Oleg might need a minor edit to his "Changes At THR" post...

PDA

Green Lantern
June 3, 2008, 01:02 AM
Specifically this part:

Political topics go into Activism Discussion forum -- provided they are accompanied by plans of action. Mere griping is no longer appropriate for THR. If you want to discuss an injustice or a political development, propose a remedy!

I mean, I thought that ALL political discussion was verboten for a while now. But then I came across that in a sticky in General Gun Discussions, and thought "hey hey hey...!"

So, I posted a topic following the above guidelines. Not just for the sake of doing it either, something I felt was rather important. And it got wiped off the face of the internets in a matter of moments.

So, guess my first hunch WAS right, then. ;)

No big deal (I'm dusting off my APS account as I type), but it might be easier for all involved if we remove ANY doubt that politics are a no-go 'round here.

If you enjoyed reading about "Oleg might need a minor edit to his "Changes At THR" post..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jeff White
June 3, 2008, 01:36 AM
Green Lantern;
I just reviewed your thread in activism. (Mod powers let us do neat things like that) And I concur with BullfrogKen that your thread was not activism. No where in it did you have a plan of action or even a suggestion of what we, the members of THR and our friends and families could do about it. Your thread was purely political post that would be inappropriate anywhere at THR.

This is what it says in the description of the Activism forum:

Activism (9 Viewing)
A place to coordinate focused efforts for RKBA.

Nothing in your thread suggested any action to coordinate a focused effort for RKBA. The activism forum is not where politics has moved. Your topic was inappropriate.

Urging members to get out the vote on CCW or call their representative about pending legislation, becoming involved in a political campaign or a petition drive...those are political subjects that are on topic in activism.

The hue and cry posts and the "we're doomed if candidate A is elected posts are off topic everywhere at THR.

Jeff

Green Lantern
June 3, 2008, 08:48 AM
Admittedly, my "plan" wasn't well defined in the post, and in the middle of it rather than the end...

But I did mention that I emailed two places of interest that would have sway, to explain to them why they should NOT do this. Which was about the only activism that I could think of - though I'd have been open to other ideas too...

Mal H
June 3, 2008, 11:56 AM
Oh come on, GL, your thread was solely about outrage that Bloomberg could be picked as the VP by McCain. (Outrage that many of us share, BTW.) However, popping off a few emails on your own does not make it into a focused plan of attack.

Oleg's subject thread needs no editing at all. It is plainly worded and the meaning is clear.

Green Lantern
June 3, 2008, 11:30 PM
Ok, let me first say - "I surrender." I've no intent of trying to resurrect the thread. This thread here was never about bringing back the old one, but clarifying what is and isn't allowed.

Of course, I understand that one guy sending emails isn't going to make much of a difference. A *lot* of guys sending emails might, and the more people there are thinking about something, the more likely it is that one of 'em will come up with an even BETTER idea...

If I already had a really GOOD idea to try and remedy this unacceptable notion, I'd have put it in Activism rather than Activism Discussion and Planning.

But, I still don't - so can I plug APS (http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?board=5.0) and urge anyone interested to head over there for brainstorming? :)

Thernlund
June 3, 2008, 11:49 PM
I thought that ALL political discussion was verboten for a while now....but it might be easier for all involved if we remove ANY doubt that politics are a no-go 'round here.

While the official line is that politics are not allowed, some political discussion is occasionally tolerated as long as it's kept strictly and strongly gun related.

Due to the volatility of politics and religion, those two topics are held to MUCH stricter standard than is other types of discussion.

Just thought I'd toss that out there.

-T.

If you enjoyed reading about "Oleg might need a minor edit to his "Changes At THR" post..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!