Best handgun under $100

PDA

RyanM
June 7, 2008, 11:22 AM
For some inexplicable reason, I've got an itch that can only be scratched by an incredibly cheap handgun. A hundred bucks is the absolute upper limit.

Pretend you're poor and destitute. You make just barely enough money to keep a shingle (and only one!) over your head, and food-like substance on your door-on-cinderblocks table. Saving up any additional cash at all is an impossibility. Your last living relative just died, and you inherited the princely sum of $100. But his will states that the money has to be spent on a handgun. What would you buy?

Or maybe pretend that your wife has allowed you to spend $800 on a gun, and you managed to find a place selling said gun for $700. But you have permission to spend $800, which means that, like Congress, you must spend that amount, or the remaining money dissapears into limbo (and you get less next time!). But the physical purchase also has to be small enough to sneak into the house in your pocket and hide in the back of the safe, which means a handgun. What would you buy?

Or maybe you won a $100 shopping spree that can be used in any gun store, anywhere, but can only be spent on a handgun. What would you buy?

Whatever scenario that results in a straight answer, rather than a suggestion to buy ammo (have enough), magazines (have enough), training (need badly, but can't travel to it), or something else. Has to be a handgun.

I've seen the FEG APs that Centerfire Systems has for $90, but I fondled a PA-63 at my local store today. It's about 3 miles from the backstrap to the trigger, in double action. I'd need to hold the gun in one hand and press the trigger with the other. That one's definitely out.

So what else is there?

Oh, and no pot metal. I have a hard enough time trusting firearms that involve aluminum, let alone zinc.

If you enjoyed reading about "Best handgun under $100" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MachIVshooter
June 7, 2008, 11:48 AM
I'd keep after the used stuff. I've turned up a few decent handguns for under $100, like this Meriden top-break .38 for $75.

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Hunter2506/Meriden.jpg

I have to say, though-for under $100, there really isn't much. Under $200 opens up 20 times the selection.

MICHAEL T
June 7, 2008, 12:08 PM
I bought a Iver Johnson top break in 38S&W for $80 its tight and a good little shooter. Not my first choice but if all I had I would carry Many a person did in years past.

Goblin
June 7, 2008, 12:13 PM
I haven't seen a $100 gun in years!!! Do they really exist??

Seafarer12
June 7, 2008, 12:34 PM
I have an old 1903 FN 32 acp I paid 100 bucks for. Thats about the cheapest next to the KT P32 I got for 200 for it and 120 rounds of federal hydra shock ammo. It would have been worth about 100 without the ammo.

kentucky_smith
June 7, 2008, 12:37 PM
Maybe a Heritage .22. I'd rather have half a case of ammo.

19-3Ben
June 7, 2008, 12:44 PM
Probably the Russian Nagant revolver. They can be had with cleaning kit and holster for $80.

I've never held one but by all accounts they have a horrific trigger, but are dead nuts reliable. From all reports I've read, I'd be willing to trust my life to one. If course I'd rather have my Gemini Customs SP101, but if a Nagant was all I could afford, that'd be my choice over all the Zinc stuff.

jad0110
June 7, 2008, 03:16 PM
19-3 beat me to it. The Nagant revolvers are fugly, but they do work.

kingpin008
June 7, 2008, 04:39 PM
Oh, and no pot metal.

You just cut a lot of your possibilities here.

makarovnik
June 7, 2008, 04:42 PM
You used to be able to find a new Hi-Point .380 for under $100. With price increases they probably go for $120 now. You can find a used Hi-Point in .380, 9mm, .40 or .45 for under $100. Buy a used one and send it in to Hi-Point and they will check it out and probably update it. They will at least put all new springs in it and maybe a new slide. Lifetime warranty whether or not you're the original owner.

W.E.G.
June 7, 2008, 04:58 PM
Unless you are a FFL, you gotta ship handguns "blue label."

What is that these days? -- something like $40 for one handgun?

I think I'd rather spend $20 on a shovel, and just bury a Hi-Point that has problems I can't fix myself.

Quiet
June 7, 2008, 06:04 PM
+1 on the Nagant revolver.

$80 for a reliable .30 cal revolver.

Flash!
June 7, 2008, 06:27 PM
I love my Nagant revolver......but if this person is so poor that he can only afford a $100 gun, he won't be able to afford the 7.62 nagant ammo....

Heavy Metal Hero
June 7, 2008, 06:56 PM
I am pretty sure I would just use the extra $100 on ammo or a nice holster for the said $700 gun.

BigBlock
June 7, 2008, 07:17 PM
Budsgunshop.com has .45 High Points for $160 shipped. They were only around $120 not very long ago. :rolleyes:

You could probably whore yourself out for that extra 60 bucks. ;)

19-3Ben
June 7, 2008, 07:36 PM
I love my Nagant revolver......but if this person is so poor that he can only afford a $100 gun, he won't be able to afford the 7.62 nagant ammo....
Not that it's a huge bargain, but I thinj they also shoot .32H&R don't they?

mejeepnut
June 7, 2008, 07:43 PM
An old H&R.Top break or swing out cylinder,any caliber.

zxcvbob
June 7, 2008, 07:45 PM
How about a 8mm Label revolver, with a pitted bore? I'm pretty sure that would be classified as an antique, which relaxes the regulations quite a bit. Or a similar-condition Webley.

Not too long ago you could get a CZ-52 for that price.

RyanM
June 7, 2008, 09:42 PM
You just cut a lot of your possibilities here.

Making things easy takes all the fun out of them!

---------------

Budsgunshop.com has .45 High Points for $160 shipped. They were only around $120 not very long ago.

1, no pot metal. 2, local store has them for less.

---------------

A few votes for the Nagant. But how's the trigger reach on those? I have a freakishly short trigger finger, which sort of limits my choices. I cannot comfortably reach the DA trigger of a K-frame (with teeny factory grips), for instance, but a Ruger SP-101 is fine.

Extremely long trigger reach is the reason I'm passing on the FEG AP. Looks like the only decent sub-C-note guns out there are that, and old revolvers with looooong looking triggers.

I'm just trying to find a cheap "beater" gun that I wouldn't be particularly concerned about loaning to a friend, or sticking it in a glovebox, or taping it inside the door of a safe, or something. And that's not being concerned either way, neither about it getting lost or damaged, nor about whether it will work if needed. Plus, I don't buy crappy guns just on general principles. Hence, cheap but not pot metal.

Going to be making a pretty large gun purchase come Monday, so $100 is the limit. Pistol or a half case of ammo.

Quiet
June 7, 2008, 10:52 PM
You can safely use .32S&W Long out of a Nagant Revolver.
You can also get a .32ACP replacement cylinder for it, which some people have been boring out to take .32H&R Magnum.

BigBlock
June 8, 2008, 01:17 AM
1, no pot metal.

Do High Points even have any metal? :D

chris in va
June 8, 2008, 01:27 AM
It's sad when the single mother of two can't find anything to protect herself from the ex-whatever for $100.

If they can build the Liberator 45 for $2, surely something stamped could be made serviceable. Heck, look at AK's. We pay what...$350 for a semiauto version. How much does it cost the factory to make them, hmm?

RyanM
June 8, 2008, 01:46 AM
You know, I've actually played with the idea of designing a pistol with a stamped steel frame. Most of Glock's patents have expired, so I could rip off their internal parts design (which makes extensive use of stampings).

About the only parts that would need to be machined, with the right design, would be the slide, firing pin, and barrel. And the slide could be vastly simplified by using a bolt inside of a stamped receiver instead, sorta like the Ruger Mk.II.

Only real problem I can think of is that hammer-fired designs are probably more suited to straight-blowback pistols. The mainspring really helps slow down the slide/bolt from opening too soon.

Just doing a very basic cost analysis, once all the equipment is paid for, I figure pistols like that in .22 LR through .380 ACP could be produced for under $20 each, with an MSRP of about $125. And they'd be much better quality than the die-cast junk that occupies that price range now.

Anyone have about a million and a half they'd care to loan me?

mr.trooper
June 8, 2008, 01:53 AM
Do High Points even have any metal?

Dude...they weight 5 pounds. The slide alone on the 45 weighs as much as an entire 1911, and it has a steel frame to boot. When they jam, they make FINE clubs...or boat anchors.

mejeepnut
June 8, 2008, 02:59 AM
Today, 01:27 AM #22
chris in va

It's sad when the single mother of two can't find anything to protect herself from the ex-whatever for $100.

If they can build the Liberator 45 for $2, surely something stamped could be made serviceable. Heck, look at AK's. We pay what...$350 for a semiauto version. How much does it cost the factory to make them, hmm?

Just for fun!

OK,figure in inflation for the Liberator,call it $20 in todays money.Add in shipping,about $25.FFL transfer fee,another $25.Unless you can find one local a Liberator is now a $70 firearm,add in the price of enough ammo to get to know the gun and have a box on hand.Twigs are a no cost item(needed for reloading the gun!).
With the cost of ammo the Liberator is now out of the question because you are over the $100 limit!I know that the original question did not ask about ammo but I figured I would add it just to be a Richard Cranium!

Quiet
June 8, 2008, 03:07 AM
During the time period the Liberator pistol cost $2 to make, it costed $6 to make a Sten Mark 2.

RyanM
June 8, 2008, 03:16 AM
Dude...they weight 5 pounds. The slide alone on the 45 weighs as much as an entire 1911, and it has a steel frame to boot.

Are you sure the frame is steel? I was under the impression that the frame was still zinc, with polymer over it.

----------

OK,figure in inflation for the Liberator,call it $20 in todays money.Add in shipping,about $25.FFL transfer fee,another $25.Unless you can find one local a Liberator is now a $70 firearm,add in the price of enough ammo to get to know the gun and have a box on hand.Twigs are a no cost item(needed for reloading the gun!).

That's only if you're forced to buy a liberator and have it transferred, though. On the other hand, if the Liberator were a current production item, and common enough to be in stock... well, the delivered price, that the military paid, for a Liberator, a stick, instruction manual, box, and 10 rounds of ammo, was $2.40. Call it $28 in today's money.

So okay, the Army pays $28. Comparing the unit cost for the M-16 vs. civilian AR-15s, and for M203s, looks like Uncle Sam gets about a 50% discount compared to your typical shelf price in a gun store.

That makes it $56 in today's money.

theotherwaldo
June 8, 2008, 03:23 AM
If you really have to go cheap, just remember: Black Powder can be your friend.

Bullzaye
June 8, 2008, 08:02 AM
RyanM posted:
Extremely long trigger reach is the reason I'm passing on the FEG AP. Looks like the only decent sub-C-note guns out there are that, and old revolvers with looooong looking triggers.

I'm just trying to find a cheap "beater" gun that I wouldn't be particularly concerned about loaning to a friend, or sticking it in a glovebox, or taping it inside the door of a safe, or something.

If you're talking about loaning it to a friend, your trigger reach isn't really an issue. If you're talking about you using a PA-63, you could either leave the chamber empty and cycle the action just prior to using it, thereby cocking the hammer and reducing the trigger reach considerably, or more simply...just cock the hammer yourself before firing it.

Without finding an unusual deal on a used gun, I doubt you're going to find anything much better than the PA-63 for your $100 limit. While the Nagant fills the bill and is a decent gun, the cartridge is anemic, hard to find, and expensive. I don't believe that .32 S&W Long is much better. Plus, the trigger is HORRIBLE. At least 9x18mm ammo is available and relatively affordable.

tinygnat219
June 8, 2008, 08:34 AM
What eva's in the gangsta's trunk.

MEH
June 8, 2008, 08:41 AM
Beretta 950 Jetfire .25 ACP $98.00, My Mother bought it for me as a gift...

http://guns4u.info/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/9_elenco.jpg

searcher451
June 8, 2008, 12:09 PM
There's a NIB, made-in-Italy Jetfire on GunsAmerica right now for only $599 (don't forget shipping and transfer fees). I'd say that somebody'd better jump on it right now.

Right Wing Wacko
June 8, 2008, 12:16 PM
One can get a Hi-Point 9mm for very close to $100. It's a butt ugly gun, but it's a gun, and it works!

Claude Clay
June 8, 2008, 12:25 PM
32 acp has enough rim for hand ejectors or top breaks. i fire them often in any of my 32 s&w's , longs and H&R's.

MCgunner
June 8, 2008, 01:00 PM
I haven't seen a $100 gun in years!!! Do they really exist??

That was my thought. LOL We can work at 200 bucks, but at 100, I'm clueless. :D It would HAVE to be something used, I guess, like maybe a used Makarov or Tokarev or something.

If you really have to go cheap, just remember: Black Powder can be your friend.

Yeah, maybe a .41 Derringer replica, maybe a kit. :D I got a .31 pocket Remington out of Gander Mountain on sale for 60 bucks and it's a well built, but brass framed, gun. The brass is strong enough on a .31 with a tops strap IMHO, though.

Hoffy
June 8, 2008, 01:41 PM
SORRY: I DIDN'T READ YOUR POST CAREFULLY ENOUGH TO SEE THAT YOU ALREADY RULED THIS ONE OUT.

Check out this .32 acp from centerfiresystems that I just picked up for $89.

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/AP-765AP-MBP.aspx

With the exception of the $169 east german makarov I picked up on a great deal, this is best firearm investment that I have ever made...dollar for dollar. I sprung for an extra magazine ($20 from the same outfit) and keep the rig in a bulgarian makarov holster that I picked up for around $10. I stripped the finish off the aluminum frame with steel wool (the slide is blued), giving it the same sharp two tone look as a pa-63.

It beats my similarly priced m1895 nagant for value, though the old revolver is a bushel of fun as well and I could get it direct with my C&R licence.

Cuzzin
June 8, 2008, 02:05 PM
Sorta an answer - go to the gun shows an look for an older H&R Snake Tamer - kinda reduced size single shot 410 with pistol grip that can be loaded with some very nasty rounds and reloaded pretty fast when needed. New ones are about $140.00 - a used one should be under the $100.00 cap. What do I win???

AZAndy
June 8, 2008, 02:37 PM
I'm on the Nagant bandwagon. Forget about shooting it double-action, though.

7 rounds in a revolver is extremely tacticool. ;-)

PA-63 in single action, as previously mentioned, isn't a bad option either-- though if you don't want aluminum, it's not for you. Easy to carry and plenty accurate, and 9x18 beats the heck out of anything you can shoot in a Nagant. I guess I just changed my mind.

Hawk
June 8, 2008, 03:06 PM
CZ-52s are sometimes seen in the wild for 100.00.

psychophipps
June 8, 2008, 06:09 PM
Fully functional first Gen G17 with one hi-cap magazine (purchased the gun a few months before the ban lifted) and one 10-rounder for $100. I use it as my daily carry.

What? ;)

MCgunner
June 8, 2008, 06:31 PM
I'm on the Nagant bandwagon. Forget about shooting it double-action, though.

Hell, SA takes two fingers. :eek: It's well made and all steel. Beyond that, things go down hill fast with this one.

TimboKhan
June 8, 2008, 06:32 PM
While the Nagant fills the bill and is a decent gun, the cartridge is anemic, hard to find, and expensive. I don't believe that .32 S&W Long is much better. Plus, the trigger is HORRIBLE.

All true, but there just isn't a lot of options at this price point. Taking all the above into account, you also have to look at it for it's historical and coolness value. I mean, if your looking for a good gun with which to defend yourself, save more money, sell some blood, have a garage sale or whatever you need to do to bump your budget up. If you want a gun thats interesting and fun to shoot, the Nagant will probably be your best bet.

Gord
June 8, 2008, 06:37 PM
You've got the Nagant revolvers, and... yeah, that's about it. Of course, the ammo bill will eclipse the cost of the gun in short order.

Dunno if it's made of potmetal or not (probably) but the Phoenix HP22 seems to have a pretty good rep as supercheap pocket guns go. Bonus: it's (predictably) chambered in .22LR, so if it jams constantly you can just blame the ammo. ;)

hatchetbearer
June 8, 2008, 06:46 PM
A friend of mine bought a 4" .357 rossi for $75 last year, and sold it for $50 without telling me....

Phoenix HP22 seems to have a pretty good rep as supercheap pocket guns go. Bonus: it's (predictably) chambered in .22LR, so if it jams constantly you can just blame the ammo

Phoenix arms is in the "ring of fire" chain that includes jennings and bryco. which i have seen many fly apart in people's hands, one on the next round after i quit firing it also made from zinc.

rrflyer
June 8, 2008, 07:06 PM
i bought a break open, single shot, .45/410, stamp steel, pistol for 40 bucks at a gun show one time. Shot it about 20 times and then gave it to an old friend.

The .410 would drop pellets on your foot and then straight out to about 25 yards.

Never got brave enough to try a .45 long colt in it.

But it fits your description

MCgunner
June 8, 2008, 07:16 PM
I have an HP22 and it's not a bad little gun, but it won't last forever. It's quite accurate and pretty reliable. I would never carry it for defense, but it's a good plinker and outdoor companion. There are far better guns, but I gave 70 bucks for it and, thing is, it's so bloomin' accurate and fits in a pocket, it's kinda cool. I don't put many rounds through it. It's had probably 4K through it in its life. I don't know if I'd expect it to last 10K. But, it's so cheap, who cares? :D

That said, my little Rossi kit gun, a M511 Sportsman revolver, is all stainless and will no doubt outlast me in that caliber. I've got God only knows how many 550 round Federal bulk packs through it, buying 'em all the time just to keep up with its apatite. I gave $200 for it. Another hundred bucks will buy a LOT more gun. :D That little revolver is easy to shoot and very accurate. Then, you can play this game farther. I gave only another 75 bucks at a gun show the other day ($275) for a scoped Ruger Mk II that's more accurate yet. LOL See, that's why that Phoenix Arms POS collects dust. :D

bestseller92
June 8, 2008, 07:18 PM
Are the CZ52s still less than one bill?

Hawk
June 8, 2008, 07:33 PM
Are the CZ52s still less than one bill?
Rarely, locally. But it happens.

Probably not for long, though.

Sriracha
June 8, 2008, 10:27 PM
Ohhhhhh, but for only $50 more.... ;)

MachIVshooter
June 9, 2008, 02:59 AM
Phoenix arms is in the "ring of fire" chain that includes jennings and bryco. which i have seen many fly apart in people's hands, one on the next round after i quit firing it also made from zinc.

You do realize you're quoting the anti's with the "ring of fire" reference, right?

Secondly, have you ever shot an HP-22? While they may not last tens of thousands of rounds, they shoot pretty darn decent-especially with the 5" barrel. I bought one because I was bored and had $100 one afternoon. The HP would actually be a remarkable little gun if it were made entirely from steel. I would pay good money for such an improved version.

thebear101
June 9, 2008, 03:17 AM
50 cal. black powder percusion pistol (kit gun), from Andy

tinygnat219
June 9, 2008, 09:50 AM
A used Single Shot Shotgun can often be had for under 100 bucks. I have one I picked up for 50 at a local show. Toss on one of those 8 dollar side saddle cartridge holders, and you are looking at roughly 40 bucks for ammo.

Get some slugs, and some buckshot rounds, alternate them in the side saddle cartridge holder, and you will be surprised at how FAST you can become with it.

There's a great video here: http://www.gunsmagazine.com/webblastTRDS.html

Jaws48
June 9, 2008, 08:31 PM
A NIB S&W 38 Spec, Model 36-1 for $78....one minor detail, it was purchased in 1975. :)

scalper
June 9, 2008, 11:08 PM
This is a great thread!

My first vote goes for a $100 used FEG 9x18 (Hungarian Makarov). One of my favorite guns irrespective of price.

My second vote goes for the $79 Nagant revolvers. Don't need a warranty, they don't break. A little difficult to load. Also great if you get the right ammo.

My third vote goes for a 9mm Hi Point pistol. Clunky but reliable and always go bang. Plus they come with a great warranty.

woad_yurt
June 9, 2008, 11:12 PM
If you look on Gunbroker, for $100 or less, you'll find numerous old H&Rs, Iver Johnsons, etc, in .22LR, .32S&W or .38S&W. There are tons of 'em for sale. They work, too.

Phil DeGraves
June 10, 2008, 12:36 PM
My best "under 100" is a S&W DA pocket model .38 s&w. $40. I offered him $50 but I couldn't negotiate him any higher. A friend of mine just bought a Winchester 94 32-40 caliber for $50 at a yard sale.

But in the spirit of the thread, probably the best CHEAPEST guns around are the Chinese Toks TT35 (9mm or 7.62x25), CZ 52s or Makarovs. These are all pretty near the $100 mark for rough ones when you can find them. All of them are better guns than the HI-Points.

happybrew
June 11, 2008, 01:44 AM
Nagant revolver: $80
1 box Federal .32 mag self defense hollow points: $14

total cost: $94

I dug one out after shooting, and it had fully expanded in the dirt behind my target (coffee can). Good stuff. Accuracy leaves a bit to be desired, though.

makarovnik
June 12, 2008, 03:13 AM
The PA-63 is OK. The recoil on mine was BRUTAL. I put a stronger recoil spring in and added rubber grips and it helped. I sold it because I could not get it to feed consistently even with FMJ.

It was nice looking but it just didn't work well for me. I still have my Hi-Point because it has been ultra-reliable. The only real bummer about the Hi-Point is I won't carry it with one in the chamber.

pilatuspilot
June 12, 2008, 08:19 PM
Wow, it wasn't *that* long ago that you could order Chinese Makarovs for $85 or ten of them for $75 each. I might be able to scrounge up a Centerfire Systems flyer from about 1995 or '96 that had the $75 Chinese Makarovs and SKSs and 7.62x39 for $99 per case.

To answer your question, I would take my $100 to the guy who's shop is located in a van in the alley behind the bowling alley. :p

Rob

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
June 12, 2008, 09:13 PM
You'd have to go used.

Probably run with a Russian Nagant revolver. You can find them for $80 or so at gun shows. Plus $10 to get in, and $10 for some ammo. Then back to your ramen noodles. :)

zoom6zoom
June 12, 2008, 11:51 PM
But you have permission to spend $800, which means that, like Congress, you must spend that amount, or the remaining money dissapears into limbo
In this scenario, I'd do just what your congressman does. Pay the guy the $800 and get a $100 kickback.

icebones
June 13, 2008, 06:27 AM
CZ-52 at gunshows...

also, the last time i checked ammo from CheaperThanDirt was pretty, well Cheap.:D

shure you could always hit a pawn shop for .22 derringers.

personaly, if i could only spend 100 bucks on a gun, it would be a .22 rifle, because it actually has some use as a hunting rifle.

tinygnat219
June 13, 2008, 08:00 AM
Woad_yurt,

Shudder...
If you look on Gunbroker, for $100 or less, you'll find numerous old H&Rs, Iver Johnsons, etc, in .22LR, .32S&W or .38S&W. There are tons of 'em for sale. They work, too.

Considering the condition I have found most of these to be in, I wouldn't even use them for a gun buyback. It seems you have had a different experience.
Have you found any in shootable condition? If so, In your opinion, what's the rate of shootable vice non-shootable? Is it pretty much a crapshoot?

Still, we are talking about some pretty tight restrictions in this post.

fletcher
June 13, 2008, 08:05 AM
It's a little higher, but sometimes you can find the Polish PA-63 "Makarov" for $110, too bad that's out of the question for you :p. Heard good things about them and 9x18 is cheap. Between that and the Nagant revolver, there really aren't any guns you could consistently find for under $100 (unless you looked at pawn shops or the used market).

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/155/387495719_4aba77bdca.jpg?v=0

TimboKhan
June 13, 2008, 03:28 PM
Re-reading the stipulations of this thread, I think the only choice is the Nagant, especially because he said the PA-63 was out.

No zinc/pot metal disqualifies some suggestions
Non-handgun suggestions are disqualified
Saving for a more expensive firearm is out.

We can't rightly say "buy used", because who knows what we could find at that price? I mean, I know we could find something, but I don't think we could reliably say that "Pistol X" could be found at $100 repeatedly on the used market. The used market just fluctuates too much for that.

Taking all that into consideration along with the PA-63 ban, as far as I can tell, we are left with only the Nagant.

RyanM
June 13, 2008, 04:31 PM
Well, the PA-63 ban probably applies to the Nagant as well, in my case. Long trigger. I can't even properly use a K-frame. Have to stick with snubbies and SA revolvers.

Still, this thread's probably a good resource for those of us who can't afford to drop mid-to-high 3 figures on a gun. I mean, sure, a lot of people could afford (though perhaps just barely) a $200 to $300 gun. But when you're just barely getting by, every penny is precious, and the less spent on something, the better. If there are models that are consistently available for under one bill, there're probably plenty of people who could benefit from that knowledge.

Anyway, given a choice between a FEG AP (the .32 version of the PA-63) and a Nagant, I'd go with the FEG AP. Only have to cock the hammer once, rather than for every round. And they're effectively the same power, with commonly available ammo.

Also, I've heard that PAs can be kept cocked and locked by putting the safety on, then recocking the hammer. Is that true?

Oh, and I ended up spending the $100 on mags and ammo for my new AES-10B. Isn't that what always happens on these threads? I say not to suggest mags or ammo, and for once no one does. Then I go out and buy mags and ammo. :p

TimboKhan
June 14, 2008, 04:26 AM
It's absolutely amazing the world of options that opens up at the $300 and under price point. Just off the top of my head, I can think of at least 5 guns that would serve the owner a lifetime, all of which can reliably be found used (and sometimes even new) for $300 and under. For that matter, even $200 can buy you a reliable piece, particularly if your willing to put some time into the used market.

19-3Ben
June 14, 2008, 10:54 AM
Oh, and I ended up spending the $100 on mags and ammo for my new AES-10B. Isn't that what always happens on these threads? I say not to suggest mags or ammo, and for once no one does. Then I go out and buy mags and ammo.

Bastard. You must return them at once and listen to our advice. We are strangers on the internet. We know what you need!!!!

doc2rn
June 14, 2008, 01:01 PM
Too bad it has to be a handgun, I would just add another Marlin M60.

TimboKhan
June 14, 2008, 05:15 PM
Bastard. You must return them at once and listen to our advice. We are strangers on the internet. We know what you need!!!!

Hahaha!

RyanM
June 14, 2008, 06:25 PM
I do sort of wish I had bought an FEG AP, though. Center Fire is all out of them, now.

Confederate
June 14, 2008, 07:45 PM
How about a Jennings J-22. I've been surprised to see like new J-22s going for well over $100, but I suspect used you could get one for $80+. They seem to last for a very long time if they're cared for, but the problem is, too many people treat them like cheap guns and leave them lying in tackle boxes or tool lockers. I've seen many scratched up and abused J-22s and Ravens, but many of them work just fine. My Jennings is more reliable, alas, than my Beretta 21A (though I've polished the ramp and switched to CCI Mini-Mags—I just have to test it).

Also, I don't know what used Davis .32s are going for nowadays, but I reckon they, too, might be had for under a hundred. I'd plunk down a hundred just for the Meriden (pictured above).

Mastiff
June 15, 2008, 12:05 AM
I'd go with one of the Chinese (Norinco) Toks. I have a Model 213 (9x19 Luger) version that I bought new for $89.00 many years ago. I have seen them for $100 at gun shows. I also have freakishly small hands, my 98 pound 13 year old nephew has bigger hands than I do. I can easily reach the trigger on the Tok.
Another option if you wait a while is the Sarco Star Modelo Super A. They were selling some with minor problems for $100. One of my friends bought 2, and one worked right out of the gate. The other needed a firing pin.
Sarco ran afoul of the New Jersey authorities, and had their license to sell firearms out of state lifted. Sarco is appealing that. If they get it back, I will immediately order 2 myself.

If you enjoyed reading about "Best handgun under $100" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!