Yolk bearing on Yolk stud-how the heck...

PDA

Atticus
August 21, 2003, 07:00 PM
How the heck do you get those things on? The bearings/washers I ordered from Brownell's arrived today. They APPEAR to be smaller in diameter than the yolk stud. Am I missing something or are these the wrong bearings?

If you enjoyed reading about "Yolk bearing on Yolk stud-how the heck..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bountyhunter
August 21, 2003, 07:28 PM
Maybe those are the crane (yoke) tube washers that are used to shim out end play in the cylinder? If so, they would be the same diameter as the crane tube the cylinder rides on.

Jim K
August 21, 2003, 08:19 PM
If we are talking S&W, they go inside the cylinder from the front, around the ejector rod. They fit against the inside back of the cylinder and can be tricky to fit. The headspace on an S&W is controlled by the back of the cylinder arbor bearing on the inside back of the cylinder. To decrease headspace, a shim can be inserted, to increase (rarely necessary) trim the back of the arbor.

Jim

Atticus
August 21, 2003, 08:27 PM
Thanks. That's what it is. The instructions include a section for new S&W revolvers, which shows the bearing fitting over the yolk stud -and they have a diagram illustrating that. After carefully re-reading the whole set of instructions, I finally understand. I'm getting to know my revolver better than I wanted to...although that's a good thing I guess. Thanks again. :D

Atticus
August 21, 2003, 08:29 PM
Jim- It is a S&W. They go in from the front? Front meaning toward the barrel I assume. I've got to go to a parent / teacher thang right now, but I'll play with it later. Tips are greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

If you enjoyed reading about "Yolk bearing on Yolk stud-how the heck..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!