I'm sorry, but I tried...

PDA

TrapperReady
June 17, 2008, 12:41 AM
After following this little corner of THR for a while, I got enthusiatic about classic slipjoints and freehand sharpening. So, I removed the Benchmade from my front pocket and dug out a Shrade Old-Timer.

I also found my Arkansas stone, an old belt I use as a strop and some other assorted tools. I then sharpened. And sharpened. And sharpened.

Dirty hands. Lots of time. Not much Zen.

The end resut? A usable, but not razor-sharp edge.

So, I repeat the process. A few times. A litle less Zen each time.

The end result? A better edge. Not hair-popping sharp, but not bad.

I carry the knife for a few days. Twice, I reach into my pocket and it's not there. Once I find it in the seat of my truck. Once I find it in a chair.

Finally, I say something like "The heck with it" and swap back for the Benchmade. I spend about 3 minutes on the Sharpmaker and get an edge that's hair-popping sharp (it wasn't too bad to start with). With the clip, it stays in my pocket and doesn't pick up lint as fast.

Now, I'm not saying that the Benchmades are superior. I'm sure that my technique needs work. However, right now, I lean towards the easy. I will admit, though, that I really do appreciate some of the modern advances in knifemaking. Features like clips, one-handed opening, really good steel and decent locks are enhancements that I've found I prefer.

I appreciate the traditional knives and recognize their utility, but whenever I've "gone back in time", it doesn't last for more than a few days.

It's a good thing we've got choices! :)

If you enjoyed reading about "I'm sorry, but I tried..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
sm
June 17, 2008, 01:06 AM
Trapper,

You don't have to apologize to me, or anyone else around here.
I respect your druthers.

Oh, give Semi-Worthless-Dawg that knife, and that 3" Norton combo coarse /fine stone.
I done "learnt" your dawg how to Free-Paw sharpen.

Fire up some Janis Joplin, he like Free-Paw sharpening to her tunes...

Oh Lord, won't you buy me, a Mercedes Benz, all my friends drive Porsche's and I must make amends...

Brian Dale
June 17, 2008, 01:22 AM
You get to have more than one knife, Trap. ;)

Knife on the car seat & chair: yeah, I've got a couple of pairs of knife-losin' trousers, too. :uhoh:

The Tourist
June 17, 2008, 01:26 AM
Trapper, it could be a lot of things. But then to find the 'perfect' edge for a given knife you have to try a lot of things.

First off, not all knives are sharpened to the same angle. Not all alloys can hold that angle. Some angles aren't good for the jobs we force them to do.

You've heard me harp on good quality knives, a guy who knows HT, and a good high carbon low chromium alloy. The biggest reason is that a knife like that can function with the most flexibility. A thin, soft, carbon steel knife stropped to a feather edge might not even make it to the first afternoon in Sturgis. I've seen them fail if they hit a dinner plate cutting a steak.

Some guys like a very rough, coarse finish. As they rip through a session of field dressing they falsely believe their knife is superior due to the "chainsaw" feeling they get. Little do they know the knife is becoming dull with each swipe. Why is it we use the term "razor" but render the knife to an "axe"?

Every knife needs a certain set of parameters to function. If you used a toaster, for example, you want to start out with a clean, dry, grounded counter top. You might have gotten a great deal on that diesel fuel, but don't dump it into a Corvette.

Do the same with knives. Don't ask a blade, or any tool, to do a job it was not designed for.

sm
June 17, 2008, 01:36 AM
Sometimes, the Zen, touch, feel , just ain't there, with anything.

Writers get writer's block, a mechanic is all thumbs, a musician cannot be one with the instrument , and one cannot shoot the inside of a barn standing in it.

Set it down, walk away, free the mind and come back later.

This knife sharpening will "click" as will anything else.

The Tourist
June 17, 2008, 02:03 AM
sm is right. There are more failures as we learn than there are successes. Sometimes simply take a break. Now granted, I believe in the Zen approach to sharpening, but I like to take naps, too.

Eleven Mike
June 17, 2008, 06:23 AM
I carry the knife for a few days. Twice, I reach into my pocket and it's not there. Once I find it in the seat of my truck. Once I find it in a chair.

I find that nothing ever falls out of blue jean pockets. Ever. You must be wearing khakis or something.

Well, OK, sometimes things fall out of the leg pocket on my carpenter jeans, but not out of the other pockets.

Rupestris
June 17, 2008, 06:45 AM
Knife on the car seat & chair: yeah, I've got a couple of pairs of knife-losin' trousers, too.

I'm pretty sure thats what happened to the Sod Buster Jr. I was totin' a few weeks ago. :banghead:

The knife was big enough to bully its way past all the other stuff in my pocket and escape. Bad part is, it waited 'til I was away from home to do so.

Trapper Ready,

Don't apologize to me either. I keep a Spyderco or Benchmade clipped in one of the pockets of my car pack/man purse/"great, now I gotta walk home" bag. Like Brian said, you can have more than one.

Chris

hso
June 17, 2008, 09:34 AM
I have traditional pattern folders for their historical context and beauty.

I carry one hand opening clip equipped folders because I know where it is when I reach for it regardless of what else I have on me.

To each his own.

TrapperReady
June 17, 2008, 10:24 AM
Thanks for the replies. The apology was kind of tongue in cheek. My preference for daily carry leans heavily towards Benchmades (usually the "mini" models, due to the fact that my hands are small).

With regards to freehand sharpening, I'll do it to touch up a badly dinged blade (like if I drop one point-first onto concrete or tile :banghead:), but I find I get the best sharpness if I then finish it on a Sharpmaker. Freehand, I can make edges that look good, but not quite as sharp as I'd like. For me, the Sharpmaker just plain works.

The only slipjoint I own that I can get to scary sharp is a very old Case Eletrician, which was my dad's one and only pocket knife. The steel on that is great. The steel on the Old Timer I mentioned in the first post? Not as much.

Nostalgia and tradition is great. When I'm bird hunting, chances are the gun I'm using is going to be appreciably older than even Steve. :eek: However, try as I might, I really do prefer more modern knives.

waterhouse
June 17, 2008, 10:45 AM
I'm with you Trapper. Several months ago I tried carrying one of my dad's old Trappers. Unlike you, I was able to get a very sharp edge on it quickly, but like you I lost it briefly in the car and for a few days in the couch. The knife has some sentimental value, so along with not having it in my pocket when I needed it I had the fear of losing the knife. I will say I did not miss the one handed opening or the lock when I was using the Trapper, but I missed the clip, and that was enough.

I'm back to having the clip sticking out of my pocket again.

Brian Dale
June 17, 2008, 11:23 AM
When I'm bird hunting, chances are the gun I'm using is going to be appreciably older than even Steve. :eek: They made wheel lock shotguns? :evil:

{This 48-year-old ducks and looks for cover behind a stack of Heart, Willie Nelson and Linda Ronstadt LPs}
;)

Carl Levitian
June 17, 2008, 12:14 PM
Hey trapper, it's okay, different strokes for different folks.

Some people like pistachio ice cream while others like plain old vanillia like it came out of the hand cranked maker. I have carried some old fashioned slip joint pocket knives, but I hate being limited, and am a fan of the sak's. In my case I hate having a knife with just cutting blades. I find a screw driver and bottle opener too handy to not have. Anbd a saw is nice on occasion. But I know what you mean by the knife slipping out of a pocket. I have wondered many many times why clothing makers don't make all mens pants like jeans, with a pretty much horizontal pocket opening. If I have to wear dockers or dress pants, I run a lanyard from my sak to the belt and push the knot end of the lanyard under the belt.

Then of course theres the belt pouch.

sm
June 17, 2008, 01:41 PM
...I used to walk and from Old Fuff's Gun & Knife Cave, bare foot in the snow, both directions, in the snow.

Old Fuff had hair, and it was dark too!

So while Old Fuff make guns and all , his Sorta-Worthelss-Dawg, great dawg, one we all knew would pass on a great blood line, would make knives and sharpen them for folks.

Yep, yep, them were the days...

Carl Levitian
June 17, 2008, 04:27 PM
I got ya beat. I recall when that eye-talion guy Marco somethng came back from China with that black stuff that blew up if ya got a spark in it!:D

If you enjoyed reading about "I'm sorry, but I tried..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!