Flat Top AR with A2 Front Sight?

PDA

Jackal
June 10, 2008, 03:41 PM
Ok, so I am looking to get a lightweight upper for my stripped Stag lower. I have pretty much narrowed my search down to DelTon's 16" Pre-Ban Flat Top with light weight barrel. My question is, how annoying is the A2 front sight on a flat top upper? I would be using a Bushnell Holosight and I am unsure if it would co-witness or if it would mount too low? I really dont want to have a view of only the front tower through my sight, lol. I may mount up my Pentax 2-5x scope for some coyote hunting too and I dont really want to have the front sight interfere wih that. Cash is kinda tight, so I would rather not spend the extra $40 for a rail gas block and I do kinda like the ability to use a flip up rear sight with the front A2.

If you enjoyed reading about "Flat Top AR with A2 Front Sight?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
cracked butt
June 10, 2008, 03:44 PM
The only issue is that the standard A2 FSB is a smidge too short, you can buy an extra tall front sight for around $15 to make up the difference- I've seen DPMS list these sights for sale...

mp510
June 10, 2008, 05:50 PM
The only issue is that the standard A2 FSB is a smidge too short, you can buy an extra tall front sight for around $15 to make up the difference- I've seen DPMS list these sights for sale...Every rifle is different- mine works, but I had to crank up my front sight- a lot.

MisterPX
June 10, 2008, 05:56 PM
May I suggest a riser for the holosight. Simple rail that bolts on the upper rec., adds about 1/4" of height. Sticks the FSB ears in the lower 1/3 of the holosight window. Personally, I don't really notice the FSB with my EOTech, then again, run with both eyes open. If you tend to concentrate on the optic, the riser does make a big difference. As for the scope, once you hit about 4x, the fsb blurs into a shadow, higher than that, and it's invisible.

Kingcreek
June 10, 2008, 06:37 PM
I have a Fixed front sight with an Eotech on a Dominator II mount for a co-witness and I never even notice the FSB in the sight picture. Nothing to flip up or flip down- always there and rock solid.

If you enjoyed reading about "Flat Top AR with A2 Front Sight?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!