty information on their scopes.

And, it appears they do not have a Code of Conduct for their dealers.

So, take a risk by buying your Osprey International Scope. You had better laminate the receipt (if you get one) and store it in your Safe-Deposit Box, just in case you ever need any warranty work.

Otherwise, don't bother. Spend your money on another brand.

J

Notes : Mistake #1 was not researching the scope before I bought it. I paid almost twice what can be found on the web.

Yes, I will be contacting the Gun Show Promoters to find the names of the people who rented the booth. I will be contacting them forthrightly.

I also will be contacting both the Colorado and Georgia State Attorneys General to see if I can register a formal complaint and see if any particular laws on warranties and or Lemon Laws were violated.

I will also be posting this information on my experience with Osprey International / Prestige Law Enforcement on every site where I find anyone supporting their scopes. I feel it's my duty to notify other potential customers of these anti-consumer policies.

:banghead:

havoc7usmc
November 7, 2008, 06:25 PM
I made the mistake of buying an Osprey, it's like the Barska....JUNK.
I also think that some one was polluting this tread with a bogus report on the the optic in question. It's disappointing to have some one use a cheap advertising gimmick on a forum for honest people to who seek honest answers.

presidents_topgun
December 3, 2008, 10:52 AM
I bought one of those 12 x 40 x 50mm scopes. The package was missing one allen hex wrench and the owners instruction manual/warranty. I called the rep 4 times and finally made contact. They have yet to ship me the tool, owners manual and warranty. The objective lens is not a true 50mm. It's more like a 42mm lens. The light draw is low and can't compare to my Bushnell Banner 50mm scope. The cross hair reticle is too small and is hard to see even in good light conditions. I do enjoy the higher powered optics though. The mounts that come with the unit are too high for my personal liking. Options are limited since the tube is mm and not SAE 1 inch. As far as a strong unit, it seems to stand up to heavy recoil. I do like the red/green reticle option. If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't buy the scope. As far as reliable service, you read what I posted about the warranty and wrench. I'm going to assume service is also lacking.

Reagards, Presidents_topgun:

presidents_topgun
December 7, 2008, 11:21 AM
I put the V-42 scope to the test yesterday (in field test) and it failed miserably! It was near dark with snow on the ground. The light grabbing abilities were equal to that of Weaver B-4 scope. It is not practical for much of anything especially tactial use. My best advise is spent your money on a more quality scope (for less money). Their service (warranty) has proven to me that they are not willing to stand behind their product and the warranty is not worth the paper it is written on.

dixierifleman
December 7, 2008, 11:24 AM
I have the 10-40x tactical Illuminated reticle on my AR. I like it so far. One of the adjustment knobs came loose, and it took a small allen wrench to put it back on. Other than that, great power, and holds true.

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m184/rangeranger44/SANY0114.jpg

Friendly, Don't Fire!
December 7, 2008, 04:36 PM
purchase ANY scope made in CHINA!:barf::mad::scrutiny:

A scope is something that, I firmly believe, you get what you pay for!;)

Leupold for me, or open sights.:)

PERIOD

End of lesson.

FredlyFX
January 18, 2009, 10:20 PM
I bought a 2-7x variable pistol scope at the last Orange County gun show. I was looking for an inexpensive scope to put on a plinking pistol. I did not care about dropping big bucks for name brands.

I mounted the scope on my Beretta U22 pistol and took it to the indoor range. The optics seemed ok in my limited scope experience.

The scope was shooting a decent group about 2" low and an inch to the left of point of aim. I then spent the next hour trying to get it to move until I had the adjustment knobs turned until they stopped, but still had that same group in the same spot, but now it was up to over 100 rounds.

This is the first scope I have ever mounted, so there is definetly something I could have done wrong, but I don't think so. I am very unimpressed so far. Now I have to try to track down my reciept and find the dealer. Usually I keep track of stuff better than I did this time, so I may be out.

I guess I need to quit being so cheap and buy a real scope.

FredlyFX
http://fredlyfx.com

TJ_75
January 20, 2009, 10:52 AM
I too was told at a show that I attended that these have a "No BS complete lifetime warranty" if ANYTHING goes wrong with them, just contact them and they will replace it no questions asked. I was told nothing about having to have or produce a receipt for the purchase for warranty work/replacement.
For those of you that are having or have had problems with your scopes, here is Osprey's contact info:

http://www.osprey-optics.com/
phone: 770-387-2751
fax: 770-387-0114
The owner's name was Keith Oliver.

Also in doing some research online, I came across this:
Company Description

Osprey International, established in 1995, is an industry leader in weapon laser sights, laser boresights, holographic sights, and now daytime rifle scopes. We manufacture a wide array of products for hunting enthusiasts, law enforcement, and military appications. We pride ourselves on customer service and quality products, and continue to provide innovative solutions at affordable prices.

I hope this information will be helpful!

Good luck.

lipadj46
January 20, 2009, 03:02 PM
Until it's been proven otherwise the Chinese are incapable of the quality control needed to produce a reliable scope. I don't care how good the components are or who is running the plant it's just the way it is. I am sure if a company was willing to pay for it it could be done but then why not just go to the Philippines or Japan where they can do it. In optics you go to China for one reason dirt cheap labor and no regulations and to spit out product in large quantities not for a quality end product. I think the only way a company can come close to doing it if the scopes were partially manufactured in China then finished somewhere else and even then companies seem to have problems doing it.

MGD 45
January 21, 2009, 05:00 PM
That's funny! The original post looked EXACTLY like an add posted by someone with the company!! I ran across a vender selling this at a gun show in Macon, Ga. The salesman gave the "speech" on how great the scope was made and how "tactical" it was.

I asked him if the reticle was in the first focal plane or second.........he just looked at me with a blank stare and said, "honestly sir, I don't know" I have to give him props for being honest & not blowing smoke up my azz, but they still seemed like a cheap Chinese clone scope.

taliv
January 21, 2009, 05:27 PM
the osprey nightvision stuff i had was made in russia. for the money, it worked surprisingly well. however... i had very few opportunities to actually shoot it, since most ranges close before dark.

leahcim
January 29, 2009, 09:55 PM
Some issues here are familar.

I bought a 4x16x50 at a gun show and was told about the 'life-time warranty' No problem 'cause I have the receipt.

I mounted the scope with their rings on my Armalight M15. I used a laser bore-sighter, at night ~50 yards, to get in the ballpark before I went to the range (100 yds). So far so good.

Went to the range to try and get zeroed. Begin shooting and adjusting from the sights null/zero--center position on W/E knobs. I just cannot get the Windage to bring the hit-point to the left and have turned the Elevation all the way to the stop (UP) to get on the bull. More shoot/adjust.... the Windage knob falls off after about 40 rounds. Grrrrr.

I look at the windage barrel and there are ~3 sets of scores on the barrel where the set screws have been tightened trying to keep the knob on. Next day I call the number on the receipt and explain the problem. I was asked, "Do you have the receipt?"
"Why, yes I do."
"Okay, send it back and we will look at it."

I tell them I would like to have a replacement because I believe the knob will continue to fall off. I am asked to put the information in a note when I send it.

I UPS the scope, and a letter of explanation, back to them and it was received. I call them 8 business days later and ask for an update. I was told it was on the service managers desk (he had been 'away') and they would send me a new scope. They do.

The new scope arrives. I mount it with their rings and take it to the indoor 25. I get fair grouping but again the W/E adjustments seem inconsistent. (I also order a laRue 1.83" ht extended eye-relief mount)

Take the rifle to the 100yd and begin shoot/adjust (I am using a 'Nail Driver' shooting bag). Again, I have the W/E almost to the stops to get in to the bull. The adjustment L/R and U/D do not seem to have a consistent change on the hit point. Also, the windage knob is coming a bit loose--I have tightened the set-screws.

The LaRue arrived today and I mounted the scope. Again, using the laser bore-sight ~50 yards, I try to get in the ballpark. The adjustments do not seem to have an effect.

I will try to get to the range this weekend and see what happens. I will update with the results.

L

SgtMajor
January 30, 2009, 05:46 PM
Hello LEAHCIM... I just took delivery (from Sportsmansguide) of an Osprey Tactical Scope..... So far 50 rounds in .308) things look good.
However, since it is a fairly new company & obviousley has/is going/gone through startup problems I & I'm sure others would like to know your contact information. Please tell us your contact information for the return transaction..... Thanks.....

c5_nc
January 31, 2009, 02:01 PM
That scope is one of the ones that started life as a Leupoud M3 clone, they have been sold as Fake Leupoulds, ospreys, M3 on ebay, NcStar Mark IV, and Sightmark. Sometimes the same vendor sales sales multipe version of the same rebaded scopes. I'm sure there are others I have missed. Cheapest source seems to be the M3s on Ebay. I've looked through the NcStar version and the it did seem fairly clear, clicks were mushy but not really that bad. Big question is reliablity, others have posted they could hold zero, etc. Others have posted good results, many of those from rimfire users. I had been thinking about buying one, the problem is if it breaks you are really throwing money away, while if you bought a american scope with a lifetime warranty you always have a scope, and if you buy one used you likely have a scope that keeps all of its value.

leahcim
February 5, 2009, 05:13 PM
Phones:

770-387-4342
770-387-2751

fax 770-387-0114

25 hawks farm road
White, GA 30184

leahcim
March 1, 2009, 05:38 PM
After a second scope was returned, I received a 3rd from AimShot.

Got the rough zero down with the leupold tool.

Mounted it up, took it to the range was 'on the paper' with the first shot. I worked through the adjustments and got the grouping where I wanted it to be (for the ammo I was using).

Final: They (AimShot) live up to their word on the guarantee of the product.

I just wish it had not taken 3 scopes to get there. But I am happy in the long run.

Leahcim

AimSHOT
May 4, 2009, 04:06 PM
LET ME CLEAR THIS UP FOR EVERYONE. AimSHOT is not affiliated with Osprey international and their entire product line is in fact knock off product made in China from our line. The outside of their product looks identical to ours but is made differently and the INSIDE is completely different. Their products are much cheaper because they did no research or development on any of their products and their factory cost is much less as it is china made. We are currently involved in lawsuit with them for using our patents and trade dress on every product we make. I would be happy to provide copies of court ordered Injunctions between the two of us if any doubt exists. DO NOT be fooled by this imitation. As another poster here stated their customer service is horrible as i have heard from multiple people complaining they got our product and it wasn't ours and tried to do a return through Osprey. I know of several customers who have returned something to them months ago and still have not received new product. We do not cut corners on our production and make all of our items with the highest grade material possible as we design all of our items to cater to military. If anyone has any further questions regarding this matter please contact aimshot@aimshot.com and i will be happy to answer any questions. Or call our customer service department directly at 770-840-8039 thank you.

Double Naught Spy
May 5, 2009, 07:56 AM
-Built in the only US owned and managed facility in China.
-Only Chinese 'labor' is utilized, not chinese parts.
-Imported 3M two-part epoxies used un all bonding applications
-Imported hermetic grease used for superior waterproof and fog-proof performance
-Optical components imported from Hoya of Japan for image quality higher than anything available in China

If these are selling points for the scope, I would avoid it like the plague. They sound like nothing but excuses for why the scope comes with a Chinese label and they are listed first in the bullet points BEFORE the discussion of scope features. That is frightening!

AimSHOT
May 12, 2009, 01:30 PM
i would go with the person who posted above me. I happen to have factual evidence that half of the things in that list aren't even true.. But 99.9% of people will never do the leg work to figure it out, so people buy the scope based on what's listed on the box.. unfortunately.

Also the "NO BS LIFETIME WARRANTY" is nothing but full bs. good luck getting a replacement or repair on any item you buy from osprey. Especially if it was at a gun show. They will blame the gun show dealer all day and never take responsibility for their shoddy products. Read up on some reviews of people who have purchased this product and tried to get a return/refund/repair.

carrottop432
June 7, 2009, 01:07 AM
A quick follow-up from my post way back...
First of all, I don't work for Osprey International.

I found a 10-40x50 Osprey Intl. scope on a website for $100. Since I've had good luck out of my 4-16x50, I figured it'd be worth trying. Regardless of what many have been saying, I couldn't be happier with it! With over 100 shots fired from my Armalite AR-50 BMG rifle, I can honestly say this scope is awesome. It's still DEAD on! Sure, it's not perfect and does have some minor shortcomings, but hell, I paid $100 for a BMG-capable 10-40x50 scope with flip up caps and decent scope mounts included! Maybe I've just been lucky, but either way, I'd buy another Osprey in a heartbeat!

For the ones having issues getting the scope zeroed-in... my 4-16x50 did the same thing, but a couple light taps on the adjustment knobs before turning them and all was well.
Also, I had a similar issue that some others stated about the adjustment knob coming off of my 10-40x50. The problem is simple: the adjustment knobs are held on by 3 allen screws. One of the holes on mine wasn't perfectly threaded, preventing one screw from being tightened all the way. A few bucks for an extremely small tap will solve that issue.

Now, I agree that when you buy something, you shouldn't have to work on it immediately, but since a comparable scope capable of handling the massive recoil of a BMG would cost at least 6 times what I gave for my scope, I think I can deal with a 3 dollar fix.

Don't think I'm saying Osprey is perfect. I've never dealt with their customer service, and if I'd had the experience that some others are saying they've had, I'd be pissed as well. All I'm saying is that my experience thus far has been a good one.

beerengineer
June 21, 2009, 03:33 PM
Well, thanks to you guys on this forum and a couple other ones...I didn't take the hook. I good friend I trust has told me to buy one of those Osprey International scopes. He has a couple and says they work great.

However, after a bit of research, I have come the conclusion that they are indeed "junk". Everyone on here keeps saying that you get what you pay for, especially with scopes. So, with much happiness I have decided to keep saving for that nightforce I've been dreaming of. Just a couple of months more and I'll be posting pics of my Remington 700 Sendero with NF glass on top. I'm sure I'll be happy for years to come. Thanks again for the reality check

Michael J
June 29, 2009, 06:14 PM
I've just purchased an osprey int. 6-24x50 scope at a local gun show. I am a new member and I'm not here to advertise for them. After 3 trips back to the gun show I finally got the scope in the condition I paid for. The first had a small scratch on the glass that I could not see inside the dimmley lit show room. When I returned I was given a 4-16x42 by mistake in a 6-24x50 box. After I paid to get back in the next day, I was given a hard time when I tried to swap it for the one I paid for.After 20 min.I convinced the man that I didnt pay to come back in and rip him off.All was settled and Ive mounted my scope on my Savage 30/06 rifle. I hope I didnt throw my money away as I plan to put it on the range sometime this week.

CowboyShootin
July 11, 2009, 02:05 PM
Yep - New member.
Nope - Just a shooter, not a 'plant'.

Do order a lot from S.G. including this Osprey 10-40 Tactical. Had it for several months but been too busy to sight in and work it over... It sits on my DPMS 308-LR bull bbl (sweet!). Took a while to get it onto paper at 100y. I also experienced rotating to the stops w/o satisfaction. I believe it was a case of not properly set on Pic rail. After removing and reinstalling, used a laser boresighter to start. Walked it onto paper in 4 rounds at 100y. W/E knobs are intended to come off so once zeroed you start at 0. A feature I like and don't have on any of my other optics. Small amount of slop before clicks, but clicks are positive/clear. At 35-40 power, very sensitive and I'd say 1/8 MIL is correct. At this power significantly darker image, reduced eye relief. Hard to keep eye in field. Below that, at 20-35, gets much brighter and MUCH easier to keep eyes on!

Conditions: Sunny, Hot, humid (muggy) and very buggy. Bipod on shoot mat. Using a 25yd pistol target.

Sighting In:
The first target is two groups of three. First group aim point was center black. I was flinching but still made 4 clicks left. Settled in and hit second group with aim point on the '5'. Left windage alone and made 6 clicks down.

Moved to 150y - all else remained the same. Second target is fast (not rapid) fire full 19 rnd mag. Recoil doesn't allow rapid at 35 power. Can't find target that fast. Scope does seem to stay on target, but as you see tended to drop low and stay right. I do believe that is the shooter. I tend to shoot all my long guns this way even with open sights... (extra nicks in paper from dirt splatter)

All in all can't complain about this Osprey scope. (I would never buy optics from a show). Any time I've needed a return or replacement from S.G. I get it no questions asked. - Kind of like Dillon on the no B.S. there... Posting the pics because actions speak volumes.

I got on this sight from google search to see if I could get input on anyone using of this scope's BDC. Anyone want to share on how this has worked for them would be appreciated.

browna09
July 13, 2009, 10:19 PM
i went to the dixie classic gunshow this past weekend to get a few things for my dpms ar, got a good eotech, picitinny forerail, and vertical foregrip, and i am happy with all of these, except the osprey green laser i got. it worked great for the first day and a half, and it was awesome because...its green. well now the battery is dying, and so i went to the battery store and tried two new batteries, both of which died instantly. im not sure what the deal is with the batteries, so i tried to get on www.osprey-optics.com to see if i could get their batteries, and it says i need a password to log on. i read one of those posts(may have been from aimshot) that said if i got it from a gunshow, i'm especially screwed...well i guess i am.

do any of yall have experience with the osprey lasers? its the 'tactical green laser'

Landpimp
July 18, 2009, 10:49 AM
buy quality optics, they will last a life time, if your life depends on it...than your a fool to by crap, if just for a range toy, toss you money where you wish

Leupold
IOR
Hensoldt
Zeiss
Nikon

doodle bug
July 24, 2009, 07:40 AM
The old saying is learn from your mistakes? In this case its learn from someone elses ??? Landpimp says it all !

j-easy
July 24, 2009, 09:00 AM
this has got to be one of the strangest threads i have ever seen, 90% of posters are brand new less than 5 posts, looked like they registered to post here. First we some newbies talking about how great the scopes are, my bet is that its OP faking some positive feedback, but then out of nowhere, another group of brand new posters starts posting negative reviews about the scopes. Not sure exactly what is going on here, or was, last year

Supertac45
July 26, 2009, 11:46 AM
I'll pass on this one.

mtlucas0311
July 27, 2009, 11:56 PM
Am I the only one who has noticed a trend of stories that go something like this: "yea, I paid two to three thousand for this killer rifle, then I put a hundred dollar scope on it and it's great after a little tinkering!". If I looked in those gun safes would I see a bunch of coke bottles duct taped to the "cheap" thousand dollar rifles? Where's the glowing reports of wonderful repeatability out of the big 50's or those AR's in .308 as they are exercised between yard lines? Is there no wind at all at these ranges? This thread is the best one I've read in a while! I love it.

Milspec78
August 1, 2009, 06:12 PM
I wonder how many people really need a $1,500 scope? Can't be that large of a market for professional snipers. I bought a $150 Nikon Prostaff...works just fine on my S&W MP-15R (5.45X39mm). Just put an Osprey 6-24X50mm on my AR-10A4 .308 SPR for about the same price. Looks like a decent scope for the bucks. Unless somebody calls me back to active duty it'll probably be all I need... :D

Milspec

persing
August 2, 2009, 02:19 AM
Show me a Scope that is 100% US Made? Japs took the market years ago after they copied the germans. US Chev Truck parts 74% Canadian made 15% Mexican made, Ford is close behind as well. Why you ask? Sold out union's to run from the envirowhacko's EPA Bastard"s desrtoying and taking job's as we talk about cheap scopes from Chinatown.
Iron sight's for those who hate spending to much for a 100% marked up Leupold.

Night vision? what ever happened to the parachute flares? Cheaper

It's almost to late for those becoming relaxed over Obummer and his Surprize from Hell. All the scopes in the world will not take out. Maybe the gang banger's looting and raping. Silencers are needed ,they wear the sneakers that light up when they walk at night!.

alsaqr
August 2, 2009, 12:43 PM
The other day I was cleaning out the attic and looked in my junk scope box. There is one old El Paso Weaver scope there that absolutely wore out. I will get it repaired some day. There are 14 trashed Bushnell, Simmons, Cabelas, BSA and Tasco scopes in that box.

It took me awhile to wise up but for several years now I have been buying quality scopes, Ziess and Leupold exclusively.

PandaBearBG
August 9, 2009, 07:00 AM
Osprey sounds like Juuuuuunk. For the budget, I got a simmons whitetail classic 6.5x20x50 from midwayusa and it's always held its zero and it took a drop and a couple bangs and is still rock solid. Got it on sale for $100 only problem is that it is a HEAVY brick on top of your rifle, not really recommending it for hunting unless you are a beast. I mean I am 6' 250 lbs and have no problems hefting my stick around with it on, but a standing free hand shot, it gets a little wavvy but on a rest it really shines for those with limited budgets. I will save up for a NF or a Leupold someday....sigh.

KHughes
September 14, 2009, 12:19 AM
I bought one to try just to see for myself if the things are any good. I'm mounting it on a Rock River AR and will be doing some testing in the near future. I'll post back with the results. I will say at first glance the Osprey looks good. The glass is bright and clear. Fit and finish look good. I'll let you know how I feel about it after I've messed with it for a while.

Kent

dacavasi
September 14, 2009, 02:11 AM
All I can say is there are many among us here, including, unfortunately, myself, who have bought/returned/junked many, many "made in China" optics. Yes, you would really like to believe that a reasonable quality scope can be bought for a discount price, but the truth is that it is IMPOSSIBLE. I don't care where they are made (although the names "NcStar, Barska, Osprey, Guide Gear, Famous Maker", etc... come immediately to mind.,..), you simply get "what you pay for" when it comes to optics. Want something good? Spend the money! Leupold, Zeiss, even Nikon and Bushnell, you will not regret your decision! Stay away from the junk, you can only be disappointed (or your standards are so low that it really doesn't matter if you have a glass or not...)!!!

KHughes
September 17, 2009, 06:02 PM
Got the Osprey 3x9x42 scope mounted. Replaced scope ring screws with longer screws and torqued to 20 in-lbs with small drop of loctite. Torqued rail mount screws to 35 in-lbs. Bore sighted and took it to the range. Took 12 shots to get it shooting 3" high at 50 yards and another 12 to get it zeroed at 100 yards. Fired 30 shots semi rapid fire, checked elevation cap and reset it to show 100 yard zero. Then fired 12 shots slow fire, 3 rounds at 4 different target dots. Best group on the last twelve was 1" worst was 3"
I'm not an accomplished rifleman so I felt pretty good about those groups. All and all I feel good about the scope and I'll let you know how I feel about it after a 1000 rounds.

Kent

Milspec78
September 20, 2009, 06:46 PM
I think some Osprey scope problems are caused by loose turret caps. The three set screws aren't always tightened at the factory so the caps can either pull off or turn without adjusting the point of impact. The instructions aren't exactly user-friendly either... :rolleyes:

Anyway, here's what I learned from sighting in my Osprey 6-24X50IRF scope. First, loosen all three turret cap set screws and then tighten them equally so that the turret cap is centered on the spindle and distinct "clicks" are heard when the adjustment knobs are turned. Sight in the rifle and then loosen the set screws carefully so you don't change the adjustments. Set the caps to zero and tighten the set screws again so the caps are centered on the spindle. I used a tiny amount of blue Loctite so the screws won't come loose. There will be some slack in each turret knob but the 1/8" clicks are accurate and repeatable - at least for the 200+ rounds of .308 I've fired to date... :)

Milspec

creophus
November 16, 2009, 09:08 AM
Can we get an update on this?

There's a few posters who said they would post a range report...still waiting.

Ch0sen0ne
November 22, 2009, 03:15 PM
http://www.qualityriflescopes.com/OSPREY-TA4-16X50IRF-ILLUMINATED-R14-RANGE-FINDER-p-16196.html

Haven't fired it yet, just mounted it and really anxious now that so much questions have been left unanswered. Try this distributor however if you have problems. I also purchased my 4-16x50 from a gun show, but I did not research it. Hope you guys have better luck in the future...

Kemp427
November 24, 2009, 10:13 AM
Leupold and Zeiss are the only two optics I use. I would rather buy one optic to last a lifetime rather than 10 cheap ones (per gun). Just remember when you hear such things as these the old saying "if it sounds to good to be true.........."

Respectfully, Kemp427

Avenger29
November 24, 2009, 01:56 PM
If you're smart, you won't buy one of these Osprey International scopes.

For the prices charged, you can get an affordable scope that will be worth a damn.

floridashooter
December 1, 2009, 10:18 PM
i bought ta64259imd scope mounted it on my ruger 10/22 had terrible problem dailing it in at 25 yards ... it seem the cross hairs moved when i focused the scope and everytime i adjusted for focus it needed to be bore sighted again. just to see what it would do i remounted it on my 30-06 i got off 4 rounds then the cross hairs broke from the recoil By the way i paid 60.00 dollars for it so the old saying you get what you pay for rings true in this case.

deer killa
December 6, 2009, 09:19 PM
they may be ok but they aren't the clearest. and they might not hold up to heavy calibers. they dont hold up to heavy calibers like burris ore luepys.

KHughes
December 9, 2009, 04:54 PM
I have 180 rounds through my AR15 with an osprey 3x9x42 mounted on it with no issues. Rock solid so far. It works as advertised. I zeroed at 100 yards with a 3/4 inch group. Two of three shots you could cover with a dime. I cranked it up to 200 yards and it was right on the money. Ditto for 300 yards. For the amount of shooting I do it is all I need. I'm not an expert rifleman and just need to be able to kill a coyote out to 200 yards and an occasional 300 yard shot. Maybe it will blow up on the next shot fired but so far so good.

Kent

SKYDOG308
January 15, 2010, 12:27 AM
First of all, I have Leupold's on all of my REAL distance rifles (all VX-III's with the Varmint reticle), sans the one IOR mounted on a 308 semi auto (I mostly shoot, iron sights), just came home with an Osprey 6-24x50 (paid 199.00 plus taxes). Bore sighted onto a very inexpensive AR-15 that I cobbled together from a bunch of old parts and a new barrel I had laying around. First thing I noted was that the dang thing ran out of adjustment before I could get where I was headed (bore sighting), second thing was when I cranked up to 24X and it was like someone had turned out all the lights in the room. I am taking to the range to see if it works this weekend, I WILL POST RESULTS. I sale clinical trials software not optics, I shoot iron sights mostly, but wanted an inexpensive "toy" scope to plink with some friends at 225 yards. I just can not justify putting almost a grand (or more) in glass on every little plinker I have....oops I told a lie..I have six BSA's on 22LR's and on 2 GAMO air rifles, forgot about them. My wife shoots a custom 10/22 with a Swift variable she keeps cranked up to 12x or 14x whatever it is. After reading these posts......I have that sick feeling in the pit of my stomach, kinda like....well you know what I mean. Fortunately I bought from a dealer I have dealt with for 12 years. I'll post the results ASAP:banghead:

Avenger29
January 16, 2010, 08:23 PM
SkyDog, why didn't you get something like a Bushnell 3200 or any of the other more trustworthy brands for that price? I think you just paid $200 for a piece of FAIL. See if you can take it back...don't even bother shooting it...

Wired Wrong
January 23, 2010, 11:58 PM
I was hired to test Osprey Scopes by the "OWNER" of the company. After testing a dozen or so of the scopes in various forms, I advised the owner that they were junk and either would not zero or would not hold zero.His comment was we are going to sell them anyway probably at the gun shows since we will never see these people again.This was when I terminated my employment with with Osprey.So beware.:evil:

JAPSA
February 4, 2010, 02:27 AM
I was looking for a nice scope for my new RRA LAR 8 .308 Varmint with 26" Bull barrel. To be honest, I'd like to have a Schmidt & Bender, Swarovski, Nightforce or Leupold. I even looked at the specs of the Shepherd scopes, The power that I'd like to have can't be no less than 32X or better and 1/8 MOA adjustments, 30mm tube, that is what I needed and will not settle for anything less.

After waiting a little over a year for the rifle, my trigger finger is very itchy and I just can't wait to shoot this fine rifle. I didn't mind spending $1000 on a scope but then again the features that I am looking for can't be found on sub $1000 scopes, something that came close is the Nightforce bench rest scope 32x but still thats almost $1300, after spending an arm in a leg on my new LAR 8 varmint, I just need to watch my money.

I thought I put the gun aside for now until the right scope comes along. I visited one of the Gun Shows in Jacksonville Florida and I noticed 3 tables selling different lines of scopes. One of which was Osprey, the other is NCStar and Accu Shot. I looked at all three just out of curiosity. I scratched off NCStar from the list as fast as I can open the box, I'd rather go iron sight than put that junk in my rifle. The other was the Accu Shot which was not bad at all. it was 40X by 50mm, side focus, and all the bells and whistles one could ever want including push button red and green recticle, the lens was clear and the price was not bad at all... still under $300.

For about the same money, I looked at the Osprey 40X by 50mm, it had all the features that the Accu Shot had except the push button recticle. Now, I do know they are all made in China but if I were to take a chance on Chinese made scopes I'd pick the Osprey. According to the guys selling it, they used Chinese labor but the parts were imported and lens are from Japan... honestly, I could care less if it was made in Pluto. If it works, I'll buy it. I am as skeptical as anyone, after all I'm not putting it on a .22 lr or .17 hmr... it has to withstand the recoil of a semi auto .308.

3 more gunshows later and I kept coming back, did my research on the internet and found a whole bunch of info about the Osprey scopes, some I could care less to know but some are very helpfull in making my decision. I've read some post that there are people don't like it just because it was made in China, some post are reflection of other post they read somewhere with no first hand experience which were not helpful, some sounds a little fishy but then again 'garbage in, garbage out".

Well, after three visits to the show I finally decided to give it a try, why not, after haggling a deal has been struck for less than $200 bucks, If I don't like it, I'd take it off my rifle and sell it half price, so my loss would just be $100 and someone will be happy with their $100 scope. It was worth a try and risk.

I requested one that was fresh out of the box, checked for common issues I read on the internet, like windage and elevation not working, clicks are mushy, lens cover broken etc. I pretty much spent atleast 30 mins quality checking the darn thing. There's gotta be someting broken somewhere but I just can't find it, everything seems to work fine, including the range estimator side focus. The lens was surprisingly clear inside a dimly lit convention hall.

I took it home and immedietly did a side by side comparison from 10X to 24X against my Nikon scope, I just can't believe my eyes that it seems that the Osprey has better optics, it could be just my eyes but I can see the grains of the trees 150 yards away that I can't with the Nikon, the Nikon can't go higher than 24X but I did try the Osprey @ 40X and image is still very clear and bright... so far it passed the lens quality test but the million dollar question is "Will it hold true Zero?" Will it change its POI when the power is adjusted? Will the clicks really 1/8 MOA and go back to zero when adjusted.

Getting ready for the range, loaded up 40 rounds of 180 grains BTHP, bore sighted the scope, adjusted the crosshair, loctite the mounts and I was the first guy at the 100 yard lane very early in the morning. Fired one shot and it was just 6 inches higher and 1 inch to the left @ 100 yards with 2" target... made corrections on windage and elevation, using max power @ 40x, did 5 rounds and confirmed that I established my baseline zero with less than 6 rounds.

Fired 5 rounds using 40X once more just to make sure I just didn't get lucky, then 5 more rounds using 32X and 5 more @ 24X and so on. I was surprised that it held its zero at varying power, most groups are within half inch but the groups got bigger below 24X, It was hard to see my 2" targets less than 20X @ 100 yards.

All in all, this is pretty good for the money, I am hoping that this scope will work as advertised but I can say that if anything is not up to par with this scope are the rings rings, a good one would cost just as much what i paid for the scope but so far it has proven to be a good investment. The scope rings seems to be working for now and solid but I got my eye on a new one.

It will undergo some more testing at 200, 300, and 500 yards, I expect to have no more than 3~5" group at this distance. I will update this post if I have to eat my words later on but until then, the scope is fixed on that rifle.

I figured I post it here since this is one of the forums I found and used to research for the Osprey, I don't work for Osprey or planted by the guys selling Osprey scopes, I'm just a somewhat satisfied customer on a budget glad to see a product that I can afford without breaking the bank and at the same time getting all the features I want.

Yes, I'd still want a Schmidt and Bender, Swarovski, Nigthforce and Leupold but until I can afford the ones I want, I may need to settle for the lower cost scope that can do the job. I'd buy one again and I'll tell my friends to buy it too.

From what I learned so far, this company uses Chinese labor but imported parts, I could care less if it was made in other 3rd world countries offering cheap labor, if it doesn't work I'd throw it away... I once paid more for a scope mount than what I paid for this scope so it is all good. For the price, I didn't think it would work, I honestly think something will break and I prepared my self for disappointment. If I can find a 30 mm one piece steel scope mounts I'll be a happy camper.

Again I don't work for these guys, and yes, this is my first and only post, you can believe it or not I just thought I'd share this information to anyone who may find it usefull. If you need to contact me for any reason here is my email: mandura@usa.com.

Thanks for reading.

maksim
February 4, 2010, 09:58 PM
Dude, I am sorry but your are so full of BS. How much were you paid by them? I bet you if we ran IP's you would come up with all else.

Common theme in this topic.... here it is. Look a the number of posts the user name, if under 5, you know it is a post saying how "I took a chance on Osprey and it is a great scope." Any poster with more than 5 posts to their name.... "it is junk."

Lastly, notice how all of the posters supporting Osprey magically have an AR in a 308.

Dude, if you are spending that much on your rifle, get a good scope. Hell, for the price of the supper 40x power junk, just get a good Nikon ProStaff, and save $200 a year by not trashing the junk, paying for fedex.

Seriously, who do you trust more, Nikon, the number 1 in optics/ cameras/etc... or a knockoff chinese company that sells to dopes at gun shows, and welcomes callers with "Do you have a receipt?"

Dravur
February 5, 2010, 03:04 PM
Confuscious say....He who buy cheap scope not see big picture....

Yeah, get a Nikon or Burris or even a Bushnell...

You WILL be disappointed by the commie crap.

JAPSA
February 9, 2010, 12:18 AM
@ MAKSIM here's some more BS for you :)

Sorry you feel that way, it may sound like BS but my intention is to share my opinion about the product. You are entitled to your own opinion and if you want to believe that everything I say is BS... I will respect that, only because you're opinion matters regardless how silly it may sound, that is just my nature.

Yeah... you do that cool tech talk - eagle eye BS and ran my IP address... go ahead, I'll even give it to you if you want to make it easier for you. Do you want my address too? Let me see what else you can find out about me???

And no I didn't magically acquired a .308 rifle, I have quite a few of these silly looking rfiles but only one in LAR 8 Varmint with 26" Stainless Bull barrel which is brand new from RRA. Yeah really! I have a pic for you, look down below, I'd show my face too but I'm too shy, it's a little dirty but that is the best I can do with such short notice.

Listen folks, I didn't contribute to the thread to get into any pissing contest with anyone. If you don't like the Osprey scope that is perfectly fine with me. I'm not selling it. I was researching about it and I just happen to stumble across few threads about it and thought I'd add my opinion. This is just my opinion.

I promised to get a Leupold or dreamed of having a Schimdt and Bender one of these days but the specs that I want has a price tag that is out of reach at this point... I didn't say that the Osprey can beat all these high end scopes just yet but then again this is not a very expensive scope either.

I took a chance, I didn't like it but that is better than none, I needed a 40x scope period, the cheapest one I can find is over $1300, I want something that would work it did so far and nothing is falling out of the tube yet. Even the so called cheap scope mounts still holding up (possibly with the help of blue loctite) but it is still maintaining zero. I will be replacing that soon.

I set up my baseline zero @ 100 yards like most with only 3 rounds (bore sighted), I zeroed the rifle using 40X, shot 5 rounds, change to 32X then shot 5 rounds then down to 24x shot 5 rounds, I was promised by rifle manufacturer that the gun is 1 MOA accurate, I think it is sub MOA. The POI is the same with only a couple of flyers which was my fault.

Not much fun @ 100 yards, I loaded some more 180 grains BTHP and gonna try the 200 yards in a couple of days. I'm doing everything I can in my power to find out if I can find anything wrong with it so I can just have an excuse to bring it back... so far for the money, I'd rather keep it.

And as you say... Dude, I already have a Nikon prostaff just not 40X, they are good but but not the best. If you think it is then maybe you haven't seen the S&B yet but you seem to have a lot of B&S in you!

In the end, I like that fact that it works (atleast for now)... I'd suggest not to buy it if you don't like buying cheap Chinese products (throw that that keyboard and computer too - it's made in China :) Yep, unless you make your own chair... it's made in China too. You get my drift, Dude? I'm not here to sell this product.

Osprey can't afford me even if they want to pay me... I don't think they make enough money selling these cheap scopes @ gunshows to justify paying me to write this **** on this forum. Frankly, it is all just BS to most and it is up to the reader to keep an open mind.

Give me anything with 40X, I can see pass 500 yards and holds true zero(except BSA, NCSTAR, Leapers) show me in the line of Leupold, Nikon, SuperSniper, Shepherd, S&B etc etc etc... I can buy for less than $200 and I'll call you GOD!

I almost forgot... the damn pic! Yes it is mine... see my name engraved in the receiver??? Just kidding... only "DOPES" do that... whatever that means. :)
http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/8834/img0669ez.jpg (http://img94.imageshack.us/i/img0669ez.jpg/)

or a direct link...
http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/8834/img0669ez.jpg

How about that... I have 2 (two) post now, three more post according to you I will be more credible! Wheeew! Look what you made me do... all this crap I wrote and no paycheck yet? Somebody cut me a check!

Wired Wrong
February 9, 2010, 12:35 AM
Yes folks they are the same people. I have been at the office before it was moved to the OWNERS house and they are the same people and company. The Aimshot stuff was just okay but the Osprey Scopes/ range finders etc were all junk. I know I tested well over 2 dozen of each The range finders would not work below 40 degrees. The scopes would not hold zero none of them. DON"T BUY THEM THEY ARE JUNK. A Tasco product is much better. Thanks for my venting.

KHughes
February 10, 2010, 03:24 PM
Well, this is my fifth post so I've edged into the credible side of things and by the way, Dude, I don't have a .308 AR. It is on a .223 version. My osprey is working fine after another couple hundred rounds. Maybe she'll blow up on the next round fired but so far that hasn't happened. I've had no issues of holding zero or ranging. I've got Nikon and Bushnells on other rifles and revolvers mounted with Leupold rings and bases and they work well. However, I've got no complaints about the Osprey scope I have mounted on my Rock River AR. Indeed my story is true. I wanted to find a scope and ring combo that was under the price of a Nikon and Leupold setup. So I thought I'd give osprey a try. Been well pleased so far.

Dude, this is my perception and my reality. If something changes I'll let you know.

Kent

carrottop432
February 14, 2010, 12:03 AM
*Jump to the last sentence to skip my rant/testimonial* :D

I believe this will be my 5th post as well, so maybe I'm credible now. "Where's the big 50's?" With 181 shots fired from my Armalite AR-50 with an Osprey International 10-40x50 mounted on top and STILL a dead on at 300yds, do you still have any questions? Not good enough? How about a 4-16x50 mounted on my 45-70 with hundreds of rounds through it and still a dead on zero? Need more proof? Watch this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCDHYjHca3c) on youtube carefully and you'll see that the second shot went through the same hole as the first shot. Don't believe it's mounted on a 50 cal or that I'm a real person?

Still in disbelief? Here's a pic of me and my 45-70. 8-points don't lie:

As you can see, I've been plagued by the infamous loose turrets. Oh, no a bottle of loc-tite costs a few dollars. Why don't I just spend enough money to buy another gun on a scope instead? If "you get what you pay for" is so true, why doesn't everyone save up and buy a Bugatti Veyron instead of wasting money on crappy $20,000 and $30,000 cars? They cost significantly more so they must be the best!

To end this horrible rant, let me comment on Osprey's customer support. I recently purchased some sun shades for my scopes from an Osprey vendor at a local gun show. The vendor stated that they would fit my scope without any problem, so I got them. He didn't know that Osprey scopes as old as mine weren't designed with sunshades in mind. After I went home and attempted to install them only to accidentally loosen the front lenses, I inquired about it the next day. He told me to simply bring the scopes back and he'd give me new scopes that the shades would fit on. The next gun show rolled around and there was a different guy at the Osprey table who's only question after I explained the situation was, "Which reticle would you like your 2 new scopes to have?" I didn't even buy the scopes from that guy, didn't have my boxes, didn't bring in my receipts, and he immediate swapped! Please show me a company with better customer support!

I'm not trying to hate on people who purchase anything other than Osprey scopes; nor am I trying to piss off people who've genuinely had a crappy experience with Osprey International. If you prefer Nightforce, Nikon, US Optics, Schmitt & Bender, etc., then by all means, get them. Likewise, if you've had bad luck with Osprey scopes, I don't blame you a bit for not liking them. If I had a bad experience with them, I'd be bashing the holy crap out of their name right now. I had the misfortune of owning a Tiger computer years ago that was the biggest pile garbage I've ever used and bash them to this day! I just get annoyed when people claim I'm just a plant for a company or immediately say something is garbage because it costs significantly less than something else when they've never tried both. My dad has a Simmons scope that he paid several hundred dollars for and it is sweet. My brother's rifle has a $600 Burris scope that is amazingly clear, but it's not $500 clearer than either of my scopes.

My personal experience with Osprey International has been excellent and my next scope will be an Osprey!

Tyson0317
March 2, 2010, 03:12 AM
I see a lot of flack directed towards this brand and some frequent posters saying that some posts are fake. This is my first post, I registered just to weigh in on the thread, which was pointed out to me by a friend that was doing research on what I told him was a good scope for the money. You can check my handle on SniperCentral.com and see that I am not ad-bot.

That said, I bought my 12-40 x 50mm from a vendor at a local gun show. His claim that these are as good as Leopold is a bit much, but I got to give credit where credit is due.

Over the years, I have owned a number of lower brand scopes - Tasco, Barsa, AIM, NcStar, etc. Until I discovered Osprey, the NcStars were my cheap scopes of choice and I own 6 of them. Since discovering Osprey, I have bought 2 more - a red-dot and a pistol scope.

I am a pretty serious F-Class competition shooter in .308 and 7.62x54R. I have a whole necklace of dimes pierced at 100yd and sometimes participate in show-off matches shooting consecutive thumb tacks at 100yd.

When I buy and zero a new scope, I usually test it in a variety of ways. One of my standard tests involves moving the elevation and windage their full range of motion, returning to zero and seeing if the crosshair holds true. The Osprey is the ONLY Chi-comm scope that has passed this test in my hands!

The other test is to see whether 5 MOA on the dial, truly means 5 MOA on paper. The Osprey is not perfect, but it's close; when dialed to 5MOA, it shoots a solid 5.5.

As per warranty, I never tried to contact Osprey directly. I figured that without proof of purchase, it would be a waster of time. However, the guy that does our local gun shows took care of a problem scope no questions asked, even when I could not reproduce the problem in front of him. The red dot that I bought would sometimes turn off or change the reticule due to recoil form my 5.7 FN. Even though we both banged it on the table and it stayed on, he had no problem swapping it out for me.

That said, these scopes are not comparable to Leopold, Nightforce, Nikon or Swarovski. But for under $200, I doubt that you will find better.

Personally, my Osprey will soon be dismounted for a new $1800 scope from one of the top brands - my shooting and load development has gotten to the point where I feel that better optics will help my shooting. But that is not to take anything away from a great $200 scope!

mptrimshop
March 2, 2010, 04:03 AM
LOL.......

Dravur
March 3, 2010, 03:50 PM
Well... I am convinced. I am gonna go right out and get me one of them there newfangled chi-com scopes cuz they gots to be good. Just ask the guys from Osprey....

Hey, wait a sec....

Hmmmm, I don't think im gonna take the chance that the 1 in 50 scopes works "OK" from Osprey. It sounds like they are selling cheap crap and their support sucks.

Pretty much convinces me that even though they may have 1 or 2 that weren't total turdlings, I am not going to be the next Guinea Pig.

I will stay with well known brands with good support and good reps.

crossrhodes
March 4, 2010, 09:13 PM
I can't believe they are still pushing their scopes on this site. So few happy customers and lots of disappointed ones.

tkpinsc
March 6, 2010, 09:40 PM
So far I'm a happy camper with my 10-40x50 Osprey It's not a $1000 scope which I can't afford. It is a very good value for the $180 I spent at a local gun shop for it. The local shop offered an over the counter exchange if I had problems. I have it mounted on my anshutz 64 I've owned since it was new in the 70's, and am using it for 50 yard benchrest. The photo has a 50yrd and 100yrd target along with some various ammo I've been testing. In the past before my eyes gave out I always shot iron three position at 50ft and ammo wasn't so critical.

GPWASR10
March 15, 2010, 10:59 PM
For those who like Ziess and Leopold, give IOR a shot. After using a few IOR products they are the only ones I go to now. $$$$ yes, but incredibly robust and they have Schott Glass....

Magnumdood
March 18, 2010, 05:02 PM
Osprey/NC Star/ATN/(Fill in the blank) are all basically the same chinese junk. The damned scopes tubes and erectors look identical. The bulbous look of the ocular housing...same old crap. Save yourself some grief and buy a trusted brand.

Joker7940
April 20, 2010, 02:47 PM
I want to echo what I read once from someone else's post elswhere. "Buying an expensive scope was the worst buy I ever made..........Now I have to replace all my s*****y scopes!" :) I have to echo that with much enthusiasm. I saved for a Nightforce and now can't even look at my Barskas, BSAs, Nc stars, Eagle eye, Simmons', Tascos ETC ETC without wincing. Sure... I have had a decent experience with all of those (excluding Nc star) and they have kept me shooting over many years. Yet again like so many others have said why spend $1500 for an AR or a 700 or even $3000 on a BMG and spend $125 on the optics? For all you out there wanting to pinch pennies good on ya. However if you buy a quality scope you will never go back I promise. Now I see all the money I have WASTED on cheap scopes when I could have gotten some nice scopes and swapped them on my rilfes with some qd rings (4x$250 barskas=1 nightforce benchrest) All that time I was pinching pennies I could have just bought a damn NF and been shooting the same pennies at 400 yds! (defacing money is illegal don't try at home)..... So....Anyone want to buy some scopes? ;) For low price but quality try Millet, I would have more of those but like I said I am completly ruined when it comes to scopes. NF or bust.

dcsafety
June 7, 2010, 06:16 PM
I'm not on here very often and I don't need a bunch of crap about me being a plant. I just want to say against my better judgment I bought one because I wanted to do some load development prior to shooting my AR in competition this summer. I figured WOW a 6x24 with rings for $179 out the door at the NRA convention in NC. Why not! I'm to cheap to spend the $700-$1000 on a good scope. If I would have read this thread I wouldn't have bought it.

Well for my money I have no complaints. four shots to zero it at a 100yds and Ive put over 100 rds through it with no problem.

I'll admit the eye relief sucks but I've never used anything over 9x before.

Also thanks for the info on the caps, I did have a hard time hearing and feeling the clicks before I tightened them. That's it for what its worth.

Semper Fi

Alpha 1/7
Vietnam 68-69

Mags
June 7, 2010, 06:54 PM
This thread is 2 years old! :eek:

dcsafety
June 9, 2010, 11:07 AM
I noticed that, but decided to post a report anyway to see if anyone else had any more recent experience with Osprey. Like I said, for the money I have no complaints.
Semper Fi

BearAZ737
June 15, 2010, 01:45 AM
Wow, I just read all the posts on this thread because I am considering throwing a scope on my AR (NOT a .308) and I was looking for a cheap scope for around $100 because it would be my first scope. I was looking on optics planet and they had pretty cheap scopes but I wanted to do a little investigating on the brands I didn't recognize like BSA and such. If I hadn't checked into it I may have become another victim of , Buy cheap, Buy twice.., but I'm definitely going to save for a Bushnell or Nikon, depending on how long I want to save. :D

crossrhodes
June 21, 2010, 11:10 PM
WOW...never seen a dead horse wipped this much. Save you money and buy a good scope and be happy. Redfield is a good cheap scope if you have to go in that direction. Wondering if your scope is going to fall apart every time you pull the trigger is a crappy way of spending a day at the range.:eek:

soucheck
July 26, 2010, 06:53 PM
I bought the 2.5x10 ilum mil-dot scope. I have done a fair bit of shooting and well have owned a few different scope and while this is not the best scope on the market it holds it's zero was a breeze to zero in and my two complaints are the lens covers flip up is a little flimsy and the ir dial is very tight. but other than that dead on time and time again. Sad to hear so many folks had trouble with them. Not sure I'll buy another but this one is working fine.

Semper Fi

BTW: I didn't get a manual with mine when I bought it called them and they sent me one, wasn't easy to get through but well there it is.

Gasitman
August 7, 2010, 11:32 PM
I saw these today at the gun show and they look nice, but I can not lop down $200, especially after I just read this thread. The guys at the show had all these nice brochures with the president in them looking over the chinese workers with their face masks on. It looked like they were in a converted truck can that goes from Washington to China 300 times a year.

He told me to go ask around the show to other vendors, most of them looked at me like I was on drugs asking about these things.

Vortex, millett, osprey, I saw them all today, and none can compare to a Ziess, Luepold, etc. You get what you pay for.

jhood
August 11, 2010, 07:44 PM
I've come here numerous times for information, but have never had the desire to post. Well, I registered today and I'm posting.

I own an Osprey scope. The 10-40x50. It isn't top-of-the-line, but it is clear and holds zero indefinitely if I'm not making alot of MOA adjustments while shooting a 7.62x54r round. I haven't lost zero from adjusting the zoom. Oh, and I bought it last month.

Regardless, here is a real review/write-up of the 4-16x50 model. It pretty much sums up what all of the 'it isn't perfect, but it works' crowd has been saying.

http://www.702shooter.com/product-reviews/osprey-international-ta41650mdg/

Sport Shooter
August 15, 2010, 04:05 PM
I own 3...Never a problem with the 10x40x50 or the 2.5x10x40 or the Standard 3x12x50 Works as advertised...just my 2 cents

rwnielsen
September 30, 2010, 07:27 PM
This thread is 2 years old!

Hi all. I saw a sale at Midway for these scopes and immediately googled it to check for reviews. This thread came up and I, generally, hold the opinions here in fairly high regard.
The first thing I noticed, like a lot of you guys, is the amount of new posters involved, kinda strange and suspicious.
I'll have to skip this scope for now.
Thanks to all of you for the heads up :)
I've had my share of fuzzy, out o' whack scopes.
I'm interested in trying medium range (600m) to see if I like it and I'm starting with a cheap Savage 308.
I'll keep reading and checking, sooner or later I'll find something I can live with.
Take care
Richard

Runningman
September 30, 2010, 09:57 PM
The first thing I noticed, like a lot of you guys, is the amount of new posters involved, kinda strange and suspicious.
You got that right.

thegreers
December 1, 2010, 12:31 AM
Guys and gals, I bought on at a Melbourne gun show and to be honest is was an impulse buy.

1. I shoot HP at the Novice level
2. I handload and in both 1 and 2 I am being mentored by my club.

Most do not like to Osprey, they shoot pretty much top shelf equipment and they are good. I bought the tactile model on a DPMS AP4 and zero'd it for 200 yards. The windage and elevation worked well. Took it to Intermediate training and shot 200 the 600 yards and the scope worked very well. I did have a problem with the focusing for the crosshairs. I called and spoke to Brandy and then followed via e-mail:

Brandy
sales@miniosprey.com

They sent a replacememnt unit out before I had sent my scope back to them in the mail. They asked for no recipes or where did you get it. Customer service A+. Quality of their scopes, no they are not uppershelf, the rings are cheap as the scope caps. The first thing you will have to do is "blue" loc-tight the set screw on the scope. Before mounting range through your power settings and parallax, windage and elevation nobs (don't forget to adjust the cross hair focus on say a sky colored background. This being said I'm on my second build in .223 and have purchased a second one. The glass is clear, it holds zero and they stand behind their product in a timely manner. I trust them. I don't have any connection other then dealing with a broken scope that as said above the replacement unit was being tracked prior to me sending out my unit. I paid the shipping outbound. For the price and for shooting 200 to 600yds it's a good buy for the price. Look me up on gunbroker, I'm just like most others, trying to stretch my dollar and be able to train in HP without going bankrupt to see if this is what I want to do. I say give them I try I have twice I just have to see how long the hold up. hopefully a good long time because we all know what it's like to do a change of scopes.

Good luck and if you'd like any more information contact me: terry_greer23@hotmail.com

Terry

rawdawg
December 5, 2010, 09:06 PM
:banghead:I have bought the 10-40x 50 tactical. First time I tried to adjust it would not adjust to left enough to center. I return scope to Vender got a second, that does not adjust enough to left or down far enough. I can't find any operating instructions other than generic for all Osprey Scopes. I'm sure they put the same instructions in every scope they build. The optics are great, the Green and Red reticles are great.....but not enough adjustment to adjust cross hairs to target.

piccointegra
January 24, 2011, 02:39 AM
I have the scope for awhile and i never have a problem with.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2NbktMdTcw
i've inserted a video of me shooting at different range200,500 900m 1000m back 200m to test the repeatability of the scope. Im pleased with this scope ive decided not to get a nightforce; instead im getting another osprey and the rest will go to my next rifle build.

BrocLuno
January 27, 2011, 12:44 AM
The fresh faces just keep coming?

REM700TAC
February 3, 2011, 12:11 PM
Got their 10-40x50 in November 2010, unit had some problems, emailed them,
shipped mine, waited a while for replacement, and????, got it- got scope that was returned to them by somebody, or a demo with scratches over the knobs, dead battery, signs of mounting on the rings, fingerprints and matte scratches allover the lens covers. Got upset, emailed them, and they asked to return the returned scope again, and promised sending a brand new unit.
Wow........that's something, shouldn't brand new unit be sent as replacement to start from as replacement for the faulty unit that was month or two old and had problems from very beginning??? Do they need to be caught with the" hand in a cookie jar" and emailed to know that "it would be nice" to send brand new replacement unit not something that was not even cleaned after previous return? Enough is enough. Brandy's emails were apologetic, but it already took more time and patience than I'm willing to spend dealing with $150 scope. Just got another email, they will send me another set of lens covers and new batteries for my now cleaned used replacement.
I have to admit that the quality and looks of the scope is impressive,
- if you get the scope that is problem free. If you need replacement though
return it to store or buy good sneakers as you may need to keep running
back and forth, and keep shipping the returned returns again and again.

country boy marksman
February 6, 2011, 11:37 PM
I find the amount of new guys posting here hilarious! I'm pretty new myself, but I was reading this because at the Pensacola, Fl gun show today, I saw these scopes, and thought they would be great for the Winchester M70 I'm getting! In my opinion, reading this thread has allowed me to dodge a massive (at least .45 caliber :D) bullet, and will definitely get a Nikon, Zeiss, or Leupold instead!

dho3
February 8, 2011, 05:27 PM
I could not tolerate reading this whole thread, but would like to add to it. I have examined Osprey scopes. Junk. The way they sell them at gun shows tell you they are junk. Made in China tells you they are junk. Only a couple of scopes out of China deserve any respect, namely Hawke and Mueller. Other than that, junk. Why do all scopes from China smell like the exact same funk when you open the box? One fellow on here and I do not mean any disrespect bought a LaRue tactical mount to go with this junk. I have never had one, but I think they are expensive. Scopes are technically challenging products and cutting corners gets you no where. Oh I forgot, they use 3M epoxies, that should do the trick.

fallout mike
February 8, 2011, 10:10 PM
Yep, I bought me a barrett .50 and paid $9800.00 for it. Then it was time to get a scope. Started looking at scopes in the $3k range. But then I saw that osprey and it was waaaayyy better than those high end ones. I mean I just had to tap on the adjustment knobs a little every time I turned them. But I mean for the money man. I'm shooting 6 mile shots now because of this here scope. It was sighted in with 1 shot at 100 yards then the next shot I hit bullseye from a mile and a half. I've fired 89,763 shots through it this week and have not had to resight it in. I even accidently ran over it with my truck and still land it didn't even leave a scratch.

dho3
February 9, 2011, 06:31 AM
That's funny. I am gonna have to get me one of those fancy Osprey scopes.

K-Rod
February 9, 2011, 06:47 AM
I know, I shouldn't be commenting to this but,

1). Who pays $10,000 on a Barrett & then pits a $200 scope on it??

2). At $5 a shot, who can afford to put 89+k rounds through said Barrett in a week let alone put a cheap $200 scope on it??

3). Can anyone on THR shoot 89k 50BMG rounds in a week & still be able to type on a keyboard??? If so, can you give me the # of your trainer???

4). Can you shoot 89k rds in a week? I guess it would be fun to try!

5). I obviously have nothing better to do with my time if I'm responding to this thread.

dho3
February 9, 2011, 06:53 AM
That's funny too, assuming you were being facetious, which is difficult to tell this early in the am.

fallout mike
February 9, 2011, 08:24 AM
k-rod, you must not be paying attention or reading this posts on the greatness of these scopes. Here is what these scopes made me do. I had just bought a Swarovski Z6I 5-30X50 for $3200. After I read this thread I went and laid down the $200. After 1 shot I took the Swarovski off and threw that piece of junk as far as I could. I was able to afford to shoot so much bc of $4 a round surplus ammo. So that there saved me $89,000. I see you didnt question it getting ran over with my tank so you must be coming around. to the durability part anyways.

Gromky
February 10, 2011, 02:57 AM
i've inserted a video of me shooting at different range200,500 900m 1000m back 200m to test the repeatability of the scope. Im pleased with this scope ive decided not to get a nightforce; instead im getting another osprey and the rest will go to my next rifle build.

I'm assuming this is not satire because you bothered to link that horrible Youtube video. I suppose I'm probably expecting too much. So you decided that you don't have to buy a $1,500 scope because the $150 one works? I've decided I don't need the Bugatti Veyron because the Ford Focus works. I don't need a stripper because I have a JC Penny catalog. I don't need ammunition, my rifle works as a club.

Why would it only be those extremes?

fallout mike
February 10, 2011, 06:57 AM
I want that video camera he used on that video. One of those shots was supposedly being recorded from somewhere behind the Target. The microphone on the camera was so hood that it literally sounded like the shooter was just rite there when he bolted the gun. That's just amazing. The camera shot actually changed rite before the shot from looking to through the scope at the 900m shot to behind the Target so we could hear the ping of the steel Target. So the microphone picked up the bolt racking from 900m in crystal clear sharpness.

Silverado6x6
February 10, 2011, 07:12 AM
I was surprised to learn that Leatherwood scopes were made in china.

I just cannot put my life out on the limb for anything from China.

If money wasn't an issue I would buy this:
http://swfa.com/Zeiss-6-24x72-SAM-Tactical-Hensoldt-Telescopic-34mm-Sight-P41084.aspx

Its only $12,000

dho3
February 10, 2011, 07:38 AM
I was surprised to learn that Leatherwood scopes were made in china.

I just cannot put my life out on the limb for anything from China.

If money wasn't an issue I would buy this:
http://swfa.com/Zeiss-6-24x72-SAM-Tactical-Hensoldt-Telescopic-34mm-Sight-P41084.aspx

Its only $12,000
You know China has our best interests at heart and they have put their best efforts into building a quality product in the Osprey rifle scope. Since FalloutMike has had such good luck, I am replacing all of my scopes with Ospreys, selling the others on e-bay and buying more rifles and balancing the money enough to put Ospreys on them. I cannot wait to show the guys at my hunting camp. I just need to scan all those receipts into my computer so as not to lose them, but maybe they won't mind if one is missing. What am I talking about. They are Chinese made Osprey rifle scoopes, they will never break. That is what I am going to do.

fallout mike
February 10, 2011, 07:42 AM
Hey 6x6 save your money. U just need to step up to the $250 dollar osprey. I could see getting that zeiss over the $150 model. Their $250 model is an entirely different beast though.

Silverado6x6
February 10, 2011, 07:46 AM
Honestly for the money I would have to stick with what I have on almost everything and thats the Leupold. I can get nearly the same quality if not a better value with Nikon, and believe it or not the Bushnell high end series have a fairly good reputation.

fallout mike
February 10, 2011, 07:49 AM
Exactly dho3. Like I said a few posts ago, an 18 wheeler ran over mine 7 times and didn't even leave a scratch.

dho3
February 10, 2011, 07:51 AM
Yep, maybe I will go with the 250 model on everything. That's the ticket. I think I will start the group Team Osprey. Anybody want to join?

dho3
February 10, 2011, 08:01 AM
Well you know Fallout Mike, that is something important to me to as I frequently have that happen to my rifles and scopes. Why just the other day I left my Hensoldt on the road and an 18 wheeler hit it and it went to pieces. I was awfully disappointed that a scope that costs that much broke when run over by a truck. I called service and they said it was not covered for that abuse. Funny, I thought a scope for that much money was indestructible. So for me, its like stickin' with the pig, I going to stick with Osprey. For a fraction of the money they can do what no other scope can do and seeing how I have my scopes get run over by trucks all the time I just need the Osprey. It must be the USA made 3M epoxies they use.

dho3
February 10, 2011, 08:04 AM
Honestly for the money I would have to stick with what I have on almost everything and thats the Leupold. I can get nearly the same quality if not a better value with Nikon, and believe it or not the Bushnell high end series have a fairly good reputation.
Leupold. Try running over a Leupold 7 times.

fallout mike
February 10, 2011, 08:30 AM
With a tank at that. Although I will admit it was a small tank. I mean, I dont have a german landkreuzer P. 1500 monster that is 42 meters long, weighs 1500 tons and has a crew of 100 on board. But still, it got ran over by a small tank and it was as if nothing happened.

dho3
February 10, 2011, 09:47 AM
With a tank at that. Although I will admit it was a small tank. I mean, I dont have a german landkreuzer P. 1500 monster that is 42 meters long, weighs 1500 tons and has a crew of 100 on board. But still, it got ran over by a small tank and it was as if nothing happened.
Wow. I am going to inventory my rifles now and put my order in today.

fallout mike
February 10, 2011, 09:55 AM
If u wanna see something really cool then Google that tank. The name of it is German Landkreuzer P.1500 Monster

fallout mike
February 10, 2011, 09:57 AM
Biggest tank ever.

dho3
February 10, 2011, 10:14 AM
That tank is as big as my house. Awesome.

dho3
February 10, 2011, 10:16 AM
Just made me think. If Osprey had been making scopes then, I bet they would have ordered some to put on that tank.

fallout mike
February 10, 2011, 10:31 AM
That's freakin hilarious!! I bet they would have used the $250 model or maybe developed a $300 model for that application.

dho3
February 10, 2011, 02:34 PM
I can see it now, an Osprey scope on every corner of the tank and one mounted on that huge gun. Before long, the whole German army would have had one mounted on every sniper rifle and then that farcical propagandizing movie portraying the soviet sniper getting the German sniper could never have happened.

Haxby
February 10, 2011, 04:11 PM
Do you guys think the Osprey 10-40x50 Illuminated Rangefinder Reticle 30mm Tube Tactical Riflescope would be a good choice to put on a Taurus Circuit Judge?
Mainly a SHTF zombie gun.

Gord
February 10, 2011, 05:17 PM
Do it. I ain't never seen a zombie laugh before, and I'd like to before I get eaten.

an 18 wheeler ran over mine 7 times

But did it run the scope over with seven wheels, or did the entire truck run over it seven times? Details, man, details! ;)

REM700TAC
February 10, 2011, 05:46 PM
Hey Mike if you pay for Osprey $250 it must be from jewelry store with gold coated turrets- must be looking good, in the right place the most expensive
model goes for $149.99. Guess just the matter of a gold coating.

REM700TAC
February 10, 2011, 06:07 PM
By the way, anybody tried Counter Sniper scopes?
Curious haw these are?

fallout mike
February 10, 2011, 06:13 PM
The entire truck drove over it 7 times before the German landkreuzer P.1500 monster drove over it. I thought that the tank scratched it but it was just a small piece of track tread from the German landkreuzer P.1500 monster.

kingmt
April 1, 2011, 04:52 PM
I know this thread is very old but it came up when I Googled Osprey & after reading through all of it there wasn't much useful info in it so I would like to add:

I didn't buy the Osprey but I tried the NOS instead(1 x ZOS 10-40x50ESF IR SWAT R19 MilDot Tactical Rifle Scope (ZOS50) =
$128.45). I really like it. this isn't a complaint but the rings that come with it doesn't fit the Weaver mount so I had to find 30mm rings locally. The glass seems very clear, no problems zeroing it, MOA clicks 1=1/8" seem right on, & the price is right. I was going to try the Osprey but this seemed like the same scope with a fee extras & cheaper so I got the NOS. I going to use it for a while but I will probably order more of them.

SentinelStrategic
April 2, 2011, 05:01 AM
I gotta say that I'm a skeptic. Everyone is saying that it's good after 15rds, 40rds, 50rds. The question is, how is it after a case of 200rds of ammo? What about after 2000rds?
Can you zero it, take it off the rifle, do a drop test, and then put it back on and have a perfect or near-perfect return to zero?
How does the optic perform a box test? Are the adjustments accurate and reliable?
Is there any POA/POI shift with magnification change?
I have seen no information of this.

If I recall correctly, the "Tactical" models have 1/8 MOA adjustments, while the others had 1/4. Quite a few had 30mm tubes. They are certainly priced attractively for the features.
Did they mention why they did that, or how much elevation adjustment they had in the turrets?
There is nothing tactical about 1/8 MOA adjustments. I don't know where people got the idea that it was a good thing to incorporate benchrest features into tactical-style scopes. Case in point of doing it wrong- CounterSniper.

I bought one at the last gun show in my area just to give it a whirl and I have to say that I'm impressed so far. My 45-70 killed the BSA 3-9x40 that was on it, so I replaced it with the Osprey 4-16x50 and fired 20 rounds with it. I then purchased an Armalite AR-50 (which fires the BMG) and didn't have a scope for it, so I threw the Osprey on top and have fired 15 rounds so far and she's still working fine. My only complaint is that the knobs to adjust the scope don't always want to work. Usually pecking on them prior to turning them seems to do the trick.
If the knobs don't always want to adjust, and you have to "peck" them to work, that means it's broken or just junk. Turrets should and must be able to be adjusted without any abnormal motions or actions. Sounds like the scope is not very shock resistant.

I received said scope today. It come packages with rings as advertised. I mounted it on my DPMS LR308-AP4. I will have to say the glass looks good. Better than my Nikon Protaff and dang near as good as my Leupold VX-III.
They use Japanese glass, and so does Nikon and Leupold. That's why there's a similarity. The difference is that Nikon and Leupold have proven durability and repeatability.

kingmt
April 3, 2011, 12:31 AM
I gotta say that I'm a skeptic. Everyone is saying that it's good after 15rds, 40rds, 50rds. The question is, how is it after a case of 200rds of ammo? I put about 250 through the rifle it was mounted to.
What about after 2000rds? I'll let you know if I'm still keeping track of this thread then or just PM & ask me.
Can you zero it, take it off the rifle, do a drop test, and then put it back on and have a perfect or near-perfect return to zero? You will have to test that for your self. I have no need of dropping it just to see if I can break it.
How does the optic perform a box test? The rifle I have it on doesn't have a load worked up for this type of test & the outdoor range probably isn't the best place to do it.
Are the adjustments accurate and reliable? Yes
Is there any POA/POI shift with magnification change? I don't know if I changed it even at 25yd I used it on 40x.
I have seen no information of this.

Did they mention why they did that, or how much elevation adjustment they had in the turrets?
There is nothing tactical about 1/8 MOA adjustments. I don't know where people got the idea that it was a good thing to incorporate benchrest features into tactical-style scopes. Case in point of doing it wrong- CounterSniper.
Tactical is just a catchy word used to sell. Since it has mil dots, lighted recitals, & there is a lot of info on the turrets to make adjustments quick "TACTICAL" sounds good.

If the knobs don't always want to adjust, and you have to "peck" them to work, that means it's broken or just junk. Turrets should and must be able to be adjusted without any abnormal motions or actions. Sounds like the scope is not very shock resistant. I didn't have this problem.

They use Japanese glass, and so does Nikon and Leupold. That's why there's a similarity. The difference is that Nikon and Leupold have proven durability and repeatability.
I've had Nikon glass break.

I'm not even saying this is a great scope just trying to post what little I know about it to help the thread out. I'm going to hold out a while before buying another but if it keeps working well I will buy more.

TangoPapa54
April 3, 2011, 01:40 PM
YUP I'm new too...
No recomendations from me!! Just spent the last hour & a half reading thru this :banghead:
Good reading actually..

Armory
April 6, 2011, 06:44 PM
P.....O.....S.....! Save Up, Buy something [Anything] you'll be happy with, and you wont
have to make excuses when stuff starts to break or fall off your scope.

padd54
April 6, 2011, 09:51 PM
I hope you guys realize, most of the responses in thread were B.S. making fun of one persons die hard support foe this poc. :)

kingmt
April 8, 2011, 08:54 PM
Armory

Just wondering if you have ever tried one to justify your opinion.

People just making comments without knowing what they are talking about doesn't help anyone. This is why I revived this thread to start with is because it was mostly people with stupid comments that had no clue. I just want to offer my experience for people seeking truth not perception from someone with no experience. I have used a $80 Center Point for a few years & prefer it over my $200+ Bushnell. So far no problems with the NOS.

dho3
April 9, 2011, 10:10 AM
Armory

Just wondering if you have ever tried one to justify your opinion.

People just making comments without knowing what they are talking about doesn't help anyone. This is why I revived this thread to start with is because it was mostly people with stupid comments that had no clue. I just want to offer my experience for people seeking truth not perception from someone with no experience. I have used a $80 Center Point for a few years & prefer it over my $200+ Bushnell. So far no problems with the NOS.
Plenty of people have posted their experience with this Chicom pos. I have no experience with them because I do not buy anything made in China unless forced due to logistics. In addition, when presented with an optic that promises everything for next to nothing and it is made in China it is sure to be a disaster. If you truly have had great luck with your Osprey, then good for you and I hope you continue to have the same.

OldmanFCSA
April 21, 2011, 09:55 AM
I bought 3 of the Osprey 10x40x50 scopes just to try for fun.
2 are mounted on AR-15 rifles with 16" bull barrels - complete overkill.
But they have been working fine on the no-recoil guns.
I did center the turret caps and re-tightened evenly said set-screws.
Way-TOO-MUCH magnification for my needs.

At a 50BMG shoot last fall, another shooter had his NightForce 5.5x22NSX fail. He wanted to shoot so I gave him my backup scope, the 3rd Osprey 10x40x50, new in box.
I had peeled off the Made In China sticker before. After mounting, we shot 1 round at 100 approx yards, re-set rifle to point of aim, then turned turrets to point of impact, fired another round, dead on point of aim. Then spun in 26.5 MOA and reshot at 1000 yards at dusty berm. Repeated sight-in as stated above. On target in 4 shots. He completed the shoot, over 250 rounds fired thru his 50BMG in 2 days of shooting. He loved the scope. Wanted to buy it. I said $200 (I had paid $168 from Midway plus shipping). Fastest $200 he ever spent. When I gave him the box - complete reversal on opinion - he didn't want any of that cheap Chinese junk on his rifle - he damaged it ripping it off his rifle so fast. I refused at that point to give him his money back. He blasted me for trying to sell him junk. I pointed out that his Nightforce had failed with less than 100 rounds thru it - granted it has proven warranty - and that this Osprey had allowed him to complete the shoot with over 200 rounds thru it - that it worked great for him - that it could still work great for him if he replaced the mount that he damaged during his rant.
Last I heard - he put different rings on it and is still using it on his 50BMG but has removed all the Osprey markings so it looks more "tactical". His NightForce has been repaired and is his backup at this point, mainly because he did not understand how I was able to sight-in his rifle so easily.
I bought Osprey's mainly for this purpose - to recover from a failure while at a Match.
I use 3 Leupolds on my 50's all 8.5X25X50 Mark IV's - 2 of the Illuminated only because that was the model that was quickly available at time of purchase ($1260 to $1400 each). Hundreds of rounds thru each, all working great!
The Osprey used after a failure worked perfectly for its intended purpose.
Would I buy one for full-time use? NO - I will stick with proven Leupold scopes. But I will keep one with me just in case - even if I have to steal it off of one of my AR-15's.
I may be a newbie here but I have been shooting for over 48 years now with no end in sight. At age 10 my first rifle was a Winchester model 260 lever action 22LR. I found another in mint condition a few years ago, bought it, then my daughter claimed it as hers! She enjoys shooting the 50's also - so I have the best shooting partner!!!

Choice
July 23, 2011, 02:39 PM
I just joined because of what I was reading about crappy scopes and where they were put together. Well Nikon is assembled in Philippines and most of the rest of the cheap scopes barska and the rest are assembled in China. Hey I have a few osprey scopes and they do me justice, I have a few Dark Ops scopes and they do the same for me so my question is do you think just because it cost more it's better. Boy if that's the way you think you'll always overpay for everything.

Choice
July 23, 2011, 02:47 PM
By the way Bushnell is made in China also.

dho3
July 24, 2011, 07:46 AM
So you believe if you pay less then you get an equally good product. You are right, those Osprey scopes with the 3M adhesive will take a beating like a RPG strike and keep zero to a 1000 yards. I think I will order one.

Oh contrare mon buddy, top of the line Bushnells are made in Japan while bottom of the line models are made in China.

SentinelStrategic
July 27, 2011, 12:38 AM
I just joined because of what I was reading about crappy scopes and where they were put together. Well Nikon is assembled in Philippines and most of the rest of the cheap scopes barska and the rest are assembled in China. Hey I have a few osprey scopes and they do me justice, I have a few Dark Ops scopes and they do the same for me so my question is do you think just because it cost more it's better. Boy if that's the way you think you'll always overpay for everything.
By this comment, one could presume to claim that a Zeiss Hensoldt or Schmidt&Bender PMII is no better than an Osprey or DarkOps/CounterSniper/<deleted>. However, those of us with real world knowledge know that to be utter nonsense. With optics, you will always get what you pay for. Experts agree to this fact.
And while we're here, can you please explain to me what exactly Bertrillium Zantitium is? I can't seem to find it on the Periodic Table. :scrutiny:

By the way Bushnell is made in China also.
Which ones?

Oh contrare mon buddy, top of the line Bushnells are made in Japan while bottom of the line models are made in China.
Exactly.

At a 50BMG shoot last fall, another shooter had his NightForce 5.5x22NSX fail.
How did it fail? Did the factory give him any information on what went wrong with the scope? I would be curious as to the factory's explanation, because I've seen some NF scopes abused beyond reason and still come out working like Swiss watches. It's very strange that one would fail, and given my experience with them, it's a freak occurrence.

Pat C.
July 27, 2011, 09:21 PM
Well Im new here And going to say sorry to the adminastrator right now!! I have read this hole thread and must say this sit is just like most . 10% of the people know what their talking about , and the rest are full of <deleted>! It seams that when someone asks a question about somthing , if youve never used it Keep your mouth shut. Its not real helpful when someone says it's junk and don't know what their talking about. And for thoughs that use $1000.00 scopes thats great I can't afford one. And don't realy need one. Too thoughs that were helpful and honest on this thread Thankyou!! As for the rest of you your a bunch of frikkin IDIOTS!! Pat C.

SentinelStrategic
July 28, 2011, 02:58 PM
Well Im new here And going to say sorry to the adminastrator right now!! I have read this hole thread and must say this sit is just like most . 10% of the people know what their talking about , and the rest are full of <deleted>!! It seams that when someone asks a question about somthing , if youve never used it Keep your mouth shut. Its not real helpful when someone says it's junk and don't know what their talking about. And for thoughs that use $1000.00 scopes thats great I can't afford one. And don't realy need one. Too thoughs that were helpful and honest on this thread Thankyou!! As for the rest of you your a bunch of frikkin IDIOTS!! Pat C.
Please qualify this statement with more information, facts or experience that would support your position. Explain who is saying what, and what is wrong with what they are saying.
If you can't, than you are the one talking out of your ass.

Frankly, it seems like you are defensive because you can't afford a mid-level $1000 scope and it's making you upset because you have become emotionally invested in something you own or want to own, and departed from factual objective reasoning.

Pat C.
July 28, 2011, 07:36 PM
SS it is quit apparnt you didn't read the intire thread!! Page 2,3 ,5 all have BS statements And thats what I found at a quik glance!! Now as for me being jelous about not having a $1000.00 mid range scope , I think I posted I DON'T NEED ONE!!! Hello !! If you posted something helpful Then Thank you. If not then maybe it's your one of the latter!! My point is if someone asked about somthing theres a good chance they need help, And a bunch of BS remarks don't help!! Good Day

hso
July 30, 2011, 02:35 PM
I'd agree that if you don't have any experience you shouldn't chime in UNLESS you've done extensive research for yourself and/or others and you have that real effort to share. If you've just read something once or twice, it's gossip, not research.

Panhead-52
July 30, 2011, 07:39 PM
I have the 10x40x50 it is on a Bushmaster AR-M4 16in b.

this scope has worked ok for me out to 100 yd. so far it holds zero ,mag after 35 power is a little fuzzy,I have put about 600 rds. down range not a bad scope for 140.00.This scope is not as good as my Luepold but at less then 2/3 the cost it`s not bad.

fallout mike
August 2, 2011, 07:38 AM
So it still continues. All the big supporters of these great scopes is brand new members.

fallout mike
August 2, 2011, 07:56 AM
Pat, your statement is, uh, lacking coherence. The reason for the entire thread was not for someone asking a question. It was to promote a new line of scopes. And then several people talked about their experience. The hilarious part is that immediately we read posts about how great they were from many people who were posting their first post. Almost as if they work for osprey or something. So, your issue is with the people that had these scopes that fell apart and posted about it and bc of their bad review of it? And yet again from someone that just joined. There are too many knowledgeable people on this site to sell you guys story to.

Pat C.
August 3, 2011, 05:14 PM
Fine Mike Fine Whatever !! Pat C.

NRA Distinguished Expert
August 30, 2011, 04:40 AM
Hello LEAHCIM... I just took delivery (from Sportsmansguide) of an Osprey Tactical Scope..... So far 50 rounds in .308) things look good.
However, since it is a fairly new company & obviousley has/is going/gone through startup problems I & I'm sure others would like to know your contact information. Please tell us your contact information for the return transaction..... Thanks.....
Hello SgtMajor,
I just took delivery from Sportsman Guide of an Osprey Tactical Scope.. So far 30 rounds in 30-06 and things look good.

fallout mike
August 30, 2011, 06:33 AM
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

NRA Distinguished Expert
September 1, 2011, 08:42 PM
Rem 700 BDL w/new XMark Pro trigger at 2lb, Osprey 10-40x50 Tactical Scope, Blackhawk Knoxx Axiom Recoil system, temp-cntl system.
All new components assembled, locked and loaded.
Ready to punch out at 500 Yd (457 m).
Ammo -165 Gr Core Lokt @0.339cf, Velocity = 2800fps, Energy = 2819 Ft-Lbs

Perfect atmospheric conditions, Alt=1100 ft, temp=80, cross wind = calm, humidity=17%, Pres 29.92.

500 yd Results = 2 inch groups, at Velocity= 1622 fps, Energy = 1000 ft lbs.

fallout mike
September 1, 2011, 09:09 PM
See post number 143

Panhead-52
September 3, 2011, 08:10 PM
If you goto there web site they have info on uesing that system.

otiac
September 17, 2011, 10:35 AM
Let me throw some petrol on the fire;yup,I went for the BS and ordered one online fr OP.
After getting little response for the delay ,I got one from another vendor. Surprise is that all that I have spoken to ,that have used it, say it IS a good scope FTM.otiac

ammoman
October 4, 2011, 05:06 PM
And they refused to honor there warranty even refused to acknowledge that they received the items back! Over 1 year and 100 phone calls they still act like they have no clue who I am and have only returned 1 phone call. I suggest you avoid this product. Unless you like dealing with aggravated customers that want there money back !!
30% guys!! save your money buy something better!! heck even ncstar only has had a 5% failure and they are happy to replace there scopes WITH NO COST OR QUESTIONS ASKED!!
:banghead:

Dravur
October 4, 2011, 05:53 PM
Holy Thread Necromancy!

Pat C... hmmmmm, Don't be a Patsy for Osprey. They are junk with bad service. Seems pretty simple. Most of the people that have any credibility on here have said that the one they got would not hold zero, would fall apart and most have a story about how bad the CS is.

The funny thing is. If you go look at threads about companies like Nightforce, Trijicon, and especially Aimpoint.. you get things like... "My aimpoint was shot by a terrorist in Afghanistan, can you fix it?" and Aimpoint comes through with a new one.

You rarely hear of an Aimpoint falling apart, and if you do, it is a rare occurrence and Aimpoint fixes it. Even trijicon, who doesn't have the best CS will replace a bad ACOG, lickety split. Ask me how I know.

So, a few rave reviews from someone new to a site saying that their new Osprey POS scope is better than having a world class sniper shooting for you, vs LOTS of peeps stating that the ones they got fell apart, etc.

Hmmmm, that is a toughie. There is a famous pic of a van with the words... Free Candy hand painted on the side. For some reason, this thread IS that van.

"Go For It... Seems Legit"

Strykervet
October 4, 2011, 06:54 PM
There is ONE Chinese scope that I would endorse. Those SWFA SS scopes, the cheap ones, are actually not that bad for the price. They also are pretty plain and don't have lots of features or gimmicks. My buddy actually carried one in Iraq years ago. This dude had it mounted on a personal Whitefeather that he got papers to take. He could have used a better scope, he had one and had access to basically everything the Bde. had on paper in the armsrooms. I used it myself and was impressed.

On the other hand, we got some ATN's to play with. Now those were JUNK! I tried to get them to take the junk back and replace it and I got such a difficult time I just said forget about it. So I torture tested the one I had left --it made it a day. If they get wet, they are trashed. Plain and simple.

That SS Scope is the only decent cheapie available that I know of. Not that there aren't others, I just don't know of them. When it comes to durability of a combat optic, I kind of lean towards Trijicon and Aimpoint. I'm not a fan of the Aimpoint, but I have seen firsthand how much of a beating one can take and am impressed.

I think the SS scopes even have an NSN now. That says something I guess.

When Osprey can make a scope with the same following, I'll be interested.

millertyme
October 5, 2011, 12:49 PM
Fubar
Well Im new here And going to say sorry to the adminastrator right now!! I have read this hole thread and must say this sit is just like most . 10% of the people know what their talking about , and the rest are full of <deleted>! It seams that when someone asks a question about somthing , if youve never used it Keep your mouth shut. Its not real helpful when someone says it's junk and don't know what their talking about. And for thoughs that use $1000.00 scopes thats great I can't afford one. And don't realy need one. Too thoughs that were helpful and honest on this thread Thankyou!! As for the rest of you your a bunch of frikkin IDIOTS!! Pat C.

You're calling folks idiots? Get a dictionary, bud.

Pat C.
October 6, 2011, 11:12 PM
You got me Miller Spelling is not my forte!! But I think it was Samul Clements that said { It is a wise man that can spell a word more than one way } And Miiler if you don't know how to spell a word what good is a dictionary?? Take Care Pat C.:evil:

Snakepit
December 31, 2011, 08:17 PM
Thought I would throw in my two cents worth to get this thread going again. About a year and a half ago I bought one of the Osprey 10-40x50 MilDot scopes and mounted it on my Rem 700 .300 mag and after about 250 rounds I have had no problems with it. That scope is sighted in at 200 yds and has shot a 1.5 inch 5 shot group several times. The best scope I have is a NightForce and the cheapest is my Osprey. As I have several scope rifles and since I cannot afford multiple expensive scopes like the NightForce I thought I would try the Osprey. I recently bought a Savage 12 F/TR .308 and thought I would try another Osprey 10-40x50 and bought it very cheap on line, less than I had paid for my original one at a gun show. I mounted the Osprey on the Savage and after sighting it in at 200 yds it shot a 1 inch 5 shot group at 200 yds. My Osprey is not quite as good as my NightForce but it is not that bad either. At high magnifications the NightForce is slightly sharper. At 400 yds with the Savage I have shot 2 inch groups of 5 shots. The only problem I have had with it is when we tried it at 600 yds it was running out of elevation adjustment. I put a 20 MOA base on it and that took care of that.

As far as their service, just recently my friend dropped his rifle with the same model Osprey scope from the shooting bench and put a dent in it. Their warranty is a no fault warranty and they replaced his scope free of charge in a timely manner. My only return was when I over tightened the nut on one of the scope mounts on my first Ospery. I thought what the heck so I called them and told them what I had done and they sent me a new pair of scope mounts free of charge.

Is Ospery the best scope out there, no it is not. Is it a good scope for the money, for me it has been. What scope do I recommend for your rifle, then just tell me how much money you have to spend. I am not a competition shooter but just a plinker who wants to have fun. Even when I bought my Savage 12 F/TR .308 on line for $1058 I had people at the range saying I should have bought this or that custom rifle, with this or that custom stock or barrel. I have a lot of rifles and like shooting all of them, espically my AR-15 and do not want to put all my money into just a couple of expensive guns and scopes.

Before it is brought up as it has been in several other post in this thread. I do not work for Ospery, and do not know anyone who works for them. Also, just because I do not have a thousand postings on this site does not mean I can not have a valid opinion. I have been surprised at some of the reactions people have posted on this thread but I guess it takes all kinds to make this world go around. Or using their logic maybe they work for Ospery's competition.

Well Now
January 19, 2012, 11:55 PM
I'm brand new here as of today. I was browsing and I saw the thread so I wanted to put my 2 cents in.

Let me give you a story about Osprey's customer service from where I stand.

May of 2011, I purchased an Osprey scope from one of their authorized dealers I went out and sighted in in about a month later and fired maybe 200 rounds (.223).

Then in August, I went out again to the range and as I was shooting, I noticed I was turning my rifle to the left and it kept getting worse as I shot. Finally after about 200 rounds my rifle was almost 90 degrees to the left to keep the reticle in it's proper position.

The next day I called C.S and received a return authorization dated 8-09-11 and I sent the scope in. Didn't hear from them and I figured, okay they are fixing it so I'll wait. After a month I called and was told the scope was not repairable and that the scope was out of stock at the moment but should be back in stock in a few weeks.

I waited another month and called, this time they were having problems getting that model scope to focus and wouldn't send them out until they were sure they were okay.

Another month goes by so I call again telling them I have a hunt coming up and I need the scope. They offer a lesser model to replace my scope and I said "no, I want the model I bought originally".

December rolls around so I call again, this time I'm told "you'll have your scope in two weeks."

The last week of December I call again asking where my scope is and I'm told, "you'll have it next week". I said "I'm really getting tired of this as I've been dealing with delays since September. I then said all of your authorized dealers have them in stock, why don't you have them drop ship me one and you reimburse them, or send me my money back and I'll get one from them, obviously it will be quicker than waiting for you to send me one.

C.S. says to me, You'll have one next week for sure". Well next week was last week and here's another week gone by without the scope, and they don't answer the phones on Friday so i'll have to wait until Monday to call.

Great customer service.....B.S! I've been waiting 5 months now, and also flat out lied to by their "great customer service representative".

Remember this little tidbit when you think about buying an Osprey. By the way, I do like the scope, even if it failed, it's the customer service I'm ranting about and that is a major portion of any company.

If you enjoyed reading about "NEW line of Scopes - OSPREY INTERNATIONAL" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!