A gun under your pillow?

PDA

Mr White
June 15, 2008, 01:34 PM
We've all heard the cliche of someone sleeping with a gun under their pillow, and I was just reading a thead where someone was talking about the ammo they keep in their 'pillow gun'.

Knowing what my bed, covers and pillow look like in the morning, I couldn't even imagine sleeping with a gun in that close proximity to me at night.

Does anyone literally sleep with a gun under their pillow?

If you enjoyed reading about "A gun under your pillow?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
El Tejon
June 15, 2008, 01:38 PM
I believe this is more of a figure of speech than an actual practice (at least I hope it is).

ieszu
June 15, 2008, 01:38 PM
I did sleep with one under my pillow, but as soon as I got married, that had to change... wife tosses and turns a bit.

So instead it sits on my nightstand... no kids yet and no one ever comes into the bedroom, so no safety worries.

The Tourist
June 15, 2008, 01:40 PM
I also believe it is an idiom. For example, people don't really sleep with "one eye open." Most blind dates I had in high school didn't really have "terrific personalities" either.

geekWithA.45
June 15, 2008, 01:46 PM
Yup, I've slept with a gun under my pillow on select occassions, usually biz hotels in rough neighborhoods.

It was lumpy, and got banished to the pillow next to me. 'Twas right where I left it upon awakening.

Shung
June 15, 2008, 01:53 PM
not really under, but somwhere beside it (no round chambered though)

revjen45
June 15, 2008, 02:17 PM
On the nightstand next to my head. Round in the chamber, 2 spare mags. 8-rd pump Shotgun within reach.

nwilliams
June 15, 2008, 02:18 PM
I wouldn't do it myself, I just never liked the idea of having a gun that close to my head. Besides with the way I sleep tossing and turning all night it would stay under the pillow long it would just end up on the floor:rolleyes:

give
June 15, 2008, 02:20 PM
never under the pillow ,toss and turn a bit,but inbetween the mattress and box spring has worked for me

ZombieHunter
June 15, 2008, 02:22 PM
To The Tourist:
I'm sure that in the strict sense of the word some of those blind dates did have terrific personalities along with terrific body masses and looks...colloquially (sp) speaking I'd be inclined to agree.

As for the gun under the pillow...With some of the zombie dreams I have, having a gun within easy reach stikes me as a terrific (used literally) idea. I mean I know during REM sleep we're supposed to shut down our muscles and basically we're paralyzed...but no dice.

Prince Yamato
June 15, 2008, 02:24 PM
I've slept with a gun under the pillow for the past year. Originally a Beretta 92, now a Glock 26. It's no big deal.

AntiqueCollector
June 15, 2008, 03:41 PM
Not under but pretty close beside it while camping (barrel pointing away from my head...).

koja48
June 15, 2008, 04:09 PM
Next to the pillow & with a round chambered . . . I sleep VERY lightly & DON'T toss and turn. Light-Sleeping Lab is even more aware of the surroundings. The 1911 has never moved . . . unintentionally . . .

ar10
June 15, 2008, 04:10 PM
There was a news story last year, CA I think, where a female LEO slept with her service gun under her pillow and it went off. Didn't kill her but she was wounded. The last I read on it the local PD was doing an internal investigation

Ala Dan
June 15, 2008, 04:26 PM
On occassion, I have slept with an old West German SIG-SAUER .45 ACP
P220 under my pillow. Once when our home was broken into, and I could
imagine the perp coming back to retrieve goods that he/she had dropped;
I stayed overnight in the then unoccupied home with the SIG at hand~!

Now, that I live in that very same home; and we have beefed up security,
my home defense weapons stay at arms length away from the bed inside
of a RSC.

psyopspec
June 15, 2008, 04:35 PM
From the North Dakota Concealed Weapons Manual:
Don't sleep with a loaded revolver within easy reach. not all dreams are of... pleasant things. A handy loaded revolver might cause you to shoot a member of the family or yourself before you are fully awake. Keep it in the same place at all times, but make it far enough from your bed to assure your awakening before you get the gun.

Personally, I just make sure that there's a step between grabbing and firing the gun - usually keeping it in a holster near where I'm resting.

justin 561
June 15, 2008, 05:01 PM
I can't sleep with a pistol or any kind of gun near my pillow. I have sleep walking,eating, driving problems, and sometimes I find my pillows in the back yard.. I DON'T need to add sleep pistoling, or shot gunning to those already very bad things. I have to have my girl friend hide my car keys at night so I don't go driving.. :uhoh:

g.willikers
June 15, 2008, 05:02 PM
Rumor has it that the best place to keep a gun at night, is not under the pillow, but with a trustworthy neighbor.
When you hear the bump in the night, and run for your gun, you'll be out of harms way when you get to it.
Unless, of course, the danger is at your neighbors.

Marlin 45 carbine
June 15, 2008, 05:07 PM
I have a spare holster for my Makarov velcroed to bedpost near nite-lite. and SXS 12ga in near corner. and light-sleeping (and very noisy - his bark definitely worse than bite) wire haired terrier on rug by door.

Jamie C.
June 15, 2008, 05:29 PM
Since I generally spend the whole night fighting with my pillow, I don't see any wisdom in arming the S.O.B. :uhoh:
( I always seem to wake up feeling like I lost the fight, as it is. )

Guns stay on the nightstand... out of the pillow's reach. ;)

J.C.

DFW1911
June 15, 2008, 05:34 PM
In the house, no: on the nightstand.

When I'm camping it's pretty darn close to me. It's not under a pillow since my pillow is normally a rolled-up fleece jacket, but I can - and have - gotten to it very quickly.

Nate C.
June 15, 2008, 05:57 PM
Sleep-"driving"?!?!?

Please elaborate.

moooose102
June 15, 2008, 06:07 PM
EVERY NIGHT. taurus 45 or 40 s&w w/ laser sight, sometimes, BOTH! i have on occasion, slept with my kel-tec under my pillow. but i must admit that sleeping with that gun under my head is not all that comforting. mostly because it has no safety. the others at least have safeties. always have a round chambered, ready to rock. besides, if i am @ home, i would rather have the stopping power of a 45 than my little .380. when i am traveling, sometimes you just have to take what you have. i dont leave any of my guns in motel rooms, so if i cant carry it on my person, it stays home in the safe, or my wifes hands!

.45&TKD
June 15, 2008, 06:11 PM
never under the pillow ,toss and turn a bit,but inbetween the mattress and box spring has worked for me

In between mattress and box spring is the best place for it.

Easy access for you. Difficult for someone to get to it without waking you up.

jakemccoy
June 15, 2008, 06:12 PM
I wouldn't do it because I tend to move a lot in my sleep. Sometimes, I even sleep walk.

However, my decision to sleep with a pistol under the pillow is situational dependent. For example, if I were stationed in an active part of Iraq, I'd probably sleep with my gun in my hand, holstered of course.

Grandpa Shooter
June 15, 2008, 06:19 PM
I have slept on many occasions with a pistol in my hand while sleeping. I don't recommend it, but then I don't recommend going the places I have gone or done the things I've done either.

Under the pillow might be a little escessive in a locked house in a decent neighborhood.

CSA 357
June 15, 2008, 06:23 PM
Sleep With A Pistol? Heck No I Sleep With Mini 14!:d

Mr White
June 15, 2008, 06:26 PM
Sleep-"driving"?!?!?

Please elaborate.
Apparently it happens. My buddy once told me that he woke up one night in his underwear, in his car, on the other side of his town. He's never been a bullshi++er and his wife told me the story on a different occasion.

abrink
June 15, 2008, 06:29 PM
Rumor has it that the best place to keep a gun at night, is not under the pillow, but with a trustworthy neighbor.
When you hear the bump in the night, and run for your gun, you'll be out of harms way when you get to it.

Ah what? Explain that for me please.

give
June 15, 2008, 06:34 PM
i learned the box spring trick from my father,another place he kept a gun was in his shoulder holster which was hanging in the bedroon closet on a hanger,unless you knew it was there you would never see it

MT GUNNY
June 15, 2008, 08:34 PM
My 1911 has been under my pillow every night for the past 5 years.
Cocked and Locked 8+1,In a Leather holster that I also use for CC and OC.

The Lone Haranguer
June 15, 2008, 08:41 PM
No, not literally. :D I too am a "tosser/turner." I agree it is a figure of speech for most people. But, it is never very far away. When camping, I have in the past put a handgun (once, even a shotgun) between my sleeping bag and pad.

h-word
June 15, 2008, 09:02 PM
Seems like a good way to perforate your face. I keep one on the night stand, but leave the chamber empty just in-case.

denfoote
June 15, 2008, 09:04 PM
It probably was me!!! :evil:

I've kept a gun under my pillow for about 18 years now!!! :what:

The practice kept my house from being broken into by a daring daylight home invader.

I never had one of those fancy shelf laden headboards or a nightstand, hence, under the pillow!!

Besides, if it was good enough for Commander Bond, it ought to have been good enough for me!! :cool:

justin 561
June 15, 2008, 09:17 PM
Originally Posted by Nate C.
Sleep-"driving"?!?!?

Please elaborate

I have woken in my car at various times at countless places around my town. Walmart,Publix, even in the next city over (2.5miles away) I have to take extremely strong sleeping pills for me to stay in my bed. I have awoke in my back yard countless times or find my pillow or even a blanket in the back yard, garage and even in the bath tub. The sleep driving doesn't happen very often, but it does happen. Sleep eating and/or walking is more common, I go to bed, wake up in the morning to find some food sprawled out on the table or on the floor. It has been happening less since I was prescribed a high dose of a new med.

romma
June 15, 2008, 09:54 PM
In my sneaker right next to the bed.

Kosh75287
June 15, 2008, 10:06 PM
USUALLY, the 1911A1 stays between the box spring and the mattress, hammer down on a loaded chamber.

....unless I'm reading a Stephen King book....

.....THEN, the 1911A1 snuggles up with me (hammer down, EMPTY chamber), and the L1-A1 is RIGHT NEXT to the bed.....

Yes, I KNOW it's just fiction, but still....

gym
June 15, 2008, 11:34 PM
Bad idea, some folks sleep walk or get up and drive, make a meal and don't remember a thing the following day. Put it under or in between the mattress if you insist on having a gun in bed with you. When I was single and dating I would stick my gun under the mattress or in a lock box, when entertaining a young lady overnight. Just in case she was a nut job, I could at least feel comfortable that she wasn't going to get my pistol. By the way, I have a gizmo called the pillow pal, no it's not an infaltable doll, it's a fiberglass L shaped flat thing designed to fit between the matress and boxspring, with a clip to fit most holsters. I pull the bed pad over it and you can't see a gun lying flat against the side of the bed. Had it for years, if interested I can take a picture.

EclipseTarget
June 15, 2008, 11:39 PM
The idea of having the gun next to my head makes me just a bit nervous.

I keep one on the night table, and I figure if I'm alert enough to find it then I'm alert enough to use it.

moooose102
June 15, 2008, 11:53 PM
....unless I'm reading a Stephen King book....

that man has a SICK mind! i honestly believe that satan resides there.

Funderb
June 15, 2008, 11:58 PM
I sleep with a gun in my mouth, always know where it is....

not really, but i could see a pillowgun turning into something bad for me at night.

Jamie C.
June 16, 2008, 12:18 AM
If I read a Stephen King book I'm not gonna sleep that night anyway, so it's a non-issue.

I saw Salem's Lot on TV when I was 16 and haven't been able to sleep with the curtains open on the window since then. :uhoh:

I've also never gotten all the way through Pet Semitary... Might have something to do with the number of animals (mostly pets) I've had to put down and bury.

Yes, Mr. King has a very warped and twisted mind.

J.C.

sailortoo
June 16, 2008, 01:03 AM
#20 wins, hands down! If you can't trust your pillow, don't arm it.:p My wife and I arrived in a Washington State coastal town late and tired one evening, put up at a respectable looking motel for the night. Our room was in a some what isolated two story building, with us the only tenants - at least the only vehicle in sight. Turned out that the entry door to the room had the "safety chain" relocated at least five times, with the remains of the splintered former locations unrepaired. I not only slept with my Single Six under the pillow (you gotta go with what you have at the time!), I pulled the sofa over against the door for the night. No problem, but seemed prudent, considering the former break-ins. Every situation is different.
sailortoo

t3rmin
June 16, 2008, 01:10 AM
Cocked and locked, in a holster, in the middle space where my wife and my pillows meet. Directly under the pillow is rather lumpy...

LadySmith
June 16, 2008, 07:37 AM
Does anyone literally sleep with a gun under their pillow?
Yes, under the pillow and even in hand for a couple of decades now. Also, having it there saved my life.
It resides under the top half of the pillow in a cloth case tucked inside the pillow case. My head takes up the bottom half of the pillow. It's quite comfortable as long as I don't use cheap thin pillows.

The Wiry Irishman
June 16, 2008, 07:51 AM
I made a Tactical Nighttime Deployment System (TNDS) out of Tactical Adhesive Strips.

http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~alowe/TNDS.jpg

bmitchell
June 16, 2008, 08:27 AM
Often.

crazed_ss
June 16, 2008, 08:46 AM
I sleep with a M1A.. Im married to this weapon of steel and fiberglass and I will be faithful!

Mr White
June 16, 2008, 08:47 AM
Wiry Irishman, Does your real name happen to be Red Green? :D Carpe Ductum!! Sieze the Tape!!

So I guess the answer to my original question is yes, some people actually do sleep with a gun under their pillow. Definitely not for me, :eek: but if you do it and you're still alive and haven't shot your spouse during a nocturnal Stephen King moment, more power to you!

Omaha-BeenGlockin
June 16, 2008, 09:07 AM
Unchambered Glock 19 off the side of the bed---if it were chambered---I could see myself half asleep instinctively pulling the trigger.

If it was in the bed with me---I'd never find it if I needed it. Tried that a couple times and it was hard to find in all the blankets when I was fully awake.

foghornl
June 16, 2008, 09:12 AM
Many years back, when my Super Blackhawk was the only item in "Foggy's Artillery Locker", I actually kept that under the pillow at night.

Then one morning, I got up and starting spreading up the bed...moved my pillow, and there was my revolver...COCKED ! ! !

:what: :eek: :what: :eek: :what: :eek:

ilbob
June 16, 2008, 09:38 AM
I think it is generally a bad idea, especially for people that move around in their sleep like I do. no sleep walking but I do move around some, and often find pillows on the floor in the morning.

The Wiry Irishman
June 16, 2008, 06:22 PM
Wiry Irishman, Does your real name happen to be Red Green? Carpe Ductum!! Sieze the Tape!!

Its not made out of the handyman's secret weapon, it's made out of Tactical Adhesive Strips, I tell you!

I mean, honestly, what kind of operator buys a polymer framed handgun with a light rail then makes a holster for it out of duct tape? Come on, that's not tactical at all.

Rugerlvr
June 16, 2008, 06:42 PM
While I'm out camping, it's only a foot or two from my pillow.

hoosier8
June 16, 2008, 08:45 PM
On business trips, on the bed next to me under the covers with one in the chamber. I woke up once in a hotel with the door just closing. I don't move around much and the pistol I carry on trips is the Bersa T380CC with da/sa and a de-cocker/safety on safe. I would bet the LEO that slept with the pistol that went off had a Glock with one in the chamber.

Geronimo45
June 16, 2008, 09:26 PM
I've done it. Gave it up due to comfort issues. A 1911 in condition 3+1. Empty chamber, C&L. Have slept with a gun in the pocket, and with a gun in the holster.

Pigspitter
June 16, 2008, 10:08 PM
I live for cliches. Personally, I keep a MAC-10 and a kukri under my pillow. If the BG goes into my bedroom, I can put 30 rounds into him and chop his head off before he hears footsteps. I can do that because I sleep with both eyes open and I always talk in a whisper........it's what real operators do.

RONSTAR
June 17, 2008, 02:07 AM
I at times sleep with a weapon under my pillow I find the hard bulge to be comforting

ilbob
June 17, 2008, 12:05 PM
I would bet the LEO that slept with the pistol that went off had a Glock with one in the chamber.I would bet we won't ever know with any certainty what really happened.

Why pick on cops for unsafe gun handling? Its not any worse than Joe Citizen engaging in unsafe gun handling. Its not as if it requires extensive training to learn to safely handle firearms, and IMO anyone that owns a firearm has at least a moral obligation to learn to handle them safely.

Biker
June 17, 2008, 12:14 PM
If I feel it's necessary to sleep with a gun under my pillow, I'm not going to sleep that night.

However, there's always a gun within arm's reach.

Biker

white buffalo
June 17, 2008, 12:30 PM
I have for 25 years. It started out of neccessity, it was the safest place I could store it at night. Now I suppose it's just habit.
WB

Fred Thompson
June 17, 2008, 12:32 PM
Yes, I normally sleep with the Glock under the pillow. I live by myself so it's not an issue. When a date stays over it goes on the nightstand. if she sees it and freaks, well...

Thumper_6119
June 17, 2008, 12:53 PM
I'm a nightstander myself. I'm not too worried about someone sneaking up on me in the night. I have one of the best intruder alert systems on the planet: 4 schnauzers.

Cosmoline
June 17, 2008, 12:57 PM
I use a Mosin-Nagant AS my pillow, if that counts.

P97
June 17, 2008, 01:16 PM
I keep my CCW within reach and ready to fire at all times . If someone can guarantee me that they can tell me the exact time I'm going to need it, then I won't have to do this.

Thumper_6119
June 17, 2008, 01:21 PM
I use a Mosin-Nagant AS my pillow, if that counts.

ROFLMAO - Now that's funny right there!

HANDLOADER
June 17, 2008, 10:13 PM
Who dosen't sleep with a gun under there pillow. I my self prefere to sleep with it in my hand. Cant go to sleep with out it.

.38 Special
June 17, 2008, 10:35 PM
Post of the month. Even if I am the only one to get it. Good show!

Nate C.
June 17, 2008, 11:50 PM
Okay, I'll bite. Post a picture of the "pillow pal".

Zoogster
June 18, 2008, 12:12 AM
I do not think it is safe. The pillow with pressure applied downards on top of the gun can push enough fabric between the trigger guard and the trigger that if it got caught or was pushed to the right side it could pull the trigger.
Pillows are soft and fluffy and perfect to get in the trigger guard.

shooting4life
August 26, 2008, 02:02 PM
Mind is in the night stand, gun under the pillow would give me a neck problems; that and could kill me.

TT
August 26, 2008, 02:24 PM
I’ve had a gun under my pillow almost every night for the last 20 years. First a Browning High Power (C&L), then an H&K P7, a Kahr K40, a S&W M66, a Springfield Ultra Compact (again C&L), and currently a S&W M64. No AD/NDs. Not worried about it at all.

Crow1108
August 26, 2008, 02:36 PM
Used to keep my 1911 in my dresser (along with a couple of boxes of 12 ga slugs and buckshot...12 gauge is under my bed) till I realized it wouldn't take long to walk from the front door to the bedroom (we're in an apartment). Now I keep it in a holster stuck between the matress and the box-spring, easily within hand's reach. It works well enough, because since I am lying on top of it, it provides enough tension so I consciously have to draw it and remove the holster. Also keep my flashlight and 2 spare magazines with it. On a normal day when I'm at work (can't carry on base), the bed's made, and the sheets and blanket are over the gun.

dralarms
August 26, 2008, 03:35 PM
I keep mine in a wall safe, it's opened when I go to bed and closed when I get up. I have slept with a gun under my pillow but when I have to I do leave it in the holster, it's a carry lock holster so no chance of it falling out.

Dope
August 26, 2008, 04:18 PM
http://pillow-pal.net/

Pretty easy to find ;)

Love the website. Looks like it was made in 1980, if that were somehow possible.

Dope

indie
August 26, 2008, 04:28 PM
next to or directly under the bed at arms reach in an open case, or on top of the nightstand next to the bed.

Personally, I cant see the advantage of having it IN the bed with me. Even if i did sleep without tossing and turning and bunching up my pillows, and wasnt married, i still think i would somehow knock the gun between the mattress and the headboard or to the floor if awakened abruptly

Eyesac
August 26, 2008, 04:41 PM
Once I used a pistol (in a case) wrapped in a sweatshirt as a pillow whilst camping...:) Turns out I needed it that night as a bear decided to go through our belongings (don't worry, didn't shoot it), and so you know a pistol in a box wrapped in a shirt makes a lousy weapon... too slow...

BruceRDucer
August 26, 2008, 05:43 PM
/

:eek:

silentpoet
August 26, 2008, 05:55 PM
I have a good way to attach it to the end of the bed. Technically it might be under the pillow partly. But it is still safe and easy to get to while being well hidden.

If you enjoyed reading about "A gun under your pillow?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!