at the risk of sounding fussy

PDA

bdhawk
June 12, 2008, 01:46 PM
yesterday, i was going to post a pic of my reloading bench. it was in response to a thread from someone wanting to see pics of reloading benches. well the site would not let me do it! it seems i had previously posted the pic over four years ago. the horror, folks seeing a pick that has already been posted. why would they go to all the trouble of setting it up that way? why would it be so bad. i betcha there are folks that are new that haven't seen it. heck, i bet one or two of the older members may not of seen it either.

don't get me wrong. my bench or the pic is not all that great. it kinda POed me that it would not let me contribute. i just don't get it.

If you enjoyed reading about "at the risk of sounding fussy" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Larry Ashcraft
June 12, 2008, 01:53 PM
If the pic is in your "attachments" folder, you can't post it again. But you can link to it.

In your user CP, there is an attachments folder, click on that and find the attachment you want to link to. Open the attachment, copy the URL, and you can post it by clicking on the little yellow postcard looking icon.

You might want to test it in the testing forum.

Moving this to Tech Support.

Mal H
June 12, 2008, 05:39 PM
It does sound a little on the fussy side, bdhawk. ;)

You're mistaking an effort to minimize disk space usage by not storing identical images with a plot to keep you from displaying your bench! We have far more subtle ways of doing that than giving an error message. :)

As Larry said, simply link to the attachment as he instructed. You can do that as many times as you like.

brighamr
June 13, 2008, 07:52 PM
bdhawk - I'm not an administrator or Moderator, but thought I'd give you a tip.

using an online picture hosting provider (something like photobucket) you can upload all the pics you want. Then when you want to share those pics in a forum (any forum) you just copy the preformatted image code into the thread.

this allows you to share as many pics as you want, as often as you want; in addition it saves the forum's bandwidth/storage and allows people to view your pics in the thread without clicking/downloading an attachment.

just thought i'd try to help!

bdhawk
June 13, 2008, 08:15 PM
thanks for all the suggestions, but i had a better idea. i went to CP and deleted all the pics in my section. the horror, i had like ten pics there! how could i have been so crass and insensitive for the five or so years i have been on the forum. if the forum is going to be so petty, it's not for me. i do not want to put the forum out by using up so much disk space! i'm outta here.

JShirley
June 13, 2008, 08:25 PM
Ah, shucks. Don't go away mad.

Larry Ashcraft
June 13, 2008, 08:31 PM
bdhawk, I'm not sure what the problem is. YOU control your attachments. The forum software is set up to not allow the same attachment to take up memory in more than one place.

Memory saving feature if you will. The software is merely telling you "That picture is already attached, no need to attach it again".

It's not something staff has control over. If you need it explained further, maybe Derek can help.

JShirley
June 13, 2008, 09:20 PM
Shucks. He understands, Larry. In fact, he understands even more than he asked, since another poster helpfully gave him a suggestion that is quicker and usually more useful than what he asked. At least you didn't begin your original answer with, "At the risk of seeming pedantic..."

THR- we put the Care into the customer! Or something like that. :D

The truth is, folks, I worked customer care for years. Started out with about a month of training, sitting in the classroom for several weeks, and then observing qualified care reps on the phones, and then in a "training queue" with someone else observing most of the time, and then finally on my own as a representative. In about a year, I was up to doing support, taking escalated calls that care reps hadn't been able to handle, coaching care reps on how to handle calls and evaluating calls. I handled several executive escalations that had somehow reached Nextel's CEO.

What I learned from my time doing this, is the solution will never be good enough if the person doesn't accept it. IF somebody's determined to be angry, nothing any of us can do will change that. We can take reasonable steps to defuse, deescalate, calm, and even placate, but eventually people even get angrier because you're trying to be nice.

So you stay polite, of course.

But you stop being overly nice, because, gosh, you don't want to make those poor folk any madder now, do ya? 'Course not. :D

John

prism
June 15, 2008, 03:13 PM
duplicate pics in the forum datab............. nevermind.

when the size of the forum database gets............ nevermind.

there are free and easy alternatives to ................... nevermind.

you guys are just plain MEAN ! :what:

;) :cool:

JShirley
June 15, 2008, 04:18 PM
And you haven't even tried my chili yet.

Heck, I make a truly mean spaghetti. I like to add poblano, bell, jalapeno, habanero, and thai peppers to it along with a bunch of other stuff.

It's been claimed to cause some..."distress" to folks whose systems aren't used to the hot stuff, but the taste is so good they can't seem to help eating it. :p

Now, if I could think up some spicy ice cream to serve after one of my brimstone dinners, when folks think they're going to get to cool down, that would be mean. :D

John

Mal H
June 15, 2008, 05:04 PM
If you have an ice cream maker, make up a batch of habañero ice cream. I tried some at a Tex-Mex restaurant in Dallas one time. Just had to try it - never again! It was essentially vanilla ice cream with the finely ground peppers in it.

Chuck Dye
June 15, 2008, 06:04 PM
Mr. Shirley,

A favorite party dip usually results in people standing around saying "Dang! that's HOT!" as they grab another chip and shovel in another mouthful:

HONGOS EN CHIPOTLES

1 pound bite sized mushrooms. Small buttons or criminis are good. Larger 'shrooms can be quartered or coarsely cubed. Portobellos are excellent!

1 large onion, sliced.

1/4 cup to 1/2 cup chopped parsley.

1 teaspoon each thyme and oregano.

1 small can chipotles adobados, chopped.

1 dry chipotle, chopped.

1 small can tomato sauce.

Salt to taste.

Sauté the onion and mushrooms 'til barely tender in butter and/or olive oil. Stir in all other ingredients, simmer 'til tender.

Time is saved and little lost if the tomato sauce, chilies, thyme, and oregano are blended in a blender.

All quantities are to taste! More 'shrooms, onions, and tomato sauce (or added chopped tomatoes) make a milder dip. More chipotles, canned or dry, hotter.

Made with extra tomatoes (the tomato's acid cools the fire), this is one the best of mushroom omelet fillings!

Bet you can't eat just one.

JShirley
June 15, 2008, 06:05 PM
Sounds delicious. I might also be able to make a good habanero/ginger hybrid. Awesome! :)

Larry Ashcraft
June 15, 2008, 06:27 PM
habañero ice cream
Reminds me of something one of my mentors once said about Irish Coffee:
"A waste of good whiskey, and a waste of good coffee."
I like ice cream and I like hot peppers, but not at the same time. On the other hand, Jalapeno jelly is pretty good stuff. ;)

JShirley
June 15, 2008, 07:39 PM
Mr. Dye,

Your courtesy is appreciated, but "just John" is great for me. I like mushrooms, too- sounds delicious.

John

grampster
June 15, 2008, 08:40 PM
I wish my dad was still around, Larry. He used to sit around and fish habaneros out of the jar and eat them like jelly beans...and sipped on some brandy at the same time. Happy Father's Day, Tuddy.

TimboKhan
June 15, 2008, 09:42 PM
That dip does sound good, although I personally don't find chipotle particularly hot. Flavorful, yes. Hot? No. Whatever, the dip sounds good enough that I wrote it down!

JShirley
June 16, 2008, 01:26 AM
I've found that fresher smoked chipotle was smoky and flavorful, but as it aged and dried, the heat was concentrated.

auschip
June 16, 2008, 10:30 AM
Now, if I could think up some spicy ice cream to serve after one of my brimstone dinners, when folks think they're going to get to cool down, that would be mean.

You could always do Cinnamon icecream with chocolate sauce. The key, is to make your own chocolate sauce, and add cayenne and extra cinnamon.

For sweet & hot, I make pineapple salsa. The fresh pineapple has natural sweetness, and then different peppers for heat (I prefer habaneros, serranos, & jalapenos).

Chuck Dye
June 16, 2008, 11:05 AM
JShirley,

John ( I am Chuck, please,)

I can't help with the dessert zinger but may help with the openers. My parents used to pack their own jalapeños en escabeche. The end result was more like gardiniera it had so many veggies. After a few weeks on the shelf, the hottest things in the mix were the olives, not the peppers. Scattered among regular olives like mines, they do not win friends but certainly influence people. Habaneros will only improve the effect. :)

JShirley
June 16, 2008, 11:08 AM
Excellent ideas. Thanks, Chuck and auschip. I'd forgotten how well chocolate can go with heat.

I'm also remembering how well habanero, with its delicate flavor, integrates into fruit. I found some jam called Blackberry Fire while I was at Fort Lewis. Incredible. :)

TimboKhan
June 16, 2008, 04:18 PM
I like jalapeno jelly, to the extent that I tried to make some. Let me just say that I am not a great jelly-maker :barf:. Buying it seems to work just fine for me now.

rbernie
June 16, 2008, 10:58 PM
I like cheese.

JShirley
June 16, 2008, 11:28 PM
Me, too, but it's better to add flavor, not as the main ingredient. Now- peppers and cheese- pretty close to heaven in just about anything, with a cold beer.

All right, guys, I've been off-topic enough. I'm cutting myself off.

If you enjoyed reading about "at the risk of sounding fussy" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!