model 1897 winchester Vs mossburg 500

PDA

gtmerkley
June 10, 2008, 10:52 PM
at a locial gun shop there was a model 1897 winchester for $200 with 18 1/2 inch barrel i was told it was the type used in WWI and WWII, and was just woundering how this stackes up agenst the modern day mossburg 500 riot whitch was $226+tax new, whitch is better

If you enjoyed reading about "model 1897 winchester Vs mossburg 500" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Gator
June 10, 2008, 10:58 PM
Wow, where is this store that's giving away 97s? :)

Which one is better depends on what you want it for. The 97 is a great old (emphasis on old) shotgun, its collectible, and might not stand up to hard use, depending on how much use it has seen already. Also, parts will be harder to find. If you just want a basic knock about gun the Mossberg might be better. But if you want something classy go for the Winchester. You will always be able to get your money out of the 97 too (if its in reasonable shape).

Personally, I wouldn't have left the shop without the 97!

ma96782
June 10, 2008, 10:59 PM
No clones allowed.

"Condition." A lot of them have been well used.

Hey, If you don't.......some Cowboy Shooter will pick it up. You ever watch "The Wild Bunch?" Or, "The Professionals." Wanna try some real fun......slam fire it.

Aloha, Mark

mnrivrat
June 10, 2008, 11:04 PM
Interesting comparison but like all things the devil is in the details.

A $200 Winchester 1897 is something that a great many here would grab hold of in a hurry. Even with a shortened barrel. If the barrel was an original riot or trench gun barrel, then a real need to grab it quickly is present. (military guns had US and a flaming bomb marked on them) Civilian riot models likely also exist .

Now if the gun is a copy of the 1897 then that changes things. A copy was made in China by I think Norinco ? Not sure of their present value .

As far as a using shotgun I would take the Mossberg over the model 97, but again that is subjective. I don't care for the exposed hammer and the rearward bolt movement has a tendancy to bite your hand if your not careful.

Ash
June 10, 2008, 11:18 PM
I would say the Mossberg is a more useable shotgun by modern standards, but the original 97 is a work of art. The Mossberg won't bite like the Winchester, but for the price, if it is a real Winny, I doubt anyone would pass that by just to own.

But I would take a Mossberg for ducks over a Norinco.

Ash

RP88
June 11, 2008, 12:38 AM
if its a real-deal Win, then get both. Thats what credit cards are for. Mount the Win on the mantle, and keep the Moss in the corner for HD

gtmerkley
June 11, 2008, 10:26 AM
Went to the gun shop and snatched up the 97winchester $200 out the door I was told it was considered an antique and no paperwork was required. the slide was marked "model 1897 Winchester trade mark reg. in U.S pat. off." and the barrle was marked "manufactured by the winchester repeating arms co. new heaven connecticut. USA 12GA." my sources tall me it was made in 1918 "97winchester.com" and it appers to have origonal barrel and was not cut down there was no bayonet mount and no flameing cherry althow ther is a a masking on top of the receiver a PW circled well used but in good shape it has sling swivels and holds seven shots 6+1 on the side there is a botten that ejects all the shells at one time it came with a heat sheald but i dont think it was for the winchester mossburg mabe
it has a cylender bore so i may try it on skeet the s.#. are 652***
and appers to be fully functional and after I get off work I'LL have to take it out to the range (My back pourch) after half a bottle of hoppes ang a little elbow grease
it is not a quick take down model
it has a slame fire feature like my ithaca 37
I hope it can take modern powder OK just it case I'll use relodes the first few times

mnrivrat
June 11, 2008, 10:35 AM
Hummmm - We need some pictures !

Sounds like a heck of a buy - waiting to see the photo's

Won't get into the "antigue" part right now but is the heatshield modern ?

gtmerkley
June 11, 2008, 10:44 AM
the heat sheald appears to be new it dose not fit and I think its off a mossborg

the heat sheald is marked "North Haven CT 06473"

Ash
June 11, 2008, 01:01 PM
Well, you definitely made the wiser choice. Congrats on your prize.

Ash

owlhoot
June 11, 2008, 03:04 PM
You got a helluva deal. Worn out 97's are bringing $400. these days in the cowboy circles.

I love the 97. I have three of them. And while I have an Ithica 37 military and a Rem 870, I still prefer the 97.

Please check your chamber depth. It's only a $15 or $20 job to have the chamber lengthened if needed. I'm fairly sure your gun will have the short chambers common to most old shotguns. Using modern plastic, star crimped ammunition can increase pressure rather dramatically.

gtmerkley
June 11, 2008, 04:04 PM
there is no marking as to the chamber depth but a 2 3/4 inch shells fit in just fine thanks for your concern though owlhoot I will check before I shoot just in case

Gator
June 11, 2008, 05:34 PM
Wow! Congrats on a great find. The store obviously didn't know what they had (or how to sell it, apparently). :D

If you enjoyed reading about "model 1897 winchester Vs mossburg 500" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!