Sorry if this is "old hat" to you.....

PDA

SRT1
June 17, 2008, 10:30 AM
I was at a gun show last weekend and for the first tiime I saw Microtech OTF automatic knives. I instantly fell under their spell. The double edged scarabs are simply too cool. I normally would not consider such a plain looking thing a piece of art, but I do on these. Just what I need, another expensive habit to support. :rolleyes:
I didn't even know these type things were openly available until last weekend. Very cool.
Anyone here collect these? I admit to purchasing a scarab knock off from a neighboring stand just to see if I really liked it before spending the money on the real thing (the copy was $80, the real thing $500), and have come to the conclusion that I need to start saving up for the original.
I hear the microtech warranty and service is stellar, and I've heard great things about sutrdiness and longevity, but would love some real world thougths from those who own them, not those who are trying to seel them to me.
Thanks!
SRT

If you enjoyed reading about "Sorry if this is "old hat" to you....." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Tirod
June 17, 2008, 01:17 PM
You might check some edged forums for owner feedback. There are pro and con opinions about the maker, some having nothing to do with the actual knives, some about quality and it's control, warranty issues, the expected intent of promises to maintain a handmade line of high priced knives and whether that happened.

You could do worse, but take a look around at other makers just to get some balance. You may not find another product line's aesthetics that feeds that "thing" we experience emotionally, but remember, it is emotion, and you're planning to drop some coin just because of that.

Still, when you get bit, sometimes the virus takes hold . . .

SRT1
June 17, 2008, 01:35 PM
Thanks Tirod. I've been looking around at various "knife" forums. I'll keep learning and looking before dropping the wad of cash, but man they ARE cool!
SRT

hso
June 17, 2008, 03:51 PM
I have several MT OTFs and they've been of excellent quality. The early days of iffy QC seem to have passed for MT.

Other products are the MOD OTF based on the Harkins and the various Robbie Dalton OTFs. Heck, even Benchmade has an OTF these days.

JShirley
June 17, 2008, 04:23 PM
Not OTF, but Spyderco is finally offering autos (http://www.bladehq.com/cat--Spydero-Auto--204). :evil:

SCGirl
June 17, 2008, 06:01 PM
those are way cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SCGirl
June 17, 2008, 06:05 PM
I really liked the gerber autos......but those piranha autos just won me over!!!!!!!!!!!!! i have to get me, one (or two or three) of those!!!!

hso
June 17, 2008, 10:53 PM
John,

Any idea who builds those for Spyderco?

If you enjoyed reading about "Sorry if this is "old hat" to you....." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!