Any other inexpensive gun collectors out there?

PDA

wunderkind
August 22, 2003, 11:54 AM
Can't explain it, but I was bitten by the M&P bug about a year ago. I've since acquired more than a few 4" heavy-barrel revolvers in blue and stainless. My favorites are the former cop/guard guns-the holster wear and the engraved unit # add 'character' as far as I'm concerned.

I'm not a rich man, but these guns pop up in shops for less than 200.00 all the time, and they'll usually (gladly) take an offer of $125 to $150. I think the shops are happy just to get rid of what they perceive as Yesteryear's Model or something.

It's easy to lust after the Pythons and Singer Corp. contract 45's and early SAA's. Anyone can treasure a $5,000 gun. But are there any other nuts who are into collecting the decidedly low-budget types?

Just hoping I'm not the only one...ah, I don't really care if I am!

If you enjoyed reading about "Any other inexpensive gun collectors out there?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
coldshot03/04
August 22, 2003, 07:27 PM
Im one.:D I rarely pay over $250 for a gun, no matter if its a pistol, revolver, rifle or shotgun.
My collection of el cheapies but goodies.
Rossi 971 357 mag. $250
Taurus M44 44 Mag. alittle over $250
Heritage Rough Rider 22lr/22mag. $139
Hi-Point 40S&W $139
Russian Makarov 380acp. $159

Marlin m60 22lr semi auto.
:D :D :D

JBP
August 22, 2003, 07:37 PM
Always looking for a good deal on a plinker especially if I can get it with my C&R and save the FFL fees. Recently I've picked up 4" and 5" M&Ps along with a 6" Colt New Service. I also like 32 H&R Mags and picked up a couple of NEF R73s (2" & 4") to go along with my H&R 586. Also picked up an old H&T Trapper in 22 Rimfire (no 22LR).

C.R.Sam
August 22, 2003, 09:06 PM
Any other inexpensive gun collectors out there?
Yup.

Occaisionaly snag a nice N frame for $250 or less.

Patience and carry cash.

Sam

Old Fuff
August 22, 2003, 09:30 PM
I look for "fix'er uppers." Good quality guns that are sound but need a little "restoration." Sometimes a small part is busted, or a revolver is out of time because of a sprung crane (or yoke, depending on what maker is involved), and maybe the finish is a bit distressed. I've even picked up good stuff that simply needed the gunk and varnish cleaned out of it. Also obsolete or unpopular cartridges are my cup of tea. Nothing like an odd round to bring the price down on whatever uses it. Now days people are hesitent to buy anything that's used, but not perfect. Not me! Bring on the junkers. "Old" may be inexpensive, but it's not necessarily cheap.

schapman43
August 23, 2003, 10:49 AM
I'm collecting Rugers. All of the GP100's are under $400, the SP101's under $349, the Vaquero's under $400, the Single Six's under $350, etc etc etc.... In my opinion Ruger makes some of the finest revolvers on the market. Now those are great deals considering I used to be a big auto fan and most of those start around $600.

FPrice
August 23, 2003, 11:17 AM
I am always on the lookout for a used quality gun at a low price. Even if I don't need it, makes for trading material OR a future sale when I may need some money. You just have to be careful not to pay more than something is worth.

Jason Demond
August 23, 2003, 05:43 PM
I love K frame Smith's. The last one I picked up was a LNIB 4" Detroit Police model 64-5. Evidently there are a few of them out there, that were never issued.

Tamara
August 23, 2003, 07:38 PM
S&W revolvers are very fun to collect for the main reason that you can pick up quite a few of them in the $200-$400 range.

Of my collection, I've paid more than $450 for a few 3" N-frames and Performance Center guns, but the vast majority were tagged at very reasonable prices.

4" round-butt State Department Model 19, nickel .38 Bodyguard Airweight, 2" Model 34 no dash, 4" Model 31, 4" Model 581: I don't think a one of the above was tagged over three bills...

combat effective
August 24, 2003, 07:09 PM
Count me in. I love police trade in guns. I recently bought a very nice trade in 870 for $179. I also have a trade in S&W 64 for the same prrice, and a S&W M10 skinny barrel that I got for $147.

I love old revolvers. They just have so much character.

Albert Shear
August 24, 2003, 07:36 PM
Not for sale but it is a 1934 M&P in unfired condition. My favorite.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid72/p992d9715d9e29836e989fd52a612abb5/fb82ef61.jpg

hansolo
August 27, 2003, 12:29 AM
Hey, Albert

That beauty looks brand new!

I bought a 1956 MP 4" pencil Bbl. that belonged to an L.A. Cop: just a touch of holster wear....otherwise primo. As my collection grows, I shoot it less, but it sits under my bed, ready and willing!

Albert Shear
August 27, 2003, 07:26 AM
Yup, it is. Never fired or holstered. I have to learn how to take a better digital picture though. It doesn't do it justice. Congrats on yours. Hopefully it is the start of something special.

Johnny Guest
August 27, 2003, 02:32 PM
I picked up a 10-4 HB couple of years back, just because it was in very decent condition, without being TOO nice to shoot. It had been carried, but not much, and then the guard force for a defense contractor in Dallas area decided to transition to auto pistols. It came with a set of bad-ugly Pachmayr finger groove stocks. I fired it a few times and them put it up.

A friend borrowed it for use in Simunitions training a while back and kept it for about a year. He returned it about the time someone gave me a pair of proper wood stocks, which I installed with a Pachmayr Shur-Grip adaptor. NOW it looks and feels right. Took it out the other day and shot it a fair amount. I think it's about time for me to cycle back around to some serious DA revolver practice . . . .

Best,
Johnny

Britt L
August 27, 2003, 03:12 PM
Sure do.

Smith M-66 $225
Smith M-37 $155
Ruger Black hawk 357 $200
Dan wesson $200
Missed a Ruger Single Six brand new SS for $200:banghead:

I do love to hunt the pond and gun shops.

makarov
August 28, 2003, 12:02 AM
Used revolvers are a great deal.

27-2 (with box) $250
Dan Wesson 15-1 (with 3 barrels) $199
17-4 - $280 (my latest)

I also like Eastern Bloc guns:

FEG PJK-9HP (Hi-Power Clone) $200 - has nicer bluing than most Brownings.
CZ-85 Combat - (not really that cheap, but great guns) $450
Russian Makarov - $125
E. German Mak - stole it for $149!
Browning Medalist - $350 (was missing forend) great shooter - not an Eastern Bloc gun, but a good deal anyway.

Keep your eyes open for deals and know what things are worth. Carry cash or a credit card - if it is a GREAT deal, I will put it on lay-away and worry about paying for it later....

Next gun will probably be the IZH-35m target pistol. To go along with my new Biathlon Basic .22 rifle.

Too many guns, not enough money...

Johnny Guest
September 11, 2003, 11:19 AM
- - On my M10 HB mentioned above.

On 10 SEP I did my CHL Instructor update with Texas DPS. Instrs must demonstrate proficiency with both revolvers and autopistols, with factory ammo. I took along my M10 HB. Except for carry ammo, I practically ALWAYS shoot handloads, and had to go out and buy a couple of boxes of UMC yeller-box, 130 FMJ. A non-fancy load and a non-fancy handgun - - Both performed exactly as they should. I shot a "possible" score - - Satisfying but not a really prideful thing . . . The 50 round course is pretty easy. My Glock 19 and Win White Box 115 did equally well.

I prefer my Commander with Speer GDHP for daily carry, and a .45 Colt Mountain gun for a revolver - - But it's cheaper to buy factory ammo for the M10 and G19. And, hobbyist preferences aside, I'm sure I could "make do" from now on with either of these mid-bores and suitable HP ammo.

Don't ever sell the basic handguns short. Not glamorous, but VERY practical.;)

Best,
Johnny

Thirties
September 11, 2003, 02:14 PM
CZ-70 .32acp @ $79 plus ship and FFL
CZ-83 .380acp @ $179 plus ship and FFL
Bulgarian Makarov, a pair, @ $99 each plus ship and FFL
7.62 Russian Nagant (1940) @ $130 in person at gunshow last weekend

I love all my surplus guns.

berettaman
September 11, 2003, 04:15 PM
I'm the King of Cheapsylvania.I really think the C&R was invented by and for us more frugelistic firearm fanatics!(see that flows well off the tongue)

El Cheapo Gun List

CZ 50 $99.00 with a holster.
Cz 52 $79.00 with a holster and assorted goodies.
1895 Nagant 7.62x38 $105 with holster and ???.goodies.
E.G. Makarov (64) $140.
Star Model B $125.
Sistema Colt $235.(exceeded my $200 creedo but well worth it).
Beretta M35 UT4 Stamped $179.
Beretta M34's (6 from various years)never paid more than $175 for any 1.
Beretta Brigadier EC 951 (Egyptian Contract made by Beretta ) $145.
Manurin Walther $200 with box and papers.
Colt Official Police 38spl $159.

This is just a little over a years time with the C&R.I knew it would be my ruination but I've become acustomed to hot dogs and Mac and Cheeze."Always Save" Brand's should get some kind of kick back from the milsurp industry.

:evil:

If you enjoyed reading about "Any other inexpensive gun collectors out there?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!