Neat old S&W MP. Birthday?

PDA

sgt127
August 22, 2003, 01:21 AM
Greetings all. Since you were kind enough last time to help me out with my old M-28. I'm back. (kind of like the cat you feed once, I'm not going away now) Picked this up a couple years ago, about 99%+ with an original S.D. Meyers, El Paso holster. Hard to photgrapgh this thing, thats a funny shadow on the grip, no chip. Ser # C2304##. Anybody know how old this little guy is?

If you enjoyed reading about "Neat old S&W MP. Birthday?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mike Irwin
August 22, 2003, 02:05 AM
It's transitional... sometime in the late 1940s to early 1950s is my guess.

Now let's check the book and see if I'm right...

Hum... I'd say I'm pretty spot on.

The C prefix came into production in 1948 at C1, and the front sight was changed from the half-moon to the modern ramp in 1952.

I'd say it's 1951 or 1952.

S&W was making a LOT of M&Ps in those days.

sgt127
August 22, 2003, 02:12 AM
Thank you sir. What is THE definitive S&W history book if I might ask?

C.R.Sam
August 22, 2003, 03:05 AM
Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson, second edition is a good one.

Sam

C.R.Sam
August 22, 2003, 03:09 AM
Great price on Standard Cat here.
http://books.shoppingsavvy.com/data/redir.php?code=577537
And they ship cheap too, n fast.

Sam

sgt127
August 22, 2003, 03:24 AM
Thank you C.R. Sam. I just ordered it based on your recomendation.

wunderkind
August 22, 2003, 01:11 PM
Ahhh...you've been bitten by the M&P bug too?

Let's hope the general preoccupation with the tiny Kahr's and micro 1911's continues on-that'll mean more of these will be available to us M&P fans!

That 'old-fashioned' 2" Smith is still relevant. In a tight-hugging pancake holster it probably disappears against the side for carry purposes. Small enough to pack, enough heft to absorb recoil.

You truly have a gun that is at home as a show piece, a carry piece, or a range plinker. A contemporary T-Grip would complete the picture!

(Gotta work that M&P-that's a working man's gun-it would be a shame if it sat in a safe unfired...)

As for the El Paso holster, a friend has the Threepersons model for a 625-2. Instant drool and it didn't really cost more than a plain-jane Galco! (Just took time to hand-stitch it)

Enjoy!

If you enjoyed reading about "Neat old S&W MP. Birthday?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!