Virginia Walmart's Gun Sales Policy or State Law?

PDA

Cannonball888
June 14, 2008, 10:36 AM
I was recently vacationing in Virginia and was checking out the Walmart sporting goods department. There was a sign showing which states whose residents they could sell firearms to and to which they could not. Is this list from Virginia law or just Walmart's policy? And why would Florida be on a "no sales" list? I would have asked the department clerk if there had been one there.

If you enjoyed reading about "Virginia Walmart's Gun Sales Policy or State Law?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Art Eatman
June 14, 2008, 02:44 PM
Unless somebody from Virginia has asked the same question, about all we non-Ginnies could do is speculate. You might email WalMart?

Tribal
June 14, 2008, 02:49 PM
I'll be passing a Wal-Mart today so I'll stop by and see if I can make heads or tails of it. I doubt it's relevant, but which one did you visit?

JohnBT
June 14, 2008, 03:05 PM
Could the sign have been referencing long guns? It's legal to sell long guns to residents of neighboring states - or some states anyway. I've seen the sign at a local shop many times, but never really read it because I'm a resident.

John

Cannonball888
June 14, 2008, 03:11 PM
It was in Williamsburg, VA. And I'm sure it was refering to longguns since they are the only firearms Walmart sells.

brickeyee
June 14, 2008, 10:10 PM
"Could the sign have been referencing long guns? It's legal to sell long guns to residents of neighboring states - or some states anyway."

the 'long guns in adjacent states' law was changed at the federal level by FOPA.
Some states (and dealers) have failed to change their laws to mesh with the changes in federal law.
under the federal rules you can purchase a long gun in ANY state, as long as the rules of both the FFL's state AND the purchasers home state are complied with.
Handguns MUST be shipped to an FFL in the buyers state.

armedandsafe
June 14, 2008, 10:33 PM
I believe that is WalMart's policy. As stated above, BOTH state's laws must be complied with. I suspect there are states have laws which which WalMart can't or doesn't care to comply.

What I'm interested in, now that this subject has come up, is whether all those signs are the same, WalMart/state to WalMart/state. I'll have to look next time I'm in there and list the states on our sign.

Pops

NavyLCDR
June 14, 2008, 11:59 PM
It is based strictly on state laws. For instance, Texas has a law which states that Texas residents can only buy long guns in adjacent states as well as Texas. Therefore, Texas would be on the list that an Oklahoma Walmart would sell to, but Texas could not be on a list in a Virginia Walmart. The laws of both states have to agree - the purchaser's state as well as the seller's state, and as posted earlier, this only applies to long guns.

Nikdfish
June 15, 2008, 11:27 AM
Saw a similar map in a WW in NC. I picked up a .22 while there & the map/chart made it easy for the salesperson to know that it was OK for me (a WV resident) to buy in NC. It basically flags the states that have restrictions that can't readily be met in an out of state, FTF purchase.

Nick

John4me05
June 15, 2008, 11:45 AM
I believe it goes off of the residents state laws...
It could be illegal to sell rifles to say a DC resident... Other states could have a waiting period...
Here the only waiting period is while the state police do your background check over the phone to see if you can buy a gun or not

Tribal
June 16, 2008, 12:25 AM
It was late when I went and the counter was unmanned, but it sounds like plenty of people here have it figured out.

If you enjoyed reading about "Virginia Walmart's Gun Sales Policy or State Law?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!