USSC Question / Heller-Related

PDA

Bubbles
June 12, 2008, 09:32 AM
ScotusBlog has a summary report (http://www.scotusblog.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/statpack6-9.pdf) of this year's USSC cases so far. On page 8 is a chart where the cases are organized by month. The chart also has column headings labeled "Author" and "Count".

I understand "Author", but what does "Count" mean? For the Heller case, the "Count" is listed as "AS" (Justice Antonin Scalia). Just wondering if that's good or bad for us...

If you enjoyed reading about "USSC Question / Heller-Related" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
XDKingslayer
June 12, 2008, 09:56 AM
Unless you know what count means drawing any type of conclussion is pointless.

cloudedice
June 12, 2008, 12:03 PM
I can only imagine it's the person in charge of recording the votes for or against the plaintiff. Unfortunately I get all my courtroom knowledge from TV, so don't listen to anything I say.

:neener:

Igloodude
June 12, 2008, 12:19 PM
I'd imagine you could go through the other (decided) cases and see if the counting justice is always in the majority opinion or something like that. Or, wait and see what folks here that have a clue about it (which excludes me) know. But personally, seeing Scalia's name in any way associated with this case (excepting "Dissenting") can't be a bad thing, IMHO.

Kharn
June 12, 2008, 02:05 PM
Another one to look at is which Justice has written the least opinions. On that PDF, Kennedy is listed as writing 3, he wrote one that was released today, bringing him to 4, which still puts him behind the curve as to the rest of the Justices.

It has also been theorized that Roberts would have Kennedy write it should the decision be 5:4 (so that Kennedy wouldnt flip over to the other side if he did not like the language of the opinion).

ETA: Its also funny to note that Heller has a (Guns) after it in the PDF file, none of the other cases have a one-word summary attached.

Kharn

If you enjoyed reading about "USSC Question / Heller-Related" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!